Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• jmdyaljmdyal Member Posts: 3
    First time poster...recently bought a '03 SE V-8 love it so far. A friend mentioned a synthetic oil called Royal Purple...has anyone heard of it or have any input about using a synthetic oil at all? The Royal Purple(.com) site recommends 2000 miles on a new engine before using it. Is it worth it...$60+/case? Any info would be appreciated.
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    I would not put any oil that is not recommended by the manufacture, could void your vehicle warranty. My thinking is if it really helps the gas mileage/wear & tear, the manufacture R&D would have used it to gain a competitive edge.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    Besides the stone interior and dropped exterior colors, the SE seems to be the same as 03. All the features are on the 03 listed below.

Changes for '04:
    Colors red and green are dropped
    Charcoal seat on SE changed to stone
    Color white now available on the Limited
    3rd row seat for the SR5 and Limited, not SE
    All cladding is now color keyed to car color

Several items now standard on the SE/SR5: (I think Limited's options are unchanged)

Towing Pkg (V8) (all models)
    Tow hitch ball mount kit (all models)
    Black running board (SE SR5)
    fog lamps (SE SR5)
    HD battery (all models)
    All weather guard (all models)
    Privacy glass (SR5)
    P265/70R16 7J Alum (SR5)
    Tonneau cover (SE SR5)

The SE requires the SP package which includes a host of things:
    Sport Package
    (NH) X-REAS Shock Absorber
    Silver Radiator Grille
    Silver Door Handle/Rear License plate garnish
    Color Keyed Heated Outside Mirrors
    Tilt + Telescopic steering wheel
    Silver Roof Rack and Black Cross Bar
    Hood Scoop
    Two Tone Seat Fabric
      17" Alloy Wheels w/P265/65R17 7.5JJ
    17" Tires w/ raised white lettering
    17" Alloy Spare Tire
    13" Front Disc Brake
    Silver Accent Shift Knob
    (NE) Leather Steering Wheel w/cruise & audio switch
  • aheckaheck Member Posts: 36
    Galileo757, thanks for the comments. That's good to know you could still get an '04 for significantly less than sticker. $800 over invoice isn't too bad for a model in the first few months of the model year.

So, assuming you can get an '03 at invoice, it will take you around $1000 more to get the '04 and then add another $1000 for the 3rd row seating option.... those are the numbers my wife wanted. I'm not too convinced that the rear seat is worth a few grand more. Especially since I'm itching for the new truck now! :)

Aaron
  • maxwell17maxwell17 Member Posts: 6
    Is the hole you are describing 'behind' the rear of the sunroof opening, or next to it?? What color is the rail with the hole in it?? When ours rattles, it sounds like it comes from the entire thing, so it's tough to pinpoint. The kicker is this: I took the truck to the dealer Friday, and of course the rattle did not occur. It only happens on rough roads, and there are none within miles of the dealership. I gave them the TSB's, but was informed that they have to duplicate the problem, as a car CAN be lemon lawed for a simple rattle that they can't fix after four tries. Also, the service mgr told me the TSB's were for an adjustment to the sunshade. I know the sunshade is not the problem, as we have grabbed onto everything we can (including the sunshade) when the rattle starts, trying to find the cause.

Thanks for describing the fix and answering these questions. This is driving me NUTS and I know the dealer will never be able to duplicate it.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    It is going to be available BUT it conflicts with the sunroof, navigation, and upgraded radios.

So, in reality, I don't expect to see many around.
  • aheckaheck Member Posts: 36
    >>It is going to be available BUT it conflicts >>with the sunroof, navigation, and upgraded >>radios

Is this mainly because the rear 3rd row seat would cover up the rear speakers? Can you explain this statement more, pls?

Aaron
    Educated guesses:

Radio - Speaker conflict
    Navigation - No place for the unit
    Sunroof - Not enough head room
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I would expect the moon roof to be where it is now, over the driver's and passenger's seats.
     Why would this be different because of a 3 rd row seat ?

BTW I like your TH I.D.
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    Glad I could help out in your purchasing decision, I'm thinking you can get a better price on the 2004 by pre-ordering from the dealer than to wait until the 2004 actually show-up at the dealership since they will not incur a financial charge for the vehicle. Funny thing I noticed on the 2003 vehicle window sticker listed as standard equipment, full tank of gas, which is long over due and of course they will put premium fuel in it..lol
    The moonroof retracts into the roof when open, thereby lowering ceiling (head) clearance. Thats why there is a conflict with a 3rd seat, since I believe it will sit higher than the second row.
  • ricadriasricadrias Member Posts: 17
    you said you got rid of your v6 4 runner se at
    a loss of 1,500. how did you do it? how much did
    you get the car for, how much did you pay in taxes
    and licenses, and how much did you sell it for?
    i am surprised that you only lost 1,500. i was trying to trade my 03 4 runner for a honda pilot
    and i would be taking a $4,000-$5000 hit if i did that.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    Hmmm... I failed to notice the conflicts. Well, the navigation system requires the premium 10 speaker stereo, which cannot be accommodated because the rear seat goes where the rear speakers go (and I think the sub-woofer too).

Glad I don't need a 3rd seat ;-)
  • rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    The 3rd row of seats might conflict with the nav system dvd unit and the air suspension mechanism. I believe there is a post that says no nav and air suspension with 3rd row seats.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Strange...Toyota can fit it all in a Lexus GX470...more market differentiaton cr*p I guess. Rward posted that the only thing you can't get with the third row option for the '04 4Runner is the rear air suspension. I have really enjoyed the rear air suspension for hauling heavy loads. That would be a tough choice for me now. Does it make sense that you need the air suspension if you have folks in the third row? I guess not to Toyota. The Nav is worth every penny.
    Thanks for the input. The manual states to use Toyota Oil or its equivalent...it also says 5W-30 and mine came from the dealer with 10W-30, but I'm down south so 10W-30 may be better. About the Royal Purple...it is API certified (as Toyota recommends) and says it will not void warranties...of course that would be a battle I'd rather avoid.
    Sorry, there are other conflicts, I just failed to notice them on my sheet. No NAV, no premium radio, I guess because they have 2 speakers and the sub-woofer at the back of the SUV. No double decker cargo system, no rear air suspension.

TH (3rd seat) conflicts with:
    CM - double deck cargo
    SR - Sun roof
    DJ - JBL 3 in 1, 10 SPKR
    EJ - JBL 3 in 1, 6 CD, 10 SPKR
    NV - JBL 3 in 1 with NAV, 10 SPKR
    NF - Rear air suspension

and deletes:
    tonneau cover
    Trunk & Deck Carpet
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Regarding the third row seat, I will believe it when I see it. I heard the same rumor with the last generation model.
  • rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    There are tough sacrifices for the 3rd row of seats. 3rd row seats in the runner is likely to create more market harm than benefit. Some other SUVs have 3rd row seats and everything else.
    I would not give up NAV, air suspension, sunroof and a half decent audio system for two stools that also block my peripheral vision when they are folded up.

BTW all the conflicts listed by rward make sense. Even the sunroof, since that would require an additional shape of headliner.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If you look at the GX470, you'll notice that it is 3" taller than the 4Runner -- 74.6 in. versus 71.6 in. That extra height was probably engineered into the vehicle to reduce those conflicts.
  • asdfasdf Member Posts: 9
    I don't see anywhere in the manual saying Synthetic is not recommended!
    I try Mobil 1 fully Syn at 5k and it makes my V8 even smoother, and mileage increase slightly. However I start to smell sulphur more often. Man, embarrassed! Is Syn the trigger?

I am in N. California, Chevron 87 fuel.

>I would not put any oil that is not recommended >by the manufacture, could void your vehicle >warranty. My thinking is if it really helps the >gas mileage/wear & tear, the manufacture R&D >would have used it to gain a competitive edge.
    Recently purchased an '03 SE V-8...noticed that it does not have visors w/mirrors (very thick visors by the way). Checked my 4 runner brochure and it lists visors w/mirrors as standard equipment on the SR5. So I assumed that they would be standard on all models. I called my salesperson and he was quite confused(as he was during most of the sale) and said he would check on it. A few minutes later the new car manager (who I dealt with for most of the sale) called and asked a few questions and said that with all the models(?) that some visors do not come with mirrors. I told him about the brochure and how it was pretty odd to not have them as standard. He also said he would check. Minutes later a woman from the dealership called, asked me the color of my visors and stated that visors w/mirrors would be at the dealership in two days and all I had to do was stop by and have them installed! So, I guess the question is...was I supposed to have the mirrors or did the dealership do me a favor? Just curious...and to let everyone know that sometimes it DOESN'T hurt to ask.
  • joebruinjoebruin Member Posts: 1
    The oil filter is underneath on the driver's side. You have to take off the front metal skid plate (there are two of them, 4 bolts each). I took off the second skid plate in order to get to the drain plug, then found the plastic door on the second skid plate, so you can get to the drain plug without removing the second skid plate. Don't know what a noninterference engine is, so can't help you there.

>Just purchased a new 4 runner V8 and have a few >questions on the V8 engine. Where is the exact >location of the oil filter and what is needed to >change it, like on the side or bottom? Is the V8 >engine noninterference?, just in case the timing
    >belt should break in the future.
    >Thanks a much!
    I got a notice from Honda of America saying that my 03 Sport was not equipped with the visors with mirrors and to get them free from my dealer. I was going in for an oil change yesterday so I gave the Service Dept a call to see if they could change them. I got "call parts." I called "parts".
     "Parts" first reaction was "call service." I explained that Service told me to call parts. Then I get what's your vin # ? I said "the interior is charcoal, go to your computer and look it up." Click
      This was the second and last time I am taking my 4Runner to that dealer.
      First of all, a greasy mechanic does not put covers on the seat, and is tall challenged. He leaves my seat so far forward and angles the seat almost all the way back so he can do the gangster lean. I can't even get in without moving the seat back from it's full forward position. ( I am 6-1) They don't wash my vehicle either.
     Worst of all, the dealer sent me a bunch of coupons. One said "if we can't change your oil in 29 minutes , the next oil change is free. It took them 45 minutes. I said "I guess my next one is free." "We can't change the oil in a 4Runner in 30 minutes. This doesn't apply to 4 Runners. " I asked for a comment sheet to rate their surly attitude and total disregard for customer satisfaction. "We don't have anything like that."
      I explained that I traded in a Honda Odyssey on the 4 Runner. At Honda they put paper covers on the seat and on the front mat so not to get grease on the vehicle. They also washed it. All their service forms had a mail in post card with free postage. They had boards full of outstanding ratings.
     The one time they didn't wash my Odyssey, I put that on the card. The service manager called me at home and said my next oil change was free and to plan on leaving the Odyssey for 6 hours so they could detail it.
     I told the Toyota service manager that he should send his people down the street to the Honda service department for training in how to do service. He gave me an extremely rude reply.
     I told him his mother was a hamster and his father smelled of elderberries.
     I am going to call my old Honda dealer and ask if they'll change oil in Toyota 4 Runners.
     The fact that I bought my 4 runner at the Toyota dealer didn't make any difference
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    "I got a notice from Honda of America saying that my 03 Sport was not equipped with the visors with mirrors and to get them free from my dealer."

You mean Toyota of America right?
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    With a horrible attitude like that it is a miracle you even bought the vehicle from that dealer! I would run from that dealer asap! You deserve plastic seat covers, paper floor mats and a quick wash when you take your Toyota in for service. My dealer is awesome, usually performing minor work at no charge. But I have been in your situation before, even having the dealer service department put a big dent, looked like a ping hammer dent, when I took my car in for a basic oil change. I couldn't prove they did it, but it was not there when I dropped my car off. This incident occured after having heated words with the service department manager. This manager wanted to perform work on my car that was not necessary and I disagreed with him. Not to mention the work was overly priced.
    In regard to your seat position, ditto for me too. Everytime I get back into my car the seat has been adjusted for P. Diddy and the a/c is on 'freeze' high blast mode. Can't the attendant drive the vehicle 30 yards w/o adjusting the a/c and seat? At least turn the a/c off when you park. Leaving the a/c on when you turn your engine off is a big pet-peeve of mine.
    I bought my 4Runner at that dealer because as I found out from another salesman there, my salesman left to go back into TV news. He started selling cars because he wanted to stop travelling the world to stay home with his wife who had cancer.
     He left not on the best terms with the owner, who found out he was not making as much money as they thought he should have.
      I just went to look, but my salesman said, I'll give you a non negotiable price. " Since I knew what MSRP and invoice were from checking around, I was curious what this price was. So I said,
    "OK what is the non negotiable price ?" He quoted me $200 above invoice. I said. I'll take it.
     I had no idea that the salesman did not like the dealership, and was selling the vehicles at minimum.
  • legran22legran22 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering purchasing either the V8 Limited 4 Runner or the Lexus GX470. For the nearly $10,000 extra, what does a person get except for a vehicle that is 3" taller?
    I am surprised the sales manager didn't veto the deal, especially if this salesman was on the way out. Hey, I bought mine at one dealer and went to another for servicing. Bottomline, you deserve to be treated fairly and with respect for you and your property. This dealer sounds fishy.
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    A larger payment, and a little wood of course.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    a taller vehicle, which means a higher center of gravity.

Bob
  • coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    And don't forget the ugly, out-of-date, pain in the [non-permissible content removed] sideways-opening liftgate.
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Also, Probably a lot more weight to move around with the added "luxury" items.
    Higher insurance premiums! Higher service bills!
  • bpl646bpl646 Member Posts: 4
    has anyone bought a warranty from this site?Was it honored at another toyota dealership?Just want to make sure its the real thing before buying anything
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    That site is run by a dealership in the Midwest. They sell the genuine Toyota plans that can be purchased at many dealerships and they are honored at all of them. You can shop their prices at other stores.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    The dealer in Coquitlam, BC, Canada, where I had my service done, was arrested for illegally selling Canadian cars in the US, and his dealership was confiscated!!!

But, yes, unless that is the only dealer in town, if you get treated badly, take your hard-earned cash elsewhere. That's how it works in capitalism
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    What are elderberries?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    isn't air suspension standard on the GX?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• dmcypresstxdmcypresstx Member Posts: 6
    "I told him his mother was a hamster and his father smelled of elderberries." Another insult from one of the funniest movies of all times -Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    Elderberry is a berry which among other things, can be used for wine making. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques30.asp

Now back to the 4Runner discussion....
    > First of all, a greasy mechanic does not
    > put covers on the seat, and is tall challenged.
    > He leaves my seat so far forward and angles the
    > seat almost all the way back so he can do the
    > gangster lean. I can't even get in without
    > moving the seat back from it's full forward
    > position.
    >( I am 6-1)
    > pat84

> In regard to your seat position, ditto for me
    > too. Everytime I get back into my car the seat
    > has been adjusted for P. Diddy
    > sacstate1

I find that both of these remarks to be bigoted and really don't have any place in this forum. There is no such thing as "tall challenged", but the references to "gangster lean" and P. Daddy" were insensitive and unnecessary.

Perhaps you would like it if the shorter person drove your car with the seat in it's original position and crashed your expensive car into something or somebody. If someone drives my car I want them to adjust the seat and mirrors so that they can drive it safely. When I get back into it I can put everything BACK the way I like it. It's a whole 10 seconds out of my day, about what the mechanic spent.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Thanx, I'm not a wine drinker or Monty Python fan.
  • deandersdeanders Member Posts: 9
    pat84, what you describe is deplorable, I would get a hold of someone higher up the Toyota chain and file a complaint. The least they could do is try and adjust the seats back near where they were. I don't think they should mess with adjustments at all. And "crashing it into someone or something", c'mon, that made me laugh. From the lot to the service bay, what is it, 50 feet? Or is the lot on a freeway 5 miles away?

Rward99: "I find that both of these remarks to be bigoted and really don't have any place in this forum. There is no such thing as "tall challenged", but the references to "gangster lean" and P. Daddy" were insensitive and unnecessary."

Are you serious? You took offense to that? I read right by it and didn't blink an eye. In fact I chuckled, I thought it was funny. The last thing on my mind was some "political correctness" crap or whatever. Don't try and make a mountain out of a mole hill, the remark was made all in fun and should be taken at nothing more than that.
  • resumespeedresumespeed Member Posts: 52
    I always seem to get the "P. Diddy" seat treatment whenever I take my vehicle in for service, not only that sometimes the radio station has been changed and other stuff moved around. Makes you wonder if they don't use our vehicles as "loaners" for the employees for lunch breaks!
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks for the detail rward. I'll beat the dead horse a bit more. I was looking and don't see where the sunroof would interfere. The recess outline only goes back over the second row. I can't reallly see where a 4Runner would conflict on the air suspension since they are equipping GX470's with air suspensions on the same assembly line. Go 8 speakers on the stereo system. Is eight enough? Giddy up.

I was wondering about that extra 3 inches height on the GX470. The 4Runner barely clears the airport parking garage here. Guess you have to park a GX470 on the height (un)challenged lot. The P. Diddy gansta lean comment may have been a hair over the top. :-)
    Installing the sunroof lowers the entire ceiling height - thereby not leaving enough headroom for a third row of seats that would sit higher than the second row.
    Those comments were made by 2 separate posters.
     I was responsible for the "gangsta lean" comment. It was meant as a humorous comment about the fact that the service dept, mechanic left my front seat all the way forward, with the seat back reclined quite a ways.
     I had to move the seat rearward in order to get in. Add to that the fact that there were no seat protectors used and that that my front seat is soiled with grease, "inconsiderate, short, sloppy, greaseyast moron" is more appropriate.
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    Thanks to those who have been posting their experiences on this issue!

I had the vehicle in to the dealer for this issue. They did some testing in order to show when the fan is engaged as a function of coolant temperature. They have sent the data in to their "technical factory rep" and are awaiting a reply.

What we do know is:
    -They agree that there shouldn't be such a dramatic power loss from the fan.
    -They agree that what we're seeing is from the fan.
    -The condition happens on my vehicle at outside ambient temperatures as low as 87 F.

I talked to the dealer's mechanic that has been helping on this about it. He said that it is more of a function of engine temperature than of outside ambient temperature. Also engine temperature is a function of how much load the engine is being subjected to.

That makes sense, however in my case I'm not hot-rodding around, driving up steep hills or towing anything in order to induce the problem (although it's certainly more noticable when doing those things). If it's this easy to cause with easy driving, why isn't the problem more pervasive on other 4.7l V8 equipped vehicles in a wide range of operating conditions?

The "Click and Clack" story you hear about that this all reminds me of is where someone's car is repeatedly overheating when idling or with stop-and-go driving, but works fine when driving faster. This occurs when the viscous clutch fails in a mode that it never engages. At higher speeds there's enough airflow without the fan that the problem only shows up in slow driving or idling conditions.

The reason I bring this story up is that the the fan shouldn't have to be fully engaged while driving at higher speeds. There should be enough air flow without it (or at least with it only partially engaged). The added air flow should cause the temperature to drop enough that the fan disengages (or at least is not fully engaged).

One additional point that I now have clarification on is with how the viscous clutch is controlled. It is NOT electronically controlled (like some or all current GM vehicles are) and simply has a temperature sensor inside itself (like most vehicles with a front-back oriented crankshaft have had for years).

I'll report back when we hear back from the factory.

Please update us if you have any new information on how your vehicle is behaving relative to this issue.

-Eric
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    rentschl, thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this. Some parts of this puzzle me.

First, I can't imagine how the fan could create much of a power loss, especially at highway speeds. I think you've described a loss that's probably in the tens of horsepower, and that doesn't make sense relative to what a fan needs, especially at speed.

You're right about the viscous clutch operation being non-electronic. It's described in the maintenance manual a little. To be more specific about its operation, the degree of coupling depends on the temperature of the air going past the fan, air which has been warmed by the radiator and A/C condenser. Higher temps=stiffer coupling and higher fan speeds. Simple and effective, and the only odd thing (on my V6 at least) is how the coupling is stiff for the first 10-16 seconds after start-up, probably due to the internal fluid settling some when not spinning for a while.

I agree with your assumption about the fan not being needed as much at higher speeds. It's probably drawing only a little horsepower then. The fan is always spinning, though, due to some residual coupling. That's a desirable thing, to make sure that the clutch body is always drawing a "sample" of the air past the radiator/condenser to get the temperature.

My opinion (I wish it were worth more) is that you've got a problem with the engine management system or one of its sensors. At high temperatures it's backing off on timing or doing something with fuel flow or mixture. Unless this only has happened on one tank of unusually terrible gas, the problem should be reproducible and detectable from the OBD-II port. I wonder if your dealer has the ability to use something like the "Car Chip" or other device to do some data logging while driving at high ambient temps. I suspect it would be very tough to diagnose this kind of problem without data logging or a lot of parts swapping, test driving, and educated guesses.