Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• shell51shell51 Member Posts: 1
    Don't suppose anyone has figured out this clock problem. Had the same thing happen as what happened to Dwight. The dealership said my Lacrosse was supposed to automatically adjust for the time change. It didn't this time & I've tried multiple, multiple times to set it following the manual. What is the deal?!

Shell
  • cooleyddcooleydd Member Posts: 105
    Update: After finding the cost of new maps of $190.00 for my Lacrosse I decided to look around at portable nav units. I found a Garmin 1490 with lifetime maps and lifetime traffic. It has 4 map updates a year. I purchased the unit for around $160 from Amazon and updated the maps. I charged the battery and added addresses.

It also has Bluetooth and paired it to my phone. Now I can use all of the phone numbers in my cell phone to call hands off. I do not have to add phone numbers. In addition it has all of the phone numbers of the Points of Interest so I can locate one and call. I can call these phone numbers by voice as I do on my cell phone.

All in all it is a terrific unit and I like it really better than the nav in the Lacrosse. Although I bought this for another car I think I may just buy another one for my Lacrosse. It is worth it just for the map updates. It has all of the bells and whistles of the Lacrosse nav unit plus some additional ones like speed limits of major toads (and even some minor roads) displayed.

It is a 5" screen (smaller than the Lacrosse) but is more easily read and more information displayed.

I don't think I will ever buy a built-in nav unit again in a car. I can buy these portable units for all my cars at a price far less than one Lacrosse nave unit. In addition I can move them from car to car when I buy a new car.

Recommended
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Member Posts: 114
    You trade mobility for security and convenience. These units are stolen with great frequency.
    Caveat Emptor
  • cooleyddcooleydd Member Posts: 105
    I could have a lot of these units stolen before I hit the cost of the nav unit.

I find the Garmin to be convenient and better security because it is up to date with maps. There are other things about the Garmin that makes it as convenient, if not more so, than the built in nav unit.

Don't get me wrong I love my Lacrosse - don't know off hand of any other car I would trade it for. It has its problems, as discussed here, but no more so, at least in my opinion and probably less,than most brand new model cars (mine is a 2010 bought soon after introduction.

But for the price of the nav unit it ought to come with lifetime map updates free or a very small cost. They have the updates anyway and they are downloadable which is very low cost for GM.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Aftermarket Nav units are generally better than just about any in-dash OEM unit. The integration is where the OEM Units shine. You can have your radio cranked up and the system lowers the volume to tell you your next turn, and no aftermarket unit is going to put the directions on the HUD as the LaCrosse does.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• bobinorbobinor Member Posts: 63
    Hey, guys, no love for OnStar turn-by-turn as the alternative to built-in NAV? Never have to worry about map updates, directions cut in over radio or phone calls, turns are displayed on the DIC as well as the larger screen as you approach them (or you can keep them up there, your choice), friendly, efficient service by OnStar reps when you ask for directions, etc.

OK, no HUD and you can't scroll around your route to see adjacent streets/roads but the idea is just to get to someplace you don't otherwise know how. Not to play with maps. Apps in my iPhone give me all the POI I need that a NAV or Garmin can.

I'm sure all you NAV owners got the email from GM offering a Christmas special $50 off on DVD updates to NAV maps. My wife's 2010 Equinox LTZ has the NAV so I inquired what it would cost for the 'Nox update. $149.99 after $50 off. It listed 2 versions available: one dated 2011 and the other dated 2012. I called to find out what the difference was and the answer was priceless. They have a bunch of the 2011 (older) versions available and try to get rid of them. How nice of GM to be sure to give us the opportunity to get a version that's already out-of-date! The way the 2 versions were described on the web site after loading in your make, model, etc. was perplexing. The 2011 version described by make the cars it fit. The 2012 version had some cryptic description that had no mention of a car model/make. It seemed to me to be a means to steer a prospective buyer to the older version since their car model was not in the 2012 label. Cunning strategy?
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    I see a disturbing trend in this area. That is a lot of the 2010+ showing up on used car lots. These are not GM lots but lots unaffiliated with any brand. These lots usually get most of their vehicles from wholesale auctions. Those vehicles show up at auctions for a few reasons. One, they don't have room on their used car lot and feel they can turn current inventory more profitably. That might be faster. Demand elsewhere might mean more profit by wholesaleing it even though trucking expenses are involved. The cost or time of fixing it might not be worthwhile.
    And with mine I suspect the latter. My dealer made attempts at fixing all the many issues within the constraints of GM. They did make two items worse, but I have no way of knowing if it was the competence of the mechanic, dealer decisions, or GM procedures. But the bottom line was that the GM district rep said he did not see anything wrong. I clearly showed him two items that were undeniable. (by example, it was like showing him a puddle of water and saying that is water. The only way I could have been wrong was if it was maybe gasoline and I would like to have had him standing in it.)
    He was not stupid I'll presume so I must assume this was coming from above him and speaks of GM.
  • nferrnferr Member Posts: 32
    Picking up a new 2012 LaCrosse tomorrow. CXL V6 leather with sunroof and chrome wheels. Got the carbon black metallic with titanium interior. Wow are these LaCrosses quiet and smooth riding. Plenty of power too. Pretty excited.

They're running great lease deals. Excluding tax I'm under $300 a month with absolutely nothing out of pocket. That includes the dealer fees and registration too. The car lists for $34,795 if I recall correctly.
    Congratulations! You'll enjoy the ride and just about everything else about the LaCrosse. My 2011 CXS is a dream. And welcome to the forum. We'll look forward to your reports.
  • pharesphares Member Posts: 2
    congratulations!! you will enjoy it. i love my 2010 cxs
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Congrats on your new Lacrosse. You will love it. I'm 4 months and 4,000 miles into my new 2011 Lacrosse and it has been perfect in every respect.

And yes, they are a very quiet and smooth operating machine! :)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    nferr,
    Congratulations on the purchase of your new baby. You mentioned your purchase was model year 2012 but I believe it is probably a 2011 since the CXL trim level was dropped after 2011 and replaced with seven new "Group" flavors for 2012. Nonetheless, enjoy the ride and welcome to the growing and satisfied Buick LaCrosse family.
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    It's great to hear about your new LaCrosse. And the black color- Wow! I understand your excitement. I had the same feelings when I purchased my 2011 CXL red LaCrosse last year. The Buick image has definitely improved with the LaCrosse ( and Enclave which we owned before trading in for a GMC Denali Acadia AWD, and Regal) addition to their lineup. I absolutely love my LaCrosse- it handles so well and the ride rivals the comfortable ride of a Cadillac DTS I had previously(2006). My friends constantly say they can't believe it is a Buick! This has been my favorite car of many I have owned over the years. Enjoy your new LaCrosse!!
    It's a 2012. It's a leather package 3.6. I didn't even realize they weren't using the CX/CXL/CXS designations anymore.
  • howell777howell777 Member Posts: 5
    Have a 2010 CSX Lacrosse. What backlight color should the display screen be when radio and navigation off? Mine used to be blue but after some work by the dealer it is now black - a minor thing but I did prefer the blue. What color is yours? And..............does anyone know how to change the color?
  • joelippard3joelippard3 Member Posts: 18
    I too have a 2010 CXS. What kind of work did they do to yours? Mine has the blue with the Buick logo in center and the day/date/time when the radio is off and it matches the ambient blue lighting. I would not stand for having that black screen and make them put it back the way it was immediately.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I looked through the 2010 Buick Lacrosse Navigation Manual , and am not 100% sure if the following will allow you to adjust the backlight, but wasn't able to find anything else closer.
    Press the "CONFIG" hard key to display the Set Up Menu
    To scroll through the available set up options, continue pressing the "CONFIG" key and look for anything marked "Display".
    I hope that this was helpful!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Rider: Maybe I'm hallucinating but I thought you got GM to take back your Lacrosse due to a myriad of problems with yours that no one else was experiencing. Our 2010 CXL is OUTSTANDING in all respects as are many others on this board. Are you still revisiting to rebash the brand?
    Exactly the answer I was looking for. The GM Tech updted my Navigation - said I was getting more accurate gps data in Hawaii than here in NC. I am sure he did something to change the screen color so............will see him tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Tried this and the only options available are: Rear Camera - imming and Display Off. Seems strange since my 2004 Prius allows several screen colors. Oh Well since I know thanks to another csx owner that the screen should be blue I will go back kto the dealer tomorrow.
    One would think that the GM technicians would have this kind of stuff down pat. When I first questioned them on this their response was "thats the way the screen is supposed to be - black"
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >I thought you got GM to take back your Lacrosse due to a myriad of problems with yours that no one else was experiencing.

That was a Malibu he got GM to buy back with problems he said he was experiencing.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

My 2012 PIII screen is black while off

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    But he posted that he was in discussions with GM to do the same thing with the Lacrosse. I read it in a way that led me to understand that it was a done deal - that was a couple of months back.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

That's my recollection, as well, that he got rid of the LaCrosse. But I reread his last post and it doesn't really say he still has the car. Just that he still has issues - with GM, too.
    I'm sorry that I wasn't able to help solve the screen display problem. Please keep me updated on the progress of this and if you should need any assistance, we're here.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Still getting familiar with it but everything works fine so far. Really enjoy driving it and I'm coming out of a 2009 BMW 3-Series. The handling is much better than I was expecting for such a large car. Really handles well. The 3.6 moves it along just fine too.
  • anonymous17anonymous17 Member Posts: 4
    My brake pedal pulsates with the classic warped rotor signature after 20k miles on my 2010 LaCrosse. I pulled the wheel to inspect and the brake pads are darn near new! I intended to pull back the caliper and remove the rotors to get them turned as i have done many previous cars, but i was unable to ge the rotor off. I was reluctant to give it a serious whack to dislodge it from the hub . Any pointers?
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    edited January 2012
    One would assume that the rotors may still be under warranty. If so, let the dealer do it on their dime. Ive yet to pull a wheel to check mine.

One other thing......check the rears too. TWICE I've had brake pulsing in vehicles, replaced the fronts only to find the pulsation still there!!!! Replaced the rears, and Voila!!!! Pulse gone!!!
    Your 2010 Lacrosse with 20k on the clock is still under full bumper-to-bumper warranty from Buick.

Do not attempt rotor removal unless you are a qualified mechanic and even then it would completed free of charge by any Buick dealership in the country so why do it yourself?

I would schedule a service appointment at your convenience.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    > to dislodge it from the hub .

Do I understand that you mean it was stuck solidly to the hub and no movement?

Or do you mean it would wiggle but you couldn't get it free of the metal piece that is there to hold the caliper?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

edited January 2012
    As a 2010 Buick will have a 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper limited warranty, it will probably be worthwhile to bring your vehicle to your dealership. Please let us know if/when you decide to go in, and whether you would like for us to assist in the process.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Since when are brakes covered under warranty?

edited January 2012
    If you read carefully, you will likely find there is some coverage, but probably not under the bumper to bumper, that is 4 years/50K miles. If you get that much, it would be almost unbelieveable.
    I don't understand why people are having warped rotors? Unless you have been ignoring advice to check behind anytime a wheel is removed for any reason. I guess I could slap myself, but it was my wife's vehicle and I did not take it in. I think she had a rotation, but about two weeks later the pulsing/shaking showed up. That dealer had always been good about torqueing, except that one time. Damage done, but I wanted to stop it from getting worse, and it actually got a little better. With the torque wrench set and trying to back off nuts so I could retighten, some almost needed standing on the wrench to brake loose. Probably around 160 ft.lb. Then I found a couple of them very loose. The first one like that I hit with abandon trying to shock it loose. I went rolling on the ground and think it maybe only had about 40 ft.lb.
    If you shop a bit, you can find nice torque wrenches for around $20 when on sale. They are Chinese, but seem to have quality and accuracy. If you are doing precision work, then I'd say have the annual calibrations done or whatever the job calls for.
    BTW, I was angry that they messed up and dropped by dealer to give chewing. They had a woman behind the counter that would not know the difference between a fork and a shovel. Argued with me that she never heard of improper torqueing causing rotor warpage. Obviously an idiot and I hate dealing with incompetent people. This very morning I had to deal with her again. Somehow my wife got a screw in the same exact position on the new Michelins as previous tires. Woman said she'd plug it. She obviously does not know what she is talking about because plugging a tire has been against the law for some years now. And that is federal because they found out the old method of sticking a plug in from the outside led to blowouts. The steel belts would cut the plug with time. What is required is a patch/plug. It looks like a patch with the plug attached. You dismount, buff the area of the hole, pull the plug portion through from the inside and apply pressure for awhile. That way it becomes an integral part of the tire and not a problem if the plug portion is cut.
    BTW, you can buy an armful of torque wrenches for the price of one rotor job. Turning is just a get-by. New car, new rotors, I'd demand new rotors so they last the expected life. A single turning could easily cut the life expectancy in half.
    If the pulsation described in the original post was due to a manufacturing or workmanship error, and not to accident/misuse/alteration, and does not pertain to maintenance items (wheel alignment and balancing is considered routine maintenance after 7,500 miles, replacement of brake pads/linings are maintenance), then per the dealership's diagnosis this concern may be under warranty.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • anonymous17anonymous17 Member Posts: 4
    This is definitely not a warranty issue as the problem only occurred about 2k miles ago with about 20k miles on the vehicle. I suspect the previous (non-GM) service provider did not torque my lug nuts appropriately. So I cannot reasonably assert it as a warranty issue. The rotor does not wiggle at all when i try to remove it. It seems to be stuck big time.
    edited January 2012
    The mileage on your vehicle is not relevant provided it's under 50,000. A problem with warped rotors would be covered at 49,000 if that's when it starts occurring.

If a non-GM service provider damaged your rotors by leaving lug nuts loose? That would not be covered under warranty. The previous service provider would be liable.

Now, take the car in to a Buick dealer and explain the problem. This is a 2 year old car and you're not sure what happened. It is under full warranty and as GM CS explained, you are still covered since this is not a maintenance item.
    Buick LaCrosse sales for 2011 was a mixed bag. Although sales increased in December 2011 by 4.3% (5,360 Vs 5,140 units) sales for the year as a whole dropped by 4.4% (58,474 units in 2011 Vs 61,178 in units in 2010).

Not sure who is stealing LaCrosse's sales but the Cadillac CTS sales were up 20.6% for 2011, 55,042 Vs 45,656 units in 2010. Perhaps consumers are finding the CTS a better value or simply the LaCrosse has peaked in popularity.
    See Full details at http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/77886-sales-december-2011-general-motors/
    Its usually natural for a model that is aging to decline in sales. If they do a redesign/refresh it should bump up the #s a bit.

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    The big question is how the sales are going to be for 2012, with e-assist and the 303 hp version of the 6. That could be a make or break for this model before the midlife refresh.
    thanks for the correction. I got lost in all the complaints and got confused. Why was he posting all that on the lacrosse board - just to bash GM?
    FYI, yes and yes. GM bought back both a 09 Malibu LT2 and the 11 Lacrosse CXS.
    Both were nightmares with the number of problems. Both also had serious safety issues.
    For example, the Malibu was very unstable on the road, like some others experienced. It also had a flaw in the electric power steering with which it would about every thousand miles try to drive you off the road to the right. The power steering would apply maximum force to the right felt at the wheel, something I could barely contain with both hands on the wheel. Another issue which occurred three times was with the braking system. It felt like a sticking caliper, but could very easily have had something in the tied systems. I.E. the anti-lock brake module which accepts inputs from ABS, ESC, & TC. Sadly, GM has a history of problems in that area and depending upon your VIN, you may or may not have gotten the fix. That is, the Malibu I had was missing the parts that the recall added, yet not in the applicable VIN numbers. So if the function of those systems is included, then I had at least four failures.
    The BUICK, well it also had what seemed to be a sticking caliper three times. Fortunately all the times with it allowed a long roll out, unlike the Malibu where I ended up in the intersection before I could get it stopped. Also the tires that came on the Buick should never be used as they were disgracefully bad at handling any snow. And play was introduced to the steering when the dealer replaced the column for a different issue. Play that could shoot across the line before you could correct. Besides the myriad of other issues, the final straw was when the GM rep said he did not see anything wrong with the SBZA when it would not detect a vehicle unless it was plus or minus 3 feet of your rear bumper and other other dead spots.
    Safety issues are king to me. FYI, I have not yet bought a replacement vehicle. I have been rattled to the core with those experiences and obviously the chance of it happening again have been greatly amplified. That is, can any of you say similar problems happened with two purchases in a row? I sure as hell don't want number three.
    I have considered an older vehicle hoping all the problems don't exist, but if safety is an issue, then you have to go with newer. I have been considering looking at foreign names now.
    I still wish you all the best experience. As usual, I will hang around groups just to give input when necessary.
    GM bought back both a 09 Malibu LT2 and the 11 Lacrosse CXS.
    Both were nightmares with the number of problems. Both also had serious safety issues.

Seems like there is much more to these stories. If both cars in your scenarios were defective as claimed, then why didn’t you accept a replacement? To the casual observer it would appear that you are an impossible person to please and nothing that GM did would suffice. I have both a Malibu and a CXS and I have not come close to experiencing the problems you enumerated in your many posts. If you are still in the market for a dependable sedan let me recommend the Toyota Avalon Limited.

Bon Chance
    edited January 2012
    BWIA: The complaints went on forever and really covered the waterfront. My take was that rider is a retired GM engineer/ employee with an ax to grind - which I fully identify with in the current world of Corporate Exec. Greed that frequently resulted in shutdowns for tax purposes, layoffs for execs bonuses, pension plan raiding schemes and other employee morale busting practices.
    I also feel GM and other car makers are making a real effort to make better cars and they are truly safer, less error prone in design and much easier to maintain. The problems pointed out in certain posts FAR EXCEEDED anything in the realm of real problems in one person's opinion only.
  • dcthorpedcthorpe Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone seen or heard an actual date for when Intellilink will be available in the 2012 LaCrosse? It is now early 2012 my local dealers don't have any dates or time frame to give customers. Help I need to make a purchase.
    Well, I drove a couple of used Lincoln MKS yesterday. Its ride is much like the big Town Car, maybe a bit mushier in an attempt to reproduce that ride in a smaller and lighter vehicle. The first one had the same tires as the Touring package. They seemed much quieter on the MKS and surprisingly still round despite they were about worn out. The noise path was definitely different because of the better sound deadening in the MKS. And, BTW I now wear hearing aids and hear things I previously would not have. That leaves the sound level of the CXS to my imagination of how bad it actually is, especially with the GY 19". Notably, the CXS and CXL with Michelin are quieter but not as well controlled without the Touring Package. As to the feel of the control, I'd put the non-touring about halfway between those with the package and the MKS.
    It was definitely peppy enough when I put foot in but opportunities were limited so I did not get to check a lot of ranges where you might call for the jet pack.
    But now my main reason for posting this. I moved on to my second test drive, Michelins. Perhaps a tiny bit mushier but much better at absorbing those big bumps. And unlike the previous where I only heard the motor when I put some foot in it, I could hear the low purr in this one at any constant speed.
    GM, wake up. Stop using those horrible GY tires on your upscale autos. Sure there are GY fans, but make that an option for them. Even Chrysler got smart enough to put Michelin and Continental on the 300's.
  • fedupwithgm3fedupwithgm3 Member Posts: 3
    What was finally done to resolve your "Service AWD/Service Rear Axle" messages? I have a 2012 Lacrosse AWD and have the same problems. After five trips to the dealer, they now plan to replace the entire rear end. This lemon has more hours at the dealer's shop than it has on the highway.

I've never experienced this much frustration with a any car, much less a brand new one. GM Support isn't helping much at this point.
    I'm sorry to hear that your 2012 is resulting in so much frustration! I see you're working with GM Support - do you have a case open? As my coworker Christina responds to our emails, I am not sure if you have worked with us in getting this started. We'd be happy to get you any updates on your Service Request if you were to share the number with us.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • 6600madison6600madison Member Posts: 1
    My 2011 Lacrosse has a horrible vibration as well, so much so that my pants dance around by legs. It has been rebalanced 3 times, road force balanced once, and had the tires replaced at 6000 miles to no avail. The vibration is so noticeable that I cannot enjoy anything about this car. The other car in the household is a 2011 Hyundai Sonata which has a superior ride to this Buick. The GMC Acadia which was given to me as a loaner while mine was in the shop has a far superior ride as well. I am so ashamed that I decided to give GM another try after 20 years with Toyota. I can't believe Buick has made the Lacrosse a flagship car. What a joke. Never will I ever own another GM and I will continue to write and tell everyone what a horrible car this is.
    Just to be fair, have you read the reports by me and other very satisfied owners of the 2011 LaCrosse that include praising the ride experience we have had? I'm sorry you have had problems with your ride. I would think if it is as horrible as you report, GM/Buick would find a means to correct the problem or make you a happy camper otherwise. There are warranty solutions. I'm sure GM Customer Service will pipe in here to get your history. Let's see if they can help you out. My CXS is by no means a "horrible car".
    It has been rebalanced 3 times, road force balanced once, and had the tires replaced at 6000 miles to no avail.

There are many, many things that can cause vibrations other than the tires. I would get a regional rep involved to help figure it out. You could have a bad CV joint, and torque converter issue, bad strut, etc. I am sure they will figure it out if you are persistent enough.

Yes it is a pain the rear, but unfortunately it does happen. I wish you the best.