Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Veracruz Tires, Wheels and Suspension

2»

Comments

• Options
    ben4025ben4025 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a VC and reading feedbacks. I have a 2004 Accord and the rear brakes wore out around 40K. Not covered by warranty either. Dealer said that Honda uses more pressure in the rear brakes for better stopping power and better wear. Right now at 57 K and the front brakes have not been changed.... I do not know if the dealers comment is true, but i find it interesting that the VC has a similar issue. I would like to know if the VC maintenance is more/less expensive than a regular SUV. I am considenring AWD.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Dealer said that Honda uses more pressure in the rear brakes for better stopping power and better wear...I do not know if the dealers comment is true...

IIRC, yes it's true. Honda uses brake force distribution to evenly distribute the braking load to all for wheels. Unfortunately, the rear pads used to be thinner so they wear out first.
  • Options
    perdido2keyperdido2key Member Posts: 28
    At 51,000 miles my rear brake pad started metal to metal rubbing between the pad metal and rear disc. all brake material on the piston side ( inside ) pad was gone.
    Not that hard to replace, just a 14mm wrench and a "C" clamp to push the piston back in. Rear pads, both sides, was about $30.00.

Also my OEM Michelens were toast at 50,000mi, they sounded like those horns at the world cup matches.
    I replaced them with Yokohamas and like them much better.
  • Options
    ggeeooggeeoo Member Posts: 94
    My wife noticed the Hankook Tires on our new 2010 VW TDI Sedan my 2010
    VW Sport Jetta Wagon that I bought 6 Wundabar {wonderful} months ago has the
    Contacte-Pro on it smooth ride all the same.
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    edited September 2010
    After having the rear brake pads replaced, my dealer is now recommending that they be serviced every 15K mi. by cleaning them. I'm not quite sure how, or why, this helps but they claim Hyundai is making this suggestion. I've complained iin the past about a squeak coming from the passenger rear quarter area and have been told it's an emergency brake cable rubbing against something and that this procedure would cure it. Sounds odd to me as I've never had a vehicle which required brake cleaning procedures. And with 61K mi on the car, the front brakes are fine.

Oh, also had to have the sway bar links replaced just before the 60K warranty was up. Noisy and loose. This was a surprise as well.
  • Options
    john_hoffmanjohn_hoffman Member Posts: 10
    I just had to have rear brakes replaced at just under 51K; front brakes less than half worn.

Mechanic attributed it to poor lube of calipers, so they don't retract correctly.

That is probably why the 15K cleaning is recommended.
  • Options
    1trulove1trulove Member Posts: 29
    I know the frustration people are having with the tire cupping problem. Our problem was first noticed at at 15,000 mile check up by a local service/tire store. We took the Veacruz to the dealer and they said there was no problem with the vehicle, the alignment was good and all components checked out. They recommended reversing the tires for even wear. So we tried that, but what a noise the tires made. To make a long story short, we reversed the tires agai, and the delaer still denied any problem. This occurred over a period of 1 and 1/2 years til we got so fed up we traded the Veracruz in for a Toyota Venza (guess we like "V" cars). But it cost me $1,000 off the agreed trade-in vale once the tires were inspected.
    We won't be buying another Hyundai, mostly because of the service department's attitude during all this. We even had to complain to the National headquarters about rusting brake sheilds that they refused to repair when the car had less than 10,000 miles on it.
    What good is the "Best Warantee" when they refuse to honor anything! :confuse:
  • Options
    emtaboyemtaboy Member Posts: 6
    My 2008 Veracruz with only 17k miles has warped rotors. Of course, Hyundai will not do anything except "turn"....ie cut....the rotors for a cheap temporary fix. Taking metal OFF a rotor will never fix the problem...it will warp again.

So if you are considering a Hyundai, know that this company does NOT stand behind their product. Quality rotors DO NOT warp with only 17k miles (and minimal use as most of those miles were long trips on the highway). They use cheap OEM parts and could care less about their customers. Note that the Veracruz LTD was a $38k suv when I purchased it in 2008. For a little bit more I could have purchased an Acura, Infiniti or Lexus....all makes which I have owned in the past. They would have fixed this issue with NEW rotors in a second. But you get what you pay for...beware of Hyundai and their cheap parts were most consumers/reviewers will not notice.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IMHO, they are at least doing something. Most manufacturers (and I believe that includes Hyundai), warrant wear parts for 1 year/12K miles.
  • Options
    goybargoybar Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    emtaboyemtaboy Member Posts: 6
    Right...but something means nothing to me as I have NEVER not had warped rotors replaced when under 36k miles. Lexus, Infiniti/Nissan have replaced warped rotors with NEW rotors. I realize that all manufactures try to save money by using cheap OEM pieces. But at least they stand behind them to REPLACE when the car is relatively new.

Doesn't matter anyhow, Hyundai made up its mind and refused to replace rotors. So Acura gets my business....new TL for me and forget about Genesis. Good service is important and Hyundai doesn't have it. And when comparing TL to Genesis, they cost about the same. Why would anyone deal with Hyundai when they can get Acura??

And funniest part is that difference to Hyundai between two options (paying dealer to cut rotor/new pads vs new rotor/new pads) is minimal as they buy rotors in bulk and need to PAY dealer to cut rotors. So extra cost would only be their cost of rotor minus what they pay dealer for cutting old rotors. But I guess they didn't figure that I as consumer would not buy their Genesis AND go on these forums to alert anybody reading about Hyundai North America's policies. Add that as a potential cost to Hyundai for being CHEAP!

Dumb decision from my perspective given the small money involved for them. Now for me, buying new quality rotors/pads plus installation might cost about $450. Or maybe just get rid of the Veracruz and let the next dealer/owner worry about it.
  • Options
    albanyjetalbanyjet Member Posts: 9
    I hope that Hyundai does something about this problem. I can't believe that I didn't notice it when we tested the vehicle because it is SO obvious now.
  • Options
    jake116jake116 Member Posts: 1
    After brake work by dealer, noticed rattles.

Dealer advised ALL 4 stuts had failed (at ~50,000 miles).

Waranty coverage under 60,000 mile bumper to bumper waranty was declined by dealer (normal wear & tear exclusion). Car is well maintained, not abused, driven by grey hairs, all normal & ordinary use.
    Spoke to Hyundai who advised they would check with dealer and get back in 5-10 days.
    Two weeks later called Hyundai to request update of status.
    Advised by Hyundai to call dealer & ask if the dealer had contacted regional mgr of Hyundai. Conference called the dealer with the Hyundai associate on line.
    Dealer indicated they would call me next day. They did not call.
    Called Hyundai who advised me to call the dealer & ask if dealer had spoken with regional mgr of Hyundai, again.
    The other option recommended was to go to another dealer.
  • Options
    ultcarultcar Member Posts: 24
    I think I could have gotten more miles, but I decided to change all four tires at 69,000 miles. Ride is much nicer without the cupped tires. Went with Michelin LTX M/S. Nice tires and should be better in the snow than the OEM Michelin Latitude that came with it.

A visit to the dealer found that the rear brake pads required replacement for $200. (with a $50 coupon) Brake feels more solid.
  • Options
    jonnyrocket1jonnyrocket1 Member Posts: 4
    We have a 2011 Veracruz with a bad thumping in the rear. Did you ever figure what was causing that symptom on yours?

Thanks!

John P