Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Why in the world am I going to buy a very base model looking car starting at $27k??
    I looked up the car on the site and cannot believe that is what $27k is buying me.

Steel wheels? You have got to be kidding me? Then starting $33k for anything else?
    I would much rather have something else..... Heck with new car sale prices I can get loaded car, that will hold its value, better quality, build, engine than this car...!

However, nice concept though... its about time right? I like the car, but paying $27k for a glorified GM car is ridiculous! Its really not like their coming out with something that looks unique though... looks like any other car... GM, your a little late!
    What is it about the "guts" of this car that would convince me that it is any different that the less than satisfactory (when compared to the competition)
    cars that they already have around now. GM is well known for keeping the old.
    What is so new? I want new engine specs, newer technology under the hood, that makes me feel, wow! this has a good feel, it has quality behind it.. not just a rental fleet feel... or just another duplicate car.

You certainly don't see a Lexus with steel wheels?

In order to really hit the competition with this car, take the average between $27k-33k pricing and give only 2 trims as an option. Put the cars price at $30k, with a decent load of goodies. Get rid of the silly and tacky looking base model, that just ruins the concept all together.

It would not be a big deal to have the base model, but at this price!? No acceptable.

I love the car, but GM is soooo late with this car... there are so many other cars that I would pick before this, that have been out so much longer with much better technology, and value. For one, I am not sure I want to buy from a bankrupt company... :lemon:
    It will be hot seller I am sure. perhaps forever changing its market target.

I think of GM like this, sweet on the outside, but a little sour on this inside.. they have their frills, features, looks perhaps, but take a look closer on the inside, it is really no different, no real focus on bettering its soul! Stale.

Anyway, on a rampage.. I hope the car is a hit! I love it! Would I buy it, no.
    Certainly not with the cheapo steal wheels. haha. Get real. GM, what is with your steel wheels with the hubs?

Did you know, most new Malibu's have Steel wheels, not real rims!
    Most GM cars all now have steelies. Even middle trimmed models.
  • Yes, but steel wheels have improved markedly. So you hate them. Don't buy a Buick, I wouldn't eliminate a good car, a car with positive reviews because it uses the new, more attractive steel wheels as standard equipment. But that is just me. And your opinion is just as valid. In my opinion, this is the best Buick in generations. It will be interesting to see what Buick does here with this model and the newer ones coming.

It is going gangbusters in China. And like it or not, that counts for a heck of a lot.Their economy is still growing. Ours is still shrinking.
  • carguy1235carguy1235 Member Posts: 1
    Buick beats the TL? On what planet? Since when does Buick compete with Acura, The TL is abetter car than the overHYPED Lexus. I know styling is unusual but in 3 years people will be raving about the new TL. Dollar for dollar its the best product out there.
    Buick competes with the Fords, Mrecury, Kias of the world! Go buy your Buick and get to know a mechanic well because you'll be spending plenty of time there!! Plus who knows how many Buick franchises will be around in 6 months!!!!

Get an education or do some research before you make a statement as foolish as this one!
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    by carguy1235 Jun 27, 2009 (12:27 pm)
    Go buy your Buick and get to know a mechanic well because you'll be spending plenty of time there!!

/////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\- \\\\

I've had my '06 Lucerne for 3 years and 44,000 miles and it's never been in the shop except for oil changes. It has been flawless as have most new Buicks.

Acura quality lags behind Buick as do other Asian makes. Tough for the rice-burner fans to accept but true.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Holy cow, carguy1235 - you truly need anger management! I suppose you just had a bad day.

On this planet it is well known that Acura TL is a glorified Honda Accord. Acura as a brand competes with Buick and Lincoln, and may be Lexus ES which is also a glorified Toyota Camry. I means it is hardly news everybody knows that.

Regarding reliability records it is well known that Buick is one of most reliable brands in US market. Honda is nothing exceptional on this aspect so it is hardly the reason to choose Honda cars over Buick. I hope there might be better reasons to consider Acura TL because if reliability is only the reason then Acura is in trouble (and it is actually is in trouble because it could not enter truly luxury segment since it was introduced no matter how much Honda tried).
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I still think they should have renamed the 2010 Invicta or Wildcat.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Wildcat is not a French name. I think Buick approach is to give French-derived names. It supposed to sound kind of 19th century sophisticated when France was a world leader, but I do not think at age of iPods and 3-series it holds true.

Wildcat sound to much oldschool though. I like Invicta more than LaCrosse.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Lesabre or Elektra would have also been a better names than La Crosse. Actually, the car is called Allure in Canada, because LeCrosse has a risque meaning there.

I like the Lacrosse styling, but I think it is too heavy , 4000 pounds. I prefer a car that weighs about 500 lbs less.
  • johnstarjohnstar Member Posts: 1
    When I came to the US two years ago, I didn't even know Acura is a luxury line of Honda. Their cars looked so ugly to me. Now after living in here for more than 2 years, I know Acura is supposed to be a high scale car but believe me, still I think their exteriors are as conservative as corolla and civic. A few days ago we went to a Honda showroom and tested Accord, C-RV and Pilot. My wife truly hated all of them. I didn't hate them because I knew their engines are really good but couldn't convince her to lease one of them because the interior quality was sooooo cheap. Then we decided to try Lexus and Acura and I must admit that Acura was not an exciting car to us at all. I feel I am really driving a civic or accord with a better interior.

Last month we decided to rent a car and drive to Miami and see how they perform in long distance (my American leased car has less mileage left on it). We rented a Galant and believe me, both of us had back pain when we came back home the next day. We have driving our own car to Miami several times and it never made us tired that much.

I don't understand why people in the US buy japanese and korean cars more than their home made cars when the only advantage of them is their long lasting engines. If I am wealthy enough to drive a luxury car, I will sell it back after 3 or max 4 years. So, I don't care if the car ca run for 10 years. A 4 years old car is old fashion and rather ugly looking in the road for a wealthy person. If you want to save money, then I would say go buy a corolla or civic. Believe me, they are the most economic cars in the market.

Today we tested Enclave, both of us really fell in love with this beauty. The seats were soooo comfortable. You feel like you are at home. I am sure I can drive it for several hundred miles with my family without getting tired. I don't like Ford's cars or other chevy products. We checked for a lease transfer or a used Enclave but I found cases that a 2 year old Buick is even more expensive than a new one. Why do people say American cars don't hold their value????

And finally, about this LaCrosse, you know... from what I can see in the pictures, we love the curved line between the driver and passenger seats. With that blue light, it reminds me of Minority Report and SciFi movies. I can't wait to drive one of them :P
  • alex789alex789 Member Posts: 20
    Dear Bob, your ’78 story is tear squeezing and because it’s true, it appears even more dramatic.
    Why you should pay for features you don’t need? Keeping this logical question in mind, lets add to your story something like that: You love the car – it reminds you old days, when GM dinosaurs were bossing around. 10 La is gorgeous. Maybe it’s new beginning for BU – not too big, not too small – exactly what you need. But problem is … in short, you need this back up damn cam!

They actually push you to buy on $2645-495=$2150 stuff. I have no doubts - you’ll get 2K off.
    Just watch inventory. If you will see your car is sitting a while – at the end of the month go for it.
    I don’t think that LaCrosse will produce a hit like 300C. The car sale still is falling.
    By the way, new generation hard drive based nav. is way better, than you have – quickness, picture quality and on… It’s like reg. and HD TV. You will drop on 40G hard drive your entire CD collection. It can store 12000 songs. You’ll never regret, specially with sound of hi-end Harman-Kardon.

I remember less than two years ago, I was looking for a car for my wife. I wanted small CUV, she – sedan. EX35 was an answer. Concept was stunning. Here on a forum people were chewing every detail, every news or video. But when it came to production Infinity decided to make it 3” shorter to save a gallon or two of gas. (Gas was over $4 at the time). As result, the smallest rear legroom number in class. Some people were turn down. Rest of them went to the showrooms. Some were count on base models – price for these model was actually OK and included a lot of good stuff. But there were not such a thing as base models – everything came dressed up in packages: Premium, Tech., Luxe Elite, Luxe Style and combo of them. Some people, who were crazy about EX and have money, took their candy home right away. But most people went home empty-handed. I don’t know what is going on now, but back then people turned out from SUV/CUV and were standing in line for hybrids. Few weeks were gone - EX sale got stuck. Infinity, who declared a new wonder as small crossover, became warred about their new breed. And that was the time to buy. People came back to showrooms and did whatever they want: 3-3.5K below Dealer Invoice. They got for free not just Nav, but never seen before exotics, such as: Around View Monitor System (with 4 cameras), Lane Departure Prevention System (not just warns you, but automatically applies one side brakes to push you back to your lane). Others were grabbing different goodies: Intelligent Cruise Control (also applies brakes, if you too close to a vehicle ahead), Adaptive Front Lightning System (headlamps move in the direction of a turn) or Bi-xenon Auto-leveling Headlights. Did I mention, that all of those cars had power fold/unfold back seat and self-healing paint – small scratches will escape with time?
    I just checked forum “EX35 buying experience” – 5-7K off from MSPR is everyday think. But two guys are clamed - they've got almost 10k off.
  • So why haven't we seen a bunch of road test reviews of the new Lacrosse yet? There are dozens on the new Taurus already, and the 2010 Subaru Legacy has already been driven by everyone and his mother. What gives with this silence on the 2010 Lacrosse?
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    With GM in Ch 11, maybe it's possible that the factories are simply shut down until they emerge from Ch 11...are GM and Chrysler making ANY cars at this time???...as I drive past local dealers, their lots are showing more and more empty spaces, as tho they are selling but not replenishing...
  • nomoreford2nomoreford2 Member Posts: 50
    The CX starts at $27,835 with the 3.0-liter V-6. Not sure how much cheaper the 2.4L will be, but who is going to buy a 4cyl 3900lb car for $26-7000 made by GM. As nice as the car is anything over 26k needs to be a V6 only. This 4cyl model will end up being the rental special just like the 4cyl G6 and Malibu 4cyl are.
  • You could be right, but maybe not. Acura, Audi, VW, Volvo among others have been selling high end 4 cylinder cars costing around $30K for years. This will be a smooth direct injection 4 cylinder. I would buy one. I don't want a V6, as long as the 4 is quiet and powerful enough to get out of its own way. The problem with many American 4 cylinder cars has been that there has been no offering that was luxury feature-laden, quiet in operation, and high hp for the displacement. The Lacrosse in these times needs a model that does 30 mpg or better. It's a welcome addition. Now, if they could just pare the weight down a bit without sacrificing quiet..
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    There must be some truth to that statement about the 4cyl engine. It seems many opt for the V6 in a GM rather than a 4cyl. I am not sure what is keeping the 4cyl to reaching its full potential.

I know that when I try to pass in my 4cyl GM, it feels a bit angry, scowls, and sorta capped at a peak. When I passed in my 06 Accord 4cyl I had, it really never felt like it was exhausted and before you know it, I was pushing past 80mph without much sweat. My 4cyl GM, I don't have to worry about looking down and thinking, wow, I better slow down. After driving this car for a year now, I just noticed this.

However, if that sorta engine in my GM car now, I would absolutely love it!! It would be complete! I miss that engine! A lot! GM can do that, even on a car like the Lacrosse, many other cars are doing it, but I am not sure their 4cyl now, could hold up to that kind of abuse.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    The Buick web site lists all four 2010 Lacrosse models as having the same MPG. I can't imagine that's actually true given two different engines and two different drivetrains across the platform. Has anyone seen model-specific MPG ratings?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Your comments reflect my thoughts, gregg. From a cost-of-ownership standpoint, however, the 3.0 V6 would probably command better resale value in the LaCrosse than the I-4. That could offset a good part of the fuel savings of the 4 cylinder, depending on gas prices and miles driven.
  • True. However, if gas goes back to $4 or better, the resale values will flip flop.
    The new LaCrosse is getting some good reviews and in fact, they seem stronger than the new Taurus reviews.
    From a cost-of-ownership standpoint, however, the 3.0 V6 would probably command better resale value in the LaCrosse than the I-4.

//////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

That may be true but my concern would also be how well the I-4 can motivate a 3900 lb vehicle.

Any thoughts on this?
  • Why would there be any problem? Approx 180 hp/180 torque was more than adequate for larger vehicles in the 1990s. Do you really need to accelerate that much faster now? (The answer in case you are wondering is no.)
    " Approx 180 hp/180 torque was more than adequate for larger vehicles in the 1990s."...no, it wasn't...it was what they GAVE us in our choice of engines if there was any choice at all...using your analogy, the 100 HP, 455 CID engines in the early 70s was adequate simply because that's what they gave us...those engines were pigs on a good day...

IMO, and I am not trying to be "speed racer", any midsize car should have 225-250 HP (with corresponding torque) for reasonable performance, and any larger car should have a minimum of 250-300...my Crown Vic has 239 HP, while not a pig, does hesitate when I need to accelerate...25-50 more HP and lbs/ft would be a welcome improvement...
    Why would there be any problem? Approx 180 hp/180 torque was more than adequate....

//////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Well that is still the question. I agree that lightly loaded (under 4500 lbs) at lower elevations the I-4 should get the job done. Loading the car up to GVW of 5000 lbs and trying to drive up Interstate 70 into the Rocky Mountains might be a different story. ;)
  • Then of course get the bigger engine. But for most people, the car will be for city and highway driving, running errands, going to and fro. No need for high hp to do that. If you are towing, or hauling lots of fat asses and so on, then by all means, get the bigger engine.
    "But for most people, the car will be for city and highway driving...."

///////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I agree. For 99% of my driving the I-4 would be fine, it's the 4000 lb weight of the car that bothers me.

I plan to wait for the 2011 Buick Regal that should weigh about 3300 lbs and will do great with the I-4. I've seen preliminary specs that peg the new Regal's width within a 1/2" of the Lucerne and Lacrosse.

Shoulder room gives me the feel of a bigger car and I like that and the idea of a 3300 vehicle that averages 25mpg.

More info on the 2011 Regal is available here:

link title
    The Regal picture looks nice, but also a bit like Lexus 350.
    "The Regal picture looks nice, but also a bit like Lexus 350."

/////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I agree it's a good looking car but it's much shorter than an ES Lexus. Similar length wise to an IS. The 2011 Regal maintains the track (width) of a full-size car but will be a small mid-size offering slotted beneath the LaCrosse.

It will be a winner if bought in under $25K.
    I think we'll have to wait for a test to know how adequate the I-4 would be, but this I-4 has direct injection, and the horsepower and torque numbers are strong for a four. That and the fact that it'll be coupled to a 6-speed automatic might make it very adequate for many drivers. Of course, many will be put off by the notion of a four in a full size Buick, and will automatically opt for the 3.0 V6, and still others will just want the extra grunt provided by one of the sixes.

It'll be interesting to see what the gas mileage difference will be between the I-4 and 3.0 V6.
    "It'll be interesting to see what the gas mileage difference will be between the I-4 and 3.0 V6."

//////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Tentative mileage figures are out for the 2010 LaCrosse.

3.0L V6 FWD: 17 City, 26 Hwy and 20 Combined.

2.4L I4 FWD: 20 City, 30 Hwy and 24 Combined.
  • The Regal will be similar in length to other popular mid-size cars (e. g., Camry, Passat). The new La Crosse, being almost full-size, is a bit longer than most mid-sizers.
    The Regal will be similar in length to other popular mid-size cars (e. g., Camry, Passat).

/////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Umm Yes - Thank you for the correction. The 2011 Regal is Camry, Fusion, Passat sized. I stand corrected.
    Maybe around 2012 or 2013 Buick will reintroduce the Grand National, perhaps on an AWD version of the new Regal platform. Presumably, some buyers will still value performance in the forthcoming high MPG age.
    I applaud your optimism that GM will still be here in ANY form in 2013...if sufficient folks desert them, even MORE than that amount that put them into Ch 11, there will be a great skeleton that remains...foundries, assembly plants, all gathering dust from being shut down for good in 2011...
    GM's not in chapter 11 due to lack of sales volume. It's a cost issue. If you accumulate all GM sales across all brands, there's more than enough volume to sustain an automaker there. The issues are excessive marketing and design costs to maintain so many different lines and legacy costs associated with lifetime benefits and defined benefit pension plans.
    I will agree with you that their sales should have sustained them...but their engineering and design has been on the downslide for decades, except for a few models...and quality has suffered severely, which I find difficult to place the blame for that on legacy costs, but rather on design of vehicle and the @#%&* that assemble them...
    ...and quality has suffered severely...

//////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Buick quality has been among the best in the industry for several years now. My '06 Lucerne has been perfect in every respect. I have had it for 2 1/2 years and have put 30,000 miles on it.

Buick has 3 more new models coming on line in the next 18 months. They will do well.
    I hope you are correct...
  • thorsthors Member Posts: 35
    I am seriously looking at this vehicle and would like some input on prices out there....I have always been a foreign car person but this is making me take a second look at American cars and Buick at that.

I am looking at the CXL FWD with
    PCI - driver conf. pkg
    PCK - luxury pkg
    C3U - power sunroof
    Q52 - 18" chrome wheels
    PCM - comfort & conv.

What price should I be firm on?? TMV says $35,380 - which is MSRP, but invoice is $33,448........ :confuse:

Thanks. ;)
    You could Internet cross-shop a few dealers and see what you come up with.

If we're not talking trade-in and you bring your cash/financing to the table, I'd knock $1,500 off the MSRP and be firm.

The "Invoice" listed is only 5.5% below MSRP. Invoice price is a joke these days really. The meaning of it is gone with the wind and forget Edmunds TMV on a model that just went on sale. There's not much for them to go by yet.

$33,900 should buy the car you've described.
    Invoice price is a joke these days really. The meaning of it is gone with the wind

What do you mean by this?
    Let's wind the clock back 30 years to 1979.

Say a new car had a Monroney sticker price of $9,000 which was about average then for a full-size sedan. The invoice price at that time was typically 11-12% below sticker on full-size cars or about $8,000. That $1,000 difference was ALL the dealer had to make a profit with. You couldn't buy the car for "invoice" then because that left nothing for commissions, overheads, profit, etc.

Fast forward to 2009. We'll use thors example from above. The 2010 Buick LaCrosse quoted has a Monroney sticker price of $35,380. The invoice price is $33,448! That's only 5.5% below the sticker price! Do you think a measly $1,900 is all the dealer has to work a profit from today? Of course not.

There are manufacturer to dealer incentives and dealer hold-backs on virtually every new car sold today. A dealer can sell a car for under invoice today and still make a profit! It has totally polluted what "invoice" price is supposed to mean.

On the new Buick cited I'd estimate close to $4,000 is available for the dealer to bargain with. $3,500 minimum. True dealer cost on that $35,380 Buick is $32,000 max but "invoice" is $33,448!

My figures are estimates and I'm generalizing but you should get the idea. Don't let an "invoice sale" con you into thinking you're buying a vehicle for dealer cost. ;)
    Thanks everyone for all the advice and help - love that site! Sheds some light on the whole car buying experience!

Since they're so new, I'm having trouble finding the configuration I want....I've got 5 dealers I've contacted and they are slowly getting back to me.....I don't want the gray interior which is all there seems to be out there right now!! :mad:
    Also - I'm being told 2 stories on the Drivers Confidence Package...1 is that it is lumped into the comfort and conv. pkg...2 is that it is standard on all CXL's.....
    I have to tell you though that I've been looking at several vehicles and it seems I know more than the salesmen!!!! So.......something doesn't sound right here about that package...anyone know what the story is on it? That is an option we are definite about.......

Really like this car, but don't want to special order.....

;)

Thanks!!
    "Also - I'm being told 2 stories on the Drivers Confidence Package...1 is that it is lumped into the comfort and conv. pkg...2 is that it is standard on all CXL's....."

//////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Well story #1 definitely sounds wrong. The Comfort & Conv. Pkg is only $550 and already includes several nice options; so there's no way you'd get Xenon HID articulating lamps, a Head-Up Display and a Blind Spot Warning system tossed in at that price.

Story #2 is wrong also because buick.com lists the HID lamps and Head-Up display as options for all the CXL & CXS models. There is no mention of the Blind Spot Warning system on the Buick website that I can see.

It's interesting because the link provided by alexup for truecar.com doesn't show the Driver Confidence Package as available either. My guess is there is some issue with the Blind Spot Warning system making it unavailable at this time. You can still get the HID lamps & HUD though.
    dodgeman07.....
    Exactly!!! There is NO way it's lumped into that %550 pkg!!! I went to their website last night as well and saw the same thing and noticed that on truecar too, so think you may be correct in there's some kind of issue with the blind spot warning....which would be a nice thing......so will look at those 2 options as separate.....
    Opinion on prices offered by dealer?
    The biggest problem seems to be what I want in the car and the interior color! Are my options that specific that I should need to order one?? I noticed quite a few of the ones have the upgraded sounds system...that seems to be a common option...

Thanks!!!!
  • jlcjlc Member Posts: 30
    Hey everyone, I am very interested in 2010 Buick. Can anyone tell me if the car has cabin air filtration? Such as BMW, Infiniti etc. I have bad allergies and this would be a big plus. I also would like to buy USA.

thanks

JLC
  • jlcjlc Member Posts: 30
    Just recieved Buick brochure in the mail, and yes it has cabin air filtration.

Thanks
    Anyone finding they are coming in very slowly?? Trying to find a beige interior is proving difficult where I am (south Fla)...all the gray - which is nice, but not what I want. Also - now hearing there is a problem with the heads up display...something to do with the treatment on the windows, so not sure how soon that will be out and that is something we would like....as well as the blind spot feature, but one salesman told me that they pulled that feature from the Enclave as it got a lot of customer complaints, so they may be pulling that all together here too......
  • grinningrinnin Member Posts: 13
    Glad to see GM stepping up their design both exterior and interior. LaCrosse is a nice looking car and Buick has done great with the quality numbers. But.. 4000+ lbs.?? This excess weight is killing the gas mileage as well as the vehicles quickness. Nissan Maxima and Toyota Avalon have more powerful V-6s, much better pickup, 10 to 15% better fuel economy, and each weigh 400-500# less. Lose 500# and your EPA goes up 2 mpg, your braking distances go down 10 ft., and your 0-60 goes down by 1.0 sec. As tough as the current sales market is, a manufacturer needs to get everything right without exceptions to make any money right now. I hope the LaCrosse does well.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Currently driving an 06 Impala 6 seater and an 08 Solara SLE convertible. The Impala has almost as much trunk room as my 05 500 had. The convertible only about 13 cubic feet. The trunk on the 2010 LaCrosse is only 12cf? Whats with that. A family of five will have to pack light and strollers will have to be the umbrella kind.
    I'm in the market but the Taurus might have to be considered. I figure if I have to settle for a 5 seater I will not be getting a crossover. The Kia Rondo 7 seater and the mazda5 have the right direction though. The auto manufacturers should fill this nitche with a combination of the two vehicles -either a more powerful Mazda 5 or a better looking Rondo with the 6cylinder.Either way I'll be waiting to see how things shake out and then maybe jump in the spring.