Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
AutoWeek.com has oictures of the 2010 Buick LaCrosse. it looks like a winner.

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    AutoWeek.com has photos of the 2010 Buick LaCrosse. It looks like a winner. What do you think?
  • hitman1970hitman1970 Member Posts: 33
    It lives up to the hype of the Invicta concept, which is a good thing. Maybe now tha Buick will have more than one great product, their image will improve. Here's hoping.
  • it looks like they did this car right...it should be able to compete with the Lexus ES350 and more than hold its own. in fact, it may give the Lincoln MKS a run even though they are supposed to be in different classes.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    I like it but will have to wait to see the pricing before commenting further. Any guesses as to a base price? Loaded price? Here's mine:

Base: $28,900

Loaded: $36,000.
  • BentJayBentJay Member Posts: 4
    Weird but, when we wanted to replace our awd Chrysler minivan we found that they didn't make one anymore. My wife actually went to the auto show with me and LOVED the Enclave concept. We ordered one in February 2007 straight from the auto show and now have +15K miles on it. I never thought we'd own a Buick. Now this: another Buick that looks like a winner. ~28 mpg, awd, great exterior/interior for +/-$30K. The Enclave has the full zoot OnStar which takes the place of nav, bluetooth, etc. and is a killer app. I want to buy another GM vehicle! Weird, as I wrote! Maybe I should buy some GM stock at $5?!?
  • georgehughes35georgehughes35 Member Posts: 25
    Test drove the Enclave in September and really liked it. Just not in my price range new. I also test drove 08 Lucerne but not the 08 Lacrosse. It was OK but I did not love the driving feel. If they had a sedan in my price range that was more responsive on the road, maintained the high build quality and interior materials I know Buick can manage I would be very interested. Now can they do it at a price I can afford is yet another question but I will give it a drive if we are still in the market when it arrives.
  • higgledyhiggledy Member Posts: 28
    Is the new LaCrosse built on a larger chassis than the current Malibu? Because, IMO, the Malibu is a nice car but it needs to be a little larger.
  • The Malibu is already pretty big. They did not carve out as much interior space as the length and wheelbase would lead one to expect. The LaCrosse is on an updated platform from the Malibu, and likely will make better use of space. If you need a bigger car, consider the 2010 Taurus.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    LaCross is based on new Opel Insignia. Therefore it has shorter wheelbase but it is wider than Vectra/Malibu,Aura.
    I saw the 2010 LaCrosse at an Auto Show on Saturday and it's very similar to the new Malibu in overall size. I had an '04 Malibu with 117 cu.ft. of interior volume and the new 'Bu is notably smaller at 113 cu.ft.

The current LaCrosse at 116 cu.ft. is nice size car. Losing 3-4 cu.ft. would put it at the lower end of mid-size and a bit too small for my tastes.

That said, the new LaCrosse is a knock-out inside and out. A gorgeous car! It will be tough to find one under $30K though and that's a lot of change in this economy. :(
  • 1bythesea1bythesea Member Posts: 52
    Your guess is close to what I'm thinking. It has 3 trims and I was thinking the base around $30K, mid level CXS without AWD around $33K, and the top around $36-$38K (no AWD on this level, weird huh) If it's actually lower so much the better.

I was also checking the dimensions comparing it to the Acura TSX, TL, and Lexus ES. Size wise it's closer to the TL. If pricing is between $30-$40K the LaCrosse would compete pretty closely with the Acura's and the Lexus ES.

I'll be giving it a hard look when it hits the dealers this summer.
  • bobnisbobnis Member Posts: 3
    You have to wonder what GM is thinking by not offering the AWD on the 280 hp CXS. The G37X and TL both have over 300 hp. If one wants the AWD on the new LaCrosse, GM offers only the 255 hp engine. Maybe they want us to consider the new Taurus SHO for another awd option.

I saw the 2010 LaCrosse at the Philadelphia car show. The technology, lines, fit and finish, and ergonomics are all right there. Configure it with a more powerful engine and voila, the 40's year olds will consider it. Right now, the average age of a Buick buyer is 63. Is GM afraid a 300 hp engine would take sales from a Cadillac? For me, I want a car which says understated elegance, so a CTS with a 50K price tag willl not be in my driveway, whereas a 35K LaCross just might be.
    You have to wonder what GM is thinking by not offering the AWD on the 280 hp CXS.

Although I don't have inside information, this often is related to transaxle/driveline components not being designed to deal with the HP. Not offering AWD with the top engine is curious and if GM is around in 18 months, I'm sure that will be corrected on the 2011 model.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The 2010 Buick LaCrosse, unveiled earlier this year at the Detroit auto show, will have a starting price of $27,835, General Motors has announced. The entry-level CX model features front-wheel-drive and a 255 horsepower motor. The CXL, which features a leather interior and more luxury features, is slightly more expensive at $30,395. All-wheel-drive is a $2,175 option. The range-topping CXS features AWD standard, plus a more powerful 280 hp V6.

Buick is clearly stepping up its game when it comes to exterior design — and we hope driving dynamics and interior quality will be equally improved. The sedan is expected to be sold in the United States and China, and was developed with both markets in mind.

In addition to replacing the current Lacrosse, the 2010 model will also fill the Lucerne’s shoes after its eventual discontinuation. The company is hoping the redesigned Lacrosse will kick-start sales for Buick. Although buyers snatched up 150,744 LeSabres – the Lucerne’s predecessor – in 1997, Buick’s current flagship sedan has only managed to entice 50,799 buyers through the first 11 months of 2008. With the new Lacrosse expected to take over that role of two previous models, GM is targeting higher volume than in recent years.

In terms of exterior design, the Lacrosse builds on the theme established by the Enclave crossover. Buick has relocated its signature portholes from the front fender to the hood — a seemingly more functional location. Most of the other details follow Buick’s latest design language, including the ‘waterfall’ grille and smooth sculpted surfaces.

The Invicta show car’s cabin was not toned down at all for production, which is great news considering interiors have been a weak point for GM up until recently. Similar to what we saw recently with the redesigned Chevrolet Equinox, the LaCrosse continues GM’s new twin-pod gauge design.

The 2010 LaCrosse will be offered in three models - CX, CXL and CXS. The CX will be equipped with a new 3.0-liter direct injection V6, premium cloth seats and 17-inch wheels. The engine generates an estimated 255 horsepower and 211 pound-feet of torque and is mated to a six-speed automatic.

The CXL variant is equipped with the same motor, but adds leather-appointed heated seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, fog lamps, outside rearview mirror with LED turn indicators and puddle lamps, and 18-inch wheels. AWD is available.

Lastly, the CXS comes with a more powerful 3.6-liter direct injection V6, real-time active-dampening suspension, perforated leather heated and cooled seats, and chrome-plated 18-inch wheels (19-inch optional). The motor, mated to a six-speed automatic, generates an estimated 280 horsepower and 261 pound-feet of torque.

Codenamed GMX353, the new LaCrosse is the first car in the United States to ride on the new global front-wheel drive Epsilon II platform. The new Buick will be assembled at GM’s Fairfax facility starting in February. The LaCrosse should hit dealer showrooms in mid-2009 as a 2010 model. LaCrosse annual production is expected to be in the 65,000 to 75,000 range
    It is interesting. It is cheaper than Acura TL and Lincoln MKZ but more expensive than Camcords, Fulans and Aurbus. The car exactly in the price range I am looking in. I hope that unlike Saturn Aura they did it right and steering it good, no cheap matirials in cabin and etc.

What is 3.0L engine? I hope it is not a typical pushrod from GM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olWcOxRmvTM

I think the LaCrosse will destroy Acura TL and TSX, LaCrosse has much nicer exterior design and very good interior as well. Acura is ugly.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Here's another link. Luscious looking. Will bring me into the showroom for sure....

http://www.buick.com/pages/mds/vehicles/futurelanding.do
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    The last Buick I had was a1978 turbo Regal Coup. Main bearing went out at 12,400 miles (12,000 mile warranty back then) & GM refused to do a single thing to cover the cost of the repair. I swore I'd never buy another GM product, and I haven't; but the 10 Lacrosse just might bring me back. I like what I see so well that I"m holding off on replacing my 06 Avalon till I can see the Lacrosse this summer.

So far the only negatives I see in the car are the weight & gas mileage. A 4,000 lb intermediate that gets 26-27 mpg is definitely not competitive in today's world.
  • photoprophotopro Member Posts: 1
    How reliable is your info Mitch? I am very interested in the 2010 Lacrosse. Thanks
    Wow, 4000 lbs is pretty heavy . . I guess it is the same size as a BMW 5 series.
    Boy! Sounds like the base CXL will be a couple of grand less than I thought. It's really getting enticing! Can't wait until it hits the stealerships. Has anyone ever used the credit union discount when buying a GM vehicle? Just curios if it's worth it or if the stealerships jerk you around with it.

Personally, I don't mind the weight. Seems it would be safer in a collision. My RDX weighs in at approximately 3950 lbs. and it feels very safe on the road. If the LaCrosse would get 26-27 mpg/hwy that would be a bit better than my current mpg and would be welcome.

I love everything about the looks of the new LaCrosse. And yes, it beats the front of the Acura TL hands down. That parrot beak is U-G-L-Y!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "...beats the front of the Acura TL..."

It's not only the front, but the back and the sides too. To me, the '09 is the first ugly TL. As a current TL owner, the styling of the '09 would be a deal breaker for me. I prefer the '10 LaCrosse.
    Personally, I like the rear of the TL but the front is a deal breaker for me. Yes, I prefer the 2010 LaCrosse any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I was just watching videos of the 2010 LaCrosse and the Opel Insignia of which it is based. The Insignia won best new car of 2009 in Europe. It also comes in a wagon (Sport Tourer), similar to what Toyota has done with the Venza based on the Camry platform. Wonder if GM will be bringing it to America? Maybe 2011 or 2012? Guess a lot will depend on 2010 LaCrosse sales and the fate of GM in general.
    Most people don't know this, but Buick sells many more cars in China than they do in the USA.

I think the Chinese have a better sense of style than the Americans do, that is why they love the Buick there.
    Edmunds has posted prices for the 2010 Lacrosse & accessories. I had high hopes for this car; it would be my first American car since 1978. But, after looking at how GM has bundled their accessories it appears that the stupidity that put them in their present condition continues. Look at the equipment I don't want but have to buy to get the equipment I do want:

Navigation system
    Heads up display
    Ultrasonic Parking assist (I already bought the BU camera in another pkg)
    Folding Mirrors
    Heated steering wheel (Yeah, don't know how I can ever get along without this one here in the sunny south!)
    Entertainment system

I understand that packaging can reduce costs for the Mfr. & customer; but use at least a little common sense in what you put in the packages. What they've want is to force me to buy $2500 - $3000 of stuff that is worthless to me & won't get anything for come trade in time. No way Jose! I'll stay with the Asian cars I've driven with no problems for the last 31 years.
    What's wong with that? It is supposed to be luxury vehicle so it is loaded to the gills, it is not a Honda competitor (which is Chevrolet). Does not Acura use the same approach when bundling options?
    Buick Lacrosse a luxury car??? Buick propaganda; their cars are a very long way from an LS 460 or similar luxury cars.. Yes, Acura & all mfrs. package options; and as I said in my post I understand the advantages of this practice for all involved. My complaint is the stupid way Buick is packaging the options, & the fact I'm required to buy a 2nd package that has absolutely nothing in it that I want to get the first package that requires me to buy a complete navigation system to get a simple $495 BU camera. Ford & Toyota for example price the two items separately. I don't want or need a nav. the Garmin I've used for 6 years is completely adequate; I do want the BU camera as I consider this a safety feature.
    Option packages...Lexus and Toyota both are notorious for packages that add thousands. For example when I priced out a new 2008 Lexus RX 350, the two items I wanted (HID's, moonroof) were in two separate packages with a lot of other things I didn't want or need but increased the cost of the vehicle by $10 K. Same thing on the 2009 Toyota Venza V-6 with AWD. Adding what I wanted (leather, moonroof, HID's) raised the base from $29,250 to slightly over $39 K with many other options I didn't want. All manufacturers know what basic options most people want but bundle them in with a bunch of options most don't to increase profit margins, IMHO.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Sorry, I just gotta ask...is it "bob-gone-with-the-wind?"

Living here in Atlanta, I did not think it could be anything else... ;)
    Yep; you got it. But it doesn't have anything to do with the book or movie. I'm a lifetime sailor and, as such, always aware of or looking for the wind. 12 - 18 knots is utopia for me. Incidentallly, I've spent many a day on Lake Lanier with a good friend who used to live in Atlanta; he lives on Tybee now & I'm now in Charleston. Much closer to the ocean breezes.
    What exactly is the option that you "must have" when ordering the La Crosse? I see what you don't want, what is it you are trying to get on a standalone basis?
  • gorphilgorphil Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone know if the 2010 LaCrosse is in production? If not, when is the startup date?
    I don't know the exact production dates, but the new LaCrosse will be in dealer showrooms by the end of next month.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1178359.html
  • cmks02cmks02 Member Posts: 22
    bobqwtw seems to want the backup camera as a safety feature, but doesn't want the nav system that is required with the backup camera. So...without the nav system display, how the h-ll do you display the camera image? Seems to me if you want the camera, you have to get nav...pretty simple. I would guess no manufacturer would be able to offer a camera without nav so why pick on Buick???!!!
    If he has an after market Navigation system, he should just buy an after market backup camera for $400. Problem solved.
    A backup camera. Once you've used it you will be hooked.
    Not picking on Buick At all. If you don't have the nav the image is displayed in the rear view mirror - just like Ford & Toyota do it.
    I've considered it, but not a good option in my opinion. All aftermarket installations I've seen are visable & look tacked on. Too, I have been less than pleased with the results of aftermarket installations I've purchased.
  • frostbyte3964frostbyte3964 Member Posts: 30
    Exactly what I was going to say. With the 2010 Ford Fusion it's about a $280 upgrade. Not thousands to also get the nav system. Just puts it on the rear view mirror.
  • frostbyte3964frostbyte3964 Member Posts: 30
    I agree. I have never wanted a ford until the 2010 Fusion with 34 MPG was announced. So when I went in to actually see it and check out options I was pleasantly surprised to see the price of options and add ons. You can get the SEL for example and if so then 18" rims are only a $200 or $300 upgrade. I was also looking at a Camry and it was nearly $2000 for that option. They basically must be giving no credit for the original tires and rims. So for me looking to "upgrade" I have gone away from Toyota and Honda. I'm very interested to see the price of this one as equipped as I like. I'm holding off buying anything until I find out for sure. It's a beautiful car to me. It won't have the MPG of a Fusion or Corolla, but it's more of a car. I'm happy waiting to see how it pans out. Buick has something with this if priced right!
    If you don't have the nav the image is displayed in the rear view mirror

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////- /////////////////////////////////////

Is the rearview mirror enlarged for this application or do you get a 2" tall image of what's behind you?
    Don't know whether the mirror is the standard one or enlarged; but you do get a color picture that is large enough to give you adequate information about any obstruction behind the car.
  • mcebmceb Member Posts: 4
    My wife wants to cross shop the '10 Lacrosse and the '09 Lexus es350 and '10 Lincoln MKZ.

Does anyone have an update on when the '10 Lacrosse is expected into dealers in any numbers? We need to buy something in July or early August the latest.

Lacrosse looks nice but we need to see it in person. I'm not crazy about the AWD model (CXL) is only being offered with 3.0L engine in a 4000+ lb. car. The bigger 3.6 engine appears to only be available in FWD higher model CXS? Hopefully dealers in northeast won't order all CXLs.
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    I really like the idea of an AWD car but it has to be powerful, sort of like the 300C Hemi AWD, the thought of a 3.0 powering all 4 wheels in a 2 ton car reminds me of the defunct Ford 500 AWD, It is simply not enough power. I am of course, disappointed. Also can anyone answer any of these? Where will the LaCrosse be assembled (I wont buy a car assembled south of the border). Will the gas tank filler be on the correct side (drivers) or incorrect (passenger) side? I have found this to be an inconsiderate design on many new cars today. When I am at the gas station I can only watch those with right sided filler doors jockey for position.
    I believe the 2010 LaCrosse will be assembled in Kansas City. From pics the gas cap appears to be on the passenger side, which I'm not fond of either.
  • georgehughes35georgehughes35 Member Posts: 25
    I agree. The whole option price gouging was one of GM's best profit raping ideas which was expertly copied by Toyota and some others. I realize it is an old idea but some American ideas are still worth stealing.
  • mcebmceb Member Posts: 4
    Lacrosse will be built in Kansas City plant.
  • tk329tk329 Member Posts: 3
    mceb,
    My dealer states that June 15 is the target date to receive the first batch of 2010 Lacrosse. I am in Michigan. I too have been looking at new cars,including the MKZ. Watch yourself on the MKZ. These are the areas I did not like. The hood has a prop rod,and I don't like those,and certainly not on a high priced vehicle. Try and close the doors when a car is next to you,and you don't have the wide swing that you need. The door handles are placed to close to the front of the door and you don't have the fulcrum effect to help like handles that are in the normal mid door area. I also don't like the washers in the hood as they tend to freeze in the cold weather. Just my thoughts.

TK
  • tk329tk329 Member Posts: 3
    Ok, you are at the gas station,and you have to go to the passenger side to load up on fuel. I know wrong side,again. You have the key'"transponder",in your pocket which allows the ignition to be armed. Anyone can jump in drive the car away,but the engine will shut off when a certain distance is reached from the key. Don't know how far this is. Something to think about.

TK
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't get the Lincoln MKZ - why would anyone pay that much more for it over a loaded Fusion SEL when most of it is the same? I agree that the new Lacrosse would probably be a much better buy than the MKZ, but they seem to be doing some nice deals on Lexus 350 right now.