Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza vs Lexus RX 350

Jeff_in_TNJeff_in_TN Member Posts: 1
edited May 2014 in Lexus
It's time to replace my wife's 2002 Audi wagon. Using Edmund's TMV, I gulped when I saw to replace it in kind would be almost $60K. They are great cars, but there are others. Plus, it is a little cramped up front on long trips.

Then I saw the NY Times review of the Venza. I took a look and a test drive, and it is a VERY nice car. We are empty nesters, so 5 seats is plenty and it will hold all the "stuff" when we go away.

I have friends with the RX 350 but haven't spent much time in one. According to TMV, it can be had for about 10% over a Venza (Our Toyota dealer is holding firm at MSRP right now).

So, if both were similarly equipped, which would you pick?

Thanks,

Jeff in TN

Comments

• macpromacpro Member Posts: 52
    I really love Lexus vehicles. My wife and I have owned several over the past 10 years. I looked at the RX350 before purchasing our Venza.

The Venza has keyless entry, the 2009 RX does not. The 2010 does, but we didn't like the interior (in all fairness, only saw pictures). The Venza drives great, has plenty of room for us and our stuff. Also has 6th Gen Navigation.
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    So, if both were similarly equipped, which would you pick?

For me, I'm leaning towards the Venza.

Even with the substantial discounts on the outgoing 2009 model (2010 is all new and arriving in February), the RX is still more expensive than the Venza for less features (that are important to me).

It all depends on what's important to you, of course. The Lexus does have 1) a longer warranty; 2) potentially better dealer service/experience; 3) brand prestige; 4) a more "SUV" than "station wagon" appearance; 5) better interior materials (though the Venza is pretty close, in my opinion); 6) seat memory, power adjustable steering wheel; rain-sensing wipers.

On the other hand, the Venza has 1) a new design that won't be replaced soon, so it will look "newer" longer; 2) 6-speed transmission; 3) Smart Key; 4) back up camera and Bluetooth without Navigation; 5) 20" wheels vs. 18" on the RX; 5) aux-in jack.

Once supply improves, your Toyota dealer will be more willing to deal on the Venza. In my area, I can get a Venza at around $900 above invoice.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    My recommendation is to just drive them back-to-back and select the one that you like best. And don't forget to include other similar vehicles in your testing. Have you looked at the newest 2009 Audi A4 Avant? It's a bit larger than previous models (still smaller than the RX and Venza) and is priced in upper $30s to mid-$40K range. That said, I like the Venza over the RX: The Venza is new, while the RX is a 7 year old design, being refreshed with the 2010 model due out next month. Both are reliable, so the different warranty should not be much of a factor. The special Lexus treatments (loaner cars, service waiting lounges) are nice, but they come at a cost (I've owned 4 Lexuses and never took full advantage of the service comforts because the cars never really broke down). And remember - it's just a car. Try it for a few years and if you don't like it, trade it in for something different - the car won't be upset.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I'm a little peeved, and surprised, that the Venza does not have fully-automatic headlights. :(
    I'm a little peeved, and surprised, that the Venza does not have fully-automatic headlights.

I could've sworn that the Venza I test drove had an "auto" setting on the headlamp stalk. It might be a part of the HID option package.
    The Venza does have automatic high-beam headlights, so maybe the setting was for that? Mind you, I have not check one out in the flesh, but the info on the Toyota website did not list fully-automatic headlights, only headlight cancellation system, which means auto-off only.
    The headlights on the Venza have an Auto setting.

Page 202 of the Owners Manual: AUTO MODE: The headlights and all lights listed above turn ON and OFF automatically.

Note: lights listed above are: Side Marker, parking, tail, license plate, and instrument panel lights.

When in Auto Mode, push the lever forward to turn on the high beams. The Automatic High Beam system will be activated.
    According to the Quick Reference Guide, it appears the Auto setting only activates the automatic high beam.

http://qrg.toyotapartsandservice.com/index.php?vehicle=Venza&year=2009

But I suppose the actual Owner's Manual should be more detailed. In any case, it would seem logical that the Venza would have fully automatic headlights since even the RAV4 has it.
    I agree, the Quick Reference Guide is a little vague, but I can confirm when you select AUTO, the headlights come on automatically at night. The automatic high beams work extremely well.
    That's an interesting link to the Quick Reference Guide.

Did anyone else notice that Toyota apparently planned on selling a true "base" model with manual air conditioning a single-CD player, and manually-adjustable driver's seat? There are also features marked "if equipped" -- fog lights and Homelink, for example.

If you look at the Toyota website, even the 4-cylinder model comes standard with dual-zone auto AC, a 6-disc changer, and a power driver's seat.

The date on the document is 10/2008 -- I wonder if the single, well-equipped trim-line strategy was a last-minute change? Or maybe there was supposed to be a "LE" and "XLE" trim similar to the Camry?
    Or they would expand the trim-line offerings later in the model year or perhaps in the 2nd model year. A budget "LE", and a luxury "XLE", as well as possibly a Hybrid. The XLE could include one or 2 of the optional packages as standard equipment plus things like memory seats, which is currently not available at all.
  • venomshot629venomshot629 Member Posts: 20
    To get back on topic, I would definitely get the Venza before the RX 350. Looking at pictures, the Venza interior is much MUCH nicer, especially with the new center console with the sliding cupholders... So much storage space! As someone said before, the Lexus design is getting old now, and the Venza refresh is actually one of the few Toyota cars that many people agree looks better than the Lexus version.

In with the new; get a Venza!
    "the Venza interior is much MUCH nicer"

My brother has a RX350, so I've spent time in it. The Venza would have to have a hell of a nice interior to vindicate your statement. I haven't seen the Venza interior in the flesh so I would have to withhold final judgement, but it's difficult to imagine something on a par with the Camry having a much nicer interior than the Lexus. From the photos, I thought the interior is actually the weak point of the Venza. It doesn't look modern and swoopy like the exterior. It looks kinda bland and Buicky. Not sporty at all, from the minivanesque shifter to the foot parking brake to the shiny plood. But again, that's only from photos.
    I suggest you check out the interior fly-through video on Toyota's site; It is very, very nice and I would expect the same... that a Lexus would be nicer than a Toyota... But it looks like, at least this model, things are changing. As far as I know the new Lexus crossover will not be getting the sliding center console, but all new Toyotas and Lexus cars will be moving to the convenient shifting position, which is actually great positioning because it uncovers a ton of previously unusable center console space... Now they use that new area for storage since the shifter is out of the way.

Venza Interior:

Lexus Interior:

They all have the same buttons and everything on the center console, except the Lexus has the dedicated radio display and a tape deck where the Venza has it's MP3 player dock/connection and what I believe is its seat heating controls? Both interiors are very nice, actually, so I shouldnt have said MUCH with so much emphasis, but I do believe the Venza has made better use of the space and definitely gives its Lexus brother some competition for the price.
    I agree that the Venza's interior is nice with ample storage space. But to be fair to the RX350 that you're comparing to, the 2009 RX is a 6-year old design. The 2010 RX has a much more styled (note I think it's "styled" not necessarily "stylish") interior than the previous generation.

Personally, not a big fan of the 2010 RX interior. I think there is too little use of the real wood trim that Lexus is known for. The gold "Lexus" below the climate controls is cheesy. Without navigation, you're stuck with a black-and-white multi-function display.
    Sorry, I thought that was the 2010 interior that I showed... I thought it was weird with the completely different shifter position, as the pics I had seen about a week ago were similar to Venza style... My mistake! Here are the pics, revisited :)

Lexus Driver View

Venza Driver View

Lexus Passenger View

Venza Passenger View without Nav

Lexus Full Cabin View

Venza Full Cabin View:

Lexus Exterior Front:

Venza Exterior Front:

Which Lexus is this? Looks more comparable to the Venza.....:

Lexus Exterior Rear View:

Venza Exterior Rear View:

Looking at these pictures, Venza just did more with it's center console space usage, whereas Lexus reserves 1/3 of the space exclusively for the shifter. Other than that, and the placement of the Nav in the Lexus and the Sliding Dual storage compartments in the Venza, the two cars are nearly identical. Also interesting to note that because of the Venza's hideaway cupholders, there are also 2 cupholders in each of the lower frames of the driver and passenger doors. I can't wait to see what the 2010 Venza does in improvement, if this is just the first version! :shades:
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    As someone who currently drives an RX350 and is also very interested in the Venza, I found the Venza interior to be a very nice design, with some better attributes than the Lexus. The Venza's materials are generally a grade below Lexus, such as fake wood vs real wood trim; Lexus leather feels a bit softer; the dash, door and console plastics on the Lexus are more soft-to-the-touch and a bit nicer to look at (sort of leather grain plastic vs. the Venza's rice paper look). And the Venza has a cheap looking dashboard grill covering a center speaker (I think) that did not fit well in the two Venzas I was in. However, I like the overall layout of the Venza's controls and the functionality of the center console better than the RX. The seat heater knobs of the RX are very small and nearly impossible to operate while wearing gloves. And the moveable center console on the RX is prone to rattles and doesn't have much functionality, other than cupholders and a deep box area where it's often hard to find stuff at the bottom of the space. The back seat of the Venza seems to have more legroom than the Lexus and the ability to fold down the rear seat backs from the rear hatch area of the Venza is a great convenience. And compared with photos of the 2010 RX interior, I'd pick the Venza. I'll need to see the new Lexus in person to make a final judgment.
    Anyone have any idea what this car is? I thought the RX line was the Venza's direct competition, but as I stated in my last post this one looks a lot more similar with the light/grille and body style:

Just a wild guess -- the Lexus version of the Matrix?
  • margaritacmargaritac Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for all of the the imputs vs these two cars. I am also looking at both and having a Volvo XC90 for the safety factors.. and trust me , no other reason, I am really concerned b/c the Venza is a new vehicle. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated and which option is better AWD/FWD and what is a good price to pay for the Venza
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I like my '01 AWD RX300 but if the Venza were available with a DFI I4 and F/awd that's where I would go.
  • xGuessWhoxxGuessWhox Member Posts: 20
    I've test driven both and I must say, Toyota did a very good job with the pics on their website. The car just feels and looks cheap and the drive is nowhere smooth or quiet as Lexus and I was disappointed after mere few minutes into the test drive. There is just no comparison. Lexus is of a better quality by far.
  • jkenleyjkenley Member Posts: 64
    I sat in a Venza to check it out. As soon as I got into the car, it felt too small for my needs, no where near as big as an RX. The cargo space is very small. It was nice but in my opinion, not as nice as the RX.
  • DAGHVACDAGHVAC Member Posts: 18
    I believe the 2010 rx is basicly a fancy venza but don't quote me on it
    @ GuessWho, I dont know what Venza, you got in; maybe the one you can drive from your computer chair?.... But that is not at all true. I have driven both and they are both whisper quiet, and the only main difference in the interior is the placement of a few electronic components, and very VERY slight design differences. And, as far as power goes, they both use 3.5 liter engines, and the Lexus gets 275hp vs the Venza's 268hp, so again, virtually no difference there. Maybe you're comparing a low-end Venza with gray interior to a high-end Lexus with an upgraded tan leather interior, I dont know, but it sounds like you wanted to be disappointed just because of your preconceptions of Lexus vs. Toyota.

This is proven by how you say "there is no comparison", when the car interior AND exteriors are nearly identical. Similar to if you bought something in a retail store for $200, and the next day you find a comparable model with high ratings for only $50 that people say is just as good, if not better. Oh well, I guess what it mainly comes down to is if you have an extra $10,000 dollars to blow. I'm not at all saying the one is better than the other, but for the money and for people who are looking to get good value out of their car, I'm just saying you can really get the same thing with a few design differences for $10,000 less.

@ jkenley, did you adjust the seats? I am 6'1" and feel there is plenty of room; of course, I dont really need anything else in the backseats in the car, but Venza actually has more cargo space than the 2009 and 2010 RX 350; Lexus has 38 feet of cargo room and 84 total cubic feet of interior space, whereas the Venza has 42 feet of cargo room and 94 cubic feet of interior space.
  • xGuessWhoxxGuessWhox Member Posts: 20
    Venom,

ok, it's rather obvious. which toyota dealer do you work for? there's no need to be defensive and insult a regular joe consumer who's done a totally unbiased comparison of both vehicles. I was actually excited about checking out venza after seeing it on the toyota website and test driving the rx. I test drove the top end venza. sure, you'll get a fairly good value car in venza, but if you want high quality end, you just cant top lexus. ask any lexus owner.

also, you'd have to be pretty blind if you really think "the car interior AND exteriors are nearly identical." nice try, but that was a pathetic attempt. come up w/ a better sales line next time and if you want to earn any credibility, prepubescent insulting is the last technique you should use.
    I dont work for any Toyota dealer, I'm a consumer who can fairly look at two cars, ignoring the names, and state which is the better value for the cost. Its when people make BS statements like "The car just feels and looks cheap and the drive is nowhere smooth or quiet as Lexus and I was disappointed after mere few minutes into the test drive" that I come with the response I did. You keep talking about how much better the Lexus is with "high-end" this and that, when they literally have the same features. Did you not see this post?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1c3447/17

Unless by high quality you mean 'The Lexus has wood grain on the wheel, and the Venza doesn't', you must be flat-out "blind" to not see the similarities in the car. Especially after looking at the side-by-side pics in the post above. There is nothing cheap about either car, they both have the same features and options available; the layout is the only difference. If you want to argue that the Lexus is better because the placement of the center vents are horizontal rather than vertical, have fun talking to yourself.

And as far as the exterior differences...:

Okay, connect the Lexus headlights to the center grille, add some more curves and smooth indents to the car body, and you have what looks pretty damn similar to a Venza. Or vice versa. Your argument really has no grounds.
    "..feels and looks cheap..."

Isn't Lexus marketing oriented to make exactly these points..??

So why do you find it surprising that someone takes that position...??
    If the 2010 rx is a fancy Venza then the size of the 2010 rx has shrunk. I know the Venza looks like the RX from the outside and that is the very reason I went to look at the venza. Once we got into the venza we immediately said that it was too small and never took it out for a test drive. We have ridden in an rx, we have an es 330 and when it's in the shop we get an rx as a loaner. No comparison in size, the rx is definately bigger.
    Yes, Lexus marketing probably does aim to make those points, but I dont think that necessarily means that the Toyota designers just have to "accept" the role as the obviously lower-priced version, and with this specific model I think they blurred the line a bit. I'm sure maybe next year Lexus will add a bit more to differentiate itself from the Venza after seeing how Toyota stepped their game up, but as of now I don't think they were expecting this type of competition. Either way, I like Lexus, and I like Toyota, just saying there is not a significant apparent difference between these two specific models.
  • terry79terry79 Member Posts: 27
    I haven't driven the Venza mainly because of the 20" tires. I've heard comments that the ride could be smoother if they had 17" or 18" tires. I mean what's next,
    22" rims with spinners. Some people that have bought the highlander don't even like the 19" tires because of treadwear issues and only two or three tires that
    are currently available. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'd rather more rubber than more steel.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't like those big wheels on the Highlander and Venza either. Not only will they probably wear faster and be expensive to replace, but they likely hurt ice and snow traction as well. I think a smaller dimension wheel would allow more rubber and a better ride, as well as much lower replacement costs.
    Yeah, but those 20" wheels make an otherwise fairly ho-hum cross-over look pretty hip. That was my reaction when I first saw a photo of a Venza. All I saw was those huge wheels, and thought, "what the hell model is that?" :shades:
    I like the Venza, but the difference between it and the RX is more than just "the layout." The RX is simply more luxurious and the 2010 model differentiates itself quite well from the Venza. The 2010 RX will likely start at least $10K higher than the base Venza V6. It should look and feel more expensive because it is.

What this means to you all depends on your expectations. Those with "Lexus" expectations are likely to conclude that the leather isn't as soft, the woodgrain trim far inferior to real wood, and the ride much too rough. Those with "Toyota" expectations will probably find the Venza to be one of the better interiors in the Toyota lineup.

I'm sure the product managers at Toyota and Lexus mull over positioning extensively when planning their respective products. Even the wheel choice probably reflects the differing target audience. The Venza has 20" wheels that look great.

The 2010 RX has 19" wheels (with 18" standard) -- sacrificing appearance for what's probably a quieter, smoother ride. I saw a 2010 RX with 18" wheels in person today and was disappointed with the way it looked, especially when it was parked near a Venza with those 20" wheels. ;)
    "..look pretty hip.."

You can ride in comfort on 17" or 18" wheels are you can have perfect strangers think you are "hip".....
    If I could buy a new F/awd 2010 RX with the Venza'a upcoming DFI I4 my order would already be in.
    Venomshot, are the 2010's out already? I'm curious to see one myself as I will be turning in a vehicle in May.
    You can ride in comfort on 17" or 18" wheels are you can have perfect strangers think you are "hip".....

Vehicle appearance can be an important factor and wheel choice can play a big role in the overall "look" of the vehicle.

There are a lot of other factors, so the question isn't as simple as you posed it. Personally, I like the way the 20" wheels look, I think the ride quality is firm but still very acceptable, and I'm glad Toyota took some risks on the design that they wouldn't have on a more general-purpose model such as the Camry or Highlander.
    People have mentioned (not just on this forum) that replacing the 20 in tires are very expensive. I did a quick check on TireRack.com

17 in tires are $98.000 each and 20 in tires are $102.00 each. Not a significant difference.

As far as ride goes, I'm very pleased. Just for reference both my wife and I have owned Lexus vehicles for the last 10 years.
    The 2010 RX 350 goes on sale in February, I believe. They are starting to arrive at the ports now. I saw at least a dozen of them awaiting processing at my local Lexus receiving area.

I don't think pricing has been released. On other message boards, the Canadian pricing and packaging was shared, but nothing yet for the US. The rumor was a $1.5K increase over 2009 MSRPs. The 2009 base MSRP is $38.5K, so I would guess a base of $40K + typical options.

The RXs I saw looked better in person than the photos and it'll have all the features of the Venza plus more. I'm guessing a $8-10K premium over a similarly equipped Venza, though.
  • margaritacmargaritac Member Posts: 6
    I am really researching my options in the mid SUV area, of course price is important but so is fuel consumption and safety. Does anyone have any thoughts on the new Mercedes, havent test drove it yet, but its next on the list
    I'm interested to see what other features the Lexus will have, because I think that is really what it comes down to... The Venza is comfortable as hell, I drove it for hours on end and over 100 miles in the past 2 days and didnt have a single ache in my body; I drove it on backroads with a lot of twists and turns, as well as on the freeway, and felt in total control both in steering and acceleration.

Im not trying to shoot the Lexus down, now, but what else could they add that a fully equipped Venza doesn't have? Maybe some previous Lexus owners can pitch in, what features were there in the past that you haven't seen on other cars that you are looking forward to in the 2010? Hopefully by the end of this thread, people trying to choose between the two cars will be able to get a fair comparison on both values and make an educated decision. :)

As far as I know, a few features that the Venza doesn't have that I'm guessing the 2010 RX might have for its "added value" are some sort of auto-parking feature, maybe OnStar?
    "but what else could they add that a fully equipped Venza doesn't have?"

Power memory seats, to start. Or how about a rear seat DVD entertainment unit? Real wood trim? Adaptive headlights? Or even a simple thing like gas hood struts?
    Im not trying to shoot the Lexus down, now, but what else could they add that a fully equipped Venza doesn't have?

It's the standard trickle-down approach to features. Many features that we take for granted today on many Toyotas started as high-end features on a Lexus.

Based on the Lexus press release, there are a bunch of new features not available on the Venza:

USB/iPod connectivity
    Dual screen rear DVD entertainment system
    Hard-drive based navigation system with Remote Touch controller
    Pre-collision system with radar cruise control
    Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (lights swivel when you turn)
    10 standard airbags (vs 7 in the Venza)
    Park-assist
    Heads-up display
    Ventilated front seats (cooling and heating)
    Wide-view side camera (in addition to rear camera)

A lot of these things will trickle down to Toyota models, the same way Optitron gauges, HID headlights, and even navigation systems made their way from Lexus to Toyota.
  • soonercatsoonercat Member Posts: 48
    Waiting to try the I-4 but the loaded FWD V-6 Navi leather was $35,000. Pretty steep. The Lexus will be $43,000 with same equipment,maybe more. We have a 2007 Lexus ES 350 and it is three notches better than the camry V-6 with leather while I say the Venza is only one notch less than the RX. Tulsa gets an RX on Feb 17th . Will drive then and see for myself if Lexus better or not. Hard to tell from photos. The Venza fake wood is pleasing unlike the Highlander. the Venza leather is pleasing unlike the Highlander. Of course, go for a base I-4 Venza add leather package and likely invoice price of $27,000 out the door. Makes the lexus seem pretty steep. Time will tell.
    Lexus announced the base price of the 2010 RX350:

FWD: $36,800 + $825 destination
    AWD: $38,200 + $825 destination

These prices are actually about $900 cheaper than the 2009 base. Keep in mind thought that the cloth-equipped base is going to be pretty tough to find.

Today I saw a FWD with the Premium package (I think that's what it's called) + Comfort Package + Navigation + Heads-Up display and some other misc. options. Together, the options added $11K to the price, bringing the total to almost $49K.
    Portable/handheld GPS/Nav is a lot more convenient and a LOT more cost effective.
  • lbertolberto Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone driven the new 2.7 L - 4 cylinder? I am considering ordering a new Venza, but I am curious about the smaller engine.
    Comments???
  • smr36smr36 Member Posts: 59
    but didn't drive either. Both have lots of the latest electronics and would make anyone proud to own however, IMO the RX is in another league as far as quality of materials, cabin layout and comfort. Decked out with Nav, premium packages etc. the RX costs upwards of $10k more than the Venza 3.5. Is it worth it? I think it is. Whichever you buy would be a good decision.
    If the RX were available with new I4 it would be a better valve than the Venza. otherwise...

NOT...!!

In a year or two the I4 will be upgrading to DFI and then maybe put into the RX.

Or even better an the new I4 gets DFI and Atkinsonization and we get a highly fuel efficient RXh.

Meanwhile I think I might be in love with the CX-7.

But only if my '01 F/awd RX300 divorces me....
This discussion has been closed.