Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Acura RDX

rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
edited July 2014 in Acura
2010 RDX will get a facelift. It will get that Power Plenum grille that Acura really likes. The Power plenum grille is the same grille as the 09 TL, RL, and TSX. Acura has decided to build a cheaper FWD model more more sales. That would make a nice base model. The gadgets should be upgraded. The Navigation system is all new for 2010. Features a 8.0" WVGA display thats much better than the current one that has some really nice features like XM NavWeather, Scenic routes, revised backup camera, better hardware and a 40 GB HDD,. The maps are stored on a 40 GB HDD that has a 12.4 GB partition for your favorite music.

There will be a USB port for your 5th gen and up iPod's and USB storage devices. Bluetooth will now have A2DP on tech package models so you can stream music from any phone that's A2DP compatible. There might be some more new changes but this is pretty much it. The 2010 Acura RDX will hit showrooms sometime in July to August time frame.

Comments

• teledatageekteledatageek Member Posts: 23
    Wondering more about the 2010. I have read the same info about the exterior and FWD but the electronics info you posted only seems to appear here....

When does Acura typically release "official" info on model changes?

I'm trying to make a decision between a 2009 and a 2010. Given the changes you think are in store for the gadgets, I would wait... Of course one also wonders what incentives will look like for a new model year.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    August-September might be when they announce information. Thats when Acura announces details but they have launched some stuff earlier. You may never know.
  • fred_1975fred_1975 Member Posts: 9
    Do you believe is worth to wait for the 2010 model or should I just go ahead and lease the 2009 version? I have the feeling that I will not get the good deal for the 2010 model as the one available now for the 2009.
    I think you can get a good deal for the 2010. I've seen a pic of the 2010 and it looks ok. If you can wait for the 2010 then it might be great. It's going to have some new improvements like USB/iPod integration and stuff like that.
  • teledatageekteledatageek Member Posts: 23
    It depends on how long you want to wait to get into an RDX. Seems like the 2010's won't be here until Sept/Oct. I thought by now we would have more details on what the changes will be other than the couple of spy shots and rumors.

You could also pick up a used 2008 and forget about the 2009. There isn't much difference between the 2007 - 2009. Then when the 2010's come out and you like the enhancements - upgrade. That's exactly what I'm doing. Saved a lot of $ (in my case @$10K) buying nice used 2008 a couple of months and enjoying the vehicle now - and won't take a bad hit to upgrade to a 2010.

I'm hoping keyless entry, iPOD integration (although I installed a DICE kit in my 2008), and whatever other techie upgrades (better NAV screen would be nice)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Sooner or later, maybe by 2010 MY, they will convert the engine to DFI w/CR of ~12:1, and either completely drop the turbo or simply detune/derate it, and thereby improve FE by up to 30%

Maybe even an Atkinson/Miller/West cycle engine with ~50% FE improvement.

One can hope/dream....
  • aellinsaraellinsar Member Posts: 3
    Can you please stop posting in every thread with this same argument, wwest?

Same post just yesterday o another forum: http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=24873

Long thread you started just two weeks ago on the subject: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=245212&page=1

Same post on a Mazda CX-7 forum: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123674784&page=4

Different Mazda forum, identical post as to this forum: http://mazdaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17701

2008, actually about Acura this time: http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682916

Here's a quote on, guess what, the same subject from May 16, 2007: "Yeah, I guess I'll just have to go ahead and do it to prove my position"

So go do it already, or send a resume to Honda/Toyota/Mazda. In the meantime, please stop spamming every car forum.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'd find it troubling if the same person posted contradictory views on different forums but none of that is partcularly relevant here. Let's stick to the designated topic and avoid making a topic of each other. Thanks!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    If you can educate 15% of the population of interest in the validity of an idea.....
  • bgillette79bgillette79 Member Posts: 17
    I want to know 100% what is going to happen to the Navi and interior options.

I want to know if there are any engine tweeks.

I want to know if what we have seen in Dec/Jan will really be what it looks like.

Anyone out there has has information???
    The render was shown to dealers so they probably have seen it. The engine tweaks will likely be the same. Might see somoe more HP but not too much. The FWD option is the big change though. This will help improve mileage. The Navi will likely be upgraded to the new Pioneer HDD system that uses a high res WVGA display. The Navi will use a 40 GB HDD that allocates 13 GB for music. It will definitely have the USB port for plugging in a 5th gen and up iPod. Of course the USB port can be used with flash drives and stuff like that. What I've shown you on vtec is what it's going to look like.
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    I wish they'd moderate the suspension some. My wife love the 09 RDX in terms of amenities, looks and interior but absolutely hated the jittery, firm suspension. She passed but would reconsider if Acura softens it some.
    The point of the RDX suspension is to set it apart from soft riding BODY ROLLING SUVs.

I loved how it drove and didn't think it was harsh at all even on rough roads. If you want a softer suspension you belong in a RAV4 or a CRV.

The only CHANGE I thing the RDX needs would be a fuel economy boost. Especially Highway numbers.

If the RDX got 20 city, and 27 highway it would be a small SUV killer!
  • hgileshgiles Member Posts: 66
    Would never touch a CRV. It is ridiculously slow.

Don't care for the quotidian interior of the RAV4.

My wife would be interested in the RDX if the suspension was somewhat softer. It is a matter of degree. Wouldn't want a soft marshmallow ride either.
    RDX would see a really significant improvement in FE via adoption of DFI, Direct Fuel Injection. Also, the use of a well designed VVT-i system would allow stardard Otto cycle mode for part throttle operations, base CR of maybe 15-16:1, Atkinson cycle mode during WOT turbo spool up, and then Miller cycle mode at full boost.

50% improvement in hwy FE..??
    So basically she wants the CRV with the Turbo 4 of the RDX. LOL

Have you considered this:

What you could do to "soften" the ride might be to actually put a set of 17inch rims on it with THICKER tires (maybe 65 profile). That would give you a little more added cushion over the 18inch tires with a 55profile.

Maybe a cheap and easy way to make the RDX how you want it, while still maintaining what is good about the RDX...Its Handling.
    Ya....I think you have been called out for repeatably offering this idea.

If only honda was as smart as you are. You should fill out an application for them and see if you can get the 2011 RDX to 30+mpg on the highway while still maintaining 240hp and 260lbft of torque. Oh ya...while being a 4000lb SUV.

lol

In all seriousness if they could just tweek things a little bit and get to 26-27mpg HW that would be good enough over 24mpg HW that people see right now.
    At what price would you buy a 2009 tech instead of waiting it out for a 2010 tech?

Right now they are at 33700 for a new 09 tech.

That isn't bad, but I don't think it is great.

If I could get them to $32000 on their car do you think that would be WAY BETTER than I could get a 2010 for? Would you do it or wait, or even try to get them into the $31000 area. Remember I want a TECH model!
  • ebcarbuyerebcarbuyer Member Posts: 17
    I wouldn't pay anything over $32k for an '09 Tech. $33700 is over priced based on what I and others have gotten for a '09 Tech. A 2010 won't be as aggressively priced initially. So if you can wait till the '09s are cleared out, you might get a decent deal but there's no guarantee you'll do better on a 2010 model. If car buying picks up then the dealers may be less willing to cut their profits. I'll guess you'll be able to get something close to dealer invoice on a 2010.
    If the 2010 should turn up with DFI ("shades" of EcoBoost), as well it should/might, the value of new '09's will then drop precipetously....worth the wait...?

And with a new VVT-i design using Otto/Atkinson/Miller/West cycle modes the new leftover '09's might become virtually worthless.

The new Prius and RX450H engines use Otto mode, 13:1 CR (12.5:1 RX) for part throttle operations and then transition into Atkinson mode (10:1 CR..??) as engine loading increases.
    What makes you think ANY of that will actually happen????

I have read NOTHING about those types of engine changes.
    At this time, no official information has been released to our department regarding the 2010 Acura RDX. However, I was able to locate a tentative release of mid July 2009. I anticipate product information will become available soon.We recommend checking the Acura.com website regularly for updates.

OK...Got this directly via email from Acura today after I emailed them last week.

Hopefully when he says information will be avaible soon, that means EARLY JUNE!
    DFI, Direct Fuel Injection, has been in the automotive "news" sources for more than two years so I don't know how you could have missed that. It's being touted as a BIG feature of the Ford EcoBoost marketing campaign and the latest Porsche boxer engines. Incorporated into the Lexus V6 several years ago now.

One of the major, at least from my viewpoint, RDX competitors, the CX-7 already has DFI. Mazda calls it DISI, Direct Injection Spark Ignition.

Due to the cooling effects of spraying the fuel mist into the previously fully compressed air at or near TDC on the compression stroke the CR can be, is being raised, to as high as 12.5:1. Plus, "air" alone, does not auto-ignite. Like in a diesel engine, no danger of detonation until the fuel is added, regardless of CR.
    "The 2010 RDX will is tentative scheduled to be released for purchase Mid-July. This means a dealership should have the vehicles available for your inspection at that time."
    White Diamond Pearl
    Palladium Metallic
    Polished Metal Metallic
    Crystal Black Pearl
    Grigio Metallic
    Basque Red Pearl

Here are the colors for the 2010 Acura RDX. Same as 2009 but no Royal Blue. Interior choices will be Taupe or Ebony. It will come out on July 15. In July the FWD models will go into production.
    I read the same thing you did on V-Tech and I didn't see where the SH-AWD version is coming OUT on the 15th of July.

I only read that the FWD will begin production on July 15th.

(or did you find information elsewhere?)
    What sucks about NOT knowing about the 2010 is that the 2009 INCENTIVES expire on July 6th!

$2500 Dealer incentive and 3.9% for 60 months is sweet on the 2009s and I don't want to miss a deal like that...if the 2010s don't get the upgrades that we are thinking it will get like upgraded Navi and USB connections!
  • padriver2padriver2 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a non-tech model for several hundred under $30K..so around $32+K for the tech model should be doable. They really want to sell cars right now. Plus they wont be discounting the '10 the first couple months after they come out. Seems like the '09 would be the best buy, unless there's something about the '10 you gotta have or can wait until Nov/Dec.
  • bc630bc630 Member Posts: 1
    What's up with these Honda/Acura designers?? The "beaks" on the front of Acuras are absolutely hideous! It ruins the looks of the entire vehicle! And has anyone seen the upcoming Honda Accord Crosstour?? As American vehicles are improving both in looks and quality, watch out Honda! It saddens me to say that as I have been a long-time Honda and Acura owner.
  • trevmtrevm Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for an RDX w/ tech.2010 in the N Y area and so far the best price I have received is $34206, Any suggestions?
  • stan229stan229 Member Posts: 6
    wow thats over 4g's under MSRP. That's a really good price. I am also going to be interested in an RDX in a few months when my lease is up, what dealership are you working with?
    Has anyone by-passed the wastegate action, "wired" it open, to determine the level of FE improvement and "pep" out of the "gate".

Even with the horrid "business" of the dash/instrument area I will be interested in the RDX once they adopt the engine to DFI but I will likely disable the turbo to improve FE.

DFI would enable a 12:1 static compression ratio possibly making the turbo needless.
  • geohovgeohov Member Posts: 23
    I'm getting tired of magazines and posters beating up on the RDX's front end. Of all Acura's, the RDX looks the best with the Acura shield on front. I love the look. It's a very aggressive look. Almost like a bird of prey.

I can remember when everyone hated the look of the '04 CTS. Now it's on the fastest and hottest car made in America, the CTS-V, and it looks fabulous.
  • drr98drr98 Member Posts: 80
    No offense geo, but is a CTS-V faster and hotter than a ZR-1?

Did you mean...

"Now it's on the fastest and hottest sedan made in America, the CTS-V, and it looks fabulous."

Back to the RDX...

It is at the top of my short list but it is my wife's turn to pick, so we shall see.

If we do go with an RDX I will add a turbo timer, change the oil every 2500 mi., and consider an ECU reprogram (more boost) after about 10k mi.

WHY...

Overkill on the M1 oil/filter change? You betcha. For ~$30 per change(diy), and as much as $120/yr (10k mi.) it is the best insurance you can buy for your turbo.

Turbo timer ~$500 - way more expensive than an oil & filter but also good insurance against coking oil in the turbo. I like to keep my cars for a long time and often drive them hard. (In-line fours need to be revved)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    it is the best insurance you can buy for your turbo.

Save the turbo, kill the cat?

The Great Car Maintenance Upsell (Yahoo)
    drr98;
    You got it right. Loving the new RDX. Need to take a long trip somewhere soon to really see how good it is to drive.
    From the yahoo link you provided...

"That oil change? Turns out every 5,000 miles is often enough. New oil has chemicals that eat away the catalytic converter, says Donny Seyfer, a Colorado-based certified master technician, and changing oil too often can damage that pricey part."

Wow. I respectfully reserve my right to question anyone who makes or believes this statement.

Please provide supporting info.

If ones cat/s does get damaged I would suspect burning too much oil, a too rich fuel to air ratio, or even the crazy blends of fuel used. (ethanol, mtbe, etc.)

Using logic...

Would the "chemical in the new oil" not keep eating away the catalytic converter during the 2500mi to 5000mi period as well?

Or does the chemical magically go away after 2500 mi?
    Ok, then what does your owner's manual say about changing the oil?

I bet it doesn't say every 2,500 miles. :)
    Steve,

Way to turn the subject around.

My question was/is - how will changing your oil at 2500mi vs 5000mi harm the cat/s? Please provide supporting info.

My previous post here makes clear that I do not currently own an RDX. (nor do I own any other vehicle with a turbo) So which of my owners manuals are you refering to in your response to my question (with a question)?

Clearly, most people with some basic knowledge of turbos will agree that they are very hard on oil due to high heat and rpms in the turbine. Hence my statement...

"Overkill on the M1 oil/filter change? You betcha. For ~$30 per change(diy), and as much as $120/yr (10k mi.) it is the best (cheapest) insurance you can buy for your turbo."

The idea is to prevent coking of the oil in the hot turbo. The RDX does use convective transfer to keep cooling the turbo after shutting off the motor. But if it is quite heat soaked this may not be enough cooling. That is where a computer controlled turbo timer comes in, allowing the system to cool down before shut off.

Please, please provide supporting info that changing oil early will harm the cat/s.
    I provided a link quoting a certified master technician saying exactly that. If you don't agree, then you are welcome to ignore the statement or go search out an opposing link from another qualified source.

Here's his bio:

"Donny is an ASE Master /L1 advanced diagnostic technician and C1 Service Consultant. Since 1994 he has been a participant writing test questions and working on passing score studies He has designed and built many performance vehicles for himself and customers and actively manages Seyfer’s performance and restoration service offerings." link
    Steve,

Donny never used the term "kill the cat". You did. Donny said, "New oil has chemicals that eat away the catalytic converter." Whatever that means?

For the sake of argument lets say you and Donny are right and I'm a "cat killer.

1) Which is more important to the health of the engine, the cats or the bearings?
    2) Will this chemical in the oil "kill" both cats or one or the other?
    3) Can oil coking in the turbo bearings cause further problems in the engine?
    4) Can a "killed cat/s" cause further problems in the engine?
    5) Do you now or have you ever owned an RDX? (or any other turbocharged vehicle)

FYI - '09 turbo lists for ~ $2700, pre-converter ~$955, converter ~ $760...

So, if I have to pick which I have to "kill", let me "kill" the pre-converter, as the turbo costs ~ 3 x as much.

Further, I suspect that coked oil from the turbo will have a negative effect on the engine bearings as well, since they share the same oil.
    Don't we have 4 year warrantees? It's all covered.

BTW, since I have a lease I follow the oil indicator on the computer. That's why I like a lease. I'm just borrowing the car.
    Ha. Must be nice to not have to worry about maintenance or longevity. We have a '92 GMC truck, a '98 vert, and an '00 coupe, so I don't have that luxury.

I won't consider buying a used car, it is a gamble. But there is pride in ownership in some people. (well, A R people like myself)

I take great pride in maintaining every aspect of families vehicles. Most people really don't.

Do you ever drive your RDX hard? (to the redline?)
    Well actually I've returned at least 5 lease cars after their 3 years were up, without as much as a door dent on them. I'm a little OCD about that. There is only 500 miles on the RDX and I haven't had a chance to do any time trials with it yet. I will at some point though.
    No, never had a turbo, and you certainly aren't encouraging me to get one. :)

My '99 is on a 7,500 interval (135k) and my '97 is on a 5,000 one (67k). Dead dino, and I'd just as soon the engine and cat (and tranny, etc.) all last forever, since that's how long I drive them.

You may appreciate the occasional oil analysis (about $20).
    Sweet, soon you'll be spooling that thing up.

What about you, ever had a turbo'd vehicle before?

Ah, the break-in period. (and the lovely new car smell)

My take on break-in is to try to not keep the engine at a steady speed, to vary the rpm as much as possible. Also keep it out of Vtec. No cruise control, and even vary rpm on the freeway by changing gears up and down. (and still maintain the same speed) Adopt this style for ~ 2500 mi and then just do whatever the manual says for break-in until 5 to 7 k/mi.

As for the brakes, find a deserted long streach of road and do a few gentle stops from 30 to rolling, and then cruise for a couple of miles to cool the brakes. Next do a few gentle 40 to a roll stops followed by a few miles to cool the brakes. Next do a few 50 to a roll stops, followed by a four mile cool down. Last step do 60 to a roll stop somewhat firmly, followed by a five mile cool down. This both tempers the rotors and beds the pads. The brakes will now be ready for anything.

Oh snap, I forgot its a lease...forget all that I just said above.

Ha. I hate door dents and the little circles that get embosed in my bumper covers from people who need to park by feel. Ugh.
    Wow, low miles/yrs. We have 130k on our '92 truck, 90k on our '00 coupe and 102k on our '98 roadster.

Right now the coupe and the roadster are kept in the garage and the truck is parked on the street. My wife wants to let the coupe go before we buy our next vehicle, but I'm reluctent to part with it. The roadster is a handful in the rain, so I drive the truck a bit more in the winter. Having a fourth car will keep me out of the truck unless I really need to use it.

I'm like you in that I want my cars to last.

But I do drive them somewhat hard at times. We also auto-x the roadster in the summer. So yeah...tough test track miles. But I can and have fixed whatever I break. Ha.
  • shivaswrathshivaswrath Member Posts: 6
    i FOUGHT tooth and nail to get my 2010 RDX SH-AWD without tech$2k UNDER MSRP. . .dealer's aren't letting them go that easily now. . ..

albeit, it's more masculine looking now, so maybe possibly higher demand?

I would HOPE a 2009 RDX with Tech and normal miles ($15k) should be at around $29k. . . :confuse:
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Will get on the dealer, just getting it out there.
This discussion has been closed.