Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
edited August 2014 in Toyota
Is it time, yet, for a dedicated 2010 Prius thread? I see a few mentions in other threads, but it's hard to find and dig it out. It won't be that much longer before they hit the street ,so why not.

Release details are out. So what is everyone's favorite new feature? The styling? More power? Better mileage? More creature comforts?

I don't know if I'd spring for it, but the integrated solar panels and the associated climate control (that circulates air to keep the parked car's interior closer to outside air temps) seems fairly neat.

The improved mileage is more important to me than the improved acceleration.

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Normally we don't do separate model year discussions, but since the Prius is changing, we can use this as our jumping off point. Discussion of problems will still go in the various "issues" discussions we have, such as:
    Toyota Prius Interior & Passenger Comfort Issues
    Toyota Prius Electrical and Lighting Questions
    Toyota Prius: MPG-Real World Numbers

But we'll use this one as the general starting point for model year 2010 and beyond!
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Does anyone have a firm "on-sale" date for the 2010 Prius? I sure hope this car isn't delayed like the 2009 Corolla was.

I've heard April '09 as a tentative date and that would be fine but I have a feeling summer '09 is more likely.

Comments?
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    Overview of new features on Toyota site:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/prius/#/new-features/
    I haven't seen anything firm. The Toyota site still isn't talking. I imagine they will wait until a reasonable amount of the 2009 models have sold and are off the dealer lots.
    Looking through the Toyota site and the new features:

I wonder if the radar in the collision-avoidance system sets off everyone's radar detectors? Lane Keep Assist is cool, but I probably wouldn't pay for it.

I like that this Generation has the three drive modes. The solar roof and starting the A/C from a fob are both cool, as is the "touch tracer" that displays the steering wheel controls on the instrument panel as you adjust them.

Jury is still out on the LED lights. If they are as directional, with as sharp of cutoff, as some HID and projector headlights, I don't think I'd like them. Oh, I'd enjoy having them from the driver’s seat, but not like the fact that every time I hit small bump or crest a hill or an intersection, the front end jumps up enough to blind oncoming traffic. That is why I've avoided HID and/or projector bulbs up to this point.

My wife's motorcycle has a projector low-beam and it drives me crazy as she follows me. Every bump, crest, or accel/de-accel sequence changes the brightness enough that it looks like she is flashing the light. I often have her turn on her high beam as it is a standard bulb/reflector and not a projector and is less of a bother than the "flashing" projector beam. While these types of headlights don't act quite as bad in cars, they are still pretty aggravating for other traffic anytime the front of the car lifts enough to raise the bean angle.

The new body style looks good and seems to give more headroom front and back which will be a big plus. They moved the roof line "bulge" further back with great effect. It’s interesting to compare images of the 2009 and 2010 side by side. The changes become more apparent when doing so.

It will be interesting to see one in person when they hit the ground.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    I am glad this site exists because I just ordered a white 2010 Prius.

My $500.00 downpayment is conditional on the price of the Prius and its options.

Similar to Chadx I am interested in the solar sun roof as an option.

Collision avoidance, park assist, lane-keep assist sound fine and well but I hope to rely on my own senses and experiences in terms of collision avoidance, lane-keeping skills and parking. If I cant rely on my own senses than I should not be behind a steering wheel to begin with.

LED lights? I can live without those too.

Delivery? I was told ending May. April they should have testers at dealerships. I live in Toronto Canada so delivery dates may be different in the USA.

The things I like about the Prius are interior dimensions(similar to the Accord and Camry with much more leg space and more cargo space), fuel efficiency, high technology that is not even found in expensive luxury cars, practical hatchback and last but not least a history of solid reliability.

I drive a 07 BMW335i and it has been dreadful in terms of never ending reliability issues. I paid $3.2K for 17 inch Bridgestone snow tires and my car is still undriveable during minor snow flurries. Also an endless amount of speeding tickets occured since owning my BMW335i. I just hope I dont get traffic tickets for going too slow with my Prius as I try to maximize fuel consumption. ;)
    Great site:

Very helpful site in terms of option packages available for the 2010 Prius.

This particular link is the best site I found so far in terms of info about the 2010 Prius:

link title
    Good link. Finally nice to see some details. Disappointing how some features are not available without adding a bunch of other things or how one feature means you can not have another, but hopefully this is just the "first batch" and the individual options will be available in a better mix and match in the future.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    In the beginning some decisions have to be made. Then after the buying public makes its voice heard by means of its wallets and pocketbooks the options and packages can be rationalized to a core few.

If vehicles with certain options sit longer than the rest then those options will be changed. Ones that are flying off the lots will be made in greater quantities.

One of the surprising discoveries of the Gen 2 Prius is that the initial buyers for the first 3-4 years almost all wanted the top package with all the options. When leather was added in 2006 that became a hot option as well.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Just when you thought it could not get any uglier...

I think it looks better than the previous generation. At least from that angle.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Agreed. Also the interior looks much better than the 2004-9 generation.
    Ugly?

This car was designed for less resistance. Its aerodynamic body design accomplishes the world's best coefficient of drag (Cd), thereby improving fuel efficiency.

Sounds impressive to me, dont you think?

This Prius is a beauty in the eyes of an engineer or anyone who cares more about function over form (in otherwords substance over appearances). . In the eye of a person who likes pretty things? In that case this car is one ugly beast. ;)
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder....Actually the builder & owner. I was hoping for a somewhat more adbvanced styling change but alas, Toyota has kept it slightly subdued and moderate. Still, I see many good things in the 3rd Generation Prius. More changes interior than exterior as I see it. All the while Honda pays Toyota a real compliment seeing as the new "Insight" looks just like a Prius. ;)
    p.s. Great to see solar-roof and sunroof, better suspension (touring) and larger motor and even better mileage.
    If this is so so ugly then why are so many other manufacturers copying this famous style. Like Honda etc.....Besides that, there's the popularity of this so called ugly designer's perfection. Anyway....once again it's the same old story...Either you like it or you don't. Personally I think its great after so many miles 96K plus. I wasn't sure about buying the 3rd Gen Prius until I found out that dealers will be anxious to close much better deals and...now there's the latest offering by the "STEMULOUS PROGRAM" ...No Local State Tax on any new car buy B/4 the end of this year. ;)
    p.s. When was the last time you or anyone else had a vehicle for over 6 yrs and not a single problem? nuff said!!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Which came first the Pontiac Astec or the Prius? The Astec is a pregnant Prius without batteries and surely the ugliest car ever built. :shades:
    There is a bit more than a subtle difference between a Pontiac Aztec and a 3Generation Prius. One is wedge shaped due to aerodynamic fuel saving reasons and the other is due to bad styling.

If that is still too subtle to understand than maybe the following facts may make it a bit more clear why the Prius is the car that gets most positive recognition in the entire auto industry.

Consumer Reports--- Prius is the best overall value of any of the 300 models it has tested.

Number one in fuel economy

Most reliable car in the industry today

Top ranked green car among most surveys

Over engineered beyond anything you can get at this price range:

A pre-collision/radar system
    A solar sunroof
    Lane Keep system
    Electronic Pariking Assistance

And many other features that are not even found in cars many times its price.

Did you say it looks like an Aztec. If so it is one proud Toyota Aztec indeed and deserves to be recognized as the most significant car introduction in decades.

I am definitely buying one! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and man of man this car does make me passionately excited like no other car including my 2007 BMW 335i.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Dewey, have you seen the Lexus HS? I am also interested in the 2010 Prius. Saw both in Ottawa on the weekend. Was not impressed with the "blue" Prius. The colour did nothing for me or the car. The leather seats looked cheap and fit & finish was so-so. Hopefully and I'm pretty sure production models will look better. The HS made my mouth drool. What a beautiful looking vehicle. The interior was gorgeous. Better looking in person than the pictures on the web.

I currently own a Camry Hybrid (gets 47-50 miles per gallon city/highway summer driving). Great vehicle (so far). It is also rated very high by CR. Before I decide, I want to see pricing and colour availability. I just might keep what I have (for now). The Camry Hybrid with "B" package is already a fairly luxurious, quiet vehicle. And that's the hybrid set-up that the HS will have (with a few improvements).
  • greeneyespsugreeneyespsu Member Posts: 139
    So a brief backstory.. my car has died ('98 Cavalier), well, it would basically cost more to fix than it's worth. I've been looking for a new car for a few weeks now and had decided on a 2009 Lexus IS250 with premium and navi. On a whim, I stopped into the Toyota dealership to see the Corolla and sat in an '09 Prius and liked it (imagine that! :)), but was deterred because there was no sunroof. I heard from a dealer that there would be a sunroof in the 2010 so I decided to look it up online and was really impressed with all of the changes and new features on the 2010 Prius and I really want one. I'm absolutely set on the 2010, no chance on the 2009. I want the 2010 IV with Solar/Navi Package. Seeing as how my other car has died and I drive a lot for work visiting accounts (high visibility so feel free to add me to the preferred list to get one early Toyota, I will get you seen! ;)) I'm in more of a hurry than most people to find a new car, but I live in Los Angeles and sometimes we get things sooner than others. So my question is.. realistically, when is the soonest I could expect to be able to get a 2010 Prius? And when they do become available will they be more likely to be purchase only or will it be possible to lease just as quickly?? Thanks for your help!!
  • rtonenrtonen Member Posts: 8
    I'm saving up for a Prius. I know that at $4 a gallon i'll probably not recope the cost of buying another vehicle of similar equipment/class but that kind of comparison is mute. The reason why i want one is to help push forward the technology that will continue to lead toward new technologies that are greener/cost less and are manufactored with methods and material from cradle to cradle. Also if gas should go from 2 to 4 or 5 dollars a gallon again, i'll won't feel the pinch as much. I'll save in other ways such as maintainance costs, repair costs compared to a gas guzzlers/larger vehicles. And i am a believer that i can be green and still get style, comfort, and value. That is what the Prius represents.
    Petl,

I have seen the Lexus HS at the Toronto Auto Show and it looked just fine.

My preferences are different from yours. I am just looking for a car with cool technology and I cant think of any car that offers so much at such a reasonable price as a Prius.

If I was going to spend more money on a vehicle than a Prius it would be a Lexus RX450h. A hybrid RX serves my space/cargo needs far better than a HS and I expressed my interest for one a few weeks ago at a Lexus dealership.

I still have time to decide whether if it will be a PRius or a Lexus RX. At this point of time I favor a Prius. I am going to be selling my BMW 335i at a hefty depreciation loss and I am in no mood to spend more money on a luxury car that will lose its value faster than the stock market.

Good luck with your choice--whether you keep your hybrid Camry or buy a new HS/Prius..
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    link title
    Has the car that became a byword for ‘hybrid’ moved the game on enough? On the evidence of this first drive, the answer has to be yes! Toyota’s new Prius has some incredible, headline-grabbing fuel economy and CO2 figures, but beyond that, it’s just much better to drive – and far closer to a normal car. It’s also more attractive, and packed full of technology usually found on a flagship Lexus. The trouble is, it’s expensive – and we suspect buyers will find a regular diesel hatch more efficient out of town.
    "I'm saving up for a Prius. I know that at $4 a gallon i'll probably not recope the cost of buying another vehicle of similar equipment/class but that kind of comparison is mute. "

moot   Pronounced: [moot]
    1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
    2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.

mute  Pronounced: [myoot]
    1. silent; refraining from speech or utterance.
    2. not emitting or having sound of any kind.
    3. incapable of speech; dumb.
    4. (of letters) silent; not pronounced.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Those definitions were moot. :P
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    mute  Pronounced: [myoot]

I didn't know "mute" was pronounced my-oot! I always say mu-oot!

The Prius is a class ahead of the Insight and with Honda's prices coming in 10% higher than originally anticipated, Toyota has the real winner.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Just returned from Florida. Read an article in Autoweek where Toyota will "slash new Prius price to match Honda Insight". If the "slash" occurs in Canada it will likely sway me (and others) towards the Prius. I am also interested in the "cool" technology that will be available in the Prius.

I don't mind paying more for the better system, larger interior, more power, new tech toys, etc. However, let the game of "hybrid high-stakes price wars" begin.
    Unfortunately the Prius price slash so far is only applicable to Japan and nowhere else. Relative pricing between cars in Japan may not reflect such price differences elsewhere.

Next year there will be a bigger wagon version of a Prius. With my problematical BMW 335i still under warranty until 2010 it may be worth the wait. I want a comfy family car.

Based on what I read so far the Lexus HS mileage is not impressive at all. My much larger and roomier antique 83 MB300D almost gets the same mileage as a Lexus HS. The size difference between an HS and a Prius is not that substantial For me hybrids are all about mileage and the heavier and more loaded HS cancels out what hybrids are all about. In terms of "power" the HS wins hands down. But I am spoiled with all the power of my BMW twin turbo and almost any other car I drive wont amout to so much fun (at least when the car is working). So for me horse power is not the main objective here.

But then again the Lexus HS will be the most fuel efficeint luxury sedan out there today and that in itself is not too bad assuming a luxury hybrid is what you want.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Just test drove both cars back to back. Insight is a cute, smaller version of the Prius. I'm 6' 2", 200#. No problems fitting into the Insight. Lack of power very noticeable and handling was ok. It's about what you expect from a 98 hp hybrid. The price is about 4-5 K less then Prius. I believe you can purchase this car today for $1000. under MSRP. The back seat is small, small, small. This is a nice hybrid car for the money.

The 09 Prius was a much better driving car. The car is a little bigger, handles much better and excellerates much quicker. All in all, I think the Prius is the better car. I also believe the Prius is a large compact (not midsize) and the Insight is a true compact. I believe you can buy the 09 Prius this month for between 4-5 K under MSRP.

Once the 2010 Prius hits the floor, I don't expect to much wiggle room in reference to negotiations. I read all the reports like the rest of you guys. I just don't see it being worth the extra coin. And no, the 2010 Prius will not be priced like the Insight, they're not in the same class.

My choice is the 09 Prius for the $5000.00 savings. The Insight second if buying the basic hybrid then the 2010 Prius third.

I'll post after I make my purchase.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Not sure if it is just perception, but the most of the tested numbers (excluding Edmunds) say that the Insight is slightly faster than the 2009 Prius and slower than the 2010 Prius (though the new Motor Trend says that the Insight is also faster to 60 than the 2010 Prius). Most of the professional testers also say with reduced weight, the Insight is the better handler and sportier. The Prius is quieter and has a softer suspension though.

With all that said, I can't argue with the 2009 Prius being the bargain among this group now.
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I had a chance to drive it for about 25 miles City and highway and some Suburban driving. It's basically as powerful as my Honda Fit. I'm 5'7" tall and I set the front seat so I was comfortable and then sat behind myself in the back seat and it was a bit cramped. It drove well enough and for the driving I did it was ok. I have driven many Prius and the Insight is NOT in the same class and the dealer did NOT like me comparing it to the Fit and the Civic. But that's pretty much where it slots in.
    The Prius has the headroom and if the 2010 Prius is better and is out before I buy then I will probably go with it. I'll probably save the money and get a 2009 Prius if I need a car before the 2010's come out I hope the 2010 comes out this month.
    The Insights had a $2,000 ADM on them and I pointedly told the sales manager No Freaking Way! If I were to buy an insight I would not pay over sticker for it!
    The 2010 Prius I am on the list to try it and it will be my next car if it drives as well as I hope. The Insight feels like it has artificially weighted steering. The older Prius felt vague. The Base Civic LX offers far more performance than the Insight and has more options for less money.
    The insight is just not a car that I prefer and the engine does not shut off at lights like the Prius does.
    Bottom line I prefer the Prius, even the older one over the new Insight.
    bamacar and tiff_c

I agree completely that the current 09's with the 'closeout specials' being in effect are the bargains. The top Package 6 can be bought today for essentially what the baseline Package 2 was going for last summer. The current baseline Package 2 is just above the new Insight II prices and may even be lower if the dealers hold to the ADM's.

One idea that's apparently been adopted in Japan, and depending on how tight we the public are this year, is to continue the current Gen2 2009 Prius as a very basic model right above the Insight II prices. The 2010's would then begin at $23500-ish or so.
  • rbk3rbk3 Member Posts: 34
    Bamacar,

Perception is everything. If we raced the two cars the Insight will win based on your reviews.

The Insight may be quicker 0.10 - 0.20 sec 0-60mph but the engine in the Insight makes a very whinny sound when standing on the gas. Maybe this is why the Prius felt quicker. The dealer that drove with me also said he thought the car moved like a slug compared to the Prius.

Same with the handling. To me it felt better in the Prius.

I don't work for either company.
    One item to remember as to which car to consider buying is the fact that the '09 Prius is the 6th year same style hybrid and that is worth keeping in mind. The '10 Prius hasn't changed all that much although there are several engineering changes worth weighing in the decision. After seeing the 2010 model I have to say that if there are reasonable negotiations it may mean that the better choice could very well be the 2010 Prius. Just an opinion. As to the Insight, I like it but it lacks fit & finish that the Prius has.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The '10 Prius hasn't changed all that much...

No. Just a new platform with different suspension; new exterior (although a similar overall shape, but less drag); new interior with more room, new dashboard and center console, and new seats; mostly-new powertrain (larger and more powerful ICE, new batteries, etc.); and many new features including moonroof with solar panels.

Nope--not much new there. ;)
    True that. The skin looks the same but according to Toyota under the skin the 2010 is 90% different
    What I said still is generaly accepted in the Prius Circles. The "LOOK" is pretty much the same exterior. On the inside there are several changes. I went to an exclusive showing in Chicago a few weeks ago and had an oppertunity to take an "up close and detailed" check of the '10 Prius and yes I was presented the many new & improved details of the 3rd Gen Prius. I like it but only if the Price Is Right! I'm sure it will do well in this depressed market as opposed to other cars. Time will tell.
    The Insight feels more sporty than the Prius in much the same was as a Civic LX feels more sporty than a base level Corolla. But in reality The Prius feels more like an Accord or Camry and the Insight more like a Civic/Corolla.
    Although neither description is totally correct.
    2009 Prius = Big car feel
    Insight = Econobox feel
    My main concern is how much better the 2010 Prius is over the 2009. Sure it's all new and just the elimination of the bladder fuel tank makes me 10 times more interested in it vs the 2009. Where I live we have very cold winters. Bladder tank can be an issue around here.
    I need a car by the end of the month and seriously doubt the 2010 will be out then, so the question is how long can I wait and how much ADM will dealers add to the new model. For certain they WILL do it at least in my area.
    $2,000 ADM on an Insight and I told the Honda Dealer I could buy a new Prius for that and this was an Insight LX!
    He basically said that the Prius was a rattletrap and fell apart after 30-40k miles and that the Insight would easily outlast the Prius.
    The Internet Sales Manager I normally deal with wasn't in.
    But the Insight doesn't impress me and back seat room is awful.
    "He [salesman] basically said that the Prius was a rattletrap and fell apart after 30-40k miles and that the Insight would easily outlast the Prius. "

And he said that with a straight face?! He is either uninformed, a flat out lier, or both. Time to find another sales person (even if it's at the same dealership) to work with. Don't give your money (sales commision) to someone that will lie that blatantly.
    Better yet. When ever a (supposed) salesman bad mouths a competitor's product turn a deaf ear and walk away. Facts & fair comparisons are all a good salesman ever needs to sell a car. That and a test drive. Why do you think Toyota has come to be a leader in the automotive world? My '04 Prius is closing in on 100K and nary a problem. Much the same with all (yes I said all) my other Prius owner friends and acquaintances. I've owned over 50 cars thru the yrs and I've never come across a better car for all around performance, quality, and dependability...not to mention high 40's mpg. Anyone notice gas starting to edge up lately? What did you expect? Lastly, the Prius is not the only great car on the market it's just at the top of the heap of those great ones.
    "He [salesman] basically said that the Prius was a rattletrap and fell apart after 30-40k miles and that the Insight would easily outlast the Prius. "

And he said that with a straight face?! He is either uninformed, a flat out liar, or both. Time to find another sales person (even if it's at the same dealership) to work with. Don't give your money (sales commission) to someone that will lie that blatantly.

Oh he's a flat out liar. They won't let me deal with the Internet sales manager any more for some reason even tho I bought a car from them.
    This sales manager is a hard case and I wound up going to another dealer and saving $2,700!
    This is a sales manager, not a salesman. Autofair Honda in Manchester, NH in case anyone is interested. They put ADM stickers on almost all of their cars, it's very annoying.
    Plus they have a $400 doc fee on all cars and it's non-negotiable.
    They do have an excellent service dept and I take my car there for servicing.
    Better yet. When ever a (supposed) salesman bad mouths a competitor's product turn a deaf ear and walk away. Facts & fair comparisons are all a good salesman ever needs to sell a car. That and a test drive. Why do you think Toyota has come to be a leader in the automotive world? My '04 Prius is closing in on 100K and nary a problem. Much the same with all (yes I said all) my other Prius owner friends and acquaintances. I've owned over 50 cars thru the yrs and I've never come across a better car for all around performance, quality, and dependability...not to mention high 40's mpg. Anyone notice gas starting to edge up lately? What did you expect? Lastly, the Prius is not the only great car on the market it's just at the top of the heap of those great ones.

Nah, i just hear them out and decide if they are full of bull and if they are I just ignore what they said. My main issue will be needing a car within a month and the 2010 Prius isn't due out until the end of May/early June. Might have to buy a different car. I don't care for the 2009 Prius. Too bad the 2010 Prius will not be out. They lost a sale from me last year because of price gouging and lack of availability and now it's not out by the time I will need a car. Oh well, I still won't buy the Insight.
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    I'm starting to look at a replacement for my wife's 03 Accord and until recently didn't consider the Prius. After seeing photos of and knowing about the features of the 2010 model, the car has become a serious option. I like everything so far except I'm not sure how I'll deal with the centered IP (might end up giving my car to my wife and I'll be driving the Prius).

Can those who have one or contemplating on getting one share opinions on this ?

I know the IP location may be a minor factor vs the car's core value, but I do have reservations about its logic.
    Perifferal vision takes in an awfull lot. I found getting use to the 2nd gen Prius took very lttle time. I personally like change if it's creative, practical, and inovative. Toyota is that and more, what with its' hybrid technology and success in that venue. Some carmakers lead and some well......just tag along behind. Oh, by the way....Almost 100K on my '04 Prius and running strong. Best car "EVER."
    I sat in one at one of the preliminary presentations in DC. It's only slightly right of center. In fact the various info screens extend from directly in front of the driver to just left of center.

None are on the road yet for the public. Production is supposed to begin on Monday in Japan, meaning here at the end of May or so. You should wait til they arrive and drive one to see if the placement is a problem. I don't think it will be. When Toyota gave the Press a bunch to test drive no one even mentioned the info screens AFAIK.

;) Oh by the way, just over 110,000 on my 2005 and it's MY best car EVER also.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I have a Yaris with the center stack and it is not an issue. It is not change for the better or worse really. I prefer the normal straight ahead left stack view slightly for everday use, but the center stack is nice when you are using a portable GPS and can put it right in front of you.

My hope is that all the lack of front seat comfort has been improved with the new Prius as they claim. The thigh area was uncomfortable in the present Prius (for bigger guys) with the wide console. The lack of seat height adjustment did not help as was the inadequate seat travel to the rear for those with long legs. For me, the Yaris was far more comfortable for my legs and knees than the Prius.

I have not sat in an Insight to test it's front seat comfort yet, but the reviews appear to greatly favor the front seat of it over the present generation Prius. The rear seat is a different story...
    I'm starting to look at a replacement for my wife's 03 Accord and until recently didn't consider the Prius. After seeing photos of and knowing about the features of the 2010 model, the car has become a serious option. I like everything so far except I'm not sure how I'll deal with the centered IP (might end up giving my car to my wife and I'll be driving the Prius).

Well if it's anything like the 2004-2009 Prius' then it should be ok. I've test driven the older models and they are ok as far as the speed. Most of the center consoles are crap and are deal breakers for me. MINI is the worst with that huge pie platter to the right that does nothing but show you a speed that you can't read without taking your eyes off the road.
    But as others have suggested, test drive it first.
    Prices are out.

Excellent news.

Level I $21k
    Level II $22k
    Level III $23k

plus $750 shipping

Very nice price levels.

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/trims-prices.html
    Very nice price levels.

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/trims-prices.html

That link is for the 2009 Prius. I haven't seen any real specs on the 2010 Prius such as option packages and trim levels yet.
    http://sev.prnewswire.com/auto/20090421/LA0208421042009-1.html

Must have posted the wrong link.

Yes that link works! Thanks, yes that link pretty much defines out everything about the 2010 Prius. Looks like I will get a Pkg 2. I like the LED lights but not worth buying a pkg 5 for that.
    I just hope the dealers don't option them to the limit. As I don't want all those fancy options.
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.