Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 LS Cooling Fan Alway Running... and Loud

DSvobodaDSvoboda Member Posts: 1
My 2002 LS radiator fan is always running and very loud. Does not matter if the engine is hot or cold. To me, it sounds like a fan speed control is stuck in high speed mode. The engine temp sensor appears to be working ok because the temp gauge is working properly and the engine is not over heating. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

Comments

• LincolnTechLincolnTech Member Posts: 3
    this can e alot of things...just because the temp sensor work in the car doesnt mean the ECT sensor is working right...you might want to check that with a live data scanner...(not a code reader)...and also put some manifold gauges on the ac system to see whats the high pressure...now if the high side is well abouve 200psi then thats the prob because these cars use he fan to cool the condensor....start there first
  • mortct1mortct1 Member Posts: 3
    I noticed that my 2004 Lincoln LS cooling fans are running allot when the car gets to normal operating tiemp. The gage doesn't move once it gets to temperature. It starys right in the middle. The cooling fans have started to run for no reason. It seems all the time, on the highway or in town they are always running. This is a new development. I haven't had any A/C service or power steering service done. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is happening. Please help... Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    I noticed that my 2004 Lincoln LS V8 cooling fans are running allot when the car gets to normal operating tiemp. The gage doesn't move once it gets to temperature. It starys right in the middle. The cooling fans have started to run for no reason. It seems all the time, on the highway or in town they are always running. This is a new development. I haven't had any A/C service or power steering service done. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this is happening. Please help... Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Could be low on coolant - wouldn't hurt to check.
    True, giving that a look too. The power steering fluid is at the add mark. From what I've read ther fans are hydrolic and run off of the power steering fluid. I'll top that off as well and see if that makes a difference.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I'm pretty sure by 2004 they had switched to electric fans.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Yes. 2003+ had electric fans.
  • scottyryanscottyryan Member Posts: 3
    I have an '01 LS V8 that seems to run the cooling fan very loud and all the time once the car reaches normal running temperatures. This all started when the cooling fan went bad and they replaced it about 5 months ago. Ever sense then it sounds like my car is going to lift off the ground whenever I drive it or it idles after a short distance. Its kind of embarrassing at a drive thru. I don't remember this being the case before they replaced the fan at the dealership. I had them check it but the mechanic said is sounded pretty quiet for a cooling fan. If you can hear the fan from inside the car with the windows up, that's not quiet in my book. Any suggestions?
  • chessieretchessieret Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 V8 Cooling fan always running when temp gauge reaches middle. Doesn't Overheat and if I turn the heat up high the fan goes off. I live in boston area and never had this fan run in winterwhile car was moving. only summer in bumpa to bumpa..........
    Sensor? Change coolant? Air Bubble?
  • cwalkeycwalkey Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2006 LS the fan ran when the gage was showing normal . this was in the winter ,wheh I turned on the heating fan the rad fan stopped. [At the time the car was parked in my drive way after the car was driven to get the coolent hot] When I cheked the rad to se if the thermostat had opend the rad was cold. I CHANGED THE THERMOSTAT AND THE RAD FAN WORKS THE WAY IT DID WHEN THE CAR WAS NEW.
  • austin3451austin3451 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem as all the ppl below. My 2001 Lincoln LS V6 started making a loud noise about 6 months ago, which was in the spring/summer, not heater needed. The fan is so loud that ppl know when I pull in because it sound like I am about the launch. Now, in addition to this, which is probably tied to this problem, it's getting cold outside and I tried to turn the heat on or the defrost during rain to clear the windows and the temp gauge to straight to hot and the light comes on. I turn the heat off and turn on the ac on a low temp, or any temp, just need the ac, and it cools the car back to normal. I replaced the thermostat yesterday thinking it may be stuck open, but when started, the same thing happened. Now I am just researching to see if this is something I can do, or if this is a bigger issue. This car has cost me a fortune to own, but is paid off, so I will make the repairs. 3 years ago, I replaced the actuator that controls the hydro fluid to make the ac work. Same thing was happening, overheating, but not ac. I corrected this problem after research. Is there something similar that could be causing this issue that is a small fix? I need heat, it's going to be 34 this week!!! PLEASE HELP
    Sounds like you have air in the coolant that gets worse when you engage the heater core (or the heater core is clogged). What usually happens is when the air pocket (which is filled with superheated steam) hits the engine temp sensor it reads really high. Try bleeding the system using the high mounted bleed valve (don't remember the exact location but it's at the top of the engine.

You might need to replace the hydraulic fan with an electric one.