Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• cooleyddcooleydd Member Posts: 105
    edited July 2011
    Remember lease rates are determined on the length of the lease, how many miles are included in the lease, the total cost of the automobile, the amount of expected value to the lease holder at the end of the lease and the interest on the money involved. Also pay attention to how much the per mile cost is after you have gone over the miles allowed on the lease.

You may also want to look at the buy out of the lease at the end of the lease.

So with all of these variables and if by bank or GMC or other - all will make a difference. Shop around to what makes the best deal for what you want.

The CXL has a special lease deal too.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    If you check carefully, you will find a small cutout on left side of tray near rear for cords.
    If charging batteries, most any device will get quite warm. I have not yet found one that got too hot, but then I have been unable to get USB portable HDD to work.
    Dang I'm cursed or cars I buy are.
    Daughter was out of town and needed AC work so I headed out yesterday morning to let the man in. Low tire pressure so stopped at station to get air. Then car would not start. After an hour they jumped and my wife took on the AC man.
    I headed straight for dealer and on way one of the front calipers stuck again momentarily causing pull to left.
    Dealer announced the exhaust system came in. I told them of issues I had on trip. But, you know how that is. If they can't duplicate I'll have to take it in the next time it acts up.
    They put me in a blue CXL that has some options. At least it has the remote start, HUD, HID lamps. It might not have seat memory or maybe it is not turned on and it does not have NAV so I don't know how to config it off hand. But I noticed that the bezzle around the display area is the same as with Nav screen and rear camera. To fit that bigger screen it is at a much greater angle, not vertical. And that is probably why there are issues with sun light.
    Stopped for awhile and drove. Now all features are turned on but not sure of function of seat memory or blind alert yet.
    But after those long rides, my back side seems to be sensitized to the slightest thing in the seat. That is I feel the same stuff in this one with only 1900 miles. And I suspect my dealer has had previous complaints of that issue because they described part of the process of replacing the padding in the seat. That is the heaters, padding, etc. are all bonded together and replaced as a single unit.
    After leaving the dealer yesterday and driving part way home, I decided it was time to start looking for another vehicle because of the long arduous process of finding this one. That is a just in case, but I want to have some forethought to that event if it happens.
    It certainly will be nothing in the GM line unless they can dazzle me. I rode by Lincoln thinking American made. Since Mercury is gone, I presumed the Lincolns may have been taken over by Ford. Wrong, but I glanced at some while I was there and the one thing that stood out was their Bumper to Bumper and powertrain warranties. I scolded the salesman, "that they did not think much of their product if they could not do better!"
    I looked at a Lincoln MKS, only one they had on showroom floor. Quite loaded, much better warranty, but much pricier as well. The one thing I noted was the comfort of the seat, much better. But still terrible headrests, and a common complaint.
    The MKZ is much lesser price, but I did not even get in. It will take much more investment of time. Not a pleasant task.
    All for now.
    Thanks for the Kudos Bob.
    Did any of you with system issues start with it being intermittant?
    I now have to wonder what will be next and hang my head in disappointment.
    I am so befuddled I did not complain much that they put me in a Chevy Aveo. Now that is truly a bare minimum car. Sort of like a roller skate with an enclosure. It did have a nice armrest, but I certainly would not want to be in an accident of any magnitude.
    Of those of you that had it replaced, did they put the same thing back?
    Through my dealer, GM has recognized the problem, and it is related to no flex joint transitioning from engine compartment to pipe under vehicle. As I recall, I can see that corrugation created by pushing pipe together on aft side of motor. I will have to look again, but they may change it.
    I decided to give this one a look, and don't see that at rear side of engine. And looking underneath there appears to be something like a flex joint. But what I don't like is the diameter of the pipe at that location. It is what I'd expect to see on a four cylinder of less than 50 HP. It would be quite restrictive on this 6 at WOT. I can't help but wonder if this was last minute engineered like the fuel rail replacement recalls. That was a terrible design laden with potential down the road problems, and likely the cheapest method they could get by with. Certainly not to the level of the original design.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    I currently drive a '09 Allure (Canadian Lacrosse) CXL, the last of the older style. Silver, titanium leather, nice car, but for a variety of reasons I have never really been in love with it. After owning it for a couple of years I am starting to become tired of the styling, which is similar to the same model going all the way back to 2005, so it is looking a bit familiar. The car itself is pristine and has only about 12,000 miles.

GM is offering some model year discounts at the moment and I can pick up a V-6 2011 Lacrosse CX for a decent price as they are offering over $3000 in incentives. The ones on the lots locally all have an option pack that includes dual-zone climate control and remote start which I gather is not standard. Most also have the machined 17" alloys versus the standard somewhat unattractive wheels. As near as I can tell what I am giving up on the CX are the fog lights, the exterior mirrors with the puddle lamps, chrome exterior door handles, and the memory seats.

None of these are particularly troublesome to me except that my current car has leather seats and I really do like that. Does anyone have a CX with cloth upholstery who cares to comment on it?

I would prefer the CXL with leather but the only ones available locally all have black leather and I do not want that. I was looking at one earlier today that is the same color as my current car but the new model does not look as good as the old in Quicksilver IMO and the black interior looks drab. At least the color combos available here with the CX models are somewhat attractive (dark blue, crystal red and mocha steel with titanium cloth, looks good). It seems that getting the 3.6 engine for this price might be an opportunity not to pass up. Thoughts?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Ab: We have a 2010 Lacrosse CXL not the CX. We chose the CXL for various reasons that included;
    1)Leather interior that included electric seat adjusters for BOTH sides. 7" height difference and wife's demand for good seat support and my bad back made this a priority and it works-great seats with total adjustment.
    2)Bluetooth and other electronic controls including dual HVAC controls that also work as designed and allow for individual adjustment.
    3)Suspension choices at the time allowed for 18" Michelins (NOT 19" GY with touring setup) and also H-arm rear that may not be available now. also
    included alloy wheels in package that go well with most exterior colors.
    4) Upgraded lighting package (mirrors, puddle lites, fog lamps that we use, and other features that make the car more friendly to live in.
    5)Total upgrade price of ~$2000 for CXL over CX that has less comfortable (adjustments) cloth seats, less desirable suspension and only 4-cylinder choice in 2010. You can get 3.6L V-6 now for more $.
    In conclusion, lots of useable features in the CXL package for not much more and the car is much more friendly and has a better resale with the leather and trim upgrades that buyers value. Well worth the money!
    Ours is silver exterior with titanium leather trim (no kids) and looks great!
    Outstanding car for the price with 22/28 max MPG with V-6.
    good luck -hope these points help in your search.
    These are insertions for the original poster.
    And I drive a CXS where 3.6L is standard, not added. It seemed the price of the engine, comparing CXL to CXS was a freebie plus added features standard on the CXS. Also there was one option that was actually cheaper priced for the CXS than the CXL. I'm guessing the price difference was because more people might purchase it on CXS than CXL sort of making it a special consideration on CXL line.
    Some of this pricing may also make sense comparing CXL to CX.
    1) I also have spinal issues and was prompted toward leather assuming that these would just be better than basic cloth and easier to clean. Be careful about assumptions. Note the passenger seat has no lumbar adjustment like some top end vehicles. Also I am now disappointed with the seats. They may have fixed the memory issue on new production or are still playing with that. I have had multiple problems of lumbar seat adjustment and it rapidly deflating intermittantly. And the most recent one to show after a 2500 mile run, I feel pressure points in seating. The heating wires are suspect at this point and dealer has said that the padding, heating element, etc. is one assembly and changed as such. But now that I'm sensitized after the long run I feel it in the CXL loaner with only 1900 miles on it. I have been in several other vehicles recently, including loaners, rentals, and OPs. Everyone of them had more comfortable seats and better support including cloth.
    2) Bluetooth worked absolutely great on mine including exchange of information with Navigation system. Until I used OnStar the first time. Something obviously mucked up. Sometimes it will hang up, especially if I hit answer button. Also it now no longer transfers between phone and vehicle as it should. If I'm within a hundred feet of vehicle, vehicle being off, and I call on cell, it transfers to the vehicle immediately. I'm hoping reinstalling my phone cures, but it could be some other crazy programming or updating they've done on my vehicle. I like the dual HVAC, but it has not always been accurate, sometimes showing wild swings requiring a reset of temperature. And one time on 96 degree day it blew only heated air. Not sure they got this fixed. For sure they do not have the CAF system working as advertised. And when driving or sitting in area of high bug populations, they get into vehicle. I noticed the bug problem on the CXL loaner as well yesterday. I'm uncertain that the filter removes pollen and odors as well on this one. My passenger yesterday just came back from trip, totally tore up with sinus and resporitory problems to the point he went to emergency. His front wheel drive Lincoln may not have filter and I experience similar issues when I travelled north through the same area. They had gotten back the night before and spent the night with me because their AC broke. After driving 80 miles north for a party yesterday he started getting some relief as did I, but it continued once there for the entire afternoon, so it was likely the outside air changing, not the filter doing its job.
    I've also experience these wild temp swings on some of the other loaner Buicks, including new Regal.
    3) H-arm was once standard on all but CX. Now it is included in option package for CXL & CXS. Standard on AWD. The package includes full time electronic monitoring of suspension, self adjusting, and a sport mode which I find very useful. Also the move to 19" wheels which has been automatically including GY tires. Horrible tires. They are very noisy compared to Michelin and very slippery when 1" of new snow hits otherwise clean pavement. Definitely a tire you do not want in your part of the country. Maybe you can do some deal with your dealer if that option is chosen.
    4) Lighting - I do not have a fog issue, usually, and if it was frequent, I'd consider changing the bulbs to amber. Otherwise they are quite useful at slower speeds for close in visibility in poorly lit areas. Especially for turns since this one does not have cornering lamps. And the articulating HID headlamps I now consider a must. They are much brighter and better focused having a tighter beam putting the light where you need it horizontally to the point high beams don't interfere with oncoming traffic on divided highways (those that have a median). I've driven Lacrosses without it and don't want to anymore. Also not available on the CX is the little directional signal light on mirror, an added safety. I also love blind spot alert, but this may be a problematic system and in the current loaner I question it. Yesterday I had a vehicle coming up the inside lane and the front of it was at my backend/side before it lit. Not so on mine. Not specific to lighting, but I also love the HUD, allowing me to keep eyes on road at all times. But I do wish they had done better in the area of voice activation with Nav. The LED tail lighting may be a plus.
    5) Much agreement here. Unless you are specifically looking for base transportation, I'd not consider the CX unless it had extremely extensive dump discounts. There are some features I'd want that just are not available on the CX, period, items I not only want but find good for safety and quite useful.
    From my prior dangerous experiences, I chose to stay completely away from anything with electric power steering. Although listed as standard on CX and base CXL, it is a bit confusing in option chart. Upgrade listed for CXL but still it may only be with the four cylinder.
    I do like the hyper-strut for handling and driveability, which is only available and standard on CXS. But one of the claims for it includes less, better control of torque steer. I ask, compared to what? One of my previous GM vehicles, a 96 V8 FWD had absolutely no torque steer, so I wonder why do any of them?
    And crankee has a 3.0L which sounds like a very good choice of engine and getting much better MPG than me with 3.6L. Unfortunately that engine now seems to be reserved for Cadillac.
    Again, without demanding base transportation, I found similar to crankee on pricing. The discounts available then were across all model levels. So when I added what I wanted to CXL I was at the price of CXS and was getting freebies with items that were standard on the CXS. They may not have been available on CXL or were another added cost.
    Good luck with your shopping.
    I was unaware of the 7" height difference. Exactly how is that? From ground or top of vehicle or what? From wheel or suspension differences?
    rider: Sorry for the confusion. &' refers to me being 6'1" and wife is 5'4" not the car height. Bench seat is out but also the seat travel distance is a big issue. Many cars go way up close but not back enough for the long legged folks. The Lacrosse is great for that with the ultra large rear seat leg room. Rear travel is not a problem- I have much to spare on ours.
    We keep cars a long time if they are dependable, so we check out the details and make very deliberate decisions regarding cars but still get stung every often. not this time - so far - great service,MPG and value IMO.
    Thanks to you and e_net_rider for the info.

I would also much prefer a CXL instead of the CX. Unfortunately both local dealers order all CXLs for stock with black leather interiors which I absolutely do not want. Titanium would be my first choice, cashmere second, but none are available.

The best deal locally on a CXL is one in Quicksilver with black inside. My current car is also Quicksilver and I like the color, but it would not be my first choice and certainly not with black.

I found one I like about 200 miles away with better colors and it even has chrome wheels. Dealer trade may be possible but I will think about it some more.

• bobbob2bobbob2 Member Posts: 28
    re: 2011 LaX CXS

Anyone know how to rename a recorded disk ?

Owners manual gives steps but my Infotainment System does not display same selections given in manual. For ex, I find no "Rename Recorded Discs." Furthermore, schematics show different button names on Overview , e.g., CD/DVD/MEM where I have MDD/DVD/AUX. [Manual even has its own buttons mislabeled which is sloppy and annoying]

Is this correctable with a reprogram, or am I missing something or just stuck and shud not waste more time?
    Can you tell me what page of manual you are referring to?
    Did you mean HDD/DVD/AUX, HDD being the hard drive.
    Are you in the infotainment manual, Lacrosse Navigation system?
    Well I've run up to a situation that is befuddling and even slightly mesmerizing.
    We all know we are able to get uploaded data via OnStar, and downloaded data via them as well, such as unlocking doors, killing engine, etc.
    What else can they download?
    Have any of you had a hint of some update being downloaded to your vehicle?
    The window of opportunity for it to be otherwise is quite small, that is someone doing it via direct contact to vehicle.
    One of the suspected items is downright dangerous to do to someone that is used to their vehicle reacting a certain way.
    Sound paranoid? Remember the answer to that? Certainly it is well within the realem of possibility these days and what I'm thinking of could save GM big bucks. Instead of issuing a recall and going through every dealer in the nation, they just download software updates directly to your vehicle.
    Are they doing it is what I want to know?
    Well I've got it back. They changed exhaust. I note the color is not exactly the same nor are the welds. Suspicious, I'll being taking a magnet to it to make sure it is stainless steel like the prior.
    The replaced one tire because it would that RFB. Vibration may be gone, but only short distance, lower speeds so far.
    Still has play in steering.
    And the seat memory may be worse.
    Still no answer as to which portable HDD's actually work.
    And likely other issues that I forgot to recheck or haven't popped yet.
    GM is supposed to call me tomorrow. I've got an earful for them, tier two or some tech level.
    I'm ready to bail out. Too darned much wrong with this new vehicle.
    Someone just put a new axiom to me yesterday. "When it comes off the line, that is as good as it gets." In other words, that is as good as it gets.
    I will monitor in case someone has need of an answer, but it looks like time needed to contact some other sources.
    Hello Rider,

I am looking at 2011 Buick LaX Owner Manual[the thickest book]. I see footnoted in its intro "Part No. 20859621 B Second Printing" and this No. is bar coded on outside back cover.

On p. 7-28 in Infotainment System section I found exactly what I was looking for under Renaming Recorded Disks. Except that my Menu knob can t locate the selection "Rename Recorded Discs" as instrux dictates so I'm stymied.

The fact that the Manual's accompanying schematic Overview p. 7-5 does not match my car leads me to think that I have changes or options unaccounted for in Manual. For ex. I have NAV & DEST buttons and what Manual shows as MEM/DVD/AUX I have HDD/DVD/AUX.

In case you wonder why I am spending time on this I've recorded several CDs but the default title on several only read Vol.1 or something nondescript. I confess I am thrilled w/recording ability[no more loose CDs in cabin] and will probably max out. I have time to listen in car, more so than elsewhere.

BTW sorry to read of ur tribulations w/urs.
    Thanks for the thought. I'm convinced this one should never have been built.
    As to your situation, you have a newer book. Mine came with revision A and does not have such info.
    But more importantly, yours has HDD. You have far more memory than those with only MEM. Having HDD indicates you have NAV system and that means you are looking in the wrong book. The best system is explained in the thinner book. Take a look.
    As of yet, I have not figured out making playlists. Although you have 10GB available on the HDD for music, you can fill that rather easily as well. I have not yet checked to see if copying a CD to HDD converts it to another format or it is left in the CD format, CDA.
    You will find that there are a couple of different recognizeable formats. Although the 11 speaker system has some shortcomings, I prefer to start with a true source, that is something that has all of the original sound (lossless). The closest to that may be the m4a format.
    What seems to be most widespread are mp3 and when done at the highest bit rate, 320, I seldom notice the difference.
    One of my issues now is getting the system to work with USB portable HDD. It is the only thing big enough to store my music, making the system sort of a portable juke box.
    If your needs are less, I find thumb drives and my iPod touch work.
    Both are pricey on cost per gigabyte. Current pricing of thumb drives would be about $150 for 2 32GB thumb drives (64GB). I bought a USB portable HDD, 500GB for $60. And I'm adding to my music library frequently.
    It seems that working with the music files is easier done on the computer, then copied to your media of choice (that works).
    One option, although discs but less of them, put it on DVDs which would hold approximately 7 full CD. But make sure there is nothing but audio on it or it will refuse while driving.
    I'm still waiting on an answer from GM as to which USB portable HDD actually work.
    Thx Rider.

You left a lot of info most of which was 7' tall and I am only 6'

Fortunately I have a son who's in IT for a major and will ask him for translation asst. Do u work for NASA? :=]

When I was buying my LaX2011 a salesman stated I wud be able to copy up to 75 CDs on the 9 gig drive. Based on wot u know is that an overstatement? I thot w/only ~6 CDs copied I had mucha room for more copies.

Hope u publish which USB portable GM recommends.
    As to a lie, sort of. That standard would be from about the time most people were still on dialup. MP3, one of the acceptable codings for music on this system, has many available 'bit rates'. I've seen some available downloaded songs as low as 32 kilo bits per second (kb/s). The highest available rate for MP3 is 320kb/s. MP3 are lossy coded so that even at the highest rate some fidelity of the original will be lost. But since some of the detail of the original is lost it makes a smaller file and you can put more songs in the same space.
    Example, if your original CD is full, it contains about 700 MB of music. By moving to an MP3 @ 320kb/s, it might be about 350 MB. If you drop all the way down to 32kb/s, the file then would be about 35 MB. So in the same space you might record one CD in native format, CDA, you could put 20 CD's.
    Note, these are not actual numbers, but an example.
    There are other formats that the system will also accept such as WMA, m4a.
    WMA is windows media audio, a proprietary format of Microsoft, which gained some prevelance for awhile. M4A is the audio portion of a movie format and probably the truest quality of those available except the native CDA. That is you get compression, but very low loss. I think that M4A is also compatible with ALAC (apple lossless audio codec).
    Remember, it is never worthwhile to convert a poor quality file to a higher, better quality.

I will post if I find out what HDD works. No answer so far.
    Following on to whether you can do 75 CD's, I don't really know the answer to that if you are talking about recording them to the HDD. That was one of my original questions, how they are recorded to the HDD and I don't yet have the answer or forgot.
    My question was like this. Does the record function copy the CD to the HDD or does it convert it to another format such as MP3?
    Since it is also supposed to replace a multi-disc CD player, it would have to stay in native format, CDA, and thus be impossible to put that many on the HDD.
    I see ur point but don t know answer altho I mite run into it practically as I keep loading.

I use 75 CD capacity becuz it was a fig. mentioned by salesman. And if storage is truly 9 gig I didn t have any question.

With Sirius aboard I probably will have no need or desire to load near that many.

It s a shame Buick doesn t build more interest around the computer. Younger generation mite be drawn to it. I am far from a techie but I am enjoying this new dimension in driving.
    I just checked my music download folder and it seems you could get a 1000 songs onto the HDD if in very high quality MP3.
    Of poorer quality, many more. Only your ears or others in vehicle can tell you. My ears are getting old and so I want to be able to hear all that is possible such as the true ringing of cymbals or other high notes and true drums or other low notes. I want it as if live.
    I too have XM, but find myself listening to it less and less. First, any channel gets a bit repetitive, although many channels.
    And they invented the system when medium quality MP3 was the standard. Many older music tracks were not of high quality when they were recorded originally. Vinyl had its limitation as do tapes. If music was re-released from the original metal tapes on CD, it is usually much better. Before the age of CDs, certain instruments were avoided during recording because they would not come through faithfully on a record or regular tape. You can tell the difference when listening.
    I'm still not sure I like the idea of live music being translated into bits and pieces, but when listening to recorded music, it is much better.
    Also with todays technology, they have the ability to add or replace the instrumental portions of a recording or even retranslate it so the full depth of instruments are on the new recording.
    Technology has come a long way. Definitely a new dimension in some ways. Nice to have soothing music sometimes in traffic.
    There commercials seem to be aimed at younger generation when they tout the Nav and pause play. Too bad they did not have some people at GM that actually knew what they were doing to build this into a flawless machine. Mine with the GY tires seems to ride more like an SUV.
    Rider,

Interesting background.

My ears are probably less discerning than connoisseurs and when I sing along I tend to be high on volume to make up for quality so true sound wud b wasted.

I have noticed that certain bass notes are scratchy as I believe addressed in other blogs. I haven t invested time to fiddle with controls from defaults to see if I can eliminate.
    Are you noticing it from CDs as I am?
    This should not be and shows a defect in the system somewhere. I played with fade and balance a bit the other day and it seems to come from more than one speaker.
    Beware that loose objects can create a fuzzy sound when they vibrate to a deep bass note. Any loose parts will also.
    And it seems the speakers in the doors are better with bass than the two in rear deck. I'd certainly like to get a look at all of them but am more concerned with the play in steering at this point.
    Later.
  • optiwenchoptiwench Member Posts: 3
    I have the same vibration. Really start to feel it around 60 mph to high 70's. I can feel it in the seat and steering wheel. Had it back to the dealer 3 times. They balanced the first time, did a road crush(?) and a tire to wheel match the second time, then kept it 3 days the third time. They have no idea what it could be. They took it on the interstate with me in it , for about 10 miles and definitly felt it. I have 2000 miles on it and this was to be my last car for a long while, as I am retiring soon. Wish me luck, I am going back tomorrow and try to get them to take it back and give me another. I am just sick over this expesive mistake. There was nothing wrong with the 2008 VW Passat I traded in. I think its still there, maybe I can get it back!
    I'm having a bit of trouble deciphering your message because you chose to start a new thread rather than replying to a message that was pertinent to your situation. I'd be surprised if the hosts don't move it.
    I'm sorry that you too are having issues but I'd be surprised if anyone has as many as I.
    But here goes. Road crush? Are you referring to what is more commonly known as RFB, road force balance. I'd make sure that is what they did. That is what they did on mine and replaced a tire because of results. But I also now know why they say to replace tires in pairs because with 11K on the other one I can definitely feel a difference. Make sure they do all four.
    If that did not show any problem, then there are other things to be done. Because you feel it in seat as well as wheel, it may not be related to rear. Ask around and see if anyone still has one of the old balance on vehicle machines. That way you can isolate to axle(s) that are the problem.
    If not, proceed with a thorough inspection of anything that rotates while driving such as driveshafts and brake rotors. Brake rotors need to be balanced during manufacturing and those that are double layered often have weights put into the vent area. The drive shafts can be more difficult and may be necessary to replace to determine if they are involved. But then per my dealer, GM wants them to be all like the new ones rolling off the line and substitution seems to be their recommended method with some items because they don't want to let mechanics know too much.
    2000 miles seems to be about the time I noticed anomalies relating to break-in of joints in CV shafts so maybe your's just broke instead.
    I'm in the same boat as you with buying last car for a long time. I planned it as a trip car and very disappointing. Two hours on this seat will tell you one of the reasons. For a long time I thought it was creases in my jeans that were causing pressure points. Alas it is the seat itself and in may ways these are horrible seats. Who would have checked that closely on such a vehicle? It would be expected that for 40K you'd have some of the nicest seats in industry.
    Good Luck.
    Hello e rider! Thanks for your response. I am not very computer savvy and often do things the wrong way. I am happy, and lucky to get your response. Yes, road force is the proper term. I am glad you knew what I meant.
    My trip to the dealer yesterday was not really productive other than the service manager admitting that they were aware of a ongoing problem with the Lacrosse line. It goes back into the shop on Wed. and I will be sure to mention the things that you suggested. I am from old school and know a little about older cars, and nothing much about newer ones. I did mention to them that maybe they could check what used to called the U-joints.I believe that to be CV joints?? I will post later to see what they determine, but it seems like it will be more lip service. Thanks again. Carol
    By now anyone should no that all vehicles since 1996 use an OBDII computer system. Believe it or not, it is 16 bit and we seem to be stuck in the now much defunct real world of computers. 32 bit has been being used since the advent of Windows 95 and Windows NT 3.51(?). But that is not what bugs me. It is that the only places the equipment to deal with the system is the dealer. Take your vehicle somewhere else and they troubleshoot to find you need a new computer. They buy it, take it to dealer for programming, then install it.
    That is they have the capability with that machine to change things without your knowledge. Lets say you are getting a light for overtemp. Your warranty is almost out. They bump the set point enough so light does not come on. Then when warranty is out they bump back down. I don't know it works exactly like that, but this is for sure.
    I have been aware of a shift update for some time. What initially bothered me is it had to be installed before base warranty was up or you would be charged. And I simultaneously noted that it was for customer satisfaction and would decrease gas mileage.
    Cruising multiple forums, there are a quite a few drivers who have been unable to adjust to the amount of pedal needed to get the desired degree of acceleration. Example: 09+ Malibu with I4. The common complaint read like this. When accelerating they always got a drop of two gears. First they were missing the first spot of added pedal that would unlock the TCC, torque converter clutch. But hitting the zone that also added one gear drop. To the floor automatically dropped appropriate gears and unlocked. These shift updates were all noted as decreasing gas mileage.
    I had no problem with the factory shift in either vehicle, yet it has been installed on my 11 lacrosse. I never asked for it or complained of shifting! And I have to wonder when it was installed. It has just been this week that I've noticed it. Somewhere I came across a suggested shift RPM of 3500 RPM. It was definitely taking a lot more peddle than I'd normally drive with to reach that before shifting. But now with mild added acceleration, especially upper gears, it winds to 4500 - 5000 RPM before upshifting.
    I did not notice immediately after getting vehicle back last time, but could have missed it with pretty much city drive.
    But, I mentioned the change in seat memory programming on the loaner I took back. It had a full five seconds and no stupid move if rear door was opened. About 2 miles from home I stopped to pick up a coffee. When I got back to the vehicle, I was a bit disorganized putting coffee on roof, opened door, then realized I needed something from pocket. I retrieved it, grabbed the coffee, got in, and still had plenty of time before it moved. Once at the dealer, it was out of my sight for maybe 10 minutes. After they showed me how mine was which was just around the corner of the building from the other, I told them I wanted mine like the blue one, the one I just returned. We went to the vehicle so I could demonstrate. It was now doing the same stupid stuff mine is. I was dumbfounded, egg on face, confused. How could this be? I had the vehicle for about 10 days and set the seat memory and other settings to work before I drove off with it. And it worked fine the whole time, except the stupid parameters for the SBZA.
    Right now, my best guess is that like the signals they can send to slow down or even disable, they can send other programming via the OnStar system. I can not imagine that anyone would want that, especially for the SBZA because the range is shortened so much that it is bound to result in accident if you are unaware of the change.
    Rider: We bought our 2010 CXL with 3.0L on 7/8/2010 and asked about all the current field mods being updated. We were assured that they were current. also asked about shift program mods a couple times and told that our Vin# called for none.
    As discussed before, our car has "learned" our driving habits and the car shift behavior is noticeably improved over time. Going up any long steep grade at 75-80 results in no shifting. Below 70, or when behind a car from Ohio , Wisconsin or Florida in the fast lane doing 45 MPH, we do have a shift down situation. That group is hard to program around IMO.
    Update on MPG: 29.7 MPG at 70, 28.6 at 80 when safe. low 20's in all city driving. all in all OUTSTANDING for a 4300# car. Great handling with 18" Michelin all weather setup. VERY well designed and assembled vehicle.
    Good luck with your problems.
    Crankee
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the update on yours Crankee.
    Sure wish I could say the same of mine. I forget, do you have the cooled seats? I'm trying to figure why I feel the pressure points in mine. Not sure if it is the heating wires or something to do with attempting air flow through it for cooling. PP design it seems.
    As you stated, the vehicle seems to learn your style of driving. I definitely noted that in the 4 cylinder Malibu, and if you needed more power, there was always WOT.
    Thus I cannot understand the sudden changes I'm seeing. The higher than normal RPM before shifting, especially at speeds of 45 and up. Moderate acceleration goes to 4500 -5000 RPM. On one occasion I pushed it a bit and it revved just shy of 6K RPM. About 5800. But what caught my attention was a stutter just before it shifted. If this was a much older vehicle, it felt like valve float, points floating, or plug fouled from highly leaded high octane fuel.
    Not in a hurry, I cruised gently home twice this last week. Speed limits between 45 and 65. Only a couple of traffic lights caught me on that 120 mile run. Average speed was 56.6 and 58 MPH. MPG was 25.8 and 25.9. Definitely not good for driving ideal speeds.
    I'm not sure how GM decides which VIN get updates. I can tell you the Malibu I had was not on the list for the missing diodes, but I verified they were not on it. Maybe they roll dice.
    I asked service writer when I dropped off yesterday, if they had updated shifts or SBZA. He did not know, but would check. He still had no explanation for how the loaner I was in had 5 second delay on seat, and then suddenly reverted to being stupid like my car.
    I will call him shortly to see if he found out which USB HDD actually works.
    Hope you see lots of trouble free miles. That is what I expected.
    BTW, I'm in a Regal loaner. I hate to admit it, but I think the seats in it are more comfortable.
    edited July 2011
    rider: No we do not have the cooled seats, only heated and electric adjust on both sides ( needed due to height diff of wife/mine. My spouse is all over the seat comfort in our fleet. We drive 700-900 miles a day on trips so that is big factor. We have found upgrade (leather/electric) are also the best for not only initial but LT comfort due to lack of breakdown.
    Your shift pattern is clearly NOT the economy first pattern in our Lacrosse with the 3.0L V-6. Per prior posts, ours shifts up faster and down slower.
    RPM's is the key with the 6-speed and the DOHC/VVT/DI engines that drive more like older sports cars than older sedans that had bigger engines with flat torque curves at lower RPMs so the shifting was not an issue.
    The major oil companies/lobbied politicians changed that with our foreign policy when we stabilized Iraq & then enjoyed $3-$4 gas so they could supersize their profits without increased demand. Result was the car guys had to increase EPA MPG numbers by any means possible. Excuse the rant.
    The shift solenoid in older GM products controlled the pattern with the prom setup but I don't know how the new universal 6-speed operates. good luck
    This little nugget comes directly from GM:
    inhibit starting if their ID
    doesn’t match what is stored in the BCM. For example, the SDM,
    HVAC, EBCM and IPC, among others, all have IDs that must match in
    order for the BCM to allow starting the engine.
    I read the rest of it, but this enough to tell you what you face. (And you thought the price with coding of a new key FOB was high).
    If two exactly alike vehicles roll off the line, you can not swap any of these parts or the vehicle will not start.
    A)you must take vehicle to dealer when any of the above parts have a problem.
    B)you will pay for troubleshooting. (not unusual)
    C)vehicle will be down while parts are ordered and received. (probably not unusual) Likely two trips to dealer.
    D)Dealer will install parts.
    E)Dealer will program part so it has a matching ID to your vehicle.
    So in addition to the normal cost of replacing some parts, you will pay the additional cost of doing a computer hookup for programming. Not just a new computer anymore!
    Not sure what IPC and SDM are, but BCM is body control module, HVAC is for heating and airconditioning, and EBCM is the electronic brake control module. And it said "among others" so we don't know how many modules fall under this.
    I worked a system that was mostly analog, mostly solid state, and one component in it had about 100 relays. All parts were subjected to high heat, and extreme cold temps at 50,000 + feet. A wide range of G-forces from CAT shots to hard landing. Inappropriate voltages and wide range of atmospheric pressures. Sometimes very high humidity, salt air, and occasional dousing of various fluids from fuel to oil and solvents. These relays were probably 10 years old by the time I started working on the system and during my 6 years there were very few failures. I would estimate that the entire fleet had 98% of its original relays when I last worked on it. That is a very high time for MTBF in my book. I wish I could say the same for this vehicle. (look at headlight problems for lacrosse slightly older than ours)
    Also this:
    Swapping ECMs or other modules (including the BCM, EBCM, SDM, ECC, and
    IPC) on Global A vehicles will result in damaging both controllers and a no start
    condition will occur in both vehicles due to the new vehicle security code protocol
    (environment).

I think that pretty much says, "Forget about taking it anywhere but dealer."
    edited July 2011
    Just got call from service writer.
    No answer on which USB portable HDD actually work.
    No duplication of play in steering.
    No problem with AC.

They did not say what they did to SBZA, which I suspect is nothing.
    And told it was ready.
    I did learn they changed the column, which means they missed a bulletin saying not to for the lock problem. They were supposed to install a special washer.

I'm ready to punch someone from GM. Gutless idiots at GM have not returned promised call which I've repeatedly passed through dealer.

And the little tidbits I posted concerning Lacrosse from GM, that would not be all because it turns out there are a lot of bulletins that would be listed under "all vehicles". Each one of them would need searching for content.
    I learned more about the coding to parts. Although some parts get the code at dealer, most are coded when ordered. It is done according to your VIN and even the dealer is not able to do those parts.
    Picked up vehicle today. Everything was written that they could not duplicate.
    Example, the SBZA. Even though it did not alert until the vehicle was actually past the rear bumper, dealer states all the new ones coming in are like that and GM says that is how it is designed. If any of you had a properly functioning unit, it may get reprogrammed to bad. GM has so many issues that all of them seem to be walking the company line in lock-step. And that may be why they are in so much trouble. No one inside the company is willing to stand up and announce there is a problem so problems never get fixed.
    They talked the company line for everything. And strongly suspect they are in the position where they have fixed things that I complained to GM about, forgot to mention to dealer, and did it without any paperwork. I mentioned the door seals coming apart at a factory splice some time back. I knew I forgot to mention to dealer when I dropped off that time. But when I picked up and about to leave, the manager walked past me. I said goodnight to him and at the last second remembered them. When I went to show him, no tear. He just smiled and said, "Don't worry we'll take good care of you." What could I say, no problem to show him. All four doors were likely fixed. I only checked two.
    But the dance will go on.
    Yes, I have a good dealer compared to many I've seen. As to the AC, I suspect they recharged the system, but don't know for sure. I'll have to watch that some more. As to the electronics problem of it, they may have fixed, but I'd bet not because of how intermittant it is. So for now, they find nothing wrong.
    I have not been feeling well lately so I was not real pressing to the dealer. I know he was making an effort to find out about the HDD. After Gm running him through the loops and they acting stupid to him, he called me because he did not have an owners manual in hand. And no new ones with nav system on lot. I tried to locate the online pdf I had downloaded, they removed from site. So I sent him a copy of mine.
    GM has taken a page from MS. Don't print anything, that way the customer has nothing to compare to. You must remember that, everytime there was a new release of an OS, there became less documentation. That also helped eliminate errors in the writing.
    Despite my dealers efforts, he has gotten no answer concerning HDD usage. I was so ticked they removed the Nav manual I called GM customer service. I got the usual run around, passed to Nav department, wait, they only sell the update disks. Fuming, I called back. Somehow managed to get someone in Nav technical. Not part of their business. I simply told her, you don't get the USB port without the Nav system so it has to fall in their area. After more passing around of me I got someone who promised to look deeper. And call backs that they did not know and could not find anyone who did. !!+=*** Finally I got someone who told me she was working "outside the box" but was willing to pursue. It seems they have to make contact with the manufacturer of the unit and try to get a response from them.
    I just got another call, hoping they will have answer by tomorrow.
    This is not the ony thing they dropped from print. I was trying to locate that info concerning the CAF and its being able to remove odors. One of the sources I know was the AC Delco parts site. It is not there anymore, but I found a copy I saved when pulling up the pdf for the nav system. The filters, the carbonized ones which is what this vehicle uses, is claimed to remove smoke, odors, and other stuff such as pollen. I will make them eat there words since it does not do that.
    I will publish the list of HDD that GM claims will work here once I get it.
    I have so much music available it might take a while for it to load from a HDD, but I'll have a wide choice.
    Time for oil change and I'll let you know test results as soon as I get it back.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Buick is dead serious about shedding its old man's image and demographics as it increases the performance of the 3.6V engine to 303 hp while maintaining the same MPG numbers. Wow! numbers like that used to be reserved for the Cadillac brand but no more. Read more at http://www.egmcartech.com/2011/06/22/2012-buick-lacrosse-gets-303-hp-3-6l-v6-fue- l-economy-remains-the-same/
  • jtsvajtsva Member Posts: 1
    I concur that this happens and I have a Motorola Droid 2. This is because they want you to not lose your call if you purposely didn't end when cutting off your car. The problem I now have is my Buick will no longer pair with any phone. The minute you try to establish the Bluetooth pairing process you get a Bluetooth Failure message. Taking it in on Monday to the dealership.
    edited August 2011
    Correct about maintaining connection. That is what the transfer option is supposed to handle when leaving vehicle. Mine was doing it automatically upon entering or leaving vehicle.

When yours starting acting up, did you use OnStar or was it to dealer?
    Are there any other features that have changed without explanation?
    My Bluetooth started acting stupid right after using OnStar a one and only time. But not certain it was the reason.
    I fought with the system for nearly a half hour trying to reinstall phone. It should take about 20 seconds. It now works better as it it now answering calls as it should instead of hanging up, but still has issues.
    One thing I just noticed recently is there has been a change in screen access. When vehicle was newer, I could access the page where you could dial a number from screen. Even used it a few times and let my wife use it because she left her phone behind. Brought up the screen while rolling down interstate. Told her to punch in number and it worked. So something has changed. Also it now is stupid about downloading missed, dialed, etc. calls from the cell phone.
    Also when I recently had no start and was trying to call for assistance, even though the vehicle had been off for several minutes, I could not use my cell phone within a hundred feet of it. They wanted VIN which I tried to read from vehicle, but as soon as I got near it, it transferred to inside of vehicle. That is not wanted.
    I am now finding GM updates break more than they fix sometimes and suspect there may have been a forced update one of the many times vehicle was to dealer. Also to other systems such as seat memory, tranny shift program, A/C control, and who knows what else. Oh, the SBZA which now has horrible range.
    I was in fairly loaded loaner. Seat memory had five second delay when opening door and seat would not move ahead when rear door was opened with front open. I asked to have mine like it, it was newer than mine. I was told GM wanted them all alike, so they made that one stupid like mine. I strongly suspect the logic is Chinese and I've ran across some writing that to me sounds like it was translated from Chinese. I derive that conclusion from the troublesome manuals I got with a 73 Mazda RX2 rotary. Very poorly translated fromJapanese.
    I have learned that a lot of GM people don't even know the vehicle. To find out what HDD actually works with these vehicles, they are having to go back to the source of the Nav system because they have absolutely no info on it in house. They even removed the online manual that says you can use a portable HDD.
    How much power do we need?
    Do we need it to be close to a McClaren?
    It might be nice to own one of those very limited production 69 Corvettes, the one where it is stamped on the console 427 HP. That was a big block V8. And a tranny behind it. It was strictly getty up go. No power anything to drag it down, not even power steering. But I'm certain I would not drive it very much.
    So what is the point? Are they trying to make an engine with rather poor economy look more attractive?
    I just figured it out. With the Lucerne gone, the LaCrosse is now the flagship of the Buick brand. And to be top dog, the model must be substantial in size, quality, luxurious amenities and performance. So the 300+ hp makes sense.

However, if this is the intent, then a 4 cylinder, LaCrosse CX with cloth seats diminishes the brand. Furthermore, the upcoming Verano (a Chevy Cruze clone) dilutes the brand even more. To fetch premium prices and to maintain the cache of an upscale brand Buick should avoid its schizophrenic marketing strategy.
    If the Lucernne is gone, then likely the Impala as well.
    As I recall, they both had 3.9L available and AT4. MPG was likely a little less than Lacrosse. So in a climate of high gas prices and ever increasing pressure to raise CAFE numbers, it does not make sense.

And then there is the quality of the Lacrosse on the high end. At least it is an issue for me. Just as a start, there are lots of vehicles with more comfortable seats.
    edited August 2011
    Impala is still alive and a major cog in the GM plan. One more year of the old paltform and older (pre DI/VVT/DOHC) engine line to get rid of all those.
    Next Impala is to be on the Epsilon platform (Lacrosse) with similar engine setups. After that a rear drive Impala with bigger interior and more engine.
    Motor Trend and Automobile have been fed the facts to dribble out the marketing plan.
    Too bad about your Lacrosse experience (and Malibu before that). Ours has really been an exceptional machine and a true value buy for us with a great warranty that we have not had to use sofar (knock on wood!).
    Enjoy - Life is Short. Crankee
    Schizophrenic is the perfect word. After they used up Bob Lutz the telephone/gov't appointed leaders went into a frenzy to mark their turf. That period was tougher inside GM than for us, but they are now back to making cars and not soundbites for politicians so hopefully things are better inside GM.
    This is a great country, but the model of greed and self serving individuals has resulted in what you call Schizophrenic behavior, with great companies and institutions (government, schools, medical services etc.) being adversely impacted by dollar & power driven individuals. Oh well - please excuse the rant. Maybe we will be shocked backed into reality and service for the well being of the group. Better cars is the least of our concerns, but they are getting better in spite of the aforementioned behavior.
    Enjoy Life - It is Short. Crankee
    I thought I read the Impala was to be on super-epsilon, same as park avenue when they bring it back. Are they doing a short term epsilon version?

Do You have the SBZA? I'm guessing not because of the time when it was added. Would love to hear from someone who has it and found the range changed.
    I am still on the fence regarding trading my '09 Allure (old style Canadian Lacrosse) for an '11 now that there are good incentives to be had. I was considering the CX because the local dealers have a couple that appeal to me looks-wise, one in Crystal Red (which is not available for order now, so it has been there a while) and one in Midnight Blue, both with titanium cloth seats and the 17" alloy wheels. There is also a CXL in Quicksilver, the color of my current car, with black leather. I would need to have a super deal to buy that because I don't like black interiors, but it seems to be a better deal than the CX to be honest (only about $1500 more for a lot more stuff). I found one in the same color but with titanium leather at a dealer 200 miles away and I would prefer that if I were to jump and a dealer swap could be arranged. Generally I like light colors inside and out. The red and dark blue are attractive paints on this car though. There are no Summit white versions anywhere nearby and one Diamond White, but it has the cashmere interior and a bunch of options that make it a lot more pricey.

Yes that could be correct. Super Epsilon or Epsilon II in GM speak. Also read that they were noodling an idea for an SS model with rear drive and BIG engine. fist the new Impala then the retro approach if the market (read gas, MPG, economy, Payback of 1/3 Fed remaining preferred shares etc. etc.) cooperates and that looks pretty clouded right now.
    ab: We have the 2010 cXL in quicksilver with light grey (titanium) leather.
    The CXL has electric seats on both sides and they are most comfy for us. I agree with your comment that the CXL offers lots of extras @ $1500-$2000
    My wife prefers leather so we always get that- duh!
    edited August 2011
    The Buick Park Avenue (latest Chinese version) is a really nice car. How is it different from the LaCrosse? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/New_Buick_Park_Avenue.j- pg/800px-New_Buick_Park_Avenue.jpg