Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• 2003help2003help Member Posts: 23
    Just bought a '03 4WD 4Runner a month ago.
    Is there a Brighter DOT approved bulb for the stock 4Runner bulb? The stock in the car now looks to be Sylvania.
    Does Sylvania make a brighter bulb?
    Toyota wants me to put in PIAA bulbs for an upgrade.
    Here talk about heat, cost and bulb life.
    Does a DOT approved upgrade in bulb make that big a difference, off road and city driving?
    Anyone changed headlight bulbs for a really great improvement?
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    A supercharger cannot be turned off, and it does reduce fuel economy and it absolutely requires premium octane fuel, no questions asked. Of course it also is as sweet as it is useless.
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    Karl,

Interesting that the figures are about the same. Wonder why your Runner apparently doesn't shift into 3rd as much on hills as mine does. The tranny is supposed to be capable of learning--maybe I haven't taught it right.

So, what kind of mileage do you get when you tow the 4Runner with the Porsche (;>?
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    >So, what kind of mileage do you get when you tow >the 4Runner with the Porsche (;>?

Hmm, what a thought! I dunno where I'd find a Class IV hitch for an old 911, but it might be fun to try. Betcha it'd do lots worse than the 4Runner as a tow vehicle :-).

Are you sure your 'Runner is downshifting to third? Remember, that's a 5-speed tranny. With mine, the typical first action when the speed begins to fall is for the tranny to unlock the torque converter (rpm rises 3-400), then downshift to 4th (rpm rises an additional 4-500)if still more is needed. The only time I can remember a downshift from 5th to third was when
    I was in the mountains in Pennsylvania and started up a very steep grade.

-Karl
  • 714cut714cut Member Posts: 355
    Stay away from PIAA. They are overpriced and in many cases put out less light. Beware of colored (blue) bulbs-the coating actually reduces light output. The best bulbs available are Philips Vision Plus, unfortunately they do not come in our sizes. Next best bet is Philips premium. Anything else is "whiter or bluer" but not more light on the road. I think the best bet is a good set of auxilliary driving lights. The best lighting site with the most knowledgeable people I've come across is
    http://www.lighting.philips.com/forum/forum_6/wwwforum.cgi

Give it a try to look at a lot of the technical stuff. Very interesting.
  • tfuzztfuzz Member Posts: 93
    Now I'm not sure which gear it downshifts to. However, I think it is 3rd. If I have it in 4th (OD off) it accelerates strongly when it drops down--frequently just before the crest of a hill. I haven't identified the feel of the torque converter locking and unlocking. I'll pay more attention next time I am out.

I should point out that this is a relatively minor complaint. Other cars do this too, including my dad's Town Car, and I expect it to downshift more often when towning. I had just hoped that the V8 in the runner would be less inclined to do it. My perception is that at slower speeds on mountain roads the Runner doesn't downshift as often and pulls the grades better than my previous vehicles. I also noticed that I can reduce the downshifting by leaving the cruise control off. All in all still a great tow vehicle.

By the way, I just got my recall notice for the air suspension, and included was a flyer offering a new ball mount attachment if the fit into the receiver is too tight. I probably won't take them up on that as mine works fine now.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    giving the current V-8 VVTi, I believe Toyota is developing a 5.4L V-8 for the big trucks for next year or the year after (whenever it is that the next Tundra comes out)...when that happens, I will bet 4Runner will get the same engine as the V-8 option, probably with more of a price and power differentiation (vs the V-6) than there is now, too. I wonder if they will make the V-8 standard on Tundra at the same time (no more V-6 base engine).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Thanks 714cut
    All the Information I can get is a step in the right direction.
  • mrshenry2002mrshenry2002 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know of a website where I can purchase the wireless headphones for the JBL in the 4runner limited ? The dealership wants over $60...hoping I can find some a little cheaper.
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Wow, yours is downshifting from 4th! I'm surprised. Mine rarely (once or twice in c. 2500 tow miles)has needed third, even in hilly country. You might try a tank of premium and see if yours behaves any differently.

If you're willing to feather the throttle when climbing hills, you can reduce the downshifting/torque converter unlocking to a bare minimum. However, I'm lazy and it would be nice to just set the cruise control and forget it.

I've not yet gotten the air suspension recall notice, and mine's a really early build (10/02). I'm beginning to wonder if they forgot me. Mine was delivered with the mis-manufactured ball mount, and they already replaced it.

-Karl
  • suvowner1suvowner1 Member Posts: 33
    what kind of headlight bulb/bulbs does the 03 4runner use ????
  • hiluxsurfhiluxsurf Member Posts: 34
    Rorr & Khaug,

Thanks for your insight on towing. I would think that the auto transporter/trailer from u-haul has brakes. Thanks again -mike
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    2003help: Go to Autozone (cheapest place I found) and check out the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. They run about $20 ea so it'd cost you about $80 to replace both the low and high beams (The 2003 4Runner uses 9006 / 9005 bulbs) They're rated at a 4000K (kelvin)color temperature (intensity) which is higher than the PIAA Superwhites (3800K) that cost about $70/pair and slightly less than the PIAA Extreme Whites (4150K) that typically run $80+/pair... For reference, typical halogen bulbs are 3200K and Sunlight is at 5400K. I've used the PIAAs in my old Envoy and they are definitely overpriced/overrated. Save your money.

I've been very happy w/ the silver stars and have them installed in both my 4Runner and the gf's Malibu... For more info on silver star bulbs see: http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

There's also a link to a review at rockcrawler.com on the sylvania site: http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/sylvania_silverstar/index.- - asp
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    No problem.....though to tell you the truth, I've forgotten what I said. I hope it was something profound....8^)
  • 4runtexas4runtexas Member Posts: 31
    went out to the car this morning, and started her up, i almost screamed! the noise from the squeeking engine came back, and it was worse than ever, for the first 2-3 days after i got it back from the dealer,who claimed it was "permanantly fixed" and didnt hear a thing, and then after about 5 days, i heard a very slight noise, and i payed little attention. this morning, it was back to the same engine noise that drove me crazy, and made me take it to the dealer.

i have no idea what theyre going to do (i gave them a call about an hour ago, they were on lunch, should be giving me a call soon), one thing i know for sure, i will not keep a car i payed 30,000 for that is not in working order! wether they replace my vehicle, which is what im pretty sure they may have to do, since their "fix" didn't work, or they wait and trade mine in for an '04, i have no idea, but we'll see

any body have any idea as to what i am gaurenteed as a customer? is it too much to ask that i want a vehicle that doesnt squeek like the dickens lol?
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Are to keep paying your payments and watch the dealership snicker when you pull into the service department.

Honestly, your only hope is lemon law, and unless you can prove that it is a HUGE defect that endangers your safety or function of your car, you either take the loss and trade or keep it and turn up the stereo. It all depends on the state you live in.

Honestly, a squeak isn't anything but an annoyance so the best you can hope for is getting in touch with your Toyota dealer's customer service rep and telling him/her what the problem is. From there they will work with the technicians to fix your issue.

Trust me, I have an A4 that is constantly making noises or breaking...and you either live with it or hope it blows up.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Unless it's indeed a lemon, and your state has a law which protects lemon buyers, you are royally screwed. For the first three years, your dealer will have his pockets fattened by the manufacturer, who pays for warranty repairs, and then it will be you. Yes, even Toyota makes lemons. All it takes is for some dude on the assembly line to sneeze when welding, and voila, you get a lemon.
    spoke to my dealer this afternoon, they told me they would begin a process to get me in a new vehicle, (could take up to 40 days) the only reason for this is that when i picked up the vehicle from the shop the second time, i signed a receipt along with the manager and service manager at my dealer stating my vehicle was FIXED.
    and since we were gaurenteed our vehicle would never squeek again, the manager at my dealer told me to bring in a problem/request sheet which will go straight to the GM of toyota motors. they told me they would begin that process ofplacing me inside a new vehicle becuase of the contract.
    (in my opinion, its becuase i have a signature from them, and proof they lied, so i think theyd rather lose money and give me a new car than have their butts taken to court :) thank goodness for that contract!
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I am sorry to hear about your problems.
     Was the "it's fixed" contract your idea or the dealers service departments idea ?
    I think "lied" is not truly accurate. They must have believed it was fixed or they would not have signed the contract. You have the use of your noisy 4runner for 40 days. You may end up with an 04. I suggest that if you have the 6 ask them if you can please have the new one in the V-8.
    Offer to pay the difference.
  • tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Yes, I'd imagine with their "guarantee" in writing and signed with it specifically stating which defect will be repaired upon return, they'd lose much less just putting you into a new 4Runner than fighting it in court and paying for arbitration.

I have been searching for an SR5 V8 4x4 with AP package and few options...no sunroof...no JBL...and it's been a bugger trying to find one! All the V8's seem to be LOADED around here. (DC)
    I've looked at the biggies (Koons, 355, ...) but they don't really have what I'm looking for. Can we expect more shipments in the near future? How about the 04's? Aren't those coming in Sept/Oct?
  • rockyballrockyball Member Posts: 22
    What did they do to try to fix problem? A friend of mine had same noise and after many returns to the dealer and after notifying Toyota that she was going to pursue GA lemon law, they came up with a "final fix" using shims behind the pulleys. She has had the car back for about a week and no noise.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    Try Fitzmall.com They have a place in MD.
    the dealer in my area was very very helpful, before i even mentioned wanting a new vehicle they stated they would be speaking with "the big boys" at toyota about our contract and a new vehicle, i was very happy with them, the thing is im not trying to get anything free, i simply want a 4runner that doesnt squeek!

perhaps they may throw in a couple small options, but i told them specifically, " i wont accept a new vehicle with less options than my previous one"...(moonroof, foglights, running boards, double decker, sport edition seats, roof rack, alloy wheels) i would be willing to pay for 4x4 or V8...i should be speaking with my dealer today when i drop off the request for my new vehicle
    Hey bryancos thanks for the tip.
    AutoZone is the place 19.95.
    The clean light from the bulb is nice.
    There is also a rebate of 10.00 from Sylvania when you buy 2. One per household. So my neighbor bought a set.
    Saved 20 bucks on the 80 invested.
    Offer expires 6/30/03 though.
    Nothing like saving 25% in the auto game.
    www.sylvania.com/auto/pdfs/coupon.pdf
  • 4skinner4skinner Member Posts: 8
    I have Hella H4 replacement headlight bulbs installed on my 98. You can find for as low as $7 each. They also come in wattages ranging from 55L/60H, up to 100/110. I run 80W Low beams/110W Highbeams. These throw as good a beam as any non LED set up and are great for driving.
  • gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone with the V6 had extremely loud clicking coming from the engine, possibly the injectors? Also, when I put motor under load, accelerate from a standing start for example, I hear what sounds like an exhaust manifold leak, or even valve train noise. With the windows open, this is very loud and annoying. Car has 200 miles on it and I don't remember it making this sound during test drive. I have had a tech listen to it and they say there is nothing that can be done at this time...great. Anybody? I guess I need to listen to another V6 on the lot and see. If anyone had this problem fixed, PLEASE respond, thanks!
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    My 2003 V6 4Runner also makes a ticking/clicking noise under acceleration. I can only hear it with the windows open. If I drive by something that reflects the sound it is very noticeable. I've been told that the variable valve timing engines tend to produce ticking noises. The engine works fine, pulls hard and is excellent in every other way - it just sounds like a 20 year-old 4 cylinder. Someday, I want to get a friend drive my 4Runner and I'll drive next to it in a parking lot and see if it really sounds that bad from the outside. I've tried to listen to other new 4Runner's and they didn't seem to sound bad as they are driving by.

Perhaps your noise is different. In mine, it isn't bad enough to really even ask the dealer. Different engines sound different to different people.
  • ddw5ddw5 Member Posts: 23
    Had the same problems with my v6 sport. The belt squeak was fixed by replacing the auto-belt tensioner. It hasn't come back 2 months later. I had/have the ticking noise. Was initially convinced it was the exhaust manifold and took it in for that. Am convinced it is the injectors firing and I really don't notice it anymore. That aside, I am more pleased with the truck every day.
    So much fun owning this '03 4X4 V-6 4Runner.
    About four weeks ago it was the squeaky belt,auto tentioner deal. Dealer changed belt, sound went away for a week , then it came back. Went to different dealer told me nothing could be done at this time, but the all mighty Toyota is aware of the problem. Drove it for another week and the squeaky belt, auto tentioner deal just went away Don't know why it's just gone But I now have a rear passenger side body flex creaking noise. It's noticable at slow speed backing in and out of the driveway. Can anyone help with that?
    This week while driving on the freeway with my moon roof open I noticed when the truck reached 55mph the Moonroof motor would get an impulse of slight motor engagement, as if it was going to close. I also noticed as I reduce my speed to 45 mph It would do it again. And this happens every time at these speeds. It's like it engages at 55 and disengages at 45. Any help on this electronic beauty?
    Because as of Monday it's "Hi Ho, Hi Ho off to the Service Department go". Only 1500 mile in 5 Weeks and this will be trip #5 to Warranty Service.
  • iceman50iceman50 Member Posts: 20
    "2003help"

This is normal for the moonroof as the wind deflector is speed sensitive. It is not the moonroof closing, it is the wind deflector moving. At about 55MPH you will see that it retracts slightly, and as you lower your speed, it rises.

Also, I have had no problems with my 4Runner, no squeaks, no smells, no issues; although I do have the V8. Gas mileage has continued to increase from 15 mpg originally, to almost 19 mpg currently at 7000 miles.
  • azrunnerazrunner Member Posts: 16
    Just returned from a 4000 road trip around the southwest: AZ, Alburqurque, Denver, Durango, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Idaho Falls, Butte, MT. and have experienced a lot of what I read in this forum.

Gas mileage is good under 70mph and terrible above. Though the V8 power is a nice trade off especially when passing....anyone ever driven the life- threatening stretch from Page to Flagstaff, AZ? V8 power is a life saver!

Put a Load Warrior Yakima roof rack on mounted directly to factory rack - no need for any other Yakima hardware. Even mounted a bike rack on the Load Warrior. Gas mileage decreased 1-2 mph (again worse at high speeds.)

Noticed the moonroof noise describe above - thanks for the info!!

Carried 3 little kids and 2 adults. Everyone was comfy.

Sulphur smell. Well, it is definitely a "characteristic" of this vehicle made worse by certain fuels. I would NEVER fill my tank in Phoenix, AZ!!! All the little gas stations along the way in NM, CO, UT, ID and MT seem to have good smelling fuel.

Safe. We passed some tragic road scenes. One in which another vehicle hydroplaned off the road and flipped. The 4runner kept plugging away!!

Running boards - very useful for top loading!!

Clean up after the trip - quite good. Only left with a red grape stain on back carpet and tar on cladding. Any good ideas on keeping cladding clean? Been using an Armor All Vinyl cleaner/protectant (not reg. Armor Al).

Oh yeah - the cargo nets that come with vehicle are excellent to keep gear from falling out the back when door is opened! Double decker cargo thing - useless. Always kept down.

Cargo area is ample. Had to pick up a mounted mule deer head on the way home. Remarkedly, it fit right on top of our luggage. No...it was NOT a little spike :)

Thanks for all the help in this forum - I read it weekly to keep on top of what is "normal" and what is not in my 4runner.

BTW - Great vehicle. I have a silver sport...maybe you have seen us on the road!!
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Hi,
    Just read through most of the posts in this forum - hoping for some information on my 4Runner. I just bought a 2000 SR5 4WD with 35K miles on it. Very clean. No problems with this vehicle (yet). This is my first 4WD and my first SUV. Traded in my 2000 Accord on the 4Runner. I needed something to haul stuff. I spent alot of time investigating the 4WD mechanical stuff. I didn't want to screw it up. I'll bet it is expensive to fix.

My 4Runner seems to run better with Premium gas. Anyone find this to be true with their vehicle? Might just be my imagination...

Since I didn't buy a 2003, just thought I'd mention from an objective standpoint that the cladded 2003 4Runners certainly do look different, but only different, not bad. I wish I had known about getting a good deal on the cladded 2003 earlier, I might have been able to add just a few thousand $ to the price of my 2000 4Runner and got a new one with the cladding. Maybe still too much for my budget though.

Anyway, thanks for the information in this forum. I will lurk and read what is updated in the future. I will probably be in the market for a 2006 or 7 4Runner in a few years. :)
    Thanx iceman50
    Now it's only the body flex noise they need to address on Monday
  • trdsctwotrdsctwo Member Posts: 67
    Is the grey cladding gone forever?? Can I assume that if I were to buy a 2004 SR5 that I would not have to accept the grey cladding as a
    base model? Or is, as I suspect, the Monochromatic SR5 a permanent
    added cost option from now on and the grey-cladded wonder will continue to occupy the base model spot in the 4-Runner lineup??
  • jagsdadjagsdad Member Posts: 56
    trdsctwo: Yes, I'm pretty sure the cladding is gone. It appears that sometime in May Toyota stopped delivering anything to dealers with cladding. The price of the vehicles went up a bit, but the new vehicles did not have a "option" charge for the monochromatic paint, or for the aluminium wheels anymore. In effect, the price of the new vehicles went down. I guy who knows also told me that the cladding is gone for '04.
  • so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    well i took delivery of a 2003 SR5 V-6 today and have had a number of 4Runners previously with great results. during the test drive i noted some rattling noise from behind me and wrongly assumed it was the tow pkg accessory box, cargo cover or floor mats that were all piled in the back waiting for the new owner.

WRONG. i drove it home after purchasing it and found that the rattle was still there and that it is also annoying and obnoxious. when i press tight on the headliner upwardly, it goes away - it also diminishes somewhat with the sunroof fully open. a brand new vehicle with 50 miles on it now with a bunch of rattles in the headliner?!? whatever happened to quality control at the factory and test driving it there before releasing it to be sold?

I am calling the dealer tomorrow and after reading over this forum have seen now that my expectations that the 2003 4Runners would be as solidly built as ever are due for a rude awakening. even if they can fix it, should consumers buying a new vehicle have to hassle with going to the dealer and hoping they will be able to fix something that shouldn't have even been happening to begin with? it kind of ruins the new car buying experience!

my question is this: i noticed a lot of other posts about the sunroof and headliner rattle issue - so - did anyone get theirs fixed? how was it fixed? is there a technical service bulletin on fixing it? surely not everyone is just living with this, are you?! it is UNACCEPTABLE on a new vehicle in this price range!

please give me follow-ups on how you got this fixed if you were able to!
    just spoke with three different dealer service departments on the phone and none of them claim to have heard or seen any 2003 headliner rattle problems - one did say that rattles are relatively easy to fix and not to worry about it, while another said he would look to see if there have been any recalls or tsbs and then called back and said he found none.

so perhaps it's not a design defect? has anyone who mentioned having the problem here found that it cannot be fixed? i am taking this back this morning to the dealer where i purchased it and will see if they can fix it and if they are able to i will try and determine how.
  • olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    If you search this forum you'll find a number of posts about the rattling moonroof. I can't imagine that those dealers haven't heard about it, too. I've had my V8 LTD since October and it's rattled since then. There seems to be a flaw in the new moonroof design. The field engineer from Toyota is going to be here (central NC) in a few weeks to look at it (and hopefully FIX it.) No excuse for this in a vehicle that costs 40 large.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    azrunner, you said the cargo net keeps things from falling out of the back when opening the rear door. How? The instructions I got with the net (poor instructions) just show that the net lays flat on the floor, attached at the corners. I guess you're just supposed to slide small things under it. It seemed pretty useless so I've never used it. Am I doing something wrong?
    i noticed the posts about the problem but saw no follow-up posts as to it being fixed.

your post is not encouraging. i am going to call toyota headquarters and see if they will admit to hearing of any widespread problems.

i would hope that if enough people have the problem they are reporting it and not just accepting it as being too minor to care about.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    The cargo net has a top and bottom point of attachment on both sides, very near the rear cargo door opening.
     I know this doesn't help, but my moon roof doesn't make any rattles, open or closed. I don't even have the wind deflector noise like it's opening and closing at any speed. I have not been much over 70, though.
    Well i called the Toyota customer service center in Torrance at 800 331-4331 and they were incredibly helpful! Turns out there are TWO Technical Service Bulletins for the sunroof / headliner rattle problem:

TSB# NV003-03
    TSB# NV011-02

one of them apparently involves the installation of a noise kit, some clamps and greasing some parts and both are less than one hour fixes.

i am feeling better about this!
  • azrunnerazrunner Member Posts: 16
    bmw323is...I too had difficulty figuring out cargo net instructions.

There should be 2 nets. One does indeed go flat, but the other is vertical across the back and affords a handy pocket for small items. It attaches to two molded hooks at the rear of vehicle. There are two sets of hooks one closer to rear hatch. At first it was odd, but now I am used to keeping it up and easily unattaching to load large objects!

Headliner noise. Is different than moonroof noise? My moonroof does not make noise, but if the back windows are down the headliner makes a LOUD beating noise that even hurts my ears. Seems to be a vacuum sort of deal.
  • ltc9024ltc9024 Member Posts: 11
    If the "noise" you are hearing occurs just when the backwindows are down, this is normal. It is nothing rattling but just the air that is rushing in causing it. Most vehicles will do it. It only seems to occur ONLY when the back windows alone are down.
    I am sure someone who knows physics could tell you exactly what causes it. My girlfriends 02 Acura does it and all vehicles I have owned.
    the headliner noise is a rattle that occurs when you go over even tiny bumps. as i mentioned before if i press upward on the headliner near the sunroof area it stops the rattle.

on a smooth road it doesn't happen but just going over freeway lane bumps produces the noise. it's annoying but hopefully following the TSBs will fix it. I have mine at the dealership now being worked on so i will report back later.

otherwise i pretty much love this. i got black with the gray cladding and taupe interior. i went back and forth with the engines and opted for the new 6 and the ten more horsepower and better gas mileage. i know the torque is a bit less but i'm very pleased with the 6 so far.
    my toyota dealer fixed my moonroof noise in about 3 hours, they did however, have to take out the entire moonroof and replace it piece by piece, as there were screws and bolts that were not tightened enough, and there were parts that needed to be re greased, the moonroof is not a serious problem, and can be fixed easily (at the right dealer)

however, the engine noise, IS a big problem...
    as far as safety is concerned, there is no chance of the engine blowing up or getting over heated (god forbid)
    It is a manufacturer flaw, and can not be fixed, simple as that. some 4runners have the noise worse than others, some don't have a noise at all. luckily, my toyota dealer was very very helpful, as I am looking to be seated in a new vehicle within the next month or so. for the rest of you, my advice would be complain to you're dealer, and simply say you are not satisfied, if toyota sticks true to their word, and they care enough about customer satisfaction as they say, they should be willing to look into a solution with you. I have been to my dealer 3 times for the same problem, and each time, there was no fix, and my dealer was very honest with me and told me that they were as unsatisfied as I was, and told me that a new vehicle was the only solution, before I even mentioned getting a different 4runner. also, on a personal note, I think from now on, every time a vehicle is re designed (i. e.- the 4runner) I will wait until the following year of the new body style is produced, that way they can fix these annoyances and repair any problems with the vehicle
    hopefully my roof gets fixed too.

i went back and read all your posts and see that you have the 6 cylinder too. could you please describe the problem in more detail - what exactly do you mean by squeaking, when did it start happening and what has the dealer and toyota done along the way? what is the date of manufacture for your vehicle as shown on the door jamb plate?

i know you've somewhat covered this previously in different posts but if you could give a brief summation of all this again in one post it might be helpful to new readers, owners and potential buyers.
  • grizbear1grizbear1 Member Posts: 4
    Would any of you folks have an idea when the 2004 4Runner will be available? I have a lease that will terminate Sept./Oct. time frame and would like to know if the '04 will be out by then.
    dealer says they did all the TSBs and they still hear a rattle. they are ordering a new glass panel for the moonroof because the current one has a pinch in the rubber gasket that surrounds it, which they believe is contributing to or causing the problem. this will take three days to get but they are hoping popping in the new glass will fix the problem.
  • stillookinstillookin Member Posts: 6
    Sovang, what did you ever find out about the loose plastic strips on your roof (2003 4 Runner)?...mine are loose between the roof rack and the windshield on both sides...the dealer said they just can't 'glue' them back down but have to take the roof rack off and remove the strips all the way down the sides of the windshield to replace the whole thing...I am a bit worried they (the repair person)will make things worse (i.e. new vehicle to dealer and thus they may not get windshield or roof rack back on right. The maintenance manager also said they haven't had to fix these before)...is this what they had to do to fix yours? I discovered this upon delivery along with a few other items..whatever happened to quality control?