Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The beauty of the HSD system is that as an Atkinson cycle engine it's tuned for running at it's most efficient level nearly all the time. It does however give up all low end torque to get to this efficiency. MG2 however provides the low end torque in massive quantities @ 295 lb-ft at rpm #1.

When the vehicle ( Gen2 ) is running at speeds lower than 41 mph and the GO pedal is released the ICE shuts off entirely ( ! ) and a) the vehicle coasts or b) MG2 moves the vehicle.

When the vehicle is running at speeds over 41 mph the ICE runs at 1500-1600 rpms nearly all the time except when the computer decides that it isn't needed as much, then the ICE is turned down to idle speed of about 950 rpms ( coasting , rolling down a hill or overpass, slowing for traffic, etc. )

Only in heavy full acceleration does the engine rev all the way up to 3000+ rpms and that's not for long.

Over at Priuschat.com a group of technophiles from all over the world have torn these things down and mapped almost every variable possible.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Thanks for the reply--that's news to me. I understand a little better now why some were saying that hybrids were efficient, even on the highways, but I couldn't understand why when the ICE was running all the time and the electric engine (MG2?) seemed not to... all I remember was seeing on the Prius screen driving on the highway was the electric motor giving power to the ICE once in a while.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Watching the energy screens on the Prius is necessary for me for a while to understand the differences, even though the systems are almost identical.

As I cruised into town yesterday I noticed that on pure EV when you can only go so far till the battery runs down, that as I was driving at 35 to 40, the ICE was running, charging the battery as well as providing driving force and the generator was providing some propulsion yet showing the battery being charged at the same time. I was getting an instant reading of about 75mpg while the battery was staying fully charged as it cycled back and forth. This seemed to be a much more sustainable operating mode than EV and looked like it could go on indefinately.

Bob, I'm curious, in Nags Head last year I drove the TCH for 300 miles and got around 45 mpg. I'm guessing with the Prius in the flat, slower roads that 65 to 70 might indeed be reasonable?
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    Nice to understand what the computer is doing but forget about EV. It turns off when you hit 30-32mph OR when the charge drops below almost full or when you hit the accelerator OR...
    The boost is there when you need it to pull away from a stop light or pass on the highway or go up a short hill but that's all. Anything more would require a much bigger battery. The 2010 is a little better because the ICE is more powerful, the battery is a little bigger and you can put it in POWER mode manually.
    Yes in my 2005 I took a leisurely 50 mile drive one Sunday from KDH to Corolla and back and averaged 65 mpg. I didn't push it at all. However on my daily 150 mi RT commute from OBX to VA at 60 mpg I'm at the national average of 47.5 mpg making no special efforts at all.

I'd expect this number to be about 53-55 mpg on the new Gen3. I have a friend who just picked up his 3rd Prius. He put 246,000 miles on his Gen 2 in 5-1/2 years and his number is also 47 mpg lifetime; 44-45 in winter and 49-51 in summer. He's my barometer for what to tell people. He'll put 250,000 mi on his Gen 3 also.
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    OK, I need help.

I have read and re-read the manual; done what was said; the lights blinked ......
    but the door does not open.

Next, I went through the mode where you press the learn button on the opener.
    Same results ....

Any suggestions?

New G3 - IV 3 days old.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I can't speak for the Prius but if the door openers in your car are like my wifes in her STS and your garage door openers have the newer codes that change each time you open them rolling codes I believe it is called then the instructions in your manual are most likely wrong. I just checked and your car has the homelink system installed so go to the www.homelink.com site and you can with a little hunting find the instructions for programing your car. What is in the book if like the wifes STS is correct but there is an additional step or two to finalize it so it will work correctly all the time. Since the rolling code openers have been out for many years you would think the auto companies would update their books or at the very least give you the site to go to for downloading the instructions. I downloaded mine and keep a copy with the garage door opener manual. P.S. read and reread the instructions as they only give you so much time to preform the operations and it took me about 3 tries if I remember. We had in the mean time left the garage door opener also in the car after programing and a few days later wife complained the built in wasn't working. Come to find out she was at different times using the one that came with the opener and I think that messed up the built in as it wasn't no longer the primary opener. Anyway redid it and put the one in the console and so far after about 3 months it hasn't missed a beat.
  • jpeters1970jpeters1970 Member Posts: 82
    Hi There KD. I too am a participant in some of the Prius forums and yes you are correct. Those guys really know their stuff with respect to the Prius. You mentioned that at speeds over 41MPH the engine turns @ ~ 1600 RPM constantly. Does that mean that if I am going say 65 MPH the engine is only spinning @ 1600 RPM. That sounds awful low. I wish there was a tach to actually see the RPM. I know there is a SCAN GAUGE that people have spoken about but that's TOO much information for my needs :):) . I would have thought that at cruising speeds the RPMs would be higher than what you stated. However, I must say that when I am traveling at highway speeds the engine does not seem to be taxed whatsoever.
  • newballgamenewballgame Member Posts: 2
    All those new electronic goodies, such a lead especially over the big 3, yet Toyota haven't taken advantage of the real world experience of hybrid drivers. I don't want great mileage I want fantastic mileage. Apparently one of the tricks involves putting the hybrid into electric only mode when your just about home (hypermiling). I don't want to have to remember this all the time. These cars all have GPS. Why not smart GPS? Have a small dash light brighten as you approach home and/or work. You're suppose to 'anticipate' a red light and get off the 'gas' and let the hybrid glide and regenerate the battery. But what if the traffic light is up over the hill? Shouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure all the traffic light timings are kept on computer. Download them to your 'smart hybrid' and that dash light starts glowing orange? when you're going up a hill and can't even see the red light up ahead. You back off the 'gas' and go over the hill just as the traffic lights turn from red back to green. Nice. And you get the gas savings for any non-hybird too. Just need the tech boys to come up with the smart GPS.
    I am not putting your idea down ... I like your thinking. I too see great potential in the GPS, and have enjoyed a hand-held for years (Garmin) and now I have GPS in my new G3. But that having been said ... GPS is not without faults. For example, my last two addresses did/do not appear on the GPS. And, the media reports the USAF is not properly maintaining the satellite system.

Today, I was letting the GPS guide me home, and when we were approximately 1 mile from home, it announced we were home and would quit navigating. I suspect it is wholly due to the fact that our street does not appear on the maps.

I am currently achieving 54.1 mpg .... I call that fantastic!!

There is a lot of talk about all electric vehicles. Interesting, and encouraging, but I suspect that day is a long way off in the future. The issues have already been discussed, so I will not repeat them here, but I think for now, my Prius gas/electric is the answer for me an my wife and our circumstances.
  • jbedijbedi Member Posts: 2
    Toyata brochure states that solar panel/sunroof option is available with 2010 Prius trim level III, but local Toyota dealer in the SF today told me that it is available only with Trim level IV. Is it only in SF that solar panel option is not available with Trim level III or the brochure is incorrect?
    Next, I went through the mode where you press the learn button on the opener.
    Same results ....

Did you go through the learn cycle by pressing the button on homelink 3 times for two seconds? Mine always thats all three
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Each Toyota region gets cars with various option packages. Not all regions get the same allocations. It's likely the combo you are looking for is not available in the SF area but is available elsewhere.
  • jbedijbedi Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I also suspected something like that. I wonder if there is a way to find out what cities/regions might have solar panel package with trim#3.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Your Toyota dealer should be able to check for you. You can also try the configurator on toyota.com and enter various zip codes, but I have found that isn't foolproof.
  • newballgamenewballgame Member Posts: 2
    HEll then let's kill 2 birds with one stone ( it's an old saying I love birds ). If the 'smart' GPS i outlined was out of wack then it wouldn't correctly notify you of a red-light over the hill/around the corner and you wouldn't slow up. That means you'd hit the red light. But the smart gps would be programmed to say .... mmm I see the car as being 1/4 mile from the next light but the driver has just gone over the hill/round the corner and stopped at a light...so my tracking is off by that 1.4.......autocalibrate... back on track. A little too tecky sounding? Look up ETAK ( wikipedia it for some interesting history ... founded by the boss of ATARI in 1983 ..used a computer with a 8-bit processor 8088 and stored the digital road maps on .... tapes. yup no hard drives then...and no satellite links ). Delco, the german guys Blauplunk and some other biggies licensed the technology when ETAK realized the electronics needed to be better. They stuck to making the digitized maps. Sony eventually bought them out in 1995 but of course satellite GPS was on its way.

54 mpg is nice. Better than most. But how about 70 mpg. and a self-correcting gps.
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    can anyone tell me if i can change the headlights of my 10 prius. I got the package IV and i dont like the headlights. they are too dark. can i change the bulbs to make them brighter/ whiter. right now it is very amber like. thanks very much.
    There is a lot of discussion on PriusChat about this. It is being done. Not just changing out the headlights for brighter bulbs but installing HID's. There is also discussion as to why buy the IV (except for desiring the sunroof) when people immediately want to install aftermarket headlights and 17" wheels.
    OK, I need an explanation ...... in simple terms please.

I assume the image represents -"watt hours"? or "watts/hour"?

I assume that signifies the power that is generated (returned to the battery) by what? the regen? the engine? On the 5 min display, the little images do not extend all the way to the top of the graph .... so I assume that while I am achieving, say 50 mpg, is is being obtained via two separate processes?

What useful informationm is that to me? For maximum efficiency, should I be striving to make as many images as possible?

I have not had my car a week yet, so maybe in time I would have figured it out, but I assume the target is to get as many images as possible. I have been practicing "pulse and glide" (P&G) and I can see real merit in that process, but I have mot made the connection between P&G and the little images.

The manual mentions "50wh," but I have not found an explanation. Then somewhere I read about "30wh." I assume that is not as good?
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    Hi Group,

I will be joining this discussion group because we just purchased a 2010 Prius IV which we will be taking delivery of on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have been waiting to get a Hybrid Vehicle for three years so I am quite excited about our new purchase. The Prius will be replacing a Ford Explorer that gave us 9.5 years of good service once the bugs were corrected.

If you would like to get information on the operation of and terminology used for Toyota Synergy system I suggest you go to the Howstuffworks.com website. You will get an explanation of how the system works and the terminology used to describe the energy derived from electric motors.
    I believe that for the present none of the Prius III anywhere in the US are getting the SR package. I believe that this is true just for this rollout period. I'd expect the SR package to be offered soon down the road as demand warrants it.

It clearly is an option in all the brochures and it has always been one of the ordering options ever since Toyota announced the vehile back in January. Just a matter of time I think.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    It appears there are about 10 SR optioned vehicles available immediately in the Southeast region, and another 50 available between now and the first week in August.
    As 1225 models or as 1227 models. I don't think that Toyota is sending any 1225 models here with the SR package. I might be wrong tho since we don't see any of the SET or GST allocations.
    Under "safety" section of the Prius lists these two features (driver assisted parking assist and front & rear parking sensor) however, I just bought the package IV with solar roof and I dont see these 2 features?? can anyone answer for me ?

I just bought the package IV a few days ago and at first, I did not like it very much, because going from a Lexus ES to a Prius is a huge difference, however, after a few days of driving it, I like it more and more. It is fun to drive. the power is better than I expected for a hybrid, it is fun to drive. Because I have been using A/C all the time so I dont get the 50+ mpg yet, but I still get apprx 40+ mpg. Blue tooth, back up camera are very nice. there are only a couple "wish for improvements" : the halogen head lights are not bright enough (actually little dark) and for a 30k vehicle, I expect to see some luxury wood grain in the dash. I wish HID is an option in package IV. :):)
    does anyone know how to program the homelink in the Prius if I dont have the remote control for the garage ? thanks
    If it's a newer garage door opener you'll have to use the learning key on the opener itself anyway. Instructions are in the OM and it will sometimes take all three pushes as explained in the manual.
    I don't think it is possible as you NEED the old remote in the first part to hold the button down along with the button on the homelink.
  • chris_haddockchris_haddock Member Posts: 3
    Just to let anyone undecided about the new 2010 Pruis V - don't wait another minute. I was lucky enough to purchase one 3 days ago. What an experience. It will probably take me quite a while to learn everything that my car is capable of doing, but am enjoying learning each feature one at a time. My car is equipped with every bell and whistle that is available on this model. Wow!! What a trip. Things I did not even know were possible come with this model. Go to your nearest Toyota Dealer and drive one. My new car is fabulous.

Christine
    All the vehicles that I listed were 1225 models with the SR package.

There are another 21 - 1227 models in the Southeast Region with the SR package available from now through the first week in August.
    Here is a link to one such vehicle with the SR package.

Toyota Link
    Please trust me that I am not poking fun at other contributors to this and other forums. Rather, I feel genuinely fortunate, because I now own a fantastic vehicle.

I own a G3, IV and find that it is quiet, comfortable, most economical, and fun to drive. I like the looks too. I purchased it for it's fuel efficiency, which to date is greater than the EPA figure. That is great!! But, in addition, I have found the NAV system is functional, and very clear; The drive comfort is much better than expected, it is stable, and drives straight without issue; the interior is tomb quiet; the audio system is better than my hearing .... no complaints; the seats are comfortable even on moderately long trips (longest has been 250 miles to date); and I could go on and on.

Truthfully, I have enjoyed every car I have owned. My last was an Acura RSX (a lot of fun to drive, and very economical). Prior to that I owned a 2001 Toyota Highlander, (great car)(traded in on the Prius). The list includes another Acura, another Toyota, a Nissan, two VW's, and long before that several Fords.

I know that many feel a $25-30,000 vehicle should be perfect. I have not found many "perfect" things in my life, but I have found many excellent things. So far, I include the 2010 Prius on the "Excellent" list. I tend to thoroughly research a product, make the best deal possible, and then enjoy the purchase. If a problem develops, I try to solve it, but some writers seem to search for problems, or features they do not like, or list features they wish it had.

I suppose I have enjoyed reading others comments, but most often I conclude how glad I am that mine does not have that problem.

I sure do feel smart when I fill up the tank ..... thank you Toyota.
    Since you have the nav unit can you tell me if you go to the screen with points of interest (at least that is what most nav units call it) and go to where you look for restuarants and click on that. Does it give you a read out of restuarants starting with the closest ones and going farther out? Reason being we are looking for a new car when wifes car is off lease at the end of the year and her current one doesn't do that. What it does is you go to the map and turn on the icons for restuarants and then you have to touch each icon to see what the name of the restuarant is. We drove a Ford Fusion Hybrid this morning and it has the feature with the readout and also a very beautiful screen too. Thank you for your help.
    Hi, I will tell you what we have learned thus far. The "points of interest" feature will take more time to understand all it's capabilities. We are taking a mini-vacation this week, and will learn more about that feature.

When driving on the Interstate, it does show the next three exits before you. It does list gasoline, lodging, food and "$" .... not sure if that means "ATM" or a bank. Again, that feature will need to be understoof a bit better. One aspect of the NAV that I have not become accustomed to ... the vehicle cannot be moving when changes are entered. I tend to get in and go, and my wife complains that I did not give her enough time to set things up. The name of the restuarant is not shown (that I have seen). Some have complained about teh clarity of the screen. The only complaint I have is all the fingerprints on the touch screen.

I considered the Fusion, but could find no dealer that had one to drive. The local Ford dealer did not even meet me in the showroom floor or when we walked around the lot. I mused that they must not be hungary enough yet.

I have read good things about the Fusion, and I like the looks of it, but alas, I went for the mileage, and the Toyota reputation. Actually, I considered giving Ford my business for not accepting the govt money. But in the end, I went with the Prius, and do feel I could not have done any better. As I mentioned, I traded a 2001 Toyota that has been an outstanding vehicle.

Good luck.
    Yes.

You can also do it by voice command...my favorite is..'I'm hungry'. that will bring up all the icons on the map around your present location.
  • donewithvwsdonewithvws Member Posts: 47
    felt - how did you "make the best deal possible"? i am in the market for a new car and prius is topping my wish list but i have been unable to get any quotes down from sticker. i would love the IV with the solar package but, as a new young professional, im probably being a bit overzealous and would be fine without the leather. i have a 3 hour commute and have had my little vw cabrio for seven years so its time for something more reliable and efficient - any advice is appreciated!
    I dont know what state you live in. I am in southern CA. and I just bought a white exterior and beige interior package IV with solar roof and navi. Even though package IV and V are rare compared to other packages, but you still should be able to get at least a few hundred dollars off the MSRP. I got $400 off but I could have hassle for at least $100 off.
    I admitted at first when I first got the car, I did not like it and kind of regretted it, but the more I drive and learn about the vehicle, the more I like it. If you want to save little money, you can skipp the solar roof, but I highly recommend the Navi. it is worth getting the Navi. the solar make it looks very nice, especially with a white exterior; however, the solar is not really practical. Dont take me wrong, I enjoy the solar roof, but if you want to cut a few bucks off the price, you can skip the solar.
    good luck
    The guys at the Fusion Hybrid forum as stated that lots of dealers are giving good discounts on them though a little less gas mileage than the Prius it may work better later on as a family car plus if you can save a good deal of money on one it may make up for the little bit less gas mileage plus it is shaped like a regular car and I feel easier to see out of. That I think at this time is what the wife is getting when her lease is up.
    I just briefly looked at the Ford Fusion and it looks really nice! I was kind of sticking with the Toyotas and Hondas because I drive a few hours a day and they have a reliable reputation, but it does seem like the Ford has a lot to offer. I'm kind of a techie and I was surprised to see the Ford offers the nav with voice command and bluetooth, etc. and I'd be interested to see if their software is as good as the rest. How did it test drive compared to the Prius?
    I personally thought it was hands and feet over the Prius. I was lucky to drive both cars with leather and I thought the leather was nicer, the car smelled like leather where I didn't get that smell in the Prius. I didn't like the gearshift on the Prius as I thought it was confusing and then the push button for park. Why didn't they put in a regular shifter like a normal car? The Fusion had a very nice center console with lighted cup holders which I thought was great as most cars don't have that feature and on my HHR I have to hunt for it in the dark. I liked the stereo in the Ford better and the display on the Ford is I think is light years ahead of the Prius. I guess the thing I just couldn't get used to was the instrument panel (or lack of) compared to the Fusion. Fusion had big speedo right between the spokes in the steering wheel and 2 LCD displays, one on each side of the speedo that you can get almost anything you ever wanted to know and then some. The Sirius Sat. radio with travel link was cool for the few minutes I played with it. I clicked on temp. and my state and city and it gase me the current temp plus I think it was also a 5 day outlook but don't remember. Both cars sticker for about the same with the same options and the only advantage I could see to the Prius was the rear seat folds down where as on the Ford the batteries are behind the rear seat so the backseat back rests I guess against the battery pack somehow. But this way there was room in the trunk for suitcases and the spare was tucked under the trunk floor like a normal car. I guess the Prius in a way reminds me of my old 71 Mustang fastback and that was hard to see out of due to the blindspots. All I can say if you can locate a nav. Fusion Hybrid drive it. Even without the Nav. I's still say drive one as you will always wonder if you made the right choice. During our test drive wifs said look, I've been going 45 on electric for a while now. She drives 5 miles to work on nice level road and speed limit is only 35 so I could see the dollar signs in her eyes compared to the 15mpg in town she gets now. I guess at my age I still like the regular car look but both cars are good cars and I'd say give Ford a chance if possible as they have really come up with a winner.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    Well, there are good reasons that the big 3 was and still is going down -> simply, inferior products. Ford seems to fare better at the moment, but, take a look at Fusion etc. yourself, overall it is still lagging behind its Japan/Korea rivals. Reasons are simple, relatively ~15% of money you paid for the car did not really go to the car (read UAW). No matter how well you dance around that, cannot change the fundamentals.
    When I started my next car search it never included Ford; I was all about Honda or Toyota; however neither dealers have been working with me on price - probably because they don't have to even in an economic downturn - which is why I decided to expand my options. I have heard a lot of chatter about the Ford Fusion, as well as many other American car companies having great deals right now. Even still, my top two choices are the Prius and the CR-V. Prius because it might be smart given my 120 mile per day commute, and CR-V because it would help with the nasty winter commutes up here in New England, and I really just feel comfotable in it.
    If anyone has any suggestions on car choices for a commuter who is also kind of a techie(love the navs with voice recognition and bluetooth etc), I am all ears.
    Also, I need help negotiating a fair price when it comes down to it!
    Felt Here,

Today I drove our Prius 300 miles (to the Tetons). I am more impressed than ever. Comfortable, quiet, great NAV .... and 57.7 mpg. Gas in Wyoming is $2.459.gal, so you can see the day cost less than $15.00. I drove up and down the Teton Grade (10% up and 10% down) the hybrid did not even strain even with the A/C on.

I do not understand comments about the "shift lever." It is not a shift lever at all. In much less than a week of ownership, I have completely adapted to the selector, and it is perfectly convenient when going to the "brake" function, for example when going down a long 10% grade.

I can understand that others like the Ford Fusion, actually I like it as well, and may have made that choice had I not gone with Toyota. We all make our own choices. Some like the Fusion profile .... I like the profile of the Prius. It slips through the wind almost without any noise.

Every aspect of the Prius design has fuel efficiency, comfort and reliability as a focus. It has been said before, the Prius is not a direct competator with the Fusion. Ford applied a hybrid system to a gasoline Ford Fusion, just as they did with the Escape, and a number of other manufacturers as well. Toyota did the same with the Camry, Honda did it with the Insight, and will do so again with the Fit. Each has achieved a degree of improved economy by doing so. As near as I can determine, only the Prius was designed from the inception to be what it is .... and they are now in the third generation of the design.

Have a great day!
    Felt - I really do think the Prius would be the smarter choice for me with my 120 mile per day commute but I do have a few reservations, mainly with visibility. Do you feel there are blind spots in its design and do you ever get used to that bar across the back? When I was test driving, the bar prevented me from seeing cars in my rearview that were a little futher behind me. I also feel a little claustrophobic in it for some reason...are these all things I'll become accustomed to? Other than that, I love the performance and all the little techie aspects that come with it, so if I could just get past the visibility/claustrophobia aspect and get over my 4WD obsession, I think I could really like it...
    Thats why the Honda Insight gets such great reviews. The quality of the materials are 3rd world at best. Maybe it was made in India. Personally I have no problem with the UAW as I live in Mich. and have seen first hand the things they do. Of course you being from CA. I expect that. You are the type of person a few years ago wouldnever buy the Chevy badged Toyota built in CA. by UAW as you would have said like most people who had their heads buried in the sand that the toyota was better even though they both came down the same assembley line. Try this out. http://tinyurl.com/lnucbo Of course maybe you should hire a UAW person to run your state as it sure doesn't run well now. :P
    So where does the extra 15% from Honda/Toyota go along with the rest of the profit. Oh yea, back to Japan. I bet it you all in CA. could use some of that money the American Car Co. give to their states. What does Toyota and Honda do your your state. By the looks, NOTHING. Plus those many hundreds of thousands of active and retired UAW people pay a whole lot of taxes to their cities and states. I could go on buy I think you get the picture. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :P
    Plenty of threads around to praise the UAW and the Big 31, or even comparing the Prius to the Fusion or Insight, but this is specifically about the 2010 Prius, of which was not even mentioned in your comments.
    donew/vw's,

Blind Spots: - I was a bit concerned about that initially. My other vehicle is a full-size truck, and it has taught me to use the outside mirrors. My previous car was a Acura RSX, and it had serious blind spots. I figure only a convertible with the top down offers completely visibility. No car designer can provide the cabin protection now demanded without sizable corner structures.

The horizontal bar: Yes, it is in the line of sight, but again, I use the outside mirrors. I have the NAV package, so when backing, the camera gives a pretty good view behind. However, I use the camera only to check for children or obstructions that may be out of view of the mirrors ... I still like the mirrors, and use them when backing. When I look through the inside rear-view mirror, I see the bar, but a little more distracting is the rear hatch is brighter (it is not tented) and the lower area is darker. Honestly, I have not become use to the two levels of brightness. Also, the RSX had a very poor view through the rear view mirror. So, it is all in what you become comfortable with.

Claustrophobic: I have never had problems with that; that being said, the RSX was even more "confining." We have the tan leather interior, and maybe it is the blend of tan and dark that gives me depth ..... Plus, there is a wonderful view of the road ahead. So many sedans have extended hood blocking most downward view. That probably helps too. ....... no I have not felt claustrophobic.

4WD - I traded in a Toyota Highlander with AWD. That concern almost broke the deal for me. I talked with 4-5 other Prius owners in our development (I live in Utah and we do get snow). They all said they drive their Prius Winter and Summer, and they have never had a problem. The city does clear the roads, and there should be no problem except with accumulated drifts. The Prius is lower to the road than the Highlander. If it gets too deep I will drive my truck ... but they are not that great in snow either.

When the Toyota Venza came out I looked at it and thought that was the direction we would go. Then I noticed how small the windows were, and I felt "limited." In the Prius I sit up (I am 6'3") and see over the sill, plus the wonderful panorama of the road ahead..

I know you won't, but do not buy based on my comments. Some people have rented Prius' and get a better behind the wheel experience than a dealer will permit.

BTW, my wife wanted a Lexus SUV. She objected to how low the Prius is to the ground. But today she told me she found the car completely comfortable on our 300 mile mini-vacation. And she is aware that we could not have afforded to go if it had not been for the fantastic fuel efficiency.
    'Fair' price is absolutely relative.

A fair price on a brand new Prius is prolly MSRP, +/-
    A fair price on a brand new Jetta TDI, sedan or sportwagon is MSRP, +/-
    A fair price on a brand new Insight is prolly a discount, Honda doesn't give discounts easily.
    A fair price on a brand new FFH is prolly a small discount. Most dealers I understand have one or none.

The four vehicles are not really in the same class.
    An Insight is a subcompact 5 door hatch
    A Prius is a tweener, between a compact and a midsizer
    The Jetta's are also tweeners,
    A Fusion is a midsized sedan.

The Prius gets the best fuel economy ( FE ) by far overall
    The Jetta gets equally good FE on the Hwy but suffers in the city
    The Insight gets very good FE overall
    The Fusion gets the best FE for its class, but not amongst this group.

The Jetta is prolly the most fun to drive but as a commuter that's prolly not all that important.
    The Insight, Fusion and Prius follow behind, subjective.

The Fusion is prolly the most comfortable.
    The Prius, Jetta and Insight are may be less so, subjective.
    I have a 150 mile commute every day and currently 122,000 miles on mine.

There are NO blind spots at all. In fact the visibility is better than most any other vehicle.
    kdhspyder - wow - that's a lot of miles! what year do you have and how is it holding up after all that mileage??
This discussion has been closed.