Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005+ Tacoma with RUSTY FRAME

2»

Comments

• mcmotomcmoto Member Posts: 3
    I am assuming SOL means statute of limitation. 2005 was not part of the class action. That is the problem. I wonder if some of the 2005 were equiped with some of the Dana frames. Anyway of finding out what kind of parts you have on your car? Seems interesting some trucks have the same trouble.
  • oly51oly51 Member Posts: 3
    I think he meant Sh*t Out of Luck...

I'm going to bring my '05 Taco to a dealer next week for an oil change and will have them inspect the frame so it is on record.
  • cshinn89cshinn89 Member Posts: 5
    I did mean s*it out of luck
  • paul239paul239 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 tacoma king cab long bed with frame rot at the front inside on both sides at the radius directly behind the wheels. Are there any considerations offered by toyota? I will follow up with my dealer.
    Their solution was buy a new one with no help from us
  • mdomanskamdomanska Member Posts: 1
    This sounds exactly like what happened to me! I got a letter from Toyota about 2 years ago saying that my truck MAY be recalled due to a rust issue and that I should contact my local dealership... which I did! Though I tried multiple times over the next 2 years, each time I called the dealership (Sloane in Glenside, PA) I was told that MY truck was NOT one of the ones recalled even though it was listed online. The dealership refused to even INSPECT it!

Then, three weeks ago, my own mechanic told me my 97' Toyota Tacoma would not even pass inspection next year, that it was unsafe, and that the frame was completely rotted! He showed me! It crumbled in his hands when he pushed his finger through it! I called the dealership AGAIN! This time they told me it was covered for another 3 months, scheduled for me to bring it in this morning, but when I did they had NO record of the appointment, NO record of me ever being in their system at all, and told me that the recall had expired, thank you very much and have a nice day. I AM FURIOUS because now I have a worthless truck that I paid full price for that I can't resale! And I can't afford to fix it OR buy a new car! I really want to get involved in a class action law suit! This was intentional! I'm at mdomanska@sch.org if anyone has a good lawyer! They owe me a vehicle!
    In your case your truck IS! part of the recall and you ARE! entitled to 150% of the KBB value
  • claudieclaudie Member Posts: 2
    My 05 Tacoma is unsafe to drive as per the dealer . I had it inspected in 2010 was told it was not bad just minor rust.had it inspected again July 30 2012 was told by service manager yep unsafe to drive.sorry call Toyota experience and complain we can't do anything. called them with case # they said its in dealer hands. my stabilizer bar is rotted off the frame plus holes through frame I'm looking into a class action law suit any helpful information ? I know i;m not the only one.JUST LOOK AROUND ITS ALL OVER THE INTERNET.ANY ONE WHO HAS THIS PROBLEM SHOULD CALL AND COMPLAIN ! DON'T LET UP THATS WHAT TOYOTA WANTS THEY WANT YOU TO GO AWAY WELL GUESS WHAT I'M NOT!!!!!!!!!! TO BE CONTINUED.............
  • andiautandiaut Member Posts: 2
    I would love to be a part of that law suit if you find one. We took our 2002 tacoma in, it was inspected, they passed it and sprayed the frame to prevent rust. This was when the recall first happened about two years ago. They gave us the extended 15 year warranty. As we were driving the brakes went out two weeks ago. Upon futher inspection the brake lines were rusted in two. As we looked under the frame had a hole completely rust in frame. both side were cracked. Took it to dealer they said one side was definitly rust damage but the other side was due to stress. They had inspector look at the frame and he said it was due to abuse. SO it is Not covered. Abuse cause by what? driving it in the snow? If one side is rust of course the other will have stress. We own three toyotas at this time, and have owned many before these. It is ashame to be a loyal consumer and be screwed like this!!
  • andiautandiaut Member Posts: 2
    I would love to be a part of that law suit if you find one. We took our 2002 tacoma in, it was inspected, they passed it and sprayed the frame to prevent rust. This was when the recall first happened about two years ago. They gave us the extended 15 year warranty. As we were driving the brakes went out two weeks ago. Upon futher inspection the brake lines were rusted in two. As we looked under the frame had a hole completely rust in frame. both side were cracked. Took it to dealer they said one side was definitly rust damage but the other side was due to stress. They had inspector look at the frame and he said it was due to abuse. SO it is Not covered. Abuse cause by what? driving it in the snow? If one side is rust of course the other will have stress. We own three toyotas at this time, and have owned many before these. It is ashame to be a loyal consumer and be screwed like this!!
  • jimh55jimh55 Member Posts: 2
    After two years of having been told at inspection time about the rust, I brought my truck into Toyota for an inspection. They saw the rust and a possible crack. I need a Service Manager to look at it to make a decision. Although the dealership says they haven't seen this too much, there happen to be another 2005 in the service area for the same thing. I filed a complaint with Toyota and Department of highway safety and have case numbers from both. The case numbers don't mean anything except a way to watch the complaints come in. If you have a 2005 with frame rust, call toyota and get a case number and have it inspected. The more people that do this the better chance of Toyota seeing an issue beyond 2004's and recalling them. One service guy told me that it is a completely new design and frame manufacturer. Highly unlikely :) Good luck
  • jimh55jimh55 Member Posts: 2
    Brought my 2005 Tacoma in this past Saturday and I was told that a service manager would have to look at it to make a decision. They found rust and a possible crack. My mechanic found the rsut and some weak spots. This is two years in a row I was told at inspection time my frame was rusted. I filed a complaint with Toyota and with the Dept of Highway Safety. I have case numbers from both. Thcase numbers themselves is a way to track the number of complaints. File complaints with both offices. the more complaints filed the better chance we have to get compenstion and or repairs. I said the same thing to some one about a possible batch of left over frames from the 2004 models built by DANA installed on 2005's. One service guy told me it was a new design and a new manufacturer. I don't think so!!!
  • junk01junk01 Member Posts: 3
    I have called toyota coustmer service wound up at a dead end called ohio attonery general waiting for call back I think if you have owned the truck for six months they would have bought it back the deadline in ohio was 12-31-11 now for the good news new york state deadline is 12-31-13 would have to take truck to new york and register it there. This looks the the only recourse we have or be stuck with a unsafe junk truck we can not get rid of. dealer would not look at my truck since recall was over unless i paid for it.toyata it sounds to me like you have a total disregard for human life. buy american next time
    the older toyotas that come from japan were rust buckets no american made parts
    class action law suit
  • ccavazosccavazos Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue on the roof of my 2005 Toyota Tacoma, I never noticed the huge rust spot on the roof of the truck until yesterday helped my brother move some furniture to his new place and OMG, the rust spot is huge. I filed a complaint with Toyota today and they said that they could do nothing for me because the timing is no longer within the warranty. I have yet to take it to the dealership and see what they can do for me there. But if it is a problem and/ or defect I think Toyota should pay for a new frame. It is so unfair! If others are having issues, please call Toyota and make them aware of the problem. Apparently, they have very few complaints of rust on the framing of the 2005 Tacoma. PLEASE CALL TOYOTA IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING THESE ISSUES, if they have enough complaints they will consider a recall/ replacement!!!!!!!
  • aescoaesco Member Posts: 3
    Like many others, my Tacoma's frame is rusting away. Frame about 3' in front of back tires is swelling and flaking. Rust continues all the way to wheel well. Bolts connecting springs are becoming brittle and look suspect. Dealer said it was not bad enough to warrant any action when they inspected it 2years ago. Never had a vehicle rust like this. would like to have a friend grind all the rust away and reinforce the frame with new steel but am worried this would disqualify me if there ever was a recall or frame replacement for 06 Tacoma's. Not sure what to do. Would rather have a vehicle that is safe. Don't want to wait until I can poke a whole in my frame with a screwdriver or worse yet the frame cracks in half. Did not expect my Tacoma to be disposable. Thought I was buying quality.
    Ironically just after I posted the above message a Toyota Tacoma add popped up with the slogan "it doesn't have a soft spot" I guess Toyota forgot about their frames.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    Funny but sad for owners like you.

Toyota doesn't seem to do anything about these frames before it's too late, then they offer something. If it were mine and I thought my safety was not at stake yet, I would just drive it and try not to let it bother me. I would expect sooner or later Toyota will stand good for this problem just like they did before. I wouldn't want to spend any money to possibly disqualify myself from any forthcoming settlement.
  • oly51oly51 Member Posts: 3
    That's the dilemma I'm facing. Do I wait to see 'if' Toyota will do something about the rusty frames, (and what would they do) or do I do something now to try and stop the rust from getting worse?

Rattle can painting the frame last Fall did not last. I'm tempted to wire brush, POR-15 it and spray the inside with Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating.
    Oly51, that's what I have been doing, wire brush, rust killer and paint. doesn't work. all it does is delay the inevitable. I'm gonna have a friend who rebuilds cars grind away some of the rust but if to much is grinded away there won't be any frame left in one spot. Same friend bought a brand new Toyota truck in 79 and told me it lasted two years before body rust became so severe he sold it. I guess Toyota has made some headway, my toyotas 6 years old and hasn't totally rusted away yet. But then again it cost three times as much as one cost in 79 (10,000).
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    The Tacoma frames is rust from the inside out; regardless of what you do to the outside it's not going to stop the rust.
  • susann3susann3 Member Posts: 3
    We have the same frame problems, and are getting the same disregard from Toyota--how does one find out about class action law suit. The biggest on in American auto history has just been settled against Toyota (12/2012) for the exceloration problems. There must be some way to pursue this since so many people are having problems with the frames in this truck. SNoel
  • tacomaripofftacomaripoff Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Bought the truck, 2003 tacoma, in Feb. 2012 from out of state from a non Toyota dealer. Had it inspected by Toyota of Batavia in Dec. 2011. They documented in black and white that the frame qualified for replacement but that I had to be the registered owner for six months. Went to inquire about getting the frame replaced in Jan. 2013 only to learn that the Campaign has expired. Opened a case with Toyota corporate and here is what they told me. If my truck would of had the undercoating applied by Sept. 2011 the frame warranty would have been extended and my truck would qualify now. Since that wasn't done there's nothing they're going to do. In light of that I inquired at a local frame / body repair shop who found a used frame in good condition for $1400 but the killer is labor at $3000. Frame altogether doesn't look so bad or like it gonna fail anytime soon. The worst area is where the leaf spring attaches to the frame is rusted through right above the weld on the inside of the front passenger side. Seems to me like a competent repair shop should be able to weld in some support pieces.
  • jdonivanjdonivan Member Posts: 1
    RustyTaco2005 - I am also from Canada and I just received bad news tht my frame is cracked. The garage thinks its becaise of rust. Did you get anywhere with Toyota? Can you please email me j_bucciarelli@hotmail.com
  • cunnercunner Member Posts: 1
    What has Toyota done if anything to the newer Tacomas (2006-2013) to prevent Frame Rust? I did hear that Toyota won a court case against the company that dipped/painted the frames. How does Toyota prepare the frames on newer trucks? Thank you

Cunner
  • rebecca668rebecca668 Member Posts: 2
    We also have a 2005 with a rusty frame. had it sprayed three years in a row was told that would ensure its safety.. Absolutely not.. It is very frustrating to take care of your vehicles have this happen. We already saw our service manager he said the frame failed.. but a Toyota Rep.. had to look at it because the 2005 weren't on the list.. for fixing or buying back,.. so I am stuck like most of you with an unsafe vehicle.. for the moment.. I called Toyota and got a case number.. although a case manager is supposed to call back with in 24 hours.. I guess because we had the rust proofing done.. the call center person thinks they may replace the frame but I am not holding my breathe.. Has anyone had any luck with Toyota helping them at all.? The number I called is 1- 800- 331 4331 option 3 ..

If anyone hears about a lawsuit or recall please email .. Pelham45s@yahoo.com

Rebecca`
  • rebecca668rebecca668 Member Posts: 2
    did you get the rust proofing done ?
  • ibanezbass671ibanezbass671 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, the company I work for owns a 2003 Taco here in Guam and as I speak, it's having its frame being replaced by our local Toyota Dealer, AK Guam.
    Apparently the recall campaign is still in effect here.
    Funny that we live in a humid, salt air environment and our 2003 Taco frame didn't look that rusted but we were informed that the VIN on our Taco is part of the chassis replacement program.
    I'm now driving a 2013 4 door crew cab as our loaner while the frame replacement is being done.
    I was not aware that the campaign stopped in December in states side and to see these post about the troubles you guys are facing?????
    We also have a 2005 (2nd Gen) Taco and the frame on that one still looks good as new???

Thought I share this
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2013
    Here is a post on Tacoma World fourm about a letter received from Toyota concerning what I believe is a 2006 Tacoma. Some very nasty pictures of frame rust on a 2006.

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Toyota may review individual requests even when the factory warranty has expired.

We have reviewed your circumstances, taking into consideration such factors as the vehicle's age and mileage in comparison to the manufacturer's original warranty, the nature of the repair, and any prior maintenance and repair history.

While we regret that you incurred this expense, your request for reimbursement has been declined.

Toyota values you as a customer, and we appreciate this opportunity to further review your request.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #1305081604.

Joanne Hahn
    Toyota Customer Experience

and another post:

This is a 2005 Tacoma (yes, oh five) extended cab TRD.

We're the second owner, purchased this from the dealership and they've done all major work / service on this vehicle. Incl new tires, alignment and regular rotation. We've had this a little over a year.

Had the truck in at the dealership for new brakes today. They called me to say that there was a major hole in the frame. see photo.

I said "is it safe to drive?" They said... "No".

They told me to call Toyota Corporate to open a case and get a case number. I got a case number and that's about all from the phone call.

They are following up with the regional toyota person.

There was one owner with a 2005 who, after posting 10-15+ posts on Tacoma world forum
    finally had the frame replaced by Toyota. There is no formal program in place for MY 2005+ but I think when the affected owners are vocal enough... whether through internet forums or at their dealer, Toyota is stepping up.
  • ruggedtruggedt Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    I have rust starting to work its way through my 2006. Toyota had me take it to a dealership for an inspection. They noted all my aftermarket parts; saying they caused the rust. Lift, rims, tires, ect... causing frame rust. THey're not going to help us. Here is the last response from them as well as a few pics.

imageimageimage

Subject
    Rust

Discussion Thread
    Response Via Email (Megan B.) 11/07/2013 03:50 PM
    Dear Stan G,

Thank you providing us with an update to your concern.

Our records indicate that the Customer Relations Manager at McGeorge Toyota performed the inspection of your Tacoma at no cost to you and advised that any repairs necessary would be the responsibility of the owner.

Please be aware the information you have provided is used in combination with warranty claims and other customer contacts to track trends with our vehicles. If in the future a Special Service Campaign (SSC)/recall or warranty enhancement is issued that would cover your specific issue, and you have already made repairs to the vehicle, Toyota would review your repairs for reimbursement at that time.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #1310310403. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Megan B.
    Toyota Customer Experience
  • chaacchaac Member Posts: 1
    Some better outcome — Toyota is replacing the frame on my 2006 Tacoma.

The truck breezed through inspection and winter tire installation. Then the mechanic noticed a rust crust on the frame, tapped it to knock it off, and opened a hole in the frame. Sorry, he said. It won’t pass inspection. The mechanic suggested that I bring it to the dealer for them to look at.

Dealer gave me an inspection appointment right away, with a “There is no replacement program” warning. They inspected the Tacoma and agreed to open up a case at the Toyota Customer Care Center. Said they’d talk with Tacoma offices and would get back to me.

As soon as I got home I sent in a complaint to NHTSA.
    "NHTSA Vehical Safety Complaint Information has been successfully submitted."

Next evening I got a call back telling me that the manufacturer had agreed to a free frame replacement, and that I should bring the truck in right away. They gave me a free loaner, a 2013 Tacoma, to use for the 4-6 weeks that it would take to get a replacement frame in and to make the replacement.

Maybe they appreciated that the bad frame was about to turn a loyal customer into a lost customer. Maybe they are getting enough complaints that they see the writing on the wall and are starting a replacement program with as little bad publicity as possible. Maybe they noticed that the NHTSA complaint had be filed. Whatever the explanation, the only bad news for me is that I'll have to give up the new Tacoma when they get the old one road-worthy again.
  • chandler09chandler09 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for that info! My 05 tacoma has a 1-1/2 inch hole in the frame from rust and cannot get anything from toyota on it. Haley toyota in Roanoke, Va wont help much at all. I filed a complaint with NHTSA just like you had posted and am hoping for an out come from this. I love this truck and WAS planning on keeping it for a long time. It has 184K miles and has been well taken care of and runs like a new one but an 8 year old truck should not have this issue.I have a 87 ford with less rust on its frame than this and thats sad!
  • nater419nater419 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Hi Chandler09, Did your Truck have the Rust proofing done in the past? I also have an 2006 Tacoma with a rusted out frame and was told it would only be covered if the rust proofing was done before 2012.
  • pegleripegleri Member Posts: 4

I'm starting the process of running my rust issue up the Toyota flagpole for the rust on my 2005 Tacoma.
    1- I have opened a case with NHTSA
    2- I went to my local Toyota and had them formally document the rust on the underside.
    3- They took pix and forwarded them to the regional Toyota rep who responded that he can't do anything because it's out of warranty
    4- They said I can keep running up the Toyota chain of command, but not sure exactly who to address it to. Any ideas?

Also, including some pix of the frame....

Rich

• rusttaco868976rusttaco868976 Member Posts: 1

I also have a 2005 Tacoma with frame rust and it will not pass inspection. My Toyota dealership told me to call Toyota customer service and they would help, but they are unwilling to do anything. I bought this car new and also have a second Toyota that I bought new. I have these cars routinely serviced at Toyota as well. I have been a loyal customer for many years and now they are screwing me over. I am starting to think these posts about Toyota helping people with rust on 2005+ Tacomas are BS. Probably shill posts by someone from Toyota. I am never buying another Toyota again.

• walt501walt501 Member Posts: 18

@knowsitall said:
    Well boxdin: You are clearly the epitome of ignorance.

First off, the Toyota frame problem was a result of their AMERICAN frame supplier... DANA.

Second, Toyota trucks (Tacoma and Tundra) are made in.... you got it... AMERICA. Specifically, they are mostly made in San Antonio TX.

Third, the various OTHER problems with Toyota trucks also point at AMERICAN supplier problems, like the LUK CLUTCH FAILURES (affecting R155 and RA60 manual transmissions) -- those POS clutches are manufactured by an AMERICAN company, in their MEXICAN factory. When replaced by the high quality AISIN clutch (manufactured in Japan), they last virtually FOREVER.

The RA60 transmission is plagued with problems. Made in ALABAMA. Not the R155 though, its made in Japan. Similar with the engines.... the 4.0 is made in ALABAMA, and makes weird noises and is susceptible to low oil pressure and premature wear as a result (some catastrophic failures). The 2.7 is indestructible -- MADE IN JAPAN.

Time and again, all the problems that Toyota has been having with product quality are... AMERICAN problems. The stuff that comes from Japan is BULLETPROOF.

Thanks, but I'll steer as far away from AMERICAN GARBAGE as I possibly can. You can go enjoy your dodge or whatever other piece of trash you own, enjoy its 3 year life span.

This is a typical response from a paid Toyota shill. Toyota - the company - is responsible for ensuring that every part that they use to assemble a vehicle meets their design standards. Once a part is affixed to the vehicle, no matter where it is built, Toyota is saying that it meets their quality standards. The fact that so many frames are rusting means that either Toyota specified inferior steel and rust proofing for the frame or they didn't bother to test the frames they were receiving from the outside supplier. In either event, the responsibility lies with Toyota. By putting their badge on the hood and selling it to the consumer, Toyota is saying "This vehicle meets our standards".

Best wishes to all who are trying to wrangle with Toyota to get your vehicles fixed. If it were me, I'd hire an attorney that specializes in auto manufacturer defects and I'd keep chewing Toyota's rear end until the vehicle is fixed!

• farmerbob3farmerbob3 Member Posts: 1

I bought my 05 Taco TRD Off Road STD Trans. one year ago from Toyota dealer with 70k on it. Had to replace the intermediate shaft in Jan $522 - ouch. Airbag light came on couple of weeks ago, so had them check that issue. Spiral cable is shot, needs replacement - for $650 - ouch. Only had it for 10k miles (hmmm) While performing that, they found the frame to be rotted, and needs to be replaced - $13k and need truck for a month - HUGE OUCH! They say Toyota will cover the frame, and gave me a shiney white Tundra for the month B) . I hope the Taco is put back together well. Wonder what's next with this "solid" "bulletproof" "reliable" truck - hmmmm.

• tomapop2000tomapop2000 Member Posts: 1

Hey Ruggedt or anyone else that has had their frame replaced....how is it driving after the replacement? Any other problems? What else had to be replaced?

• joedirt05joedirt05 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2014

RuggedT sold his rustoma and got a Ford. If you go on tacomaworld.com and search for 05+ frame rust, you'll find a bunch of threads about the issue. I have the same issue and opened a complaint with NTHSA and a case with toyota. I was told tough [non-permissible content removed], out of warranty, it's your problem. This is the last toyota I will ever spend my money on. Longest lasting, most dependable vehicles on the road my [non-permissible content removed].

• kanman151kanman151 Member Posts: 1

I've been reading this thread for quite a while (just joined today to post this) and appreciate the info it has provided. I have a 2005 Taco quad cab TRD 87,000 miles with serious frame rust issues. I received a recall notice from Toyota last week. Today was my appointment, and to my amazement Toyota is replacing my frame. Apparently it is still safe to drive but they found perforations. The parts are currently on order and should come in 12-16 weeks from now. I bought this truck and 2007 and have been living with this rust issue for a long time. I'm glad Toyota has decided to do the right thing. For any of you out there with the same issue you should inquire again with TOA about your rusty frame.... Good luck.

kanman151 said:

I've been reading this thread for quite a while (just joined today to post this) and appreciate the info it has provided. I have a 2005 Taco quad cab TRD 87,000 miles with serious frame rust issues. I received a recall notice from Toyota last week. Today was my appointment, and to my amazement Toyota is replacing my frame. Apparently it is still safe to drive but they found perforations. The parts are currently on order and should come in 12-16 weeks from now. I bought this truck and 2007 and have been living with this rust issue for a long time. I'm glad Toyota has decided to do the right thing. For any of you out there with the same issue you should inquire again with TOA about your rusty frame.... Good luck.

how did the replacement go? i just got my recall notice and my dad is dealing with the corporate office on his that he was forced to trade in 2 years ago due to his frame.