Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

08 Power steering stiff when cold??

saskicatsaskicat Member Posts: 8
edited April 2014 in Hyundai
Does anyon else have this issue? When its cold out (-20 C ) or worse my steering gets real stiff,close to old fashioned manual steering its so bad. If I saw it back and forth a bit it helps loosen up faster. Just thick oil I think....or a very weak power steerng pump.
It seems a major saftey issue tho, If I had to do a directional correction quickly....well Im afraid to think of what the out come would be.
I have a shop appointment this morning so I`ll mention it and see what they say
...I can hear it now....blah blah when its cold...blah blah, warmer weather blah blah
Evan the steering doesnt turn me off tho. I love my Santy its the Hidden gem of the orient.
If Hyundai service has an answer to the steering issue....I`ll pass on the details.
Thanks abd have a Happy Fe Day

Comments

• Options
    NY_MaverickNY_Maverick Member Posts: 26
    Saskicat, I assume you're in Canada given the fact that it is -20C outside and that Saski is likely Sasketchewan. Unfortunately, I don't think many of us on these boards will have experience in such frigid conditions. I can tell you that at -7C, the power steering is fine, even on cold start. No whining, no moaning. Definitely get yours checked out and let us know.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We were at -29° F this morning (Idaho) and everything was stiff on our car including the steering.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Mines has been fine but the cold around the NYC area has only gotten down to 0F at worst this year. However, I do notice the steering is a bit heavier at times when my tire pressure is low and lighter when several pounds over the recommended.

So I guessing with the cold, the tire pressure has gotten low and more of the tire is rubbing the ground surface. Try adding back pressure back to the recommended level - may be hard to do in such temperatures.
  • Options
    sfdreaminsfdreamin Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I live in Edmonton AB Cdn and it has been cold here this last month or so. And when I say cold I am talking -33c with a wind chill of -40c. Minus -40 is where celsius and Fahrenheit are the same. I have a 2008 GL AWD and I have not noticed any unusual stiffness with the vehicle. So maybe you should pursue having the SF looked at.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    saskicatsaskicat Member Posts: 8
    Thanks sfdreamin and Tidester and all the others as well. Your right, Im in the middle of Saskatchawan. Same misery here as sfdreamin gets... -30 to -40 then a nice crisp wind to stir the fresh fallen snow. They say you get used to it tho... my 1st prairie winter so time will tell.
    Hyundai of Prince Albert told me to keep running it as is and play it by ear. I don't have a problem with that but i'm glad its noted in case I have some warrenty issue with it. Its only stiff for the 1st 5 minutes of driving, prolly less...never timed it. I seem to have gotten used to it anyways. I have a 4 block drive out to the hi-way...then its bone straight pretty much, the odd correction for wind turbulance and wildlife....GAWD are there a lot of deer in this country...moose too!
    I'm considering Xenon lights so I can see them better. Still researching that due to the day time running lights required in Canada.
    The Hi beam is used at a reduced voltage as the running light...not sure Xenons can opperate like that yet.
    Once again, Thank you.... this sight has been fantabulous.
This discussion has been closed.