Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shamtomshamtom Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 montero xls ,i keep hearing a grinding sound ,sometimes i touch the brake it stops ,othertimes i pull over and it clicks into 4wheel drive itself
    what are the switches on the transfer case called ? ,or what are the part nos.,
  • markrspbmarkrspb Member Posts: 1
    97 mits montero sport lh bank coil no fire
    causing cylinder 3 and 6 to misfire
    already replaced coil pack and module any ideas anybody
  • joon123joon123 Member Posts: 2
    The check engine light on my 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport turned on and a couple of days later the vehicle tremble, and surged and shut off when I came to a traffic stop. This happened twice, after that the auto drove normally.
    A day later the car would not move past 3-5 miles an hour and the transmition seem to slip.
    Is there a sensor in this vehicle that can cause a transmition failure? or is there another reason for this?
    Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what was it?
  • gtkermitgtkermit Member Posts: 1
    do you know which sensor it was? There are three, input sensor, output sensor, and speed odometer sensor.

let me know

thanks,
    gtkermit
  • robbi2robbi2 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 98 montero sport and need to replace the manual shifter anyone know where i can get one? anywhere but the dealer they suck. or even know where to get a kit to rebuild it.
    do you know where i can find a shifter for mine? nobody has them or can get them mines a manual trans. my email is robbi_carter@yahoo.com
  • 52805280 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 03 Montero Sport Limited and I spent a lot of time trying to obtain and program keyless entry remotes without having to pay dealership prices. I found two (2) remotes online. One on Ebay and another from an online company. I spent $30 for the remote purchased from the online company and $17 for the remote purchased on Ebay. Here are the programming instructions I received with my remote. These instructions worked for me without any problems.

1. Located underneath the drivers side dash is the DLC (Data Line Connector). The DLC is tapered on both ends. The terminals needed to complete the programming are on the top row.

2. Insert keys in ignition and leave in the off position. Make sure there are metal contact pins in terminals 1 and 4 from the left to the right and connect the Data Line Connector terminal 1 to 4 with a jumper wire. A paper clip can work as the jumper wire.

3. Within ten (10) seconds after connecting the jumper wire, turn the ignition switch to the ACC (Accessory) position and then back to the OFF position for one (1) second and repeat 2 times. (Note that as soon as the jumper wire is connected in terminal 1 and 4 you must immediately turn the key to ACC (Accessory) then OFF repeatedly 3 times. If this is done too slow or the programming is not successful, start over by removing the paper clip and starting the process again.)

4. Press the Lock or Unlock button on the transmitter to be registered three times within 10 seconds. Upon successful programming the door will lock and unlock once.

5. If there are 2 transmitters, register the first, then register the second (Just the remote button, press 3 times) using the same procedure within one minute. After completing the second programming the doors will lock and unlock once.
    Disconnect the programming wire (paper clip) and remove keys. (Note: Up to four (4) remotes can be programmed to a single vehicle.)

If I can be of any help you can contact me via email @ johnxhewel (at) yahoo (dot) com.
  • 52805280 Member Posts: 3
    Robbi,

Your best bet for finding a shifter using a parts locator service. I have used www.PartRequest.com and have been able to find new and used parts for my Montero Sport.

Good Luck
  • ferjferj Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for the pinout electrical diagram of the transmission control unit TCU or TCM) of a mitsubishi pajero with a 2.8L 4M40TDI engine and a aisin AW30-40LE automatic 4X4 transmission, any help will be appreciated
  • miguel10miguel10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar issue, I bought my Montero Sport new from the dealer, and have had great service out of it with the exception of changing the battery out with the dealer a few times. As far back as 2005 it started not shifting into gear in the morning, or after it has sat up for a while. I took it to the dealership and had the 90,000 mile service done to include a full transmission service. I received the vehicle back in the same condition and was told it was fine, and that they have slow warming transmissions? In most cases I can reverse out of my driveway, and then upon putting the vehicle in drive, it seems as though it's in neutral and then the vehicle jolts into gear and then it's fine for the rest of the trip? I've also since had the issue with the neutral light blinking and in some cases staying on for a while, but it has over 120k miles and it's still going.
    If this is an issue with so many vehicles how can it not be some type of defect?
  • bigwheels1bigwheels1 Member Posts: 2
    HI  my 2001 mitsubishi  montero all of sudden the horn started going of , i disconnected both of the horns it helped . connected them back had no luck horn stays on on on on... any one out there w/ same issue.       thanks                                                          
  • susanmariejsusanmariej Member Posts: 4
    My 1999 Montero Sport {218,000 miles} will suddenly strongly jerk as though the gear is shifting. However it stays in drive, continues to drive, but the Neutral light begins to flash on the dash. It stays flashing until the vehicle is shut off. This happens at any speed and is totally unpredictable.
    I've have a free transmission diagnostic test run and they found no problem. They did however there were further tests they could do for $125.........

Any recommendations??
  • jcastillo3jcastillo3 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, I have a 91 Montero 4X4 (auto) and recently getting into gear from park has been difficult. I have to force it into reverse or drive from the park position. But going from drive to reverse and vise/vera or into park, I have no problem. Also I have noticed that sometimes it takes a little longer for the transmission to switch gears when driving. Does it sound like a new transmission is in my future? I appreciate any input. Thank you, Joe
  • redsox058redsox058 Member Posts: 4
    My check engine light came on of course a month before my registration was due. I took it to autozone to have it analyzed, they said it was an EGR low oxygen sensor fault. So, simple enough I changed out EGR valve..Light still came on...So I changed out Egr valve solenoid...Light stayed off for a few days , but came back on...So I then changed out EGR control solenoid..so far so good and it passed inspection and emissions...Just giving you my experience in case somebody else may run into same problem...I looked and couldnt find similar situation or it would have helped and saved me some time and money...But I love this SUV and hope it runs for a long time.....BYE.
  • jfegolfjfegolf Member Posts: 1
    Ready to replace front rotors and pads on my '01 MS 4X4. Looks like the rotor will not fit over the cap on the end of the axle. I've removed the bolts holding the end cap but it seems tight. I've never messed with the 4X4 axles before and was wondering if it is ok to just pop off the end cap on the front axle. Does this require a puller or is there any alignment marks that I need to make.

Thanks,

JFE
  • ledzledz Member Posts: 1
    Hello People,

I have a 2005 Mitshubishi Montero Sport and for the past few weeks The Neutral Sign has been blinking and well the gears are not shifting like they used to.
    The computer test for the gear box determined that the Input Speed Sensor needs to be changed ...
    Does anyone know where i can order this part from ? Cause the dealership takes over a month to get it ...
    Any help would be appreciated
    Regards
  • siopaochisiopaochi Member Posts: 1
    hi, i have a 2001 montero xls and my dealer is charging me $141.53 for the freewheel clutch solenoid, i would love to have your local dealer's tel. # if they will charge $85 with shipping, to los angeles or even more for shipping. thank you!
  • jakerw14jakerw14 Member Posts: 4
    Yes i just recently bought a 2002 montero sport xls and my check engine light is on. I have had it analyzed and it says the same thing with EGR insufficiant flow or something.....So i guess i just shouldnt worry about it???
    Clean the idle control valve with some carb cleaner.....google it....that may work
    well....i got mad and punched mine haha and it stuck....had to disconnect the horn also....sucks
    the only problem is that it wont pass emissions. i just replaced those 2 solenoids and havent had any problems since.
    oh ok thanks, but it shouldnt affect the way my montero drives?
    I didnt notice any problems at all with mine, and i drove mine for 7 months until it was time to renew my registration and imissions.maybe u are lucky and are in a place where u dont have to do imissions and it wont be an issue at all for u.....good luck
  • juju007juju007 Member Posts: 1
    Hello ... my 2000 Montero Sport has the 4x4 indictaor light flashing all of a sudden. . The anti lock brake light also appears after driving the car for 5mins now, not sure if its related. Im wondering if that can be the "freewheel clutch solenoid valve" Can somebody help me please...
    Thank you
    Anthony B
  • tmcalistertmcalister Member Posts: 4
    That's exactly what our Montero was doing (4x4 flashing, anti-lock brake light coming on after a few minutes of driving). You need to replace the "Freewheel Clutch Solenoid valve" part # MR263723.
  • shavonnashavonna Member Posts: 1
    I absolutely cannot believe that so many others are having this same exact problem that I am. I have taken my montero to the shop two different times (once last week and again today) and they have absolutely no idea what is wrong with my vehicle. The Mitsubishi dealership that was here closed so I'm not sure if anyone would be able to fix it....any advice? It amazes me that so many people are having the same exact issue. I'm glad to have found this website. Thanks for the information!
  • micky8micky8 Member Posts: 1
    Have you got any solution?. I have same problem.
    Regards
  • trabtrab Member Posts: 5
    SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME TROUBLE THAT I AM HAVING WITH MY 2001 MONTERO. I AM SURE THAT I CAN REPLACE THE FREEWHEEL CLUTCH SOLENOID VALVE IF I KNEW WHERE ON THE VEHICLE IT IS LOCATED. I AM PRETTY HANDY ON AUTOMOBILES THAT ARE 10-20 YEARS OLD. I NEED A LITTLE DIRECTION ON THE NEWER ONES. ALSO, ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED FOR THIS REPAIR? THANK YOU ALL FOR SUCH A GREAT WAY OF GETTING HELP WITH THE THINGS THAT SOME OF US DON'T UNDERSTAND!!
  • csfstrykercsfstryker Member Posts: 3
    I too am pretty mechanical and probably could have fixed my problem. But the dealer was pretty "cryptic" about the repair. That, coupled with the relativley low price led me to just let them do it. It's been two years now and I have not had another issue.

The mitsu deal replaced two parts MB596608 Switch Stop lamp (75.54), and MR263723 Valve, Frewheel C (122.10). Labor was 250, so it took them damn near 4 hours to do something!!! But hey that was the first 400 that I spent on my rig outside of routine stuff in years...it has been an awesome truck. Hope this helps.
    Thank you for your response. This is the first time that I have heard of the stop light switch needing to be replaced along with the Freewheel Clutch Valve. Perhaps it is related to the overall problem. I was wondering if you know where on the vehicle the Freewheel C. is located. I realize that you had a shop do the repair. Just wondering if they were willing to share this or, wanting to keep it a secret. Thanks again for your help and information. I just joined this forum yesterday. Sounds like there are a lot of good people willing to help. I hope that I soon can return the favor.
  • mitsumonteromitsumontero Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I just joined today for I was just searching for answers for possible causes of the flashing or blinking 4x4 indication lamp on my 2000 montero sport. At the same time my ant-lock brake light pops out when I was driving in today. I read your messages and replies to each other and it seems that I also need to change my "freewheel clutch solenoid valve".
    Does anyone know if in case I still haven't change the"freewheel solenoid valve" and the light keeps on blinking, what could possibly happen? is the 4x4 engage even if it is in the "2H" mode?
    Thanks in advance for you idea and reply....
    THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE SAME PROBLEM THAT I HAVE WITH MY MONTERO SPORT. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ON THE VEHICLE THAT THE "FREEWHEEL CLUTCH SOLENOID VALVE" IS LOCATED. I HAVE ASKED MANY PEOPLE WITHOUT ANY LUCK. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THIS MUCH NEEDED HELP!!
    trab, have you tried getting a repair manual like haynes or chilton? i'm planning on getting one and hope i can find the location and how to replace the"freewheel solenoid valve"
    Trab,
    Here is a link to a web site for an older model Montero:
    http://4wd.blogeasy.com/
    You will see a picture of the "Vacuum Solenoid Valves." They have a blue and yellow dot on top of them. This looks exactly the same on the newer model Monteros. You will find the valve under the air intake (air filter), mounted the the passenger side wheel well. The hardest part of the job is removing the rubber vacuum tubes from the valve. You have to work them off very slowly and carefully. Hope this helps.
    Thanks so much for your reply and the text pictures. I read through what you sent me and, followed it step by step. I removed parts of the vehicle to get to the actuator and the actuator shaft. I made sure the vacuum tubes were on snug and not leaking. I then pulled back the boot that covers the actuator shaft and moved it back and forth and applied grease to the shaft. I then removed the air intake equipment to get to the vacuum solenoid valves. Making sure the vacuum tubes were working properly, I removed the electrical connections from each solenoid and cleaned them. All the way through checking things, I made sure that all vacuum connections were snug and in good order. Once I had everything put back together and started the motor, there was no 4x4 light flashing nor was there an ABS light on steady. I could not believe it, so I took the vehicle for a ride and everything is great. Thanks again for your help and trouble shooting guides. I spent a few hours, but probably saved myself around $400.00!! I hope others with the same problem will read this and also benefit.
    To tmcalister & trab, others... thanks so much for all the messages and this forum is a great help to me. just appreciate all who contributed to solve the 4x4 flashing light. i'm still trying to check all the said swictches and vacuum hoses and hopefully when i'm done the flashing 4x4 light will stop. Thanks again tmcalister, trab
    Need help on testing the vacuum solenoid valves please...
    I followed the steps on the reply & pics sent by tmcalister and checking the actuator shaft and moved it back & forth and applied grease to the shaft. Upon removal of the air intake, found the 2 solenoid valves. I checked the vacuum hoses & all were ok. I tried testing the solenoids for the resistance using the multi tester, 1st solenoid valve(with yellow dot) I got a 47 ohms, but for the 2nd solenoid valve with(blue dot) I didn't get any reading. I tried cleaning the electrical connections on the solenoid valve and still nothing(no value). Does this mean that the solenoid valve(blue dot) is not working and needs replacement?
    Thanks in advance for your reply guys... I appreciate your time and inputs.
    Dear Mits:
    I'm glad the posts have helped. I was so relieved when I was able to replace the part myself, and that was only possible because of this blog. Anyway, I must be honest...I never tested the solenoid. I had no way to. I simply took the chance that it was the problem, and it was. It's very clear that this part has serious problems as far as longevity, so I didn't hesitate to buy it for 100 bucks, and replace it. It was a gamble of sorts, but with all the others replacing the same part with good results made my decision easy.
    I did, however, remove the electrical connections and clean them: with no luck. My guess is the part is most certainly bad, esp since you tested it and confirmed. Call your local Mist dealer, and order the part. I noted the part number in an early blog. I will be shocked it it doesn't fix your issue. Good Luck!
    I also had no way of testing the solenoid. I am still not sure what I did right to resolve my problem. As I was checking the equipment, I disconnected the vacuum lines and inspected, cleaned the ends and reinstalled. With the electrical connections I scraped the terminals clean and applied an electrical connection cleaner to them, making sure to blow out all of the junk from inside the connectors before reconnecting them. While reading your message from 08-24-09, I was wondering if there is a fuse or a circuit breaker fuse that controls the operation of some of these parts. My wife is off doing errands in our Montero. I am curious if this could be a possibility.
    Thanks for the the replies tmcalister, trab, others. I appreciate it. I will order the part from mitsubishi and I am positive that the solenoid valve is the issue and hopefully the flashing 4x4 indicator lamp will be fixed.

Thanks again! :
  • devo4devo4 Member Posts: 2
    well it dont sound right???too many miles way too soon !!!! If i may tell you i got a 1995 Mitsubishi Montaro with 153000,miles on her with a brand new timming belt new battrie,and runs like a champ, i am on a fixed income on disablity or i would never ever sell her!!well not now ,But i can not afford the car insurance!!! if YOU or any-one you know is interested call me asap its keyy blue book is at $4 250.oo i am willing to let her go for less then what is listed here!!! bottom line offer $30000.straight up! has lots of little exrras like a built in kids folding seats cusomized to the montaro, a roof mountable rack to hold stuff /an a built in compass an built in back utillity light ! in case of break downs I am sure you got your-self a newMontaro by noe but if you know any-one who want a great usaed montaro let me know asap,ill make sure you make a few bucks,!!!give them the price listed here in ad .i will give you the diffrence if you sell it for me!! www.gwclark5833@yahoo.com or call 561-542-6993 ask for devo/Or Greg we are all DEVO!!!!!!!!!
  • devo4devo4 Member Posts: 2
    My name is Gregory ,an i am in a bit of a spot, a jam if you will/of sorts, i am disabled on a fixed Income an need to ! # 1 find car insurance i can afford???or sell my 1995 Montaro anyone who knows a buyer i will cut you in .!!! or cut the price for you !!,or find car insurance. only thing is if i do not find by end of month they will take my drevers licence away!!!/ so which ever comes first the chicken or the sale of my montero 1995 153000 miles on her !! just got new timming belt, 7car battrie. i am being forced too sell her!!! or rob a bank!!???? Just kidding or get car insurance! if you can help in any-way???let me know or call me asap at 561-542-6993 ask for DEVO/Or Gregory we are all DEVO!!!!!!gwclark5833@yahoo.com
    First of all, I would like to thank everybody who contributed to this forum. It help me a lot. By the way, I have replaced the solenoid valve(which cost me around $100)from the dealer. I replaced the part and the 4x4 flashing light was gone. That solenoid valve was the bad part. Hope this helps those montero sport owners when they encounter this kind of problem.
  • nokrmechnokrmech Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the very helpful information. I have exactly the same problem. Since there are two such solenoid valves in there, which one is normally the bad one for this problem (blue or yellow dotted)?
    Thanks in advance for your answer.
  • jerrykayejerrykaye Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Lexus RX300. The check engine light has been on for months The computer says its an O2 sensor. Ive notice my gas mileage drop from 20 mpg to 18 mpg. Would changing this sensor help my milage and if so how much should it cost? No inspection concerns in Florida.
  • nokrmechnokrmech Member Posts: 2
    Just an update.
    I got the part from a dealer. The unit actually contains both solenoid valves (yellow and blue dotted valves). The replacement work took about an hour. And the annoying flashing 4-wheel drive sign is gone once the new part went in. Problem solved! Thanks for everyone on this board.
  • scj_in_vascj_in_va Member Posts: 1
    My '03 Mits MS was recently rear-ended and totalled so I boought an '02 MS from CarMax with almost 116k miles on it. I had replaced my '03 timing belt at 90k miles but neither the CARFAX reports nor the CarMax Repair Orders show that the timing belt on the '02 has been replaced. CarMax replaced the rear camshaft, tires, etc on the '02 to prep it for sale but their mechanic claims the timing belt was ok. Not sure I should trust their judgement since Maint. Manual says to replace timing belt at 100k miles. Anyone have bad experiences with CarMax service dept's?
    Thanks.
  • moatsadmoatsad Member Posts: 1
    I believe the issue is in the horn button itself (contained in the airbag part itself). There is a very thin membrane that separates the contact points which sound the horn. Sometimes when it gets cold, or a dep point is reached - it's just enough to cause a connection in the horn button, causing the horn to "have a mind of it's own". There is a single wire that goes from the clock spring to the horn button, but you have to remove the airbag to get to it. The manual says you need to be very careful - disconnect the battery and wait for over a minute - because it stores a charge for a limited amount of time.
  • russ0715russ0715 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get the problem resolved? If so, what solved it? I have the exact same problem and I don't want to get ripped off with a mechanic or dealer telling me I need a new transmission.