Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• bobinorbobinor Member Posts: 63
    bwia: How have you prepared your LaCrosse's wheels for the snowy driving? Have you waited for the roads to be plowed before venturing out? Any experiences to share about the vehicle's handling in the harsh elements? You don't have an AWD, right?
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    you asked before I could.
    I hate the way the salt gets on car, but not cars fault.

Do you use the remote start and for how long at what temps? How much does it help with wheel and seat warming?
    I'm sure it makes MPG suffer some. How is that BTW with winter temps, the MPG?
    There are some nice features and will probably use remote start more during summer when it really gets hot.
    (on some these heat and cool features can be programmed to come on during remote start)
    I am also wondering about winter tires on yours. It seems that GM should offer a winter package, or summer if you never see cold.

I need to make appointment to work on that punch list this week. Still concerned about CAF and wild swings of temps interior. Also lighting level differences of guages compared to too dark NAV screen. And dumb seat memory, MPG big drop, rough idle at 1500 RPM, etc.
    I now strongly suspect CAF problem is air leaking around sides of filter because it is badly deformed. Trying to get a head start on issue, I checked if one was available. Also the new oil filter. Neither are available in this city and the next step up supply chain is likely Jacksonville FL or Atlanta.
    The price on the CAF is now $73.

Is there some way to create a signature that shows what we are driving?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited January 2011
    Bob, this is what I wrote earlier about my snow driving experience:

#1333 of 1383 My first snow and ice gave me sweaty palms by bwia Dec 20, 2010 (6:15 pm)

It wasn't pretty but I made it home on a sleek and snowy afternoon commute sweaty palms and all.

Someone had asked about dedicated snow tires and after today I recommend them very highly. The CXS and the Eagle RSA is not designed for snow, sleet or icy roads.

This afternoon I started my commute in very light snow. Then I ran into a traffic jam so I made a detour to my detriment. The road was sleek and icy and when I tried to climb a small hill I started skidding in an "S" side to side direction. There was no traction whatsover. I don't know how I did it but I finally made it to the top of the hill.

But what goes up must come down. And this time I slid to a stop at the bottom of the hill. I heard some funny noises so I assume it had to be the ABS and stabilitrac taking control.

The traction control worked just fine because without it I would be unable to move from a stop at the red light up the hill. Driving on the snow was not too bad as the car seemed unusually quiet. That was not the case however driving on the salted and sanded sections that felt like driving on an unpaved graveled road.

Overall, the CXS with the low 19" profile tires is awful in the snow and I would recommend dedicated snow tires or stay off the road completely.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    We have the 50 series Michelins on 18" rims on our 2010 CXL. Having always used Michelins we plan to replace with those, however has anyone checked out whether you can use a higher profile tire say 60 or 65 series with the Lacrosse setup. First question may be why would you do that. The Michelin X series were getting phenomenal mileage of 80,000+ with the 60 series S & T speed rated tires. Some of the new low profiles offer 60,000 miles.
    Just wondering if any of you have considered going back to higher profile if even possible?
    edited January 2011
    There can be many reasons for the mileage difference. You might want to check the results of comparative tests for each model of tire. You might find a big difference in traction, wet, dry, & snow. Some tires now show lateral traction too.
    Also look at ride quality, noise, etc.

Because of the GY tires I had done some research trying to locate a tire of slightly higher profile. No luck because of variances in tire diameter which would through some changes into the equation that I was not willing to gamble with, especially with tire price.
    BTW, mine are the 19", so you might have a better chance of finding the same diameter, revolutions per mile, in a different profile.

New compounding occurs, but it has been my experience that tires get harder with age and likely miles. When I was young I had a set that lasted 100K. Looking back, probably around 60K they had became hard and had given up a lot of their traction, especially on not dry surfaces. I will never do that again, good tires are just too important.
    The only way I can see those super high mileage tires as having an advantage is if you are a very high mileage driver. I know some that have claimed for years that when a tire gets 4 years old it is at end of use. About the last 15 years of experience has shown me why and most of it is related to hardening of the compounds. An 80K tire for 4 years means 20K+ per year. I have never experienced the Bridgestone's claim that their dual compounding extends that period of performance.
  • kjs8kjs8 Member Posts: 53
    Wanted to post good news on the seat front. My dealer ordered and installed the new replacement memory seat module and I wanted you all to know it solved all of the discussed problems. The seat retracts back when you turn off the car and open the door for easy exit and then when you unlock the door with just the handle there is a slight delay to allow you to enter and the seat returns to your preset position. It's been working on every exit and entry for a week now with no loss of position. Thank you Buick and GM.
    edited January 2011
    Rider: Thanks for the comeback. I agree with your comments on high mileage tires. I had a set with 60+ on a 98 Bonneville and went in for the old adjustment battle due to sidewall cracking. The seller stated the tires were 8 years old and no warranty due to age. The kid changing them has always been helpful and recommended taking them off in light of my highway driving. Exactly the point you made. takes years to put on 80M and the tires are aged out. The Michelin Primacy series offers a tread wear guarantee and in my opinion they are the best mfr- bar none! they make great tires and back them up if you stick to the rules. If I find a better OEM alternative I will post it.
    Thanks for the post
  • awdbl001awdbl001 Member Posts: 1
    Just passed the 1000 mile mark and the message console tells me that the AWD system and the rear axle need service. A few weeks ago the message console displayed the message that the traction control system needed service and then blinked off. Didn't think anything off it since it didn't come back on.... So it looks like I now have a problem with the traction control, AWD, and rear axle..... Not looking good. Looks like I'm the proud owner of a 2011 buick lacrosse Lemon. :( This is the first American car I've bought in 20 years.... Looks like a mistake (shame on me). GM should have been allowed to go bankrupt and have been liquidated.... My tax money at work bought me a POS.
    You've informed me of more than I knew on the AWD version. I'd get it to the dealer immediately.
    Hoping it is something simple like GM neglected to make sure a connector was properly engaged and locked.
    If something has failed, then it does not speak well of GM quality or longevity.
    edited January 2011
    awdbl: Very interesting messages from the drive system. Methinks that all three events are a product of the same sensor that may or may not be a mechanical problem. I had an ABS light ( pre message center) and it turned out to be a sensor built into the rear brake hub. Whole hub needed R&R and problem went away. Explanation was salt and corrosion (maybe), but not on a car with 1000 miles. Betcha it is a lose connection to one of the ABS, Traction control or AWD system which are all related to the same feedback loop IMO since the messages are intermittent but important due to driveability issues. Obviously a warranty issue and hopefully a short no cost service call but still frustrating on new car. Good luck.
  • 50324lacrosse50324lacrosse Member Posts: 21
    Just wondering if anyone that has had a highway speed vibration in their 2010 LaCrosse has an update? Has it been fixed on your car? What was done to fix it?
    I have had the same problem with mine and and the power train is the main suspect. Since it has been a year since I first experienced the problem and it is still not solved, I am becomming more and more dissapointed that GM has not come up with a resolution for me or anyone else.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
  • benc3981benc3981 Member Posts: 9
    Dave I have a 2010 Lacrosse, I don't have the vibration problem, I had a steering problem and GM was giving me the run around,I contacted Lemon Law.com, they were my saving grace, for a fix that GM couldn't fix after emon Law contacted them my car is now fixed, try Lemon Law.com
    Bennie
    Thanks for your reply. What trim level and wheels do you have? I have the base CS with steel wheels and 3.0 engine.
    I just got back from driving a CXL with 3.6 engine and cast wheels. The car had the same vibration and at the same speed range that mine has.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
    What sort of vibration?
    Can you tell where it is coming from?
    Is it steady? Does it change if you apply slight deceleration or acceleration through the speed you notice it?
    Yesterday I noted it is time for rotation. And the tires are so smooth that I'm thinking no re-balance.
    It is a side to side vibration. One would think it was the tires being out of balance. It is not. Test indicate otherwise. Now engineers from GM have it narrowed down to something in the torque converter or something that rotates in a sideways direction of the car.
    It usually happens between 60mph and 80mph. I test drove a 2011 CSX yesterday and found it to have the same vibration. Another friend drove one from a different dealership and different model. It had the same thing.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
    There just is not anything that rotates laterally to the body of the car, except the spider gears in differential and they should not be rotating unless you are driving in circles.
    Did the CSX have touring package? It would have hyperstruts.
    Were tires RFB? If it seems to be at front, did rotating front to back make any difference?
    The calipers might move slightly side to side if rotors are imperfect. Had someone rotated tires prior to it showing up on your car? Have you noted slight braking at those speeds for change?
    I went for a short drive last night, killed sound, and paid attention. So quiet I did not hear engine, just a bit of road noise.
    But felt a nagging side to side bumping motion which also showed up at wheel. At 50MPH it seemed faster than if it were an imbalance issue. If this is what you have found, it is the slight amount of play in suspension bushings that are quite hard material. You will likely find this in most vehicles except maybe full size pickup trucks since they still mostly use the old big body RWD car type suspension. Other full size vehicles might fare well, such as Town Car.
    The Aurora was beautiful in the way it handled this annoyance, but totally different suspension design. Wish they'd use it more.
    During that run, I changed to sport mode and that knocked nearly all of it out. I could not feel any of it at the steering wheel thanks to Magnasteer.
    I suspect all Lacrosse have Magnasteer, which in my opinion could be set a little higher in Touring mode and apparently so for vehicles without Touring Package. Maybe even a little higher in sport mode.
    If this sounds like you, see if dealer can check/adjust Magnasteer. It might reduce the annoyance.
    I suspect the slightest out of round for the tire will aggravate this condition. Especially if uneven across the tread or mild cupping. Wide tires likely make it more noticeable since the objective is to keep the footprint maximized and even. I assume you've been testing on very smooth road. If driving on less than that, you should see similar motion/vibration, but changing some as you cross imperfections.
    So, what you are saying is that if I had the ability to change to "sport mode" and "magnasteer" it will go away?
    What about the field engineer from GM that drove and inspected the car and said he was stumped? Was that just to shut me up? Even the field repsentative said it was something he would agree was a problem and should be looked into. So now that two GM employees, one service manager and the owner all agree, are we all crazy to think it can be fixed?

Thanks for your input, my frustration with the car and problem may be showing in my words at this point. No disrespect intended towards you or anyone else.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse.
    I feel your frustration and that is why I attempt to help locate the issue. I could be totally wrong as to the source. Magnasteer is full time and might be on all models.
    I remember some complaints a while back related to magnasteer, but I don't remember the particulars. I think it was some thought the magnasteer acted like a power steering booster, they had steering issues, maybe. But the Magnasteer is more like a damper in my knowledge and experience. It uses a speed input on a basic system to decide how much resistance to apply. The amount of electricity applied is likely determined in computer. But questionable whether it will show a code if it fails.
    I have not looked at suspension either. If you determine you are at least looking in area of disturbance, then maybe you will get it fixed.
  • cooleyddcooleydd Member Posts: 105
    If you haven't already do a Google on "Magnasteer problems" and you will get over 50 pages of information. Good lluck!
    edited January 2011
    Read full article at http://www.automotive.com/2011/12/buick/lacrosse/reviews/index.html

A very positive and well written article. Here are a couple excerpts:
    • “We found that when driven hard, the LaCrosse CXS with the touring package gripped the road well and felt solid and controlled. The touring package includes the best handling components, such as H-arm rear suspension, 19-inch wheels, and continuously variable real-time damping. With this equipment, a very favorable ride/handling tradeoff has been achieved. Relaxed driving on choppy roads reveals a high degree of cabin isolation from the pavement. It's the kind of ride quality intended to provide superior comfort on long, straight roads that run between endless cornfields, or at higher speeds on the interstate. We could hear tire deflection as we passed over cracked tarmac, but we did not feel anything annoying. The driving was quiet, smooth and relaxed, and yet, the car does not float or wander. The chassis is still connected with the road, conveying a definite sense of control and agility.”…...

• “There has been a focused effort at noise control in the LaCrosse, with mostly excellent results. Buick engineers have clearly studied sources of noise, then systematically damped, cancelled, or isolated those sources using materials like acoustic glass, liquid and fabric sound deadeners, engineered seals and tuned mounting systems. The car runs quietly to begin with, given the gentle nature of the V6 engine and tall overall gearing that permits low-rpm operation. But these sound control efforts have definitely borne fruit, as the LaCrosse has a sound level measured at a quiet 35.5 decibels at 70 mph. We're not sure how that compares with the competition, which is also achieving remarkable noise suppression, but we can tell you that during our drive time, the loudest noise in the cabin came from the air conditioning fan.”
    I have heard about a lot of complaints concerning magnsteer. Some posts I saw seemed to blame it for issues that could not have been related, so chose your finding carefully. I found this to be quite good if accurate.
    http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-38553.html
    Points to note. If the signal used to tell this system is not generating, it will set a code related to internal transmission problem. Signal is used for other things as well. Other than a code that shows the coil is open or shorted, there is no code. You have to manually check fuse for magnasteer and the rest of it is by perception of test drive. I guess it could be not working properly and you would never know unless you know what to look for? I wonder if the newer are adjustable as mentioned in article?
  • fiftyslost1fiftyslost1 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    Does anyone know if there is a wire in the overhead console that is hot only when the key is turned on? I want to install a back up monitor and tap into a wire if possible. No sunroof.
    Thanks.
  • fiftyslost1fiftyslost1 Member Posts: 2
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    50324lacrosse,
    Can you please email me with more information about your situation including your VIN and current mileage? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Perhaps this has been answered before but I have a question about Bluetooth. I am upstairs in my house and my AT&T Nokia 6350 cell phone displays the Bluetooth icon. My car is in an attached garage and my key fob is in the car.

So my questions are: why does the icon appear on my cell phone and can I make a call from my built-in car phone even though my cell phone is in the house? and this leads to the most important question, does that draw down the car battery?
    Is there any reason to join the OnStar advanced plan when I have the built in directions in my Lacrosse?

Does the phone work the same without OnStar - that is work from the buttons on the steering wheel?

Seems like OnStar duplicates these above, except of course, the accident notification and monthly report of the condition of the car, etc.
    Is anyone else having problems with the 2010 Lacrosse CXS not downshifting when needed. When I slow down (usually up a slight grade) the car seems to loose power and not down shift when needed. This has gotten dangerous a couple of times when I needed to pick up speed and it just kind of sputtered.

I have had it into two Buick dealers shops and they both could not duplicate my problem and said nothing was wrong. It worries me especially if someone else would drive it and get into trouble. There is something wrong!!!!
    The icon may only be indicated that you have bluetooth enabled on the phone. You need to check your menus for the connection to car which will likely show under info that it is not connected unless you have turned on at vehicle by starting or using accessory position.
    Why are you leaving FOB in vehicle?
    There is no phone in car except the OnStar and yes you can make calls on OnStar if you have minutes.
    There was some issue that an update was supposed to correct with drawn down batteries. The programming was to minimize power draw and lean it even more after a few days of not starting.
    The phone works the same I believe. I have not even enabled onstar yet, but should just so I can check it out.
    It does seem like a lot of duplication, sort of like wearing a belt with suspenders maybe?
    I sure can not say the Nav system is totally accurate.
    I believed that early onstar was a SAT system so you'd be able to place a call from almost anywhere unless you were in something such as a cave. The manuals of recent vehicles say it uses cell towers which is no advantage over your cell phone. The SAT system would be much more expensive on a per minute basis, but would overcome the difficulties of remote areas. Other than for voice, most communication would be accomplished by a quick burst of data and that should cost no or little more than current. Also nice to know that if I'm out of range of cells I could still get help or be located.
    Does it respond when you push accelerator?
    I too noted that it seems to bog to the point it feels like it might be on the verge of stumbling, misfire, something like that, before it downshifts on long upgrades.
    How is your mileage?
    When I keep pushing the accellator slory it does not respond. What I instinctly do is tramp on it and even then it seems to react slowly.

My mileage for mixed freeway and town driving runs between 18 and 19. Not sure what freeway only does - have not been on a trip for awhile. I am an easy driver - no fast starts, etc.
    how many miles on it? Were you ever getting the clang on start?
    That mileage is not impressive except maybe in a bad way.
    I too notice that it takes a lot of accelerator movement to see any significant response.
    12000 Miles
    No clang
    Seems like I was getting better mileage when it was newer - but not sure. Does not seem much difference if I use premium or regular fuel - Shell or Costco.
    It IS a grat car except for the down shifting problem.
    I really love it!!!!
    That is part of my issue, mileage better before 2500 miles. It seemed to drop suddenly and that was the mileage when I started getting the very loud metal on metal sound at the precise moment of start. Others had exhaust system changed for that and no one seems to know the exact issue although suspicions of something loose inside possibly creating a bad exhaust flow. I'm mentioning it the next time in and will post back if they change it. Also that was around the time I started noticing a slight weakness in mild acceleration.
    I have run nothing but premium and it is Shell. I think I will fill with regular as a comparison.
    BTW, Mobil 1 is supposedly the factory fill on this engine. I saw an ad for a distant dealer a week ago advertising the dexos oil change special and it said part synthetic. I changed mine just before that and used Purolator Pure One cross from PF63 filter since it was not available. Refilled with Mobil 1. Old oil looked really nasty for 22% life left and discovered factory filter was missing anti-drain back valve so there is a good chance I was getting dry starts and don't know how that might have effected issues. I just ordered oil test kit and saved the drained oil. I'll post results when it is done. So it seems there is a possibility that the loud clank I was hearing may have been from the VVT mechanism because oil drained from it while shut down. Until started the mechanism is locked to start position with pins. Since normal control is via oil, no oil present may have allowed it to bang against the chamber limit.
    I keep my tire pressure very constant at the factory 35PSI for the GY 19" tires.
    The vehicle has its good points but came from factory with too many mistakes. Hopefully I get all those worked off. But in my view there are also too many short comings for this to be luxury although you'd have to hunt hard to find vehicles this size with all of them.
    BTW, I've heard rumors of a shift program update for this vehicle.
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    I was getting a clang at the instant my 2010 CXS started. It immediately went away when I switched to Shell 93 octane. Gas mileage improved as well.

My clang was intermittant and not dependent on ambient or engine temp.

Been gone two full months now
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    The blue tooth icon just means yu have the service turned on in the phone menu. BT has about a 30 foot max range.

Why not just try it but you'll need two people. If it works the voice will just be heard in the car. My guess is that signal strength is not sufficient and car would need to be in "On" .
    I keep my GY 19" tires pretty much at 35 lbs - have a good air pump in the garage. It increases on the road to 37 to 38.

I just checked my oil and it is low and very dirty. I changed at 3000 miles and then again at about 7500 miles and I plan on doing it again in the next few days at 12,000 miles. I have not checked the oil between changes until now - but the dealer never said anything about the oil being dirty or low. Certainly I have changed the oil much more often than I have been advised by OnStar.

My mileage runs between 18.5 and 20.5 now (I gave the wrong information before). I do keep track of my miles every time I get gasoline on a calendar but my wife stored the 2010 calendar and she is not here. Will check later and repost a better history from the beginning.

If you find out anything about the shift program update let us know. I will ask next time I am at the dealers for the oil change.

At 80 years old I no longer have the ability to do the things I should do, or used to do, on the car (and other things) so I take it in to the dealer (and pay for it). For example I do not think I ever had the hood open on my own since I purchased it until today. Bad - but the best I can do.

I have two kids 16 and 19. The 19 year old drives his own car. The 16 year old has her license (and car) but I still restrict her driving to daytime only and not even to school. She is into competitive "Cheer" and practices three days a week plus some out of town competition. Most of my mileage has been driving her around. When I feel comfortable with her driving I will not drive much. She also works three or four days a week and she is allowed to drive to work as of about a month ago - I used to take her there too. Wife works so many times it is up to me to get her around. The mileage is almost all due to taking her to and from her activities

And that is how it goes at this house!!!
    edited February 2011
    cooley: Let us know if you find out about reprogramming the shift patterns on the Lacrosse. We had that done on an older GM and it improved the driveability overall and that car got 30+ on the highway at 70-75 so it worked and did not "search" for gears due to upshift preference for mileage.Oil change at 3-5000 max for GM-forget the oil life %!
    Pretty cool you is -80 and two kids 16 & 19. How old is the wife?
    Michiko (Japanese) is now 52 and I have a couple of older kids by my first wife who died from breast cancer at age 44. The are now 50 and 52. Plus I have taken care of a few other kids in my lifetime. Michiko and I have been married since 1988 and I have know her since 1986. She was born and raised in Japan - it is a beautiful love story.

I usually post everything I learn about the Lacrosse.;
  • gberpagberpa Member Posts: 44
    Have an appointment Wed for a seat memory module replacement. I will ask about elsewhere reported Nav system update and the shifting program. I seem to feel this shifting issue is not to bad for me. Although when accelerating slightly uphill, I sometimes see the "shift" go opposite to what I expect, eg rpm drops. But, this could be programming to get best mpg (??).

BTW, ever since I reported the exhaust system replacement for my "clang" on startup, I have not experienced any more instances. Now at (only) 3170 miles
    due to 3+ weeks out of town without car. 2nd BTW: car started out instantly upon return (garaged at 20-40F without theft deterrent activated).
  • gberpagberpa Member Posts: 44
    I had the 2011 CXS in for service today (seat memory module and Nav data update). I asked about downshifting issues and a possible fix noted on this forum. On my car, I only notice a slight rpm drop on upgrades without mashing the pedal when I actually expect it to increase!. For me, its no big issue. What I was told that there is a "dead spot" on GM's 6 speed automatics and there is a reprogramming fix for some vehicles but mileage suffers. I told them if there was a "fix" for the LaCrosse that didn't affect mileage, to do it. Upon checking all the TSBs, they said there was no fix yet for the 2011 LaCrosse.

Regarding the seat memory module replaced today and reprogrammed, after resetting my seat/outside mirror positions and setting up on "config" as I had previously had it [easy exit, memory seat, passive entry-all doors], the system seems to be working without the problems previously noted in my earlier posts. Also, the return to driver seat position on entering has a bit longer delay time than before which is more convenient. Of course, I need to give it a bit more time before concluding the fix is permanent.

The Nav system was updated today. It must have been updated previously before December as the invoice then said "no change" but my 11/2/10 notes prior to that visit showed Version U40D, V 20.09.03, unlike my reported post which said U306, V20.09.03. Today, after service, it is U413, V20.09.03. It looks like the map is unchanged as a 2 year old street in my neighborhood still doesn't show. I haven't noticed any major changes yet. I think the default scale looks a bit "cleaner" and has a different font. As time and experience increase, I will report if other changees are seen.
    I just took a trip of about 200 miles and averaged about 28.2 MPG. No airconditioner and very little in town driving. Used Costco Premium.

However, there is no question there is a problem with the shifting. Numerous time it seemed to lag when I tried to pick up speed. It can be dangerous unless you compesate for the problem. I will take it to the dealer this week and see if they can reprogram with the new program that has been reported but not verified.

It reminds me of Toyoto problems and could be just as dangerous.
    edited February 2011
    During the last 4 weeks the winter weather has been brutal in New England and as result gas mileage has suffered. Despite using Shell V-Power 93 octane during that time my mpg has dropped from a high of 20.1 to a disappointing 17.6 mpg (all city surburban driving). These were manual calculations so the measurements are pretty accurate.

Meanwhile, my CSX has been flawless as I approach 5K miles in seven months of ownership. On Saturday I will be taking it in for my second oil change and first tire rotation.

Surprisingly even with all that snow the interior floor mats and carpeting have remained relatively clean. This is due to the fact that I drive from my home garage to an indoor parking garage at work. To keep the exterior clean I have been using the automated “brushless” car washing places. They wash both underneath and the exterior without touching the car. I must say they do a good job as the car comes out as clean as from a conventional car wash. My concern, however, is that the high water pressure might affect the paint finish or enter the car through small crevices. But the seals are tight and so far no water intrusion.
    edited February 2011
    cooley: we just got back from 1500 mile road trip with 2010 CXL 3.0L and FWD only. Best mileage 29.1 at 75 highway only no air 2 adults. Worst 25.5 at 80+ when possible and safe. Speed is the biggest factor IMO. The shifting on the Lacrosse is programmed for mileage NOT performance. Big grades will result in one or two downshifts with the 6-speed trans trying hard to upshift for mileage maximum. If you keep your foot on the accelerator the trans on ours keeps it in the lower gear- if your let up it upshifts per the program preference for economy. Also we use the manual tap up tap down on BIG hills to avoid upshift and searching. If you got 28 MPG on a 4400# car the trans is operating great. The searching and downshifting is an algorithim built into the program. Corvettes have just the opposite as do most performance cars. Cadillacs with same engine you have drive differently due to program set for performance NOT mileage.
    I suggest practice driving with the manual shift on hils and you will love it.
    28.2 MPG is outstanding with any car!
    Bwia: We get less than 20 in town driving with 3.0L 2010 CXL. Sticker shows 17 city 26 highway for ours so the actual is a little better in town and MUCH better on the highway, Same as youe actual experience methinks.
    Also the paint is not affected by water pressure. Washing the salt off is the best thing you can do for the carbon steel components, mostly under the car and in the engine area. Automatics wash the under side also so they address that concern. We use after market rubber mats over carpets to save the good looks from the flotsam and getsum of winter.
    Our recent 1500 mile trip from south to north was flawless with mileage from 25.6 to 29.1 depending on speed mostly. The 3.0L & 3.6L engines "like" 87 and higher octane gas- we use midgrade that halps the mileage on the highway and affects it little in town. Enjoy the great car!
    edited February 2011
    crankeee: I can be on level ground and want to speed up to pass and there is hesitation and no speeding up. Does not down shift to give me the extra needed. I keep pushing on the petal and no response. Finally I can get it to downshift and speed up but it is simply not right. I guess I need a program based on performance - I will sacrifice the MPG for what I feel is a safer operation. I do use the manual shift for hills.
    I would like input from other Lacrosse CX and CXL owners with the 3.0L V6 engine.
    If you have your LaCrosse in park and get the RPM's to 1500 - 2000, does your car start to shake?
    I discovered this one very cold day last week while I had the RPM's around 1500 for a few seconds. All of a sudden the car started shaking. It's hard to keep it in that range but I would be very interested to know if others are experiencing the same thing?
    Please let me know what you discover.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
    So the 3.0 does it too. My 3.6L does it at around 1500 and if cold it sometimes idles up to that RPM and shakes.
    I really would like to know why.
    Is yours the AWD? If so, have you had it back to the dealer for the vibration fix for AWD's?

I'm glad to hear from others that have the same problem. For a while I thought I was the only one.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse