Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai XG300/XG350 Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• socalxgsocalxg Member Posts: 3
    Hope there's some answer for this. i have an '03 XG350L...it has 127,000 miles...has always ran great. Just recently I've had a lound grinding type noise coming from..it seems...the front center of the hood area. This noise happen..from what I can tell...in gears 2-4 (it's a 5 speed). There is no griding on shifting. It happens as the car accelerates and/or decellerates? It only happens when the car is moving and can seeminly get lounder if I rev the engin while diving. Only other thing is I've notced...about 10% of the time I start driving from a stopped postion...there will be a clunk/catch getting into 1st? Any thoughts...thank you.
  • autokritikerautokritiker Member Posts: 65
    Have you ever changed the transmission fluid? This should have been done before 100K miles. If not, have a transmission drain and fill service performed for about $80 to $100 and see if it helps. Also, get underneath the car and look at the CV boots. They are the rubber boots located behind the front wheels. If there's any oil or gunk splattered around the vicinity of those rubber boots, you may need new CV joints. If that's where the noise is coming from, they'll definitely need to be replaced.
    Thanks for the reply...yes...I had the transmission serviced about a year ago...and since hearing the noise I put in the Lucas transmission Fix...and it didn't do anything. I did have a power steering leak fixed just before the noise started...maybe that fluid got on the CV??? But, would that cause this type of noise? Thanks, again.
  • autokritikerautokritiker Member Posts: 65
    The CV Joint is sealed within the CV Boot. The boot is packed with grease, which tends to get flung onto the surrounding area when the boot cracks and fails. A boot replacement usually costs around $150. The CV Joint will fail if you go too long with a bad boot, and then you are looking at $500 or more for a new CV joint. Having other oils and fluids leak onto the boot, like power steering fluid in your case, would not cause any problems at all. Other than that, I'm not sure what else would be making a grinding noise. Sometimes a brake pad can wear low without squeaking like it's supposed to, and then you suddenly have metal-on-metal grinding even when you're not pressing the brake pedal. Could be as simple as that.

If you have a mechanic you trust, or if somebody can recommend one for you, then let him take a look at your car for 20 or 30 minutes and he'll probably be able to find what's making the noise.
  • pido7pido7 Member Posts: 2
  • pido7pido7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Hyundai XG350. Today I went to get a remote start/keyless entry installed. When I left the shop I noticed the TCS light was on. I was running late for class so I had no time to stop and ask about this. Upon leaving class it was now dark out and I noticed that the dash lights were also all off. When I push the TCS button they turn on, but only while I hold the button down. I will be going back to tell them to fix it, but in the meantime can anyone tell me what they think the problem might be and/or how to fix it? And also what the TCS light means in the first place? Thankyou in advance for any help
  • eb13eb13 Member Posts: 1
    hi,

i have a XG350L. my overhead and interior door lights won't come on. My sunroof control won't work either. The radio won't even turn either and the AC/Heating system turns on then shuts off 5 seconds later. There are no mechanical problems with the car, they all seem to be electrical. i assume all these issues are all related but i don't really know. how can i fix this?
  • cduplin94cduplin94 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2014
    I have an 04 Hyundai xg350L and my engine light keeps coming on and saying its the map sensor so i got a new map sensor and again it turned on so we put another one in thinking it was a bad sensor but then again my engine light came on.. what could be the problem on why the engine lighy is coming on saying its the map sensor when its a new sensor? And also my tail light comes on when i push on the break but none of my tail lights are out?
  • bettydcbettydc Member Posts: 3

@Ultragames said:
    Ever since I got my 2002 Hyundai XG350L, the oil light has faded in and out. It will be totally off for days or even a week at a time, and then it will be "on". I say "on" because it never just lights up like any of the other lights. Rather it blinks ever so lightly as i'm driving. When I accelerate, it goes off completly, and when I brake or idle, it comes back brighter.

I know that the bulb/LED for my oil light is working, because when I start the car, the light has full solid brightness.

Does anyone have any idea why this light would be fading in and out, and sort of blinking slowly? It never reaches full brightness, and the car doesn't drive any differently when it's on.

By the way, I did get an oil change just to see if that fixed the problem, and it did not.

Thanks. =====

It might be a defective or incorrect oil filter or a defective sensor sending unit. If oil is flowing through the filter too quickly, the oil pressure will be too low.

• C_CECILC_CECIL Member Posts: 1
    YEAR: 2005 MODEL: HYUNDAI XG350 MILES: 79K
    ISSUES: LISTED RECENT TO OLDEST. Seems like a round-up for everyone here.

We've put 50k miles on the car since getting it 3 years ago from a CarMax is Las Vegas

MOST RECENT ISSUES LISTED FIRST

THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR APPEARED AT 79K -- Cost of Repair about $300
    This is the most recent issue. After sitting in freeway traffic stop n go for about a half hour, I was able to get up to the limit for about 10 miles when forward velocity became sluggish, the check engine light came on. I was afraid it was overheating so I limped into a parking lot and sat for about 15 minutes. Problem went away but check engine light came back on and wouldn't go away. Took car to Pep Boys who said it was a Throttle Position Sensor issue. Cost to repair: just about $300. Not even two weeks later, we've got the same problem again. Read the forum today and saw the laundry list off issues that match my car.

CIGARETTE LIGHTER FUSE BLOWS
    First started happening at about 55k miles
    Plug in a phone charger and it works for a couple hours then dies. I've replaced the fuse twice now and replaced my phone charger plugs just in case they were the fault.

RADIO ERRORS
    The radio does have the intermittent issue with powering on and off. At first, I thought I was losing my mind. Swapping CDs generates an ERR 2 message, and switching to tape pops up an ERR 8. Just chalking it up to jumky POS radio. Been having this problem for about half the time we've owned it and with everything else wrong with it, I'm not replacing it. I'll disconnect it first.

AIRBAG SENSOR
    The light has been on since the car went out of the extended warranty we purchased. I've seen on forums that connector located under the front seat becomes loosened and that some people have taken to using electrical tape to fix the connection and Hyundai hasn't done a thing about it. Guess not enough people have complained to the the feds about it.

SQUEAKY SOUND IN REAR
    Springs in rear. Check. Low priority at this time.

FUELING UP TAKES FOREVER
    The gas pump keeps shutting off flow when trying to fuel up. I have to monkey around with it to finally get it to work. Seems to happen more with certain gas stations.

ACCELERATION FAIL
    We noticed this at around 35k miles during a hot Las Vegas summer.
    The car would drive fine from a cold start. However, after only parking for a few minutes, it would start up and drives, but as soon as I came to a signal the acceleration would bottom out...engine's still running but the car fails to go forward. I'd have to womp on the gas, causing the car to shoot off like a rocket. Had it checked out. Result: No way to reproduce problem. That problem went away when we moved to Northern CA.
    Perhaps its tied to the most recent issue?