Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• 2003help2003help Member Posts: 23
    4x4 with 605 miles with a squeaking belt sound.
    Took it to the dealer and they found the problem. They told me they didn't stock the part because the truck is so new. That took an extra day. Part came in the belt was replaced.
    Have driven the truck about 185 miles and the squeak is back.
    Was told to bring the car in It's probably a belt tentioner bearing.
    Was told if it is they will have to find out which one it is (of the 4). And order the part, of which will take a day.
    Is this the case on new 2003 4Runners.
    Stock not on hand, order the warranty part, get your car in 2 days?
    Any help or input
  • sovangsovang Member Posts: 56
    2 days sound pretty good. The plastic molding on the roof keeps coming off on my 4runner and it usually take them a week to get the part in. I have had the molding replaced twice already. It is strange that the molding just want stick.

SV
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    For those interested, BrandSport is blowing outGentex electrochromatic auto-dimming rear view mirrors for $49 w/ free shipping that will fit all years of 4runner:

Toyota 4Runner 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 (fits models with factory windshield mounted mirror only)

The mirror came in a Genuine Toyota Parts box:
    Description: Mirror, EC, RR View
    Part no: PT374-0C020

The dealership wanted a fortune for this add on...

SEE SITE FOR OTHER TOYOTA APPLICATIONS.
    These are JUST the mirror WITHOUT the compass or maplights. Was an easy two wire hookup. Mine arrived today and it took me 10 mins to install in my 2003 4Runner SR5. (I grounded at the bolt at base of the dash, and plugged hot side into accessory fuse) See this URL if you're interested in this steal of a deal for an auto dimming mirror:

http://www.brandsport.com/toy-pt374-0c020.html
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    The factory drawbar (ball mount) for my '03 takes a ball with a 1- 1/4" diameter shank (not 1-1/2"). Mine came with a reducer sleeve so it's also usable with a 1" diameter shank.

I was able to find a 2" ball with a 1-1/4" diameter shank locally. If you can't do that, here's an online source:

http://www.etrailerpart.com/hitchballs.htm

Only the drawbar is rated to pull 10,000 pounds. The hitch receiver delivered so far on '03 'Runners has been a standard Class 4 model, which is only rated for 5,000 lbs. Toyota has announced they're upgrading hitch receivers on currently-built models to yield a tow capacity of 7,300 lbs (V8 2WD) or 7,000 lbs (V8, 4WD).

-Karl
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    My '03 runner came with a parts package that included the ball, a lock washer, a nut and a bushing to make the smaller ball shank fit the hole in the draw bar. However, it turned out that I had to go buy a new ball and a new draw bar with a 2" (or was it 1 1/2?) drop to make my Coleman pop-up tow level. It had the same problem (hole too big) but the Coleman dealer produced a bushing and I think charged me a quarter for it. He also had to saw off a few inches of the new draw bar to make it short enough to fit. I'm sure any hitch dealer would have the necessary bushing.

By the way, I towed the pop-up about 1,000 miles week before last. The runner did great. My only complaint is that even small rolling hills in Kansas caused the 5 speed transmission to drop out of OD frequently, so I drove a lot with OD off to keep the tranny from hunting back and forth. Seems like with that much torque it would be able to pull the small hills in OD (for that matter, the Runner drops out of OD more often than I'd like even when not towing a trailer). My recollection is that my V6 Highlander towing the same trailer did not drop out of OD as much. In all other respects, though, the Runner is much more capable as a tow vehicle than the Highlander was. I'm leaving for a 3,000 mile trip through the Rockies on Saturday. We'll see how the Runner tows over the high mountain passes!
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    KHAUG said you should not run transmission in 3rd without od or it will overheat tranny. MR. toyota cliffy said you could run it all day if your towing. who is right?
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Which motor do you have?
  • lasaklasak Member Posts: 4
    Hello, pls. help! the dealer offered me out door price 27,983 for the 03 SR5 4x4 v6 SR5 appearance Pkg. and 16 alu. wheels, these are in standard features.. MY OPTIONAL TO add OR I"M GONNA PAY are Moon roof, roof rack,double decker cargo w/ cargo net, daytime running lights, preferred accessory package w/c are; carpeted floor mats,cargo mat,cargo net,first aid kit..
    DO I GET A GOOD PRICE?? highly appreatiated if you guys help me.. thanks
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I would recommend against the double decker cargo rack. I'd also recommend against the carpeted floor mats. I would say get after market good quality rubber mats. The carpeted ones are just too easy to get permanently dirty if you off road.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    You should never tow anything with the OD engaged. Keeping OD engaged while towing will boil your tranny oil and cause catastrophic tranny damage. Always disengage the OD when towing anything. It might kill you mileage, but it won't kill your tranny.
  • lasaklasak Member Posts: 4
    Hello pat, thanks i appreaciate it...

lasak
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    My 2003 V6 had the same belt problem. They replaced the belt and the auto-tensioner 6 weeks ago and I have not had the problem since. It took a while to get parts (over a week) so I assumed it was a widespread problem. They gave me a free loaner with each visit so I can't really complain.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    I was able to get a whiff of the smell from a V6. The process is consistent with the information from previous posts here and elsewhere.

Just roll down the rear (tailgate) window and the right rear window. Then, after driving for a while without strong acceleration, find a place where you can stop and then use heavy acceleration for a few seconds. If your experience is like mine, you'll get a few seconds of the smell in mild to moderate intensity.

So it seems that heavy acceleration (and presumably the rich fuel mixture that goes along with it) can mobilize sulfur compounds that gradually accumulate in the cat converters. This doesn't explain why some V8s do it almost constantly, though.

BTW, most recent MPG at fill-up was 20.2 in mixed driving. I found in my previous car that the filling of the tank was less consistent after I stopped "topping off" and so I think these MPG numbers may bounce around for that reason, among others. But it is one more data point for those who care.

Also BTW, these things sure seem to have plenty of power. I was going uphill and didn't use full throttle, and I still could only accelerate hard for a few seconds before reaching a speed where I had to back off. Nice!
    It's a V6 4X4 mrwhipple
    Thanks ddw5 at least I don't feel like I'm the only one. It's not hurting the motor, is it? Can they change it in a day?
    Thats the deal though. I want a loaner if it takes two days in the shop. Ex warranty would have given me that.
    If they need my car for that extra day should I rent a car and hope they reimburse me? Can't be without a car.
  • 2walker2walker Member Posts: 9
    Had the same problem with my '03 V6 - details in msg #6285. In 10 days since my last post the offending noise has all but gone away. I'd be curious if your squeak seems timed to when the lettering on the belt goes over the tensioners. Could this simply be a new belt/texture issue?
    Eric
  • txaudtxaud Member Posts: 6
    I also had this problem in my '03 V6. The dealer put "spacers" behind or on the tensioners. So far it has worked. Quite a few of these have come to the dealerships in my area for this same problem. The service manager said that Toyota is working on this and a recall or a better/consistent fix should be out at some point.
  • car_geekcar_geek Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like you got a pretty good price if 'out the door' includes all taxes, licensing etc. ? Not sure what state your in ?

Also with regards to the double decker cargo system this is something that you can always purchase later on if you should so desire - the only advantage is that you may get a better deal on it at the time of purchase. I think it's kinda cool but not sure how functional it really is......

other options I'd consider are the factory roof rack (handy for skiing and camping) and running boards - they cost about the same as after market and resale value will be higher with the factory stuff. These may not be as important to you ?
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    Does anybody know what the latest release number and date is for the navigation DVD?

Thanks,
    Morry
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    You ARE taking your trucks off-road, aren't you? You would've bought a Highlander otherwise, right? So, let's hear about it! Where it went, where it didn't go, where it got stuck, where you helped someone to get unstuck...
    >KHAUG said you should not run transmission in 3rd without od or it will overheat tranny

Actually, that's not what I said. I said I paid close attention to the tach and would manually disengage OD if the truck was running with the torque converter unlocked for a long time. I used one minute as the standard for when I needed to disengage OD.

Most of my towing was done with OD engaged, but using the precaution I've outlined above. It may well be that you can safely tow in OD without doing the manual downshift I did. However, Toyota recommends disengaging OD when towing. I found that cost about 1.5 mpg, so went to the manual shifting routine.

-Karl
  • chris_in_boisechris_in_boise Member Posts: 18
    Hmmmm. I doubt that the double decker cargo thing is available as an after-sale add on.

I've got one on my 4Runner and I can't figure out how to get it out without cutting carpet (which, of course, I won't do)!

I've never used it, I can't imagine using it. It's about as useful as nipples on men.

I just wish that I could remove it and store it somewhere.
    DROPPED THE 4RUNNER OFF THE MORNING TO A DIFFERENT DEALERSHIP, THINKING THEY MAY HAVE A SOLUTION.
    JUST GOT A CALL BACK (APROX. 3HRS)
    WAS TOLD THAT THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO AT THIS TIME.
    THEY CALLED TOYOTA AND WERE TOLD TOYOTA IS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM...
    I WAS TOLD I SHOULD HERE SOMETHING FROM THEM WITHIN 30 DAYS OR SO...WHAT EVER THAT MEANS. TRY AND LIVE WITH THE NOISE FOR A LITTLE WHILE.
    WERE THEY JOKING? NOTHING THEY CAN DO? HAS TOYOTA EVER DROPPED THE BALL LIKE THIS, OR DO I NEED TO GO TO ANOTHER DEALERSHIP.
    MY WIFE NOW WANTS TO RETURN THE CAR TO ORIGINAL DEALERSHIP UNDER THE PRETENSE THEY KNEW ABOUT THE PROBLEM AND SOLD US THE CAR ANYWAY.
    WHATS THE LEMON LAW IF ANYONE KNOWS
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    I would contact Toyota directly. I think some folks here have done so through their web site. I never underestimate a dealer's incompetence, though I've been fortunate with mine so far. In the meantime, get some belt dressing (the liquid not he spray-on as that doesn't last). It will at least quiet the belt until you can get it fixed.
  • 4runtexas4runtexas Member Posts: 31
    hello everyone, first time post, just wanted to say hi to everyone, i've been reading the posts for a long time.

just have a question to see if maybe someone could help me with....

im looking to purchase a chrome exhaust tip for my 4runner, 03 and was wondering what size i will need, all the dimensions.

for anyone interested, theres a huge selection on truckaddons.com, i just need help on what size i need! thanks guys
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    Hey 4runner fans, we all see the base models with the color keyed fenders and bumpers, but still have not seen these so called and eagerly awaited Sport Edition 4 runners with the std. equipment appearance pkg. or painted fenders as I call it.
      So, PLEASE! if anyone across the country sees any of these,(can tell by the hood scoop),post it and include state where seen. I would like a heads up and am ready to buy as soon as one backs off the trailer at my favorite dealer, Thanks!!!
  • jagsdadjagsdad Member Posts: 56
    Carson toyota (in So Cal.) has the sport in white with monotone paint. Check out the inventory on carsontoyota.com.
  • jonnytightjonnytight Member Posts: 15
    i got a 99 4runner with 15" rims....i wanted to know what size of oversized tires will fit on the suv. what brand is good and wat size/model thanks for your input

-jon
  • rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone added the Six disk changer to the '03 JBL sys w/ NAV? Please tell me if you are able to select disks directly, as opposed to stepping through them sequentially with the SCAN function.

THX
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check in Tires, tires, tires too for tire suggestions.

Steve, Host
    If anyone locates an 03 4Runner (Limited or Sport) on a dealer's lot with a V8, X-REAS, Navigation, and Side/Rear Airbags, please let me know.
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks jagsdad, that is an excellent dealer site. Have not seen any here in Jersey yet but now I know they might be. As far as your request,I have not seen Nav in anything on the lots here but will keep an eye out.
    I received a notice that my 4Runner was not equipped with vanity mirrors. If I want the vanity mirror equipped sun visors, I have until June 2006 to call my dealer and have the vanity mirror sun visors put on.
      I guess Toyota doesn't want me rush into this decision.
      Are the vanity mirror equipped sun visors as thick as the ones I have ? Mine are about 3/8 inch thick. They are the fattest sun visors I've ever seen. Are the vanity mirrors lighted ?
     My wife has commented about the lack of a vanity mirror. I'll get them for her. I assume only the passenger side gets a vanity mirror.
    Jared:

I read your post about your experience with your build order from Carson. I put my order in with Carson two weeks ago. You said you got yours in 3 months. They are telling me it will be 4. Did they tell you the same? Is 4 a conservative estimate?

So far I have been very impressed with the people there. They seem to know how to do a build order. Like you, I've been told the deal with be $500 over invoice. But they have said they can't give me an exact $ number until the truck gets in and they see the invoice. Did you have the same experience? Were there any suprise fees? Any additional advice on the process would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian (I'm Jag's Dad)
  • srini81srini81 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking to buy a Limited V6 and the local dealer has one with the XREAS. I've read on these boards a while back that folks were having some issues with the XREAS. Is it a worthy option? I'm not much of an offroad guy but I do go to the mountains a lot for snowboarding trips. Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated.
    I think the X-reas is definitely worth it. I haven't had any problems with it. It keeps the 4 Runner more stable in turns on the road. It may have made some difference off road on the sand at the beach, but I was going pretty slow.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Brian,

I think my original estimate was 3-4 months. I definitely got mine early according to the other orders that were put in though. If they told you 4 months, it's probably conservative, but don't think they are trying to trick you in any way. Just remember, they have to deal with certain people that would get upset if carson told them 3 months, and it came in 3.5 months.

As far as pricing is concerned, yes they told me how much over invoice, and gave a best guess of what that would be, but they wouldn't commit to a price until they saw the ACTUAL invoice on the vehicle. For your information, the best guess they gave me was a bit more than the invoice because of toyota's recent rebates/pricing changes. Again remember that in 4 months, invoice price could change, so again, don't think they are trying pull a fast one on you. As far as hidden costs go... no, I didn't have ANY problem with that. When I went to pick up my truck, I went in all ready to kick some butt on hidden costs, but I worried for nothing. The only cost that some consider hidden (but if you asked carson right now, they'd tell you about it, so it isn't really hidden) is the toyota 'advertising' fee or whatever that is called. I didn't consider it hidden, because it has been discussed in here before, and everyone has to pay it.

Any additional advice... hmmm, they were so great and the process was so easy, I guess the only advice I could give you, is... don't be on the 405 anytime close to rush hour! Take the day off, and pick it up about 10:00am, trust me.

Hope that answered your questions,
    Jared
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    405??? RUSH HOUR???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

(starts laughing hysterically, bangs his head with reckless abandon against the wall, bites a cactus).

Seriously, folks, traffic jams in the states drove me nuts. I would've gladly paid 5-6 cents more per gallon just for them to bulid a functioning public transit system and take half the cars off the road. But it was just wishful thinking. Who would've thought Canadian commies would do such a marvelous job managing traffic flows, at least in every city not called Toronto?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    265/70s will go right on there, will throw your speedo off a little bit. Did you want to go bigger than that?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• fishingguyfishingguy Member Posts: 34
    2003 V-8 4X4 running fantastic after 6k miles. Have been towing a fair bit from Atl to Pensacola (approx 2200 lbs) and very plese cept mileage (9.5 mpg towing, 18 without). Two warranty questions.

1. The clear plastic over the instruments has scratched pretty badly - lots of fine scratches. Yes I used a paper towel before reading in the manual that one should only use a "soft cloth". I have never had a car do this though and have used a paper towel forever. Any clue whether this would be fixed as warranty work? I am not sure I really want someone to take apart the dash in the first place but might if it free.

2) I ordered the non-factory leather (SE Distributors) and am very pleased with it but have a small cut in the backseat. Any idea on whether this should be fixed / replace under warranty? If not, would a leather shope simply stitch it?
  • jonnytightjonnytight Member Posts: 15
    i currently have 225/75r15 on my 99 4runner...and it looks too small for the suv..i wanted to get bigger tires to match the car..you suggested 265/70 will that take care of the small tire look? i also wanted to get the rugged off-road look w/ the tire and suggestions on the brand?

thanks
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    For all of you towing experts out there... I was trying to rent an auto trailer (where all four wheels of the car I'm transporting are on the trailer) from U-Haul and they won't let me! Their reason, the combined weight of the trailer 1700lbs and the car I'm putting on it 3200lbs is heavier than my 01 4WD Runner's Curb Weight(3930lbs). The clerk said that even if the towing capacity of my 4 runner is 5K lbs!
      I never towed before, so please excuse me if this is a common knowledge.
    Thanks Guys
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    yes, the 265/70/15s are the original stock "off-road" tire size that Toyota used, and they fill up the wheel wells pretty well. Of course, you could go one step further and get a set of 16" rims, which was the stock size for Toyota's off-road package. Or you could go to 32" truck tires, which some people put on the 15" rims to accomplish the same effect visually, but with more tire.

Michelin LTX A/T is a pretty good tire, or the BF Goodrich all-terrain tire, if you want the real deal. But the look of the tires is less important for the visuals, and unless you really want to go offroad, these tires will cost you in noise, cornering, and treadwear.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    A couple of things: your combined load (trailor w/ car) was pushing 5k lbs. (4900 if my high school math is still any good).

Second, was the trailer equipped with trailer brakes? I think Toyota's rating for trailers W/O brakes is somewhere around 1500 lbs.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Please turn off your caps lock button. You may get a better response if you DON'T SHOUT.
  • stillookinstillookin Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a 2003 4runner SR5. When I start the engine or move it into gear from reverse to (D) drive or back again, the engine revs a bit.(2-300 rpms) for a very brief moment...is this ok? Obviously the car revs upon starting but it revs up past the usual idle speed and then settles down to an idle speed. The same for when I put it in reverse or drive. This all happens in very brief seconds but worries me. I talked to the dealer and they said this was normal. I never noticed this on my past cars.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I have the vanity mirrors and the visors are as thick as 2X4's. I don't beleive they are lighted in the SR5, but they may be lit in the Limited. I assume you would get the non-lit variety.

So, Toyota just sent you a letter and said you could have vanity mirrors for free?? Seems strange, I wonder why they would do that.
  • rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    Got notice to schedule service for the air suspension today. In case of being stuck, and trying to get free for an extended period, a pin that holds the air bladder in place could break. Call the dealer to have improved pins installed.
  • piusjudepiusjude Member Posts: 12
    What is the typical fuel efficiency (miles/gallon)on a 2000 4 cylinder?

Thanks.
    Didn't mean to shout rorr I'm new at this..

Anybody know when the Toyota Factory fog lamps will be available to the consumer , for the 2003 4Runner?
    Bought a 4X4 a month ago and thought I'd do it myself. Was told by the dealer they are not available, just yet.
    Hilux, that's a policy I hadn't heard of before. It's their trailer, so not much you can do about it.

I can't imagine anyone designing a trailer to tow a car without including brakes (probably hydraulic "surge" brakes).

The car/trailer combo is just within the manufacturer's tow capacity spec, so I'd not have any great concern about doing it. I towed a 4,000# trailer for C. 25K miles with my '98 4Runner Limited with no problem at all, save for some brake fade coming down a mountainside in Virginia. At 4900#, you won't have any surplus power available and will need to use the gears and keep overdrive locked out, but that's OK.

You might tell 'em you're going to tow an 1800# VW Beetle (G).

-Karl