Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Allies With Fiat

15678911»

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Now I believe you are in the Boston area, so I don't see you as a perspective buyer. Driving in that town you need some metal around you because the lack of following the road laws means its like driving bumper cars there, right? But heck, you're airport can be a challenge too!

Yes I'm in Boston. You don't need metal around you - what you need are nerves of steel, the unwillingness to blink and an understanding of how we interpret the rules of the road.

As for the airport, it was just named the most social airport in the country as more people check facebook at Logan than any other airport in the country. I attribute that to the delays.

Back on topic - you're probably right. I'm not a prospective Dart customer - at least not for myself.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Funny! Sometimes Logan approaches need nerves of steel too.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Proper car for driving in Boston:

2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Ya know, that 100 worst list is a little hard to take with a Trabant only finishing in 9th place.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And no Freelander. What were they thinking?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    It could be argued that, with the considerable help from the bankruptcy, Fiat saved Chrysler. It now appears that Chrysler's resurgence may save the ailing Fiat Group. Interesting how things work out!

If Chrysler and Fiat ultimately merge, as planned, and survive or thrive, Sergio Marchionne's vision and ability to execute will deserve much of the credit.
    Yep, Europe's economy is hurting but Chrysler's US sales are up 20%.

Chrysler's April up 20%, GM down 8.2%, Ford down 5% (Detroit News)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I saw my first Fiat 500C up close at the bank yesterday. Asked the owner what he thought. He loves driving it, though it is his wife's and he has to fight for every chance behind the wheel. It was just half the length of my Nissan Frontier PU.
    From today's Detroit Free Press...

"Fiat and Mazda said today they have agreed to form an alliance to codevelop a roadster, or two-seat sports car, to be built at Mazda’s plant in Hiroshima, Japan, starting in 2015.

The memorandum of understanding calls for the development and production of a new roadster for the Mazda and Alfa Romeo models based on Mazda’s next-generation MX-5. The two automakers also said they have agreed to discuss additional opportunities for cooperation in Europe..."

Could this be the percursor to a broader alliance, or, possibly, an eventual merger between Fiat-Chrysler and Mazda?
    GMTA. :-)

steve_, "Mazda - Does it have a good future in US?" #1970, 23 May 2012 6:15 am

Broader alliance yes. Don't think a merger is in the cards (unless Sergio can get Mazda for free). I bet they follow the route that Mazda and Ford carved out; that seemed to work well.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,863
    Huh. So the original MX-5 came out and made the Spider look like an overpriced, underengineered pig. Alfa leaves the country with its tail between its legs. Spider eventually becomes FWD (ugh!). Now they will make a Spider as a rebadged MX-5. My how things change.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    "Fiat and Mazda said today they have agreed to form an alliance to codevelop a roadster, or two-seat sports car.."

The memorandum of understanding calls for the development and production of a new roadster for the Mazda and Alfa Romeo models based on Mazda’s next-generation MX-5."

That is great news for Alfa lovers, the world badly needs a rear wheel drive Alfa-Romeo Spider!

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

edited May 2012
    While the Miata/MX-5 has always been an outstanding car from the standpoint of value, all-around performance, and hitting the bullseye for its intended market, it's styling has arguably been just okay, but unexceptional. Styling is perhaps the key area where Alfa Romeo could add value to the Mazda-Alfa Spyder.

Alfas, and the British sportscars the Miata tried to replicate, have that difficult-to-describe ingredient, soul, which excites enthusiasts when the cars are new, and adds sentimental and monetary value when they get old. Why else would there continue to be so much demand for MGs, Triumphs, Austin-Healeys, and old Jaguars and Alfas?

Let's hope Alfa applies its magic to the next generation MX-5.
    edited June 2012
    "The high-performance version of Fiat's diminutive subcompact has been selling as fast as, well, an Abarth. And while customers can still find a few in dealer inventories around the country, those who place orders now will be put on a waiting list for the 2013 model, which is expected to ship this fall."

Chrysler stops taking wholesale orders for 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth (Detroit News)
    edited June 2012
    "On June 10, 2009, Chrysler Group LLC emerged from a government-sponsored bankruptcy wedded to Italian automaker Fiat SpA.

Marchionne paid nothing for a 20 percent stake in a bankrupt Chrysler, but he has since parlayed that into a controlling interest in an automaker that has spent the past year grabbing market share from its foreign and domestic competitors by the fistful. He has also paid back the American taxpayer years ahead of schedule, returned Chrysler to profitability, reopened shuttered factories and again gave people a reason to believe in Detroit. Instead of dragging Fiat down, as many analysts feared, Chrysler is now propping up its Italian parent as Fiat struggles to weather the worst economic storm to hit Europe since World War II."

Imported to Detroit: 3 years on, Marchionne proves doubters wrong (Detroit News)
    edited July 2012
    Know how people always think they have a "rare" car because only 486 of them were made in Fire Engine Red with a sunroof and a posi-trac rear end? Well, it may get a lot worse.

"The just-released 2013 Dodge Dart will encounter something rare in the car market: a menu offering as many as 100,000 possible combinations of colors and optional features.

Rivals including Ford Motor Co., Honda Motor Co. and Hyundai Motor Co. don't offer anything close to this level of à la carte customization. They are sticking with a model of offering a limited selection of options packages amid a desire to keep costs down and research suggesting many consumers find sifting through complex product decisions a tedious chore."

Looking at how people buy music now (no more albums or whole CDs), this makes a lot of sense to me, so long as the wait time isn't too long.

Ordering Car Features à la Carte (WSJ)
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Very very smart of them. One thing turning me off of Hyundai is the fact that I can't get ANY options on the Elantra or Veloster without getting that solar heating system they call a "panoramic sunroof."
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    edited July 2012
    Maybe a last gasp of the German influence, where MB and others for ages in the homeland and other places make everything optional, so you can get very base cars and very individual feature sets. Here for MB anyway, there are some packages, but many things can be chosen alone as well (jacks up the price). I know Porsche operates like this too.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Well Marchionne has laid out his future plans. Dodge will become more performance oriented while evidently Chrysler will expand and move down a bit to compete with Chevy, Ford, Toyota and other mainline vehicles. It appears pundits are panning this latter aspect saying Chrysler already has an upmarket image that they will be throwing away. However, I'm not really sure about that. Granted, the 300 is probably a Lincoln equivalent at a lower price (if you consider Lincoln near lux), but other products like the minivan or 200 surely are not. I'm thinking that the foreign nameplates really own the near lux and lux segment in the US today. Cadillac is certainly no longer dominant, but is trying. Lincoln is kind of like this segment's Chicago Cubs. Fiat's upper level products like Maserati and Alpha will enter the near lux/lux segment for the company. So this may be wise, particularly combining that with greater emphasis on Dodge and performance. Maybe they can even bring back Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge from the heydays of muscle! So what's the consensus out there?

edited May 2014

@bpizzuti said:
    One thing turning me off of Hyundai is the fact that I can't get ANY options on the Elantra or Veloster without getting that solar heating system they call a "panoramic sunroof."

My wife wants one of those and we're planning a move to sun country soon. I had the same concern as you. She claims that some study showed that the glass roof reflected more sunlight than metal and thus cars with them stay cooler.