Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    Not to worry. The Prius is perfectly at home in all kinds of wet. I have 110K miles on an '04 and have many times experienced foul weather with no surprises. I would also say that carwashes have been routine with nary a problem.
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    It's a car. There is zero reason to be "careful" when washing it. You can not and will not hurt it buy spraying water all over it. What do you do when it rains out? Park it and ride your bicycle? :P Ha.
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    Thanks Chadx - my concern was when you go to a "Hand Wash", they are rubbing water and soap with sponges all over the car which could lead to water leaking into areas where there are batteries, etc. It seemed different to me than driving in the rain... thanks for letting me know.
  • chadxchadx Member Posts: 153
    Nope. A hand car wash wouldn't really be any different than driving, or parking, in a good downpour. To take it a step further, the jets of an automatic high pressure car wash puts way more force than a hose during a hand wash or thunderstorm downpour and those haven't caused anyone any problems. No warning to stay out of high pressure car washes in the owner's manual is there? (I don't know. I'm asking that in seriousness). I can't imagine there would be.

Anything that would fry is out of harms way just like a non-hybrid. Even from car washes that have a spray bar for underneath the car. Ever drive through a 2 - 4 inch deep puddle? The force of the water being thrown up your tire splitting that puddle is pretty extreme and a large volume. Just listen to the sound from the force of the water hitting the bottom of your car. I haven't heard any examples of Prius dropping dead from hitting puddles. They are designed as an all weather vehicle. No need to worry. Wash and drive to your hearts content!
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I would think that the manufacturer would make the consumer aware if this theoretical problem was a real problem.
  • msj09msj09 Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone driven the Prius V with 17" tires and one of the other levels with 15" tires? Was there a difference in handling? Noise? MPG? I will be doing 90% hiway driving and 10% suburb/city driving. Is either better for this type of driving mix???
  • donewithvwsdonewithvws Member Posts: 47
    Does anyone have this accessory?

My car did not come with it but I would like to have it installed, and although the Toyota web site advertises it as a $499 accessory, my dealership says they have to charge $399 + $265 labor!

I know I can get one installed much cheaper elsewhere, but I like the idea of the VIP version because its integrated right with your Smart Key FOB, so there's no extra FOB. I would also prefer Toyota to do the work just because I've heard stories of after-market car starters causing problems in cars.

Any suggestions?
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    Why do you want a remote starter? The 2004-2010 Prius have keep the coolant warm for 2-3 days with a thermos under the hood. I'm not sure you can leave the heating controls on after the main switch is off.
    I want a remote starter for these cold New England months so I can start my car from my second floor apartment and by the time I go out to my car it is defrosted and warm. It's not only a time saver, but you don't have to do as much scraping, and you get in a nice warm car. Also, the car doesn't let you lock it when it's on and take the key with you so the times I've run down to start it and then go back in my apartment, the car is unlocked which I'm really not comfortable with.

They do offer the VIP remote starter as an accessory to this car (and they integrate it right into the smart key) so I know it's possible, but this version is very pricey so I just wanted to see what other people were doing out there.
    I gave that to my daughter's Yukon for Christmas a few years ago. It is great but I'm not sure it will work the same way on my Prius.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I agree with others when they said that the Prius keeps the coolant warm for long periods of time, which reduces the need of having a remote starter. That being said, it sounds like your mind is made up when it comes to having a remote starter--I'm sure it's possible to hook it up to the ICE, but bear in mind that the car might run for the first 30 secs and then switch to the electric motor, foregoing any advantage to starting up the car in advance. Just my 2 cents.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Dear Sas9,

Don't worry about water getting into the batteries--both the 12V and the battery pack are in the trunk! The Prius was meant to be driven like a traditional car, so take care of it the same way you took care of your previous cars.
  • hoinoyhoinoy Member Posts: 10
    We have this accessory installed in my wife's 2010 Prius IV w/solar. It was mainly for old Winter morning warmups. The engine stays on for 10 min before it turns off, and can be restarted for one more 10-min duration. Everything automatically shuts off once you touch the door's handle to prevent any possibility of thief. It allows the seats and vent to be warmed before you get into the car. This will also allow for longer AC function in the summer time (longer than the regular AC function from the solar roof ~3 min). You do need to pay labor in addition to the cost of the parts just like anything after-market or out-of-lot additions to any cars.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Member Posts: 1,897
    Those quirks are gone.

It's quite impressive the refinements the 2010 offers.
  • joeb24joeb24 Member Posts: 111
    I just picked up my 2010 Prius IV. When I first start the car, the engine comes on. I thought that only the electric motor should run when first starting out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    This sounds like the 'ol Winter Blues of Hybrids. Summers mean no "heat" necessary (near 50 mpg's)....BUT....Come Winter things require engine heat for your warm interior (milage drops to low 40's). Simply put...on cold days ya gotta have engine running in order to get the heater out put. Also, there's the issue of more demands on electrical (heated mirrors, Rr defogger, etc) and as everybody knows... batteries lose some degree of energy in cold & sub zero conditions. I hope this helps you appreciate what you're dealing with.
    The Prius is a gasoline car that gets great mileage because it has a very small ICE engine. It gives unusually good performance for a small ICE because it has a battery driven electric booster for acceleration, passing and (fairly short) uphill needs. It is not a plug in hybrid which is a fiction, except for former CIA director James Woolsey, who's Prius was modified, at great expense, to go 40 miles on the batteries which take up the entire trunk and weigh a ton. The only time your ICE will always be off is backing out of your garage, because reverse is electric only, and when in your garage turned off. Normal driving is done by the ICE with the power transmitted directly to the drive shaft saving the loss of generating electricity for the battery and a similar loss of getting that electricity to the wheels. Most auto reviewers don't get that because the combination is so seamless that you can't tell by driving the Prius.
    >> very small ICE engine

The 1.8 liter engine is hardly anything considered small. In fact, that is the same size the base Corolla uses. Small is 1.0 liter, which is what Smart uses.
    >> The only time your ICE will always be off is backing out of your garage

The engine can remain motionless up to 46 MPH. So, it is very common to be driving along city streets using nothing but electricity.
    That is just not correct. Even the EV option, which I installed but now never use, is programmed to turn the ICE on at 32mph or when accelerating. My 2004 works great, gives 45mpg consistently with the engine almost always on unless I'm at a stop light, going down a pretty steep hill, coasting to a stop or in reverse. That is based upon observing the display as it is almost impossible to hear the ICE start or stop except at a stop light or in reverse. John may have made another modification to his Prius which I would like to hear about. I use to read his very informative website when I first bought my 2004.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    John has a 2010 Prius (which btw is the subject of this discussion). That may account for the difference between your 2004 and his car (and other 2010 Priuses).
    >> That is just not correct.

My aftermarket gauge clearly drops to: 0 RPM

Countless other owners of all 3 generations have confirmed the 42/46 MPH threshold for driving with the engine stopped.

Electric-Only propulsion like that has always been a standard behavior for Prius, hence the 9-year old terms of STEALTH and FULL to indicate how the design differs from some other hybrids.
    I just got mine installed. I have the same car as your wife and my experience was the same. The 10 minute thing isn't quite enough to do the trick on frosty days but is fine, and I don't really understand the whole shut-off feature, but I do like that everything is integrated into my smart key. We did pay around $650 though, much more that your average car starter!!
    i have a 2010 and it definitely jerks forward when i hit potholes!
  • crrudycrrudy Member Posts: 1
    What is the cubic foot capacity of the Prius 2010 with the back seats folded?
    Google search does not find this info, nor did the dealer.
    I will do a test again tomorrow and let you know.
    My ICE will turn on way before I hit 40mph even starting with a fully charged traction battery. I will accelerate very slowly as to not set off the acceleration trigger. I can creep with the car in drive, no brake, no gas and get to 10mph.
    >> My ICE will turn on way before...

The emission system must be HOT before the engine will shut off while driving with only electricity.

Odds are, that's the part you've overlooked. Speed makes no difference when the vehicle places such a high priority on emission reduction. Draw must be in the "green" zone on the Eco-Meter too. The "white" will trigger the engine to start back up, since that indicates electricity demand has exceeded the kW threshold.
  • masterpandamasterpanda Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2010 that does the same thing. I am ready for this surge most of the time and am prepared to brake if necessary. Am I right in suspecting that this racing of the drive wheel(s) as it restores contact with the road is the characteristic that leads to the shut-down on ice or gravel that I have read about? In other words, when the car senses free wheeling or next to no friction (because it is is airborne in a pothole situation), in order to prevent some kind of damaging runaway spinning, it shuts down. I have been on snow and ice a little bit so far and have not had this traction problem, though. I worry about it it happening, however. Generally, i like the car a lot.
  • mlb10mlb10 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    We are debating between Prius II or Prius III with navi and solar roof. Really only interested ni the roof, but is it worth 3800$? We live in central California where it gets over 100 regularly in the summer.Does the solar really make a difference in care temperature?
    thanks
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    If the inside is 120 degrees and it is 100 outside is it really going to matter if the solar drops the temp to 100 degrees? To me it wouldn't be worth $3800. Now if it was able to run the air conditioner and keep the car cool which I doubt the solar panel is strong enough to do then that would be a whole different ball game. Say be able to turn air on at set time and open roof to exhale the hot air then I'd pay $3800 but not now.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Yes you can do that as you walk up to the car before getting inside. There's an AC button on the key fob.
  • masterpandamasterpanda Member Posts: 19
    My new 2010 jerks forward after hitting larger potholes.
    Is there a trick to tune into a station? I want to listen to Howard Stern on 100 or 101...the scan button jumps past these station numbers. I live in LA so it shouldn't be a reception problem. Any ideas how to get this station? Thanks,
    Could depend on which service you paid for. You need to check with sat. provider as there are different price ranges and you get different programing with each. Sounds like you need a different package.
    Apparently others have experienced similar problems and Toyota may have a recall on the break system!! Like you, I am usually prepared for the surge forward, but others have experiences accidents because of it! Just hoping it doesn't get worse or I don't get caught in a bad situation before Toyota addresses it!
    It sounds like they (Toyota) has addressed it as they're saying that the problem was corrected on those delivered since late Jan.

link title
    After all of their lies you really believe them. Even if it is fixed as they say, most people in the back of their minds are always going to wonder, will it happen again and will I live to tell about it. To me I have enough to worry about these days without worrying if my car is going to take off like a bat out of he-- or worse yet, will it stop everytime I step on the brake. :lemon:
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    And they knew about this last month, but are just now being forced to tell the truth.

Gosh, what is next?

Braking Info
    ...the auto companies aren't guilty of "fudging" (i.e., lying) on details that lead to their recalls.

But, issues involving their cars means time, liability and the litigation that goes with it, and the resultant cost monetarily. Because of this, risking perpetuation of bad public relations, I believe they will take care of it and they have the resources to do it.

If we were dealing with someone like Chrysler Corp., I'd be much more worried.
  • sideman59sideman59 Member Posts: 2
    I've looked everywhere on Toyota's and Edmunds' websites for more information on the solar roof. Does it use the solar panel to power the auxiliary fan while the car is operating? Or is it only while the car is parked? Does the 3 minute maximum operation only apply to the keyfob activation or at all times? Does the solar panel divert power to help charge the main batteries when not needed to run the little fan?
    Thanks everyone for any help, sideman59.
  • tai1tai1 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a Prius with the solar panel yesterday and today it was 84 plus! Talking about a perfect timing to test the sys out.

When I got back to the car after lunch, I noticed the fan was blowing when I got inside. The cabin temp was ok.. .. I have to encounter more hot/humid days to provide my final impression. So far so good but it was only one day experience. ;)

The A/C button on the key fab is not the air circulation powered by the solar roof. From the user manual, a/c has a 3 min limit but not the fan powered by the solar roof.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you own a Toyota, live in LA or Orange County, CA and have a favorite story about your car, please email your daytime contact information and year/make/model to jfallon@edmunds.com.
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2010
    My wife and I are considering trading in our '08 Prius (pkg. 6 Nav/Lthr) for the '10 Prius.

My wife has decided that the Smart Key system is necessary as a basic function of life itself (must be on both front doors and rear hatch)... which means we must choose from the Prius IV or V models.

The basic difference seems to be the V has larger wheels and tires, LED headlamps with auto-leveling, and fog lights. The IV has the ability to have the MoonRoof with Solar Panel (not available on the V).

For those of you who have chosen... why did you choose one over the other... and are you happy with your choice? ie: if you had to do it all over again would you make the same decision?

Does the solar roof keep the car ventilated and the cabin temperature down continuously or does it only operate for a short period of time. Having solar power available for ventilation sounds really neat... especially for us living in Las Vegas, NV... but does it really work... and how well?

If we go with the IV over the V... how difficult/expensive is it to add the fog lights afterward?
    There are good reasons to prefer a 2010 but the Smart Key is not enough. I use the Smart key of my 2004 and leave it in the car in my garage which is fine but when I'm around town I keep it in my pocket so if I forget to put it back in it's slot when I get home, I have to go back into the house to hunt around for it in my clothes closet. I'm not sure the 2010 even has a slot so I would be even more prone to leave it in my pocket overnight.
    edited May 2010
    Steve we never leave the key in the slot... matter of fact I don't believe the key has ever been in the slot...

My wife leaves hers in her purse so that the car recognizes her when she walks up to it and it also prevents her from accidentally forgetting and leaving her purse in the car.

We currently have both an '05 and '08 Prius with the smart key system... and my wife gets quite annoyed when she walks up to other cars and they don't recognize her and unlock the door..... :)
    We must pamper our wives...they expect nothing less. Toyota keeps perfecting the ways to spoil the ladies. Of course we men don't require such things do we guys? ;)
    edited May 2010
    I too live in the desert SW and the solar moonroof does a great job of keeping the car many degrees cooler when we're parked out in the sun, One of the reasons we love the car besides its stellar gas mileage is its technology, and the solar moonroof is another neat bit of tech. that doesn't disappoint. The car is a mainly daytime work-horse and thus we didn't need to spend the extra $'s on the LED headlights, etc.. The larger tires/wheels to me mean more expense at the time of their replacement, slightly less gas mileage and a slightly rougher ride. After all, this isn't a sports car.
    I got the IV 6 months ago and love the car. I love the fact that the car recogizes me when I walk up to it and I never have to take the "key" out of my purse. Even after 6 months, I'm still getting used to the smart key system and have to think about starting the car each time I get into it. Maybe one day it will all become automatic to me but it's taking some time.

The car is awesome, rides like a dream and the gas mileage..... gotta love it! Make sure you get the nav, it makes life easy.
    Thank you SAS9.......

My wife feels exactly the same way... she has had her package #6 '08 Prius for two years and cannot imagine why all cars do not recognize her when she walks up to any door.... :)

I think we have decided that the Prius IV with the Solar Roof package will give us more functionality than the Prius V which mainly just looks better with the taller wheels and LED headlights.
  • rogue9rogue9 Member Posts: 8
    I live in area where it gets over a hundred in the summer wand I purchased a package three with nav. I came out of a limited sequoia, it had every option available. My point I guess would be what is the main purpose for your purchase.
    My wife works for the dealer and she wanted every feature available. I gave it some serious thought and really had to ask myself, what is the main reason for such a drastic change in vehicles.
    The answer was not just to be greener, but that was a consideration as well. The main thing for me was to save money on a monthly bases. I wanted the great gas milage as well as a much smaller vehicle price which will obviously lower or car payment.
    When she started loading the car up with a bunch of features it seemed to me the whole purpose for the purchase was getting lost in the mix. As I mentioned I live an area that gets rather warm. I didn't enjoy jumping into my sequoia with the leather seats in that kind of heat. I for once got my way and have enjoyed my car immensely. I got the light color exterior as well as interior, and It doesn't warm up anything like my wifes darker prius.
    Dont get me wrong creature features are nice but you get bundled up with things you don't want just to get one or two things you do want. I had 22s on my sequoia
    So I know about loading up a car with all the things you don't need, guilty here.
    They looked cool but made the ride go from luxury to rock like.
    My message is Get the car you really want without forgetting about the main reason for the purchase in the first place.
    When these things first came out, some dealers were charging thousands over sticker price and they couldn't keep them in stock. Talk about losing perspective for the purchase purpose. You can fill up allot of times for thousands extra these people were paying for the new priuses.
This discussion has been closed.