Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Oil Consumption Problem

13»

Comments

• austinodyaustinody Member Posts: 3
    When I finally was able to speak with the person at Honda North America it was not helpful - they were unsympathetic and denied that Honda Odysseys have any problems with oil consumption. However, they did tell us that the service manager at our local dealership wanted us to bring the van back in. When we took the van back in the service manager was very helpful and understanding. He had his team take the engine apart and acknowledged that there was some type of problem because the pistons were washed clean and they are supposed to have carbon build up on them. So, they replaced the bottom half of the engine. We are grateful that there was some response, but our preference was for them to take this van back and start over with a new one, but that was not an option. I am just concerned that we may have other problems and just don't feel safe. We are lucky to have the service manager that we did because if it weren't for him we would just be completely out of luck. I remain disappointed and frustrated with Honda as a company and will not purchase another Honda vehicle.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    So, Honda paid for a very expensive warranty repair. Good for them and you. The important question is, did it fix your problem?
  • ee4lifeee4life Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2011
    Honda issued TSB 11-033 "Engine Oil Consumption; MIL May Be On With DTC P3400 and/or P3497" to help address the engine oil consumption issue. The issue is related to the VCM function repeatedly switching on/off under specific driving conditions. A PCM software update is available.

Odysseys Affected:
    2008–10 Odyssey EX-L, Touring – ALL
    2011 Odyssey – From VIN 5FNRL5H..BB000001 thru 5FNRL5H..BB062427

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A11-033.PDF
  • 3timesahonda3timesahonda Member Posts: 3
    I could have written this email. I am in the middle of this nightmare right now. They want to tear apart the engine to identify the problem for $2000!!!
    I am in the middle of this nightmare right now!
    burning up oil and complaining for the last year and now they say they can't do anything short of tearing the engine apart to explore the issue for $2000!
    What year, how many miles, how bad is the problem? Is it still under warranty?

LOL, I just purchased a Toyota Sienna in part to avoid VCM engines. They must have heard about Honda's problems because the 2012 owner's manual says up to 1.1 qts per 600 miles is within "normal" consumption.

Not in my experience.
  • dendrodendro Member Posts: 19
    I did receive a recall on the Honda Mini van. Fat lot of good it did, I traded that junker back to the dealer. I lost thousands of dollars on that mini van, at a time when I could least afford to lose any money. I am not done with Honda yet and all the money I lost. I can't even begin to explain the stress it caused me. Here I had a brand new truck 22,000 miles and the engine was going and Honda refused to fix it, I'll include my dealer also.

I guess the old saying the rich get richer and the poor get poorer knew what they were talking about.

The average person can not afford to hire lawyers to fight their battles, even when they are in the right. I should have taken it to my state Attorney General, the state of Minnesota happens to have a very good one. I may do that yet, as soon as I get the time to deal with it.

Is anyone out there working harder than ever and way more hours and way less money. It is companies like Honda who take advantage of the little guys.

I wish I could get over the abuse this company has put me through, but I must be stupid in thinking there will be justice when a huge company like Honda sells their mistakes and refuses to make it right. I know I'm not the only Honda owner who has been cheated with their product.

I can only hope they confess and right the wrongs done to so many Honda owners.

Dendro
  • jswampillaijswampillai Member Posts: 2
    I purchased brand new 2012 1,500KM getting humming noise. Took it to the dealer they say no issue just air circulating. Is it right?
  • jswampillaijswampillai Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a brand new 2012 1,500KM getting humming noise under the hood. Took it to the dealer they say no issue just air circulating. Is this right?
  • mtnsourcemtnsource Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Honda Odyssey with 118,000 miles. Since it had 60,000 miles it has consumed 2 quarts of oil every 500 miles. Recently we are at 3 quarts every 500 miles. I have complained to my dealer, Honda of America and Honda Care to no avail. I have filed a complaint with the State of California. They sent me to NHTSA who is investigating this issue at this time. If you have this problem, please file a complaint, or a second complaint with NHTSA. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml or 1-888-327-4236. They told me also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. 1-877-382-4357 https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/. They told me to add a Better Business Bureau complaint into the mix. www.bbb.org/ to find your local affiliate. If you are having these problems with your Honda Odyssey or Accord, please file complaints so that our collective voice is heard. Thank you!
    I had the EXACT same problem and at 80,000 was told to do an engine rebuild at a cost of $10,000! I receive vm messages from Honda of America and have never been able to reach a live person. thanks for the complaint forms and I will fill it out. mine too was a 2005 Odyssey! problem started at 60,000 and blew up at 80,000!
  • hondainviennahondainvienna Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey which is having a multitude of engine issues. After the 3rd trip to the dealer, the mechanic told be that they are going to replace the engine block based on what they are hearing from corporate. Looks like there was an issue at the manufacturing plant and the block was allowing engine oil to enter the piston which causes the spark plugs to get fouled. This, in turn, causes the car to misfire setting off the engine lights, etc. The result is loss of oil. Not sure if they are going to make a recall as the repair is over 3K. I am within warranty so the repair is covered. May want to explore to see if others are having similar issues.
  • jackiefromfljackiefromfl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Odyssey and it has about 29000. Friday, the car starts to shake like crazy and the engine light and the VSA light came on. When I checked the oil, it was empty (on the minimum line). I just top off the oil about a month ago, so after about a month, it went from full to empty. No sign of leakage. Have not taken it in to the dealer yet because everyone said it will be just a waste of time because they will not do anything about it since I had changed the oil and the light goes off and everything is fine again.
    Your van is still under warranty. I would get it in there to get the problem start date documented.

Are you saying it was only one quart low when it started misbehaving? That would be unusual.
  • bwilson4bwilson4 Member Posts: 7
    Same issue as most of you. Had our van towed to dealer after it started to run very rough and engin light came on at just under 3 years and about 42K. Was told that it was very low on oil (even though it was about 4500 miles since our last service) and this caused the spark plug for the #3 cylinder to fail and it to misfire. Paid for all spark plugs to be replaced. Asked about the TSB 11-033 from post #104 and was told they had no record of it. Started our oil consumption test at this point, but have a bad feeling they know of this issue and are not willing to stand behind the product they sold me.
    Well, first of all, if you know enough about the issue to find this thread, you are capable of checking your oil once a week. These engines should not consume oil they way they do but who would let their oil level get so low that it needs towing in?

VCM is a loser. Check your oil level weekly. Document, document, document.

Then trade it. Or do what I did....buy a Toyota.
  • minivan_mama1minivan_mama1 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2008 Honda Odyssey touring edition. The Honda dealer performed the TSB 11-033 on June 8, 2012. Ever since then, my car has been burning oil at a rate of about 1 quart of oil per 1700 miles. The "check engine" light keeps coming on. The codes in the computer describe issues with the oxygen sensor, the catalytic converter and the variable valve timer.

Honda has advised me to check the oil levels every one hundred miles.
    "Check oil level every 100 miles"

This is laughable. Welcome to 1st Gen VCM. Who told you this, a Honda Rep? I would insist on this in writing, then find a lawyer.
  • hajj30hajj30 Member Posts: 7
    The dealer replaced everything under the hood! It looks brand new at 90,000 miles! It still has the same problem after only 1,000 miles! They now want me to pay $8,000.00 for another engine.
    I just feel violated. They changed everything under the hood, including the entire engine. Everything looks brand new at 90k miles! Now that it is still losing oil they want me to pay $8000.00 to replace it again! Are they crazy?
    I have been very frustrated with the dealer and Honda Motors. The engine was totally replaced and went again after a few months. I was so upset that I purchased a Toyota Sienna. I don't know how Honda is getting away with this. If there is a recall or any other information concerning compensation please let me know.
    After Honda rebuilt my engine it began to misfire after only 5k miles! I traded it for a 2013 Toyota Sienna. Honda was in denial and told me that losing a quart of oil/1k miles was normal. This was a rebuilt engine.
    I went through the exact same thing. I became so stressed out when a new rebuilt engine began to fail, that I drove it, barely making it to the Toyota Dealer. I am very surprised they gave me 14k. I hope that a lawyer takes on the case and tries to get class action status.
    FYI, Toyota has been watching Honda's problems. In the Sienna owners manual, "normal" oil consumption is described as up to 1liter per kilometer. That's 1.1 quarts per 600 miles. Hardly normal.

That said, my 2012 has burned zero oil in 20,000 miles using TGMO 0W-20 changed in 10,000 mile intervals as per factory recommendations.
  • stemacstemac Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey Touring and we have had the #3 spark plug foul at 88,000 and 106,000. The warranty didn't cover it. I have talked to Honda Care and they say they are not aware of any problems. They gave me a case number and that was it.
    I did file a complaint with the NHTSA about this problem.
    I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA about the A/C Clutch relay becoming stuck and killing the battery.
  • dendrodendro Member Posts: 19
    I have not been on the site for a while, I still get really upset everytime I think about the thousands of dollars lost on the 2008 Odyssey I had. I change my oil every 3,500 to 4,000 miles. I've owned an Armada, Dodge Ram, Caddy Escalade, and numerous other large 8 cly trucks.

I bought the Odyssey when gas went crazy to save money and foolishly thinking Honda was the best. At 22,000 miles under full factory warranty my engine light came on, went to the closest dealer and was told there was no oil in my engine. Mind you no oil leak, when I went to my dealer in White Bear, MN they did zero Honda did Zero and had me do some stupid oil consumption test. I went through over 1 1/4 at 600 miles and black smoke blowing out the exhaust. Still they all refused to fix my truck.

I was honest and told them I don't check my oil every 1,000 miles, I never have on the 13 brand new trucks I bought over the years. This is not counting the 8 Ford E350 I use for my business. We change the oil on a regular basis. Of all the trucks and autos I've owned I've had some problems, but all the dealers have quickly repaired the vehicles, especially under new warranty.

Nissan has been one the best and of course Ford, GM not bad, some Dodge not bad. Honda should not be allowed to sell in this country when they don't take care of the problems in their vehicles. I leased a CRV Honda, I hate but after losing so much money on the Odyssey and in the middle of a depression I traded the piece of junk for the CRV Honda. It is a good vehicle but tiny and by the way it is a different engine than the Odyssey. My Odyssey was made in Kentucky the CRV was made in Japan. Did that make the difference????? Check your truck and see where it was made.

It looks like the economy is coming back and I will not hesitate to buy another Nissan or Ford if I can get credit because of the financial loss on the Odyssey and a depression, which started in 2002 not 2007 just because the banks got hurt. All decrectionary spending slowed to a crawl in March of 2002.

All I can say anyone can get a lemon in any make, but Honda should be ashamed of themselves as well and the so called reputable dealer I bought the Odyssey from. They are a bunch of crooks who are getting away with ripping off hard working U.S. citizens. I hope no else makes the mistakes I've made. If I had the money I would sue them all but shouldn't our Federal agencies do that for us????? I guess more people in their spare time HA HA have to shout louder and write more to get the attention we rightly have coming.
    I had to trade my 2008 Odyssey also. It was in great condition but had to be sold for parts. People like us need to get together to hold Honda accountable. I don't think that the class action wil cover us. If not I plan to take them to court myself.
    edited December 2013
    See "class action" threads for Accord and Odyssey. I just got the notice today. If you're a registered owner, I would assume you'd get one too.

More info at: enginemisfiresettlement.com

Bottom line: you can claim reimbursement for documented out of pocket expenses and everyone gets 8 years of warranty coverage from date of purchase. Go get 'em boys and girls.

I will have to opt out of the Honda Class Action. After Honda lied to me I had to get rid of the vehicle at a loss. I wish that all of us who had to get rid of our vehicles could join together in a class action against Honda.

• BDavoliBDavoli Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2009 Odyssey Touring, I hope this mechanical report can be opened, it contains good info about the oil consumption. I was told that no oil would show up on the garage floor because the oil burned up on its path down the engine. One valve cover was previously replaced but done improperly, this mechanic thankfully discovered it. Is there a possibility these rubber seals were not installed properly by Honda? It makes us wonder.

https://shop.tekmetric.com/inspection/1-zDwZfyYBEzdDK1BfqK79KyC5z7UbNW3z8pfifngmg