Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Torque converter engagment on the Wrangler is 'firm' compared to most other vehicles, and you are using the correct technique for coming to a complete stop in a low traction situation. It's exactly the same as stopping in the same situation with a manual transmission, you'd dip the clutch just before you came to a stop (which has the same effect on the driven wheels as selecting neutral).
  • lorij1972lorij1972 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! We have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport and have had problems with the heater not blowing hot/warm air for over a year now. We have flushed the system 4 times and changed the thermostat at least three times. The dealer replaced the heater core (it was under warranty) and there was still no heat. It would work for a couple of days and then blow only cold air again.

My husband gave up on having heat but last month, the radiator blew and it also blew a gasket. When repairing the radiator and gasket, our mechanic checked the water pump and said that it needed replacing because it was completely worn. The total of this bill was close to $1300 and of course the warranty has expired because it is over 100k miles.

My question is this: could a defective water pump have caused the problems with the heater, radiator, and gaskets? The dealer is telling us no and will not defray the cost of this work. Should we pursue this and/or call Jeep? Any recommendations? Please help!! Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Lori
    Water pumps rarely wear in such a way as to reduce the circulation of coolant. They usually either leak, or the bearings fail. I suppose the impeller might fall off, but that would be a case of 'catastrophic failure' rather than 'worn'.

It sounds more like this was all caused by a leaking head gasket that gradually went from bad to worse (assuming that it was the head gasket that blew).
  • rocketguyrocketguy Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 1998 wrangler 4x4. It has an intermittent steering squeak when you turn the steering wheel. I have replaced the Power steering unit, checked fluids, etc. but the squeak seems to be coming inside or near the firewall. Has anyone had this problem? Can you help me solve this?

Thanks, Andy
  • mblack3mblack3 Member Posts: 10
    i have a 1998 wrangler 4 cly manual transmission and the clutch just went out any suggestions on a fair price to fix this ?
    The steering wheel makes its connection to the steering gearbox via three shafts, each of which has either universal joints or support bearings, all of which can wear or seize. Have someone turn the wheel while you get up close to identify the exact location of the squeak.
    It will vary according to the location and the size and type of shop, i.e. expect to pay more at city Jeep dealership than at a backwoods one-man shop.

To establish a fair price in your area just call half a dozen shops. Make sure that the price includes a complete clutch (pressure plate, friction plate, release bearing), and have the transmission and t/c drained and refilled at the same time.
  • dgarnerdgarner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Wrangler automatic. Just got it back from the shop and they don't have a clue what's wrong. It is running rough real bad. Has less than 13,000mi. someone please help. Darlene Garner
    Just got it back from the shop and they don't have a clue what's wrong. It is running rough real bad.

Darlene, it would help if you could define what you mean by "running rough real bad". Did it happen suddenly or did it develop gradually? Was any service or repair work done just beforehand?

It's a little difficult to even attempt an answer without some detailed information. :confuse:
  • matthewj1matthewj1 Member Posts: 5
    i will soon be starting my own Lemon Law case. My 2005 Wranler Sport goes back to the dealership tomorrow for the 4th time since Jan. it will be well over the 30 day maximum for attempted repairs after the latest stint at the dealership. can anyone out there provide me with any more info on how you went about getting a full refund? any advice, info, whatever will help. if you could, please reply at jehnmghotmail.com, as I check this regularly.
    Document everything! Remember that 'Lemon Laws' differ in each state, so do some serious online research for the details of your particular one. Finally, unless you enjoy receiving spam, don't make your email address publicly available where it can be harvested by spambots! :shades:
  • joe500joe500 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Sahara, bought it 3 months ago, has less than 35k miles on it. Leaks unbelievably. I have icecycles hangings from the ceiling, and when I put the heat on, it rains on me. The rugs are soaked, seats are damp. Afterwards it smells like a swamp inside, almost to the point where its undriveable. Took it in once to the dealership, they replaced the gaskets around the doors and windshield - failed miserably. Now they say there may be a crease along the bottom of the floorboards that may be leaking, so thats what they are looking at next. Anyone hear of this "crease" before? :confuse:
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Just checked this forum out. Mac, they should be paying you for this :)
    Mac, they should be paying you for this.

Every time I tell them that, they make me work even longer hours! :cry:
    I've not heard of a Wrangler leaking as badly as that, though there have been reports of a few '05 models with badly fitting doors which leak badly.

Even if it is leaking through the floor in some way, it's hard to imagine that it would allow water in to the extent that you're describing. If they claim a leaking 'crease' to be the cause, make sure to have them show it to you in detail.

P.S. Your description of 'icecycles' hanging from the ceiling conjures up an interesting picture! ;)
  • dgarnerdgarner Member Posts: 2
    Thank's for the reply. The Jeep just started running rough all of a sudden. Runs ok while cold but when it warms up it is rough. It's been back in the shop for a week since this last message. They have replace sparks and plugs, egr vaulve, coil, computer, and nothing has worked. Now they think carbin has builded up and it needs a head job. I don't think they know but maybe it will work. Let me hear from you thanking you in advance. Darlene
    It sounds like they're just throwing parts at it in the hope that something will fix it. I'd suggest you take it to a shop that's a little more professional, and that understands how to use logic (and a scanner) to diagnose what should be a simple problem.

If it runs ok when cold but badly when warmed up, that would suggest that it has a fuel/air mixture that's too rich. The most common issue is a faulty O² sensor, though not the only cause by any means. You need to have the on-board computer read for any fault codes (Autozone will do it free), which will give an accurate indication of where the fault lies.

Your symptoms sound nothing like carbon buildup on the valves. However, that diagnosis and the work previously done does indicate a lot about the incompetence of the shop involved. I trust that this isn't a Jeep dealership you're using? (If it is.....SHAME ON THEM!!!).
  • jakestertsu19jakestertsu19 Member Posts: 6
    i just bought a 98 wrangler on the 22nd. i'm very happy with it but just today it started to run rough for about 5 seconds or so. by rough i mean that the engine starts to cut out a little and the jeep starts to jerk a little bit. after that it runs fine and it only happens after i just start it and start driving down the road. i have a feeling it may be a fuel filter or possibly an O2 sensor. does anyone have any suggestions on what it may be? any help is most appreciated
  • extremebigdogextremebigdog Member Posts: 10
    I had that same problem on a 2000 Wrangler. I didn't really want to do any 'real' repairs so I tried some fuel cleaner. I think it was a fuel injector cleaner or something. Anyways, it did the trick and I didn't have the problem again. Actually I did it twice, once with a cheap brand ($5) and once with a slick50 cleaner ($15). So I don't really know which one did the trick.
    i just put a bottle of gumout in there tongiht but i think i'll try putting in another, more expensive bottle, on my next fill up. thanks man i appreciate the suggestion.
  • joe500joe500 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - The service department tells me the icecycles are created by the moisture (actually soaked rugs) from the bottom of the jeep being heated, and the condensation rising to the roof. It then re-freezes and creates the stalactites. Then when I put the heat on, they melt, causing it to "rain" and soaking the floor again. My jeep has its own weather pattern. Science at it's best.
    Does anyone know what an Engine Speed Input Circuit is? my check engine light came on and i have a bad O2 sensor and it told me that the ESI circuit is malfunctioning. I was just curious if anyone knew what it was.
    What code(s) did you get, and what symptoms are being exhibited?
    i don't remember the code numbers but it cuts out and seems like the engine is choking for about 10 seconds then runs fine until i'm done driving. Like i said i also have an O2 sensor out but i forgot to find out wich is bad so i have to wait for the check engine light to come back on so i can have it checked again.
    The PCM derives engine speed information from both the CPS sensors. I'm intrigued as to which code indicated ESI circuit problems, so do post it when it returns. Replacing the O² sensor is a no brainer.
  • jpiekszajpieksza Member Posts: 2
    I just changed the battery in my 2000 Wrangler Sahara. I get a strong spark when I turn the key but the engine will not run. I do have a DEI Viper security system, but don't think it is interferring. I reset the system after I changed the battery. Is it just starving for fuel? Should I change the fuel filter or is there somthing else that I am not considering?
    yeah the O2 sensor is a no brainer so no sweat there but i will def post what i find out about the ESI circuit.
    There's no reason the fuel filter should suddenly have become blocked because the battery was changed.

It does sound as if it's a fuel delivery problem though. Does the pump run? Is the security system wired to the fuel pump relay? Do you have a 'check engine' light or any codes?
  • jpiekszajpieksza Member Posts: 2
    No check engine light on. But....the Jeep has been sitting without use for about 2 months (I previously jump started and even charged the battery etc. to try and get it going). I just went back down to the garage and gave it a few pumps on the gas and turned the key. It turned over and I ran it for 10-15 minutes. I'm confused, but it is now running.
  • silos99tjsilos99tj Member Posts: 1
    How's it Fellas,
    I have a 99 TJ. It has a fast clicking sound coming from the flasher unit, under the dash. The sound stops when brake pedal is pushed, but not when just the hand brake is applied. When signaling left or right the sound changes to the normal turn signal click. Changed the flasher relay (or the box that was making the clicking) but that did not fix the problem.
    All the lights are working. But one time I notice the front and side marker were alternating. Signal left the left FT. then the LT. side would go, and so on. same when I tried the other side. That went away after a minute or so, and haven't seen it since.
    A litte help Fellas? That clicking is driving me crazy.
    i finally was able to check what was wrong with my jeep today and it only told me that the O2 sensor was bad. last time i had it checked the ESI circuit was also malfunctioning but oh well. i bought the part and i'm hoping to get it on later today.
  • mblack3mblack3 Member Posts: 10
    i had the same problem with my 1997 wrangler it was the oxygen sensor before the cat converter fixed the problem
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Member Posts: 168
    All,
    I have an 04 Unlimited. In cold weather, especially below freezing, it has developed a bad buzz at part throttle. Here's the parameters:
    -Sounds like it's coming from the firewall
    -Heavy vibrating buzz. Would sound like a quarter on your table when a train goes by, or placing it on a subwoofer.
    -Only happens in gear (auto) and only at the first few millimeters of throttle pedal.
    -Took the dash top and radio and ac controls out but could not seem to get closer to it. Wonder if it's coming from the engine compartment against the firewall?
    -Totally not present once the gas goes farther down or at highway speeds. Repeats going away from every stop.

It's bizarre, and something I'd rather just quickly fix rather than wait all day at the dealer, but it has totally eluded me so far.
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    I have exactly the same issue on my '04 X Automatic. It only happens right around 1,000 rpms. It's quiet below and above 1K. I haven't tried to solve the problem yet because all of my free time is being sucked into my basement finishing project...

I hope someone has an easy fix. So far mine has been to turn the radio up louder. :)

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • mijeeper97mijeeper97 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with 94,000 miles. There is a starting problem when the engine is hot. When the engine is cold, there are no problems. Getting gas is a perfect example of the problem. Turn the jeep off for a couple of minutes, go to start it and it turns and turns and turns. Then I have to turn the key back and try again. Usually the second try it starts up. Yesterday was the first time that I had to turn it three times. It's only when the engine is hot. It hasn't stranded me yet. Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Thanks a lot.
    Start with the basics. How many miles ago were the plugs/wires/cap/rotor changed? Although it's likely to be fuel related, having a marginal ignition system won't help.

Assuming the ignition is ok, then the most likely cause is a leaking injector(s) causing an over rich mixture. Next time you try a hot start, hold the gas pedal to the floor while you turn the key (and let it up as soon as the engine fires). If it fires straight away then that was your problem.
  • jt828jt828 Member Posts: 12
    I just bought 1997 wrangler it has about 4" of lift on it, when i'm in 3rd at about 30mph or so while the motor might be under a bit of strain the left front wheel will for no apparent reason just start bouncing perfusley i have shook everything and everything appears to be as tight as can be
    It's not unusual with a lift over 3". Torque reaction combined with a raised center of gravity. If you push it a bit harder you'll get the wheel right off the ground.

What type of lift do you have?
  • 99tjguy99tjguy Member Posts: 2
    Now I can't turn the ignition on (but the key comes out: :shades: )and I am having to start it with a screwdriver. The release for the tumbler will not work because I can't turn the key...How do I get it out? :mad:

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement bracket that holds the key release button for a 1999 Jeep TJ???? :confuse:

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!
    i just bought the jeep yesterday so i do not know yet is there any way to fix this problem that you know of?
    Sorry to spoil your day, but here's a quote from the '99 FSM:

"On vehicles equipped with a manual transmission,
    a lever is located on the steering column behind the
    ignition key lock cylinder. The lever must be operated
    to allow rotation of the ignition key lock cylinder. The
    lever mechanism is not serviced separately. If repair
    is necessary, the steering column assembly must be
    replaced."

It's hard to tell what's causing your problem without actually seeing it, but you should be able to remove the lock cylinder and tumblers by drilling it out. You may then be able to fix whatever is causing the lever to jam. A new cylinder can be obtained from the dealer.
    Assuming that the lift has been fitted correctly and that nothing is loose, then apart from fitting a lower lift there's nothing to be done.

A 4" lift on a short wheelbase vehicle like a Wrangler has a much greater effect on the c of g and the handling than it would on a longer vehicle like a full size F250.

Unless you have a specific need for 4" of lift, a 2" - 2 1/2" lift is much more vehicle and user friendly on a Wrangler.
    I have jacked it up and shook everything and i cannot find anything loose. How bout a stabilizer between the spring and stabelizer arm do you think that may correct anything. and the thing about the lift is it had 35x12.50 on it and as i said i just bought it yesterday
  • jetfan1jetfan1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 93 jeep wrangler and when driving it it does not have a winding noise and i think on rear end noise when u let of the gas it should quit, but it dont seems like tire noise but kinda sounds like something rubbing or grinding, but checked underneath but dont see anything rubbing kinda sounds like a grinding noise and when you hit the brakes it dont make a differance but a highway speed you dont hear it,only a a slower speed or coming to a stop hope it is not rear end :cry
  • lanceklancek Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 99 wrangler and don't know how to fold down the soft top. If anyone could help i really would appreciate it.
  • dnashdnash Member Posts: 35
    I have a 2000 and have the same problem. I am pretty sure I know the root cause, but I have not explored getting it fixed yet. (has been going on for several years) I was out on the golf course when an afternoon shower hit. Unfortunately, the top was down. I believe that water went into the steering column throught the hazard switch on top (you would think they would design it to handle this). I am assuming something is corroded or shorted in the hazard switch. When the brakes are pressed, it probably diverts the current away from this switch. Same with the turn signals. I think I have had intermittent issues with the turn signals, although I can't see them every time so I am not sure. If you get it fixed, please post the details.
    Problem found for those intrested it was a seperated belt in one of those 35x12.50 (left front)
  • 95yj95yj Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Sahara 4.0 6 cyl. My battery drained so I removed the alternator and had it tested. It showed that it was bad so I replaced it. The new one won't charge the battery, but it tested good. Charge is getting to the battery, but not a full charge. All connections are tight. Battery is good. Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • dawells23dawells23 Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have the same symptoms; '97 Wrangler 4.0. I was reluctant to drop the gas tank and replace the fuel pump. However, I strongly suspect the fuel pump and I have replaced the coil recently. This problem was very intermittent at first but is happening much more often now.

Please let me know how you are progressing on solving your problem.
  • jvprjvpr Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler X and have to say that it's the biggest nightmare that I have ever owned. I will never buy another Jeep or Chrysler or
    American car ever again! The Jeep bounces you around. You can't hear the radio.
    You can't talk to anyone on a cell. It has no pickup. I've taken the roof off
    once- and NEVER AGAIN! It was such a headache to put it back together. It
    guzzles gas like crazy. It has no handling. The glove compartment is too small.
    You have to hold the gas hose while pumping gas and can't let it sit alone.
    Picking up dry cleaning is a pain because there's no where to hang anything. I
    have no trunk so when after I play golf I just can't leave my golf clubs in
    there. I have had to put patches on my tires four times already and the tires
    wear at an abnormal rate. The jeep has no wind aerodynamics- so on an open
    highway- you get blown everywhere and I have to struggle to keep this crap on
    the road. I'm done with it. Tomorrow I'm trading in for an Ultimate Driving
    Machine and can't wait!