Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• Options
    e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    I have CXS. What does AWD have to do with the shake?
  • Options
    crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    We have 2010 CXL 3.0L with FWD only and ~8000 miles on vehicle. I have not noticed any shaking and we were up north in 15 degree weather. I have habit of letting all cars "settle down" a little when started. The cold start mechanism does set idle at 1500 or so until it warms up some. E Net Rider posted that the oil circulation takes a few seconds to stabilize in the upper engine for various reasons that may have some effect- I don't really know. Ours has been great so far, with outstanding performance and as high as 29 mpg on highway only. Early miles on new car is always anxious due to breakin and concerns about parts being assembled correctly- likelihood of getting a good car with good engine is improved with models getting good reviews. So far so good. Maybe your problem has to do with cold start valve or some other control. The OMBII diagnostics should report any malfunction to the tech for correction - good luck and enjoy the new car once you work out the new car gremlins!
  • Options
    gary142gary142 Member Posts: 1
    Question... I help my wife into the passenger seat, she has her fob in her purse. I get in and drive; next day she gets in to drive and the car sets memory functions to my settings. Does she need an aluminum foil purse? How does the car know which fob is the driver's fob?
  • Options
    50324lacrosse50324lacrosse Member Posts: 21
    For the shake in the AWD, there is an appearent fix by the dealer. Someting in the transmission is able to be re-programmed.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
  • Options
    As to oil circulation, my concerns about it getting to top of engine or anywhere else were related to the bad PF48 filter that came from factory. It had no anti-drainback valve. What would be expected with such is that all the oil in the galleys would siphon back down into the pan. Dry start.
    Suspect is the loud metal to metal clang on start. It was too loud and of intensity that it would seem to defy explanation by something loose in exhaust system. And changing from 87 to 93 octane would also seem to defy stopping the sound unless something was errant with valve timing. The new VVT allows the exhaust valves timing to be extended(retarded) to the point some exhaust gases get drawn back into the cylinder rather than having to be drawn in through the intake and controlled by an EGR valve. (some systems can also vary the duration)
    At this point I don't know the exact method of controlling the cam change. That is I don't know how the controlled pressure of oil goes into the chamber that varies the cam position. It is in effect a double sided chamber with a vane in the middle attached to cam. Oil could be pumped to one side to advance and released depending upon the resistance to work against the valve springs to force it out and retard the shaft. Or it could have oil being pushed to both sides of vane and proportioned according to the desired amount of advance or retard. The GM system supposedly pins the cam shaft to a start position upon shutdown. At what moment or how it is released so the oil system takes over I don't know.
    I strongly suspect that the bang was the vanes slamming against one of the extremities of the chamber because of lack of oil or air being flushed upon start.
    And the rough idle occurs cold or hot at around 1500 RPM.
  • Options
    Rider: We have not had the rough idle problem with our 2010 3.9l CXL that now has ~8000 miles. I do notice that the cold start valve or system does set the idle at 1500 until the engine is warm enough for the heat to operate in the cabin. seems longer in duration but the car heats up fairly fast and the idle returns to below 1000 w/o A/C idle increase operating. your comments on the oiling with the cam activated VVT setup is above my knowledge level. I knew the cam sensors could act up but the mechanical design is above me. We had another car with 3.0L DOHC/DI/VVT and the cold start valve would act up in conjunction with the throttle body intake valveing and create a rough idle. also had the injector problem posted before that caused bigtime slow rpm idle roughness. That car had an oil pressure gauge so you could tell how long it was starved for oil at least at the sensor- Our Lacrosse does not have such a device so no clue here- anyway no clanging or banging here. If it is engine design problem it would seem to be in all cars with 3.0/3.6L DI/DOHC/VVT engines, and it is not.
    Ours has been flawless so far. The dipstick anomaly is hard to figure out, but I know to read it above the full level to make sure it has 6 quarts.
    Good luck with the rough idle diagnosis- maybe it will result in a TSB.
  • Options
    3.9L, typo?
    There are many things that only happen to a few. I was cruising for info on 3.6L. In the Acadia forum, there is an entire thread just for complaints of timing chains on 3.6L. Rather scary thought with it showing up with low mileage sometimes. I haven't verified but there were comments that it was occurring in Cadillacs as well.
    That engine is used in a lot of vehicles which makes me wonder why it only seems to be big problem in Acadia.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My bad. S/B 3.0L CXL.
    I would think that timing chains would be a proven technology by now.
    Alignment used to be a big issue on new engine designs, but I would have thought they had that bit of engineering down. I always preferred the chain approach to the belt (Japanese) with required replacing.
    Maybe the key to Arcadia problems is more likelihood of towing with that platform, but usually not an early mileage development if due to wear.
    I also am watching the long term reliability of the 3.0/3.6L engine family
    on various forums and auto reviews. Do you know if the same chain is used on 3.0 and 3.6 since it is basically the same engine family? The engines have been used in Caddys for quite a while in various configurations and not a lot of chatter about problems in my view.
    I don't look for problems, but it does help to solve them if you are informed and aware of the fix. GM has always been great with fixing our cars in the past and in the world of the internet there are few secrets kept for long!
  • Options
    Rider: We checked the Cadillac forums regarding the timing chain problems and noted a few things. Most of the cars were 3 or more years old and almost all mentioned low oil levels that resulted in timing chain failures. The posters also seemed to rely on the oil life monitor and/or Onstar to tell them that the oil level was low after driving more than 5000 miles before oil change. My past experience with DOHC/DI/VVT engines is that FREQUENT oil changes at 3000-4000 miles MAX was the cheapest preventive maintenance I could do to keep all those moving parts (including the timing chain) happy. Checking the dipstick and changing oil is not rocket science.
  • Options
    In that Acadia forum there is still a lot of guessing as to the base cause. One thing I noted is timing chain used is much different than older technology where you had multiple links between each tooth. The new ones look like a common roller chain or bicycle chain. It is likely a weight saving thing.
    Also mention of some foreign name vehicle, maybe Suzuki, that uses same engine and it had a lot of chain problems. Some saying that they greatly decreased the recommended change interval and recalibrated the OLM to less mileage as well. So, maybe someone thinks it is an oil problem but I'm not so sure. I knew of someone who had a Ford 400M and bragged he never changed oil, only added when light came on. The chain went just past 100K which is amazing with that type of abuse. But of course that was a real timing chain.
    Some in the Acadia have issue and claim they always changed early and never let it get low. I'm pretty well convinced it is more than an oil change problem. There may be weaknesses in the oil flow, maybe just plain weak design of chain. Because some have had the camshaft shimmed for end play when chain was replaced it might be oil flow. At least one had to go back and had heads replaced in short time because the problem returned quickly.
    Word in that group seems to be that stretching is what is happening to the chains. And worrisome to me is that none have reported that the gears were changed at the same time. And that may be part of the issue. That is they may no longer manufacturer chain and gears as a set. And thus you get a bad wear pattern from onset and end up with early failure. Maybe most are just lucky that the initial wear pattern set during breakin is a good one. Maybe that is why we have a 3K breakin period.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited February 2011
    Is switching service dealership a good idea? A new Buick dealership that is very close to my home opened recently so I took the opportunity to try them out for a LOF and tire rotation. First off, they did not reset the oil life gauge and second it does not appear that the tires were rotated. If they were, I don’t think they were done properly because a front wheel with a small scratch is still in the same location.

Although this is supposed to be a new Buick-GMC dealership the service and sales areas were pretty disappointing (a former SAAB facility). Only two vehicles could fit on the sales floor and the waiting area was tiny with a few used chairs, an old TV and no coffee but a huge vending machine. Compared to the Toyota and Honda dealerships just across the street this was the worst dealership I have seen in years. What is so ironic is that GM closed a Buick dealership less than a mile away and gave a franchise to this mega multiple-brand dealership that looks and feels more like an order taker than a premium brand dealership.

One thing for sure, when I receive the satisfaction survey I am going to rate them as low as possible and gladly return to my sales dealership for future service, albeit 35 miles away.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Agree with your comments that oil change interval/level is not the only issue for timing chain failures on Acadias. I can't name the last timing chain TSB or general problem with GM engines due to the old robust design that survived for years. The new aluminum block/heads/intakes offer lighter configurations so the idea of a less robust timing chain in those engines does follow logic. Hopefully GM did not "cheap out", since this approach with alternators, bearings, intakes & gaskets & other components did not auger well for GM sales in the past. I would argue that the beancounters approach to car design and manufacturing allowed for the rise of Acura, Lexus, Infinity, Audi, BMW and other overpriced "quality brands" benefited from this GM, Ford and Chrysler management decision and contributed to their demise.
    We will pay for quality but will not accept poor quality as a trade off for cost savings in design and production. Car companies future depends on the perceived initial and long term quality of their products-NOT cost savings!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Update:

The service manager apologized for not resetting the oil life gauge after the oil change. And in fact they did not rotate the tires as requested because he says it appeared that I did not need one at 4,800 miles. Again, he apologized for failing to mention that to me and instead of a refund my next service is free.

But somehow I don't feel comfortable returning to these guys for service, yet at the same time I feel the infraction is not egregious enough to report them to GM. But if I don't, they will continue to be sloppy and perhaps even put owners and innocent people at risk.

Boardies, what should I do?
  • Options
    Check owners manual for rotation schedule and tire maker. I'm pretty sure this would have been the time to do it and by 10K you'd be past due.
    Appearance is not the reason for rotating. It is so they don't appear to need attention, but that they continue even wear. Wear problems developing could indicate problems with tires, suspension, alignment, etc. Once those wear patterns surface, they will never go away.
    The good news is that if they properly checked for such indications, then you have no problem needing attention.
    The amount of tire wear should also be looked at. Even though they may be wearing evenly the amount of wear might need to be addressed separately.
    Actually you may need to make a decision. Leave where they are and see if what is not visible to the naked eye develops to be seen at maximum rotation. Then you might be in for a new set of tires, covered to 13K I think. Check manual.
    At that point they may be able to tweek something or they may make it worse.
    Report, hopefully those at GM will take a tactful approach toward quality. In the past they'd flat tell you there is a disconnect between GM and dealership.
  • Options
    BTW, what filter did they put on, was it the new PF63?
  • Options
    Bwia: Pretty poor service IMO. You go in for oil change and tire rotation and get half of oil change and no rotation. Rider is right on with his comments on tire wear patterns. The whole idea of rotation is BEFORE you can see a wear pattern. Sounds like amateur hour to me. My excellent dealer knows more than I do, since he does the same type car every day and anticipates problems. He also makes it a point to perform the service I request while I am there. I had to switch dealers years back due to price gouging NOT service quality- but I did move and never looked back- too important!
    good luck.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    That sounds almost identical to the situation I had a year or so ago on my '09 Buick with my dealer - paid for a number of service items that were either not done at all or done in a questionable manner. That began a spiral down with them that resulted in them going out of business late last summer. A sample of one is not instructive, but I would run to another dealer. My experience is that bad service is often a symptom of other, bigger problems.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    50324lacrosse50324lacrosse Member Posts: 21
    Interesting thought on the timing chain being the cause, but wouldn't the problem be noticable at all RPM's and not just in the 1500-2000 RPM range?
    When the car is in park, and the RPM is 1500 - 2000 the shaking is the most noticable. What else could be causing this? Fly Wheel? Torque converter?
    I am certain that I am not the only one out there with a LaCrosse that does this and wish others would try the idle thing to see if they have the problem as well.

DAVE
    2010 LaCrosse
  • Options
    rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    .... at risk?

Hope you're kidding.

I've learned to check work before leaving ANY dealership.
  • Options
    Just heard on Motor Week that although TPMS is a nice safety feature in today's automobile it often suffers from corrosion. The remedy it turns out is to use nitrogen in your tires. Nitrogen keeps the tires dry and therefore keeps the TPMS system corrosion free.
  • Options
    Nitrogen because it is relatively easy to get, cheap, and relatively inert compared to oxygen. It would be just as easy to get pure dry oxygen I'd think but pure oxygen could be dangerous. But nitrogen is a smaller molecule than oxygen and would be prone to leak out more than oxygen.

Do we need to go back to solid rubber? Wood spokes optional. ;)
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    e_net_rider,
    Have you had the vehicle into a dealer? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    cooleyddcooleydd Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2011
    I took my Lacrosse to the dealer and tried to explain what is happening with what seems to be a delay in downshifting. They tested and said nothing was wrong. This is a DANGEROUS problem which now two dealers have said nothing wrong. They said the reprogramming for a performance program as indicated in this forum was not available. I would gladly take a hit on MPG to solve this downshifting problem.

Even on a level road I can press on the acellator slowly and it takes a long time to even pick up speed let alone downshift as I think it should.

Also asked for an update on Navagation and they said not possible although a newer version has been reported on this forum.
  • Options
    Dave (50324lacrosse),
    Can you also send me the same information, any dealer involvement, VIN and current mileage?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    kjs8kjs8 Member Posts: 53
    Well it's been about one month since the Power Seat Memory Module was replaced. Initially for the first 2 weeks all problems were resolved. Slowly over the next few weeks they all returned. Seat forgets it's programed position, seat will not return when door is unlocked and sometimes it will not retract on exit. I give up and will turn off the feature for good. At first my problems were solved, now were back to a non memory seat in a GM car that is the same option in every other GM model with no performance problems. Can this be Buick?
  • Options
    bwia

That is interesting. There has been a lot of claims of the benefits of Nitrogen in tires. These claims have rarely stood up under controlled testing.

Remember that air contains 78% nitrogen and the nitrogen put into tires is only 95% nitrogen. Questionable, at least to me, what bit advantage there by adding just 17% more nitrogen. Much better would be keeping your tires at the recommended pressure as far as increase in mileage. Doubtful that any advantage to increasing length of tire use as most of the tire damage is external from sun, bumps, curbs, etc. But now the tire people say that they should be changed every 5 or 6 years. Most of us would wear a tire out in this period of time anyway.

I see the addition of nitrogen as either a money maker (as high as $10 per tire) or as a promotion as Costco does.

I do find your comments interesting and there might be something to them., However I want to see it proven before I would pay to mmake a change. However if nitrogen is free when I buy the tire I would accept it.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Thought I’d share this short video on how to use the memory seat feature on the Buick LaCrosse. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiBbVcHkeDo&feature=relmfu

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Nice little video, but they totally forgot to cover keyless entry and locking as titled in manual. I can not help but wonder if some of the issues might be the interfacing of it to the memory system.
    If you use the remote to unlock I find the seat starts to move even quicker than pulling the handle. GM needs to reprogram the forward movement of seat to coincide with start. Seriously! I slope the wheel up with the stupid rake system upon exiting and don't lock. The other day, trying to get in with the seat moving forward, it got a bit ahead of me, I nailed my knee cap badly on that stupid latch lever.
    And when I exited vehicle without closing front door, I opened rear and seat moved ahead. Say what?
    GM has some bad programmers.
  • Options
    Are you sure the other vehicles have the same exact system/features? I have begun to wonder if the keyless(passive) entry/exit lock interface should be questioned. It sort of reminds me of early days of Windows 95 where different computer manufacturers would use the same MOBO but then try to enhance in their own ways, such as Sony being strong on video, VAIO. Many used that same board but different issues surfaced because of added hardware and/or programming. It might be something as simple as Buyick not taking advantage of speed sentitive wipers event though hardware may be present. Malibu has it.
    There is no way I can justify the stupid event of seat moving ahead before you have a chance to get in. It should have been tied to start.
    And don't get me started on the lack of enough voice commands to get full control of NAV Entertainment system.
    The rear camera system is another that lacks a lot. There are capabilities that overcome the brake lights making the system blind as well as dealing with the cloud of condensation from exhaust during cool weather. Am I supposed to just put in Reverse, back up without hitting brake pedal, blindly into that cloud of condensation? Did they test this stuff? If they fix this, then they should also overcome overexposure of camera when sun angles are low. But then they did not have sense enough to put a shroud on NAV screen to help with sun angles.
  • Options
    kjs8kjs8 Member Posts: 53
    edited March 2011
    WOW... You and I must be driving the same car as we both have all the same problems. I actually had a factory rep tell me that the rearview camera was not designed to work in sunlight or in rain as mine is intermittent with horizontal black lines on the screen with the image during any rain event. The stereo speakers rattle at every deep base note and I was told to reduce the bass control on the screen below half setting to solve the problem. My bluetooth never worked with my Samsung phone that is on the GM list, constant 1 ring incoming calls every 5 minutes when it's activated. These problems are just unacceptable in any car especially one in this price range. Buick has dropped the ball on this car and I'm a GM Guy for over 30 years. May not be next time...
  • Options
    Absolutely correct on lousy bass and speakers. Also the tweeters or tweeter system. I cranked the treble to max and is still puny compared to other sound systems.
    What idiot cuts bass from a good system? A properly setup system should be perfect at reproducing everything that was recorded unless the recording was poorly done. Yes there are those that crank bass to the max just so they can hear drums or crap but the purpose of HI-FI is to faithfully reproduce. Any adjustments from the standard would be done for personal preference or to accomadate acoustic environment. And the later can not be so in this case because they claim it was designed for the car. H-K should be ashamed to put their name on this garbage. But I lack familiarity with H-K so maybe this is their quality. It sure does not measure up to a Bose I had.
    I do wonder if it is the H-K unit or did they just hang terrible speakers to an otherwise good amp>
  • Options
    bobbob2bobbob2 Member Posts: 28
    Are these recent mess for 2011 LaCrosse which I am thinking about buying?
  • Options
    kjs8

Are u a 2011 LaCr CXL or other?
  • Options
    This forum has not held back. Mine is an 11 CXS with every factory option except sunroof and inflator kit. That is the way the selection lined up although I got none of the dealer installed options, as listed.
    Although I have my complaints because I am picky, I must say I'm likely pleased overall, so far. I do have items that need attending so there is an outcome to be had. I do feel there are some quality issues in certain areas and often with items I've had at prior times and therefore I think GM may have slipped or they forgot lessons learned toward making a top notch of any line, auto style.
    If you check through the forums for 2010-11 what complaints have surfaced are limited to specific areas and most have had resolution to exising equipment issues. The forum may drift through question and answer to betterment of visitors such as yourself. I've been in some forums that were tilted toward better vision of vehicle as if it was impossible to have certain issues and even complaints occasionally about jabs because of issues, personal or real.
    What are you looking for in a vehicle, Lacrosse cxl? With the changing of options, even mid-season, or frequent, depending upon how loaded you are looking at, you might actually find more in the CSX for the same money. There are a few items that are limited to the CSX and those couple of items as I recall were such I decided I'd llke to have.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    After seven months and 5,000 miles my 2011 CXS is performing flawlessly. Upon opening the door the leather smells new car fresh and everything is showroom new and spotlessly clean. I treat my car like a baby, no eating or drinking nor carrying any cargo except an occasional piece of luggage; so as you can imagine my trunk is as clean as a whistle.

As reported before I do mostly city/suburban driving so my overall gas mileage is only 16.5 mpg. Originally I used regular gas then moved to mid-grade 89 octane but I was not very satisfied with that so I moved up to Shell V-Power 93 octane. Expensive yes, but I get a discount as much as $1.20 a gallon when I use my Stop & Shop card. By the way, the discount ranges from 10 cents to $1.20 depending on your Stop & Shop purchases.

Last fall I toyed with driving in the Sport and Manual modes but somehow that was not as satisfying as driving in Auto mode so I went back to driving exclusively in the auto mode even during the snow.

Speaking of snow, although we had plenty of it in New England, that did not hinder my driving, since the roads were cleaned, salted and sanded on a regular basis. Salt is not kind to cars so I am hoping the LaCrosse stands up to the salt’s corrosive effect. Still, the Good Year 19-inch tires performed poorly on the first snow and ice storm before the roads were plowed. Moreover, if you live in the snow belt, I recommend dedicated snow tires.

In terms of maintenance I had two oil changes, one at 2,500 miles and the other at 4,800 miles. I also had one tire rotation at 5,000 miles. All switches and gauges are working effectively except for the passenger side wiper that leaves a little water after the final stroke. Nothing annoying except not as smooth as the driver’s side.

On the road, the CXS is as smooth and hushed as ever. The quibble I had about tire and road noise is gone. Not sure if the tires have become more quiet, with break-in, or I simply just got used to them. Visibility is still a major concern with the very wide A and C pillars which makes driving up a spiral ramp or parking in a parking garage more eventful than it ought to be. Nonetheless, the handling, driving and ride is very satisfying although for some reason I still like the ride on our Malibu better.

All in all, the Lacrosse CXS is a great car, it handles well, feels luxurious and substantial. With no reportable conditions it almost feels boring driving this automobile. Just fill the tank, press the start button and drive. Finally, the CXS has surpassed all of my expectations except for mpg which appears to be getting worse.
  • Options
    Let me know if something shows why the worsening MPG. I recently ran one tank of regular and as expected, a bit less punch. I refilled with Shell V-power and it has been a few miles, but it does not seem to have recalculated for the better fuel yet.
    I like the sport mode which gets rid of nearly all side sway induced by bumps. I know they could have produced a flat smooth riding platform without this electronic option which then could be used to further enhance the ride.
    The 09 Malibu LT2 was not a bad ride, but horrible handling starting with tires that the I4 could spin when turning on dry pavement. It would frequently drift across lines without reason and the person who now owns it confirms this problem. Dealer gave up on fixing making it a lemon.
  • Options
    Thx e net rider.

My CXS feeling is that with 4WD gas consumption wud b even worse and here in DE FWD usually does the trick in snow. The salesman indicated that by loading up on pkgs in CXL I basically was even with a CXS?

I'd appreciate any opinion from u or board on a NavStation v. OnStar. Seems to me I don t need both and I'm leaning to OS thinking it will always be more up to date and in the short run less expensive. I used OS in a rental GM suburban once in Tampa. What really impressed me was OS' quick adjustments to me making wrong turns in a strange town.
  • Options
    What are the advantages/disadvantages? Seems redundant to have both?
  • Options
    There are a few things you can not get except on CXS. The hyper-strut, new for GM, and touted as greatly enhancing steering/handling is standard on CXS. Options exclusive to CXS are Touring Package & multi-color instrumentation. The touring package includes 19" wheels w/GY tires (which seems to be an objection), rear H-arm suspension (I wanted), chassis continuously variable real-time damping & sport mode selectivity (I like).
    Options you'd have to add to CXL to get as close as possible but are standard on CXS are: 3.6L unless you want the 2.4L, power rack & pinion, magnetic variable effort, perforated leather, ventilated front seats, leather & wood heated steering wheel (love the heated wheel), AC power outlet, Ultra-sonic rear parking assist (fantastic with the display, it shows you where the hazard is on screen), power rear window sunscreen (nice), push-button start, passive entry system, 11 speaker H-K audio (not very good in my opinion), USB port, mirror with memory & driver side auto-dimming.
    Other items would be options for either model, but you may pay more for some such as option with NAV, 40GB HDD, MP3 play, voice&touch activated NAV, & rearview camera. When adding this package the 11 speaker H-K is required, but that is listed as standard on CXS.
    Items that are optional on either that I think are great:
    Driver Confidence package which includes side blind zone alert (love), articulating xenon HID headlamps (great), & HUD (heads up display) a great addition.
    Although the rearview camera has issues, it is great when working. I like the NAV system and added capabilities with 40GB HDD. Just sad the radio does not have top notch full spectrum (will have dealer check mine). A little added bonus is the distance to turns, when getting close, will display on the HUD in addition to audible cues.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The redundancy is there. I've never used the OS, yet. Since updates to the NAV are available, it would seem there are only periods where the OS may be more current than NAV. The NAV will download from your bluetooth your contacts and store them giving you a visual directory listing. Also via XM you can get road updates such as traffic jams, accidents, detours, bad weather, or local (your current location) airport weather. The NAV system is very good about getting you back on route if you stop or choose waypoints. It also works great with my bluetooth phone. (choose phone carefully, some seem to have a problem)
    Paying for complete OS seems rather pricey and minutes are expensive I think.
    BTW, check current situation as to options. Late 2010 in to early 2011 models there were some significant changes as to what was standard or even available. Gone is the 3.0L. H-arm is no longer standard on CXL & CXS. Blind zone alert is new. An option available on either, and not expensive, hope I never need, but for safety of grandkids I got the rearseat thorax airbags.
  • Options
    That is pertaining to the spoiler option. It is listed as a dealer installed option. It is apparently painted and prepped at the factory then shipped in the trunk. I can't think of any good reason to not have on during shipping. It might look good, but what about function? GM is quiet about it if it is functional. And if it aided MPG I'm sure they'd say something or make it standard. So maybe it even induces drag. I read a piece about the proposed highbred version of Lacrosse. They did some work to underside to reduce drag but no spoiler from what I could tell.
  • Options
    To me "spoiler"is descriptive of what it does to styling ie spoils it. I thot a Spoiler's purpose was to keep rear down at high speeds especially RWD, think porsches.
    My bet is that spoilers are screwed onto trunk which means ~ 3screws breach the metal inviting leaks and rust. Rust u say? I had Bonneville years back that starting rusting under/around trim. What I learned was that holes were drilled in body for trim clips and the holes were never sealed with paint so the the bare metal rusted as fed by water run off coming under trim. Lesson learned.
  • Options
    Anyone have comments? Paint is listed as triple coating. Does that tricoat give extra protection for car wash abrasion?
    Paint is an extra couple hundred. Why is that?
    There are sprinkles of a light reflecting additive. Does that provide any advantage other than beauty eg sun reflection?
  • Options
    ab348,
    Have your concerns been resolved?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reply to your CXL vs. CXS choices. We were lucky to get 2010 CXL with 3.0L and H-arm rear suspension at the introductory price and w/o the very significant upcharge for the CXS. We are very happy with the option package standard on the CXL. 18" wheels with Michelin tires is the biggest benefit. Avoiding the 19" goodyears and the touring suspension (and the cost) was a benefit to the CXL. New 2011 requires big add on cost to get 3.6L V-6 in lieu of standard I-4. Good choice now is 2011 CXL with 3.6L and standard package IMO. Great car with needed options (leather, electric seats for max adjustments, 18" wheels & Michelins, auto HVAC with dual controls and other goodies). Extra for paint was added for marketing reasons not cost to paint. Black is most demanded China color sooooo....
    Good luck. Great car choice however you load it up.
  • Options
    2010 Lacrosse CXS loaded, 13,000 miles

Further information on the down shifting problem - at least that I am experiencing.

This morning I was driving up a rather steep hill and as I was going up I reached a point where the transmission upshifted to the next range (I think the top) and then it simply seemed to slowed and would not down shift to continue the acceleration. Had to give it a kick in the pants to get it to down shift.

This is different and yet the same that I have experienced before. The same as it seems that it is not downshifting the way I believe it should and different in the fact this was on a steep hill rather than straight and level and on a slight hill.

Still a problem any way you look at it and dangerous if you are not aware of the problem and compensate.

I love this car and enjoy driving it. It is a pure joy (except for the above). Not particular happy with the dealers concerning the above but otherwise relative happy with them. Everything in the car works as it should (once I learned how).
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    Christina, I had to get GM Customer Service to intervene, but yes. It took a while because I think the dealer knew they were going to close soon, but finally everything was resolved.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Anyone have comments? Paint is listed as triple coating. Does that tricoat give extra protection for car wash abrasion?

The LaCrosse is one rare bird indeed. For only the second time I've seen a LaCrosse on the road. The one I saw yesterday was white. Not sure if it was the Summit White or the White Diamond Tricoat.

On the dealership showroom floor the White Diamond Tricoat looked fabulous. But on the car I saw yesterday it looked dull and anonymous. For some reason white does not look visually pleasing in a moving LaCrosse. I've had two white cars in the past and they looked very good but I can't say the same for the Lacrosse. It just makes the car look bloated and boring.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    bwia: Rare bird indeed. Four 1500 mile trips since 7-10 and we have seen a total of FOUR (4) 2010/2011 Lacrosse models and two new regals. since GM sells 4X the number of Buicks in China as in USA they must all be there!
    The extra cost for certain color choices seems to be a marketing gimmick from our viewpoint. The paint on our "standard" color Quicksliver 2010 CXL looks great to us with the 18" alloy wheels. The black option looks outstanding with the 18" chrome wheel option - but don't see any of those on the road. agree with you on the white- car looks washed out. Regarding your ? on tricoat providing extra protection. I believe the only protection is the final clearcoat paint level that protects the finish.
  • Options
    Anyone know exactly how the spoiler is attached to trunk. Salesman tells me they are installed at dealer v. factory. Why?

My concern is that quality control is local. If dealer just drills holes in trunk lid it invites future rusting if not properly painted first and it would not be baked on. Four year paint guarantee is nice but I hope to have car longer.

This is no little concern to me as a past Bonneville rusted badly around holes where trim was attached.