Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006-2007 Accord 6spd Sedan

hottopichottopic Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Honda
I've been considering an 06 or 07 Accord 6spd sedan. It's somewhat of a rare car and i like it's looks but i'm getting mixed opinions. I drove one over the weekend and was impressed by it's performance. Does anyone out there own one of these or shed some light on this car?

Thanks.

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've never heard a bad thing about that car. It takes an already "sporty" family car and takes it a step further. A poor-man's Acura TL.
  • hottopichottopic Member Posts: 4
    Thanks.

I would take this thing over a TSX anyday. Seems like everywhere i turn there's a TSX. It's the same for Accord too but there weren't too many 6 spd sedans built.

Does anyone know how many were produced in 06 and 07?
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I prefer this size over the newer,larger accords. Well proven engine and no auto trans. to worry about. So what's not to like? Just find a well maintained example that was not driven hard.
  • greenicegreenice Member Posts: 41
    I have an 06 and love it. Not a single problem in almost 3 years.

It is fast, quiet, and surprisingly economical (I average 27 or mpg in 70% highway / 30% city driving). Moreover, I much prefer its size over the bloated current iteration.

Highly recommended!
    I'm looking for one as we speak. It's not that easy though. Because so few were built i'll probably have to pick one up out of state probably CA, NV or FL. It's definetely a fast car. As you stated, i'll be looking for a clean low mileage 6 spd.

Thanks.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I've had this car since Sept '06 and I still look forward to getting into it each time. I also decided on this car over the TSX mainly because of the power and size advantage, and the fact that there are barely any on the road. I have only seen 4 other ones on the roads over the last 2+ years at various cities along the east coast. The TL was in contention, too, but the price gap was too much at the time.

The nice thing is that it's not too flashy, so you stay under the radar. But, with the 17" type-s wheels and the dual exhaust, it's sporty enough to appreciate. I put the deck lid spoiler on mine and I was amazed at the styling it adds. The shifter is great...However, the only gripe I have is that on colder days before the car is warmed up, I notice a kink when trying to shift into 3rd. This happens maybe once a month on average, and it's an observation I also read about for a prior testing of a civic si.

The poor man's TL is definitely a good way to put it. The TL gets the edge in handling and a tighter suspension, but they're equally as quick because the TL has extra pounds to pull with it's bigger engine. If I drive like a jerk, my MPG's are around 22-23, but they usually hover in the 25-26 range, and 30 on the highway.

My one piece of advice would be to find one with the navigation option. That definitely adds to the looks of the interior and it's just fun to have! The fake carbon fiber looks really good in it too. I've had plenty of people get into it who were very impressed and surprised it was just an Accord.

All in all, it's an awesome car. Plus, the pudgy new Accords are ugly and don't offer the V6 with a manual anyway, so that's no fun. You're right when you say they're not easy to find. The dealer near me had two when I purchase mine, neither of which were in the color I wanted, so I had to drive 3 hours away to get the one I really wanted. Good luck in the search....you won't be sorry!

On a slightly separate note, it's coming time that I need new tires. I would like to get a slightly better handling tire...has anyone swapped out the factory tires for something else that they recommend?

...Sorry about the rambling!...I just knew I wanted this car the first time I saw it was available in this setup....and I have never regretted the decision.
    I would like to get a slightly better handling tire...has anyone swapped out the factory tires for something else that they recommend?

I have an '06 Accord Sedan (EX, I-4) with the stock Michelins. I'll be replacing them with the tires I currently have on my '96 Accord Sedan (LX, I-4); Bridgestone G009 tires. They are a High-Performance All-Season tire. Still fairly comfortable, a bit noisier than some touring tires, but grip extremely well in the dry, and do just fine in the wet, too.

Just a suggestion! ;)

Best of luck in your tire-shopping.
    Thanks for this info. I'm curious, what color did you want and what color did you end up getting?

If i still lived in CA i would get blk on blk. I'm living in CO for now and i think road chips would be real obvious on this color. I've seen a couple here in town but not very many. A neighbor had a charcoal colored one with a spoiler, tint and fog lights and i went crazy every time i saw it.

I drove one about 2 weeks ago and and i was impressed. It's such a fast car. There are only a few things that set it apart like the wheels and red insert in the V6 emblem. I'd like the silver with grey interior but silver with black seems to be available far more than the color combo i'm looking for. I'm like you, i wanted one from the time i knew this set up was available.
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    I wanted the graphite pearl (probably the charcoal you're talking about?) and that's what I ended up getting. It has the gray interior, which I guess was my preference! I traded in an '01 Accord black on black, which looked nice, but I'm in FL, so the black interior got a little too hot. I remember the silver one that was in the Motortrend comparison a couple of years ago...that was a sharp looking car, and I don't think you can go wrong with the black interior.

I want the fog lights, but I'm having a hard time justifying the $250 plus installation for them! I've seen knock-offs on ebay for well under $100, but I've also heard that the wiring needs some modification, which is over my head and I'm not sure how much more that would add to professional installation. Has anyone had success with the JDM foglights or similar?
    I love the graphite color, so much that I chose it! :)

• carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    Graphite Accord V6
    imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

Graphite is an interesting color and people says it's blue, grey, black, etc... i don't even know what color it is!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    This model of the Accord still looks very classy, nice looking. I really like that color too. A new model sometimes doesn't always look any better. This car will continue to hold its own.

I have always been impressed with the 4cyl Accord engine, I could imagine the V6 with a 6spd would be an excellent combination.
This discussion has been closed.