Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• richsrichs Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a used '99. I came a across a great looking deal on a leather package with the sports suspension package. My problem is the car is too far away to go for a test drive. Can anyone give me reactions to how the sports package handles. I'll be using the car for commuting and goofing around on weekends (not racing). Will the sports package make the ride too harsh to be enjoyable? I realize this is subjective, but would love some input anyway. Thanks.
  • pinecrestjimpinecrestjim Member Posts: 64
    Just curious - what happened to post 258? It doesn't appear on my listing.
  • solaxmansolaxman Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a 2 seat roadster and the Miata seemed to fit the bill. However, when I took one for a test drive it became apparent the leg room is very limited. I love the car otherwise. Has anyone out there heard of possible modifications which could be performed to the car to increase leg room; possibly a different seat or smaller steering wheel?
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    tilt wheel would be nice, wouldn't it? a smaller wheel is very possible, but of course you're increasing the steering effort and decreasing the turns lock-to-lock. momo wheels without airbag start around $170, figure at least double that with the airbag provision.

-Colin
    (also not liking footwheel and thigh room under steering wheel)
    re#260, curious:

the post was deleted for whatever reason. you can delete your own posts, so maybe someone changed their mind about writing something. otherwise you can assume it was spam or rude and a moderator purged it.

-Colin
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    Colin, did you not get enough sleep last night? A smaller steering wheel will decrease turns lock- to-lock? Because of the smaller circumference, your hands won't have to move as much to go lock-to-lock, but the number of turns will be the same.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    If the sports package is anything like the "R" package I got on my '94, it's an excellent choice. . .if you don't mind a stiff suspension. Depending on where in the country you live, and your past experience with performance cars, this could go either way for you.

If you live where it doesn't freeze much in the winter (ie, smooth roads & not very many potholes), that's a big plus. If you're used to American boat-type rides (Crown Victoria, etc), you'll probably think it's pretty abrupt.

Finally, I don't think the Bilsteins and somewhat stiffer springs are too much different than the typical Miata suspension, relative to "normal" cars, so if you like Miatas at all, you should love this one.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    Miata is a wonderful car, as many of you has found out. However, it can be hard to live with if you have certain physical proportions. Some owners have taken out foam in the seat and that make it somewhat better.
    It depends on how long your legs are. There are pretty tall owners out there and they have no problem while others who are not as tall but with long legs don't fit too well.
    You can change to a smaller steering wheel (like made by Momo and Nardi or others) but you will lose the airbag, and you will need spacers and adaptors to accomplish that.
  • usayitusayit Member Posts: 17
    Saw an interesting thing the other day at my local mazda dealer. There is an Evo Orange base miata that had its hardtop option deleted and a "wood/stripping" option added. They basically had some shop add a wood trim kit and pin stripping. Interesting... wonder if this means that they are having a difficult time pushing this one out the door.

I saw a silver LS on the road yesterday. Now thats sharp!
    As a matter of fact, I had gotten about 3 hours of sleep on Friday. ;)

It was truly a bad day to be an IT professional. Flew to Baton Rouge at 5:20am, did a job a trained monkey could have completed in 90min, poked around on the web and answered email then came home. But thanks to thunderstorms in Dallas, I didn't get home until 2am Saturday morning.

-Colin
  • x2ski2x2ski2 Member Posts: 5
    Here's my dilemma ... I'm selling my 98 Prelude (please, no groans) because of cost ($415 payment for 60 months, no thank you) and because I have always wanted a convertible and finally am in a position to buy one. In any case, I am trying to decide between a 97 del sol VTEC or a 97-99 Miata, hopefully with the sport suspension. Any chance of getting any of these beauties for about $15K? I've seen del sols in that price range, but am REALLY hoping for a 99 Miata instead. And, do you think that the 99 Miata used price will come down a bit when the 2001 comes out (August or September, right?). Is it worth the wait?

I hope I don't sound too clueless. I've done a lot of research on the del sol prices, but my Miata research is limited to what I have seen advertised - and that varies from $12K for a 97 to $20K for a 99. Yikes.

Thanks.
  • blackcurrantblackcurrant Member Posts: 152
    keep the lude....you've already paid the depreciation.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Of course prices will drop as new models come out.

I think if you want a real sportscar the Miata is your choice...the del Sol is pleasant but not really a sports car in the pure sense of the word...more a top down sunny day tourer.
    Well, I ended up getting my down payment, plus a cople hundred back from the sale of my Prelude (blackcurrant, not that I didn't take your advice, but I already had a buyer who took it off my hands today) so I am searching for a 99 Miata. Once more question ... I drove my Prelude pretty hard for a girl, what is the sport suspension like on the Miata? Is that worth it as well?

Back to driving ma and pa's Maxima until I get my little car ...

Thanks.
    Aw, shoot, you did ok then. ANyway, the consensus here is the miata is more fun to drive than the del sol. Of course, the del sol is more practical and with the vtec motor ought to feel quicker. But, the miata is a terrific car. A poster here just bought a 'new' one with the sport suspension, Hopefully, they'll answer your question..
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    I like my sports suspension equipped model very much ('99 10AE)...I feel the 15 inch wheels (compared to the base 14 inch wheels) is a worthwhile upgrade. You get higher grip but lose the ability to slide the tail out as easily (which is a *good* thing...lots of fun). I would not turn down a Miata if it didn't have the sports suspension. But you'll be glad once you have it.
  • sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    Hey all,
    Just added some pics of our new windstop on our '94 Miata. (Actually it was our Christmas gift for the Miata, but have been kinda slow in adding the pictures.) Check them out here:
    http://convertiblencats.homestead.com
    or
    http://www.homestead.com/convertiblencats
    It's great weather now for top down driving, so everyone enjoy it! We haven't had the top up in weeks now, except to wash the car. :-)
  • vjdmx5vjdmx5 Member Posts: 5
    When you get your '99 (or before), be sure to join the SAMOA (Sacramento Area Miata Owner's Assoc.)Miata club. It is probably the most active club in the country. They have runs almost every weekend to all parts of Northern California. They are a great bunch of people that will welcome you immediately. I was a member for 3 years until I had to move back East. Great technical support as well.

http://www.samoa.org/graphic_index.htm
    The sport suspension is worth it. It still falls short for serious autocross or track use, but it's a very competent street suspension. No miata is going to ride well, since they have little suspension travel and a very short wheelbase.

-Colin
    Thanks for all the advice. I am looking forward to test driving the Miata both with and without the sport suspension this weekend. Hope to find a good deal! Thanks again. Jen
    And dont' forget to bury that tachometer needle, or you won't get the full Miata experience!
  • loops_of_furyloops_of_fury Member Posts: 2
    x2ski2, I had a 97 Del Sol VTEC until recently (girl ran a red light in her Buick at 60+ mph and totaled it), and speaking from experience, I’d recommend the Miata as long as you enjoy driving it (and don’t have to buy groceries for the entire family). I think it’s one of the best looking cars out there and was ready to replace my Del Sol with one, until I took a test drive.
  • jim32301jim32301 Member Posts: 7
    Anyone in this forum have an 99 Anniversary or 00 SE? I'm wondering how you like it & how much you paid for it???? I'm starting to shop as the lease on my 98 Acura CL 3.0 is up in a year. I really want an S2000 but just don't think I'll be able to lease or find one & am not willing to part with $1000 deposit in the fall for a car I won't get till Aug. Choice #2 is either an Audi TT or the SE Miata. Thinking I may have the same probablem with the Audi as well. So I'm shopping the Miata. I read that Mazda will be upgrading horsepower to 155 for m.y. 01. I'm going to be looking for one at the end of m.y. 01 & beginning m.y. 02. I've shopped carsdirect.com & found that right now they have 00 SE's for UNDER invoice. Any input would be appreciated. You can e-mail if you prefer @ fsu30_uf23_1999@yahoo.com. Thanks!!!
    got a chance to test drive a 2000 Miata last night (I am assuming the 99 and 2000 drive the same) - both one with and without sport suspension. I can clearly tell the difference between the two, but I am not sure if it is so much of a difference that I have to have one or the other. Otherwise, the car handles great! I think I scared the salesman though.

For those out there like me who are wavering, I am leaning strongly to the Miata now, for sheer fun factor. There is absolutely no storage though, that is a downside. Oh well, there are some things you have to give up. I would rather it be storage!
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    Acutally, the miata is a mini-van of storage compared to Miatas only competition - the MR2.
  • judasjudas Member Posts: 217
    And the MR2 is a Ferrari in terms of performance compared to it's only competition, the Miata. Which would you rather have, a mini van or a ferrari?
  • mustang76mustang76 Member Posts: 6
    Ferrari in terms of competiton? not hardly.It may be a ferrari if your calling the miata a porsche turbo...
    MR2 is a Ferrari in terms of performance
    compared to it's only competition, the Miata.

I take it you can back it up? other then 0-60 acceleration I haven't seen any proof of that.
    Mustang, the Miata isn't a minivan compared the MR2 either, is it? So it's got a few more cubic feet, big whoop, this is a performance car, not a station wagon, and I'd be happy to sacrifice the small amount of storage for the mid engine performance. And it's you're not your.
    Handling numbers are similar, but the couple comparisons I've seen favor the MR2 in terms of handling, citing better balance and quicker turn in as the two main aspects. Acceleration is obviously no contest.
    The bottom line is I'm sick of people bashing the MR2 for it's lack of storage. Who cares? That's not it's intent. It's the same as Consumer Reports bashing the Wrangler because it doesn't have a nice highway ride. If you want a nice highway ride, buy a Lincoln Towncar, not a Wrangler. If you want a lot of storage, buy a minivan, not a roadster. I wouldn't buy a MR2 for a primary car because it doesn't have much storage. I also wouldn't buy the Miata for a primary car because it doesn't have much storage.
    Bashing? I think it is actually a benefit to the car. But some people, especially those who drive it as an only car, need the storage space. It is sometimes a necessity.
    Alright, we agree. I was just getting tired of hearing people say 'Don't get one, it doesn't have any storage space' rather than 'It's a great car, but it doesn't have any storage space, so if that's a major concern, don't get one'
  • tiltboytiltboy Member Posts: 63
    I just got in the shopping market for a new Miata. I see that Mazda is offering $1500 rebate right now. What kind of prices are the going for in relation to invoice? I only have one dealer in town, but they have 8-10 on the lot. I like the L model and the sticker is about $24,500. I think with the rebate and getting close to invoice should be around $21,000. Any comments or help much appreciated. It will be a third vehicle so storage not the issue. I like the look of the MR2, but not for 4-5 grand more and limited availability. Miata would fit my needs of a conv. sportster a great price. Thanks for the input.
    If they've got 8-10 on the lot I definitely wouldn't pay more than 300 - 500 over invoice, tops. Start out at 100 over invoice and stick to your guns until they're about to kill you. Then leave. Come back the next day. Go for the 100 over again, if they still don't go for it start creeping up. There are plenty of Miata's out there, and the MR2 is taking a chunk out of their sales.
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    I'd be a little bolder. I'd say offer $20K (under invoice). You can order one anytime you want from carpoint.com for $21K. The dealer down the street from me is advertising $5K off MSRP on all Miatas in stock. Last thing you want to happen is to have them take your first offer.
    I don't think people are really bashing the trunk space of the MR2, it's just that the MR2 has surprisingly little compared to the previous skimpy storage space champ, the Miata. I know the Miata is small but I've actually managed to pick up a reasonable amount of groceries on the way back from a spirited country drive (hungry after all those top-down miles). But the MR2-S's 2.3 cubic feet is really really stretching it for anybody who is going to use it as a primary driver and not just a Sunday toy.
    Well as long as were a correcting grammar, my name is mustang76 not Mustang. And i would'nt exactly say "no storage space" is a insult. It's part of the roadster tradition; no storage. But insulting a cars' performance with no facts or personal experience to back it up, thats a bit too far :) And the the MR2 is hardly taking any "chunk" out of the miata's sales with only 5,000 going to be made and sold. Have you actually driven one? O and pleese feal freee to corect anie of my gramer.
  • C13C13 Member Posts: 390
    I am the undisputed master, and I say that correcting the grammar, syntax or spelling of your fellow posters on an internet bulletin board is for dorks, dinks, dildos and amateur grammarians.

They're like kids in Civics who want to street-race against experienced geezers in M3's and 911's.

Buzz off, sonny, before you hurt yourself.
    thank you C13. Maybe judas is a kid in a civic?
    You'd better be nice to each other or I'll institute that male bonding sensitivity weekend I threatened you all with last time.
  • paige5paige5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mazda Lovers. I'm looking at a 1995 Mx-5 M Merlot with tan leather. I love this car...took a test drive last night. Haven't driven a real sports car since we put the '58 MGA in storage (about 25 yrs. ago). The asking price is $12,995, which doesn't seem too far off...but it doesn't seem to have the original wheels. Any chance I could ever find a set? It has gold-tone trim instead of chrome. Is this proper? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The M-edition of 1995 should have 15 inch BBS mesh style wheels. I think they were silver, and they are some of the most desirable OEM wheels for the Miata. They are light and they are 15 inches, with correct offset. I remember someone mentioning Mazda asks $800 a piece for these wheels. Anyway, it can be difficult to get originals if they are not on the car already. You can use it as a bargaining chip :)
  • monty44monty44 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 99 Anniversary Edition last May. With hardtop and ABS brakes we paid just over $25,000. Ok, call me crazy. This is the third Miata in my garage, a 93 Base model that is pretty modified a 93LE and now the 99 AE. Both 93 have over 60K miles on their clocks. ZERO mechanical problems. NOT ONE! So far same on the 99. SO go for it buy the 2000 or 99. Or take a look at a good used Miata. It will be the best car money you have ever spent!
    do you like the Miata? :)
  • monty44monty44 Member Posts: 2
    Sure but only on days ending in "Y"
    Now i HAVE to check one out. I might just HAVE to trade my camaro in on one!
    Good thing the Miata is a car. It would be illegal if it was a drug. So addictive.
    Wait... maybe it is a drug. It causes me to have a silly grin each time I go for a spin :)
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    The gold stuff, paige55, is a dealer add on the original buyer got stuck with. Not a problem unless you don't like it. The wheels may be a different deal -- the BBS rims were quite light and kept the unsprung weight of the car down. They were also v. attractive. At one point some of the aftermarket dealers @ Miata.net carried the OEM replacement wheels ... don't know if they still do, but it's worth checking. And BBS used to have a very similar wheel available for consumer purchase -- try their web site.

Looking at used Miatas is a good idea to keep the price down. I always think of that when people post here worried about how much they can "save" on a new one when there are a lot of great used ones on the market.

blackcurrent, unless you like to go straight ahead all the time, I suspect you won't believe the fun you'd have in a Miata. It's a MUCH easier car to drive, btw ... I mean to drive quickly. Let us know.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    It's just that i haven't had an opportunity to check out the miata. I love the new styling! I just need to drive one.

Problem is, my wife, who's very understanding about my sportscar interests, isn't receptive to a two seat car. Oh well, i guess i don't blame her. Those little jump seats in the Z sure come in handy with the kids!
  • plastechplastech Member Posts: 1
    Hey, to anybody. I've never been one to jump into online discussions, but recently took the plunge on a 1990 miata and am looking for confirmation that i've done a good thing.
    So far I love it. At $3,800 I'm in the midst of a 4-wheel brake job, complete, and new exhaust as well as new rubber.
    Just put some decent tunes in it but they seem so much less impoortant in this car than in a sedan.
    I've been reading through the postings this morning and wanted to weigh in with the people looking at brand new ones as a third car.
    DON'T. seriously, simple economics and depreciation should have you scouring the paper for several weeks. (I've been checking every week for a couple years before i found one that'll fit my criteria of being tip-top for about 5k)
    Any of you more experienced miata-heads care to confirm or trash my thoughts?
    cheers.
    plastech
    Blackcurrant,

The Miata and the Z28 feel are just about the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of performance/sports cars.

My friend who owns a '99 Z28 drove mine. He felt uncomfortable with it and didn't like it. He really thought it felt anemic (I can understand that) and thought the ride was too stiff and jittery. He thought it was way too "toy-like" feeling. Oh well, I guess not everybody is smitten with the Miata charms upon the first drive. Going from my Corrado, even I felt some of the same things but I have come to prefer the Miata-feel over just about anything else on the market.