Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

12345679»

Comments

• hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    Like you being "Green" is a side benefit and not the mail attraction.

My wife is a Real Estate Agent in Las Vegas and as such puts a lot of miles on her car running clients around. Now my wife loves her Honda Pilot because of its flexibility... and even though it is just he two of us now... she uses every configuration of the vehicle on a routine basis (be it grand-kids, lady friends, clients or whatever).

My wife likes the way the H-Camry drives, but made the decision (hers) that she prefers the higher gas mileage of the Prius as well as the increased flexibility with the hatchback and split fold-down rear seat.

The Smart-Key system is like air and water to her now... so that is a given. We did discuss the Prius III, but she wanted the Smart Key system on all doors, not just the drivers door... so that led us to the IV or V.

I like the "looks" of the V, but believe we will go with what "appears" to be greater functionality of the IV with the solar roof package. Do we actually "need" the solar roof... no..., but I do like the factory Nav system in the Prius as it makes excellent use of the built in screen. There are benefits to after-market Navs (like being able to make simple changes while in motion, but at our age there is also something to be said for the larger screen :) ).

I really appreciate those that have taken the time to share their feelings and comments... this is one of the truly great things about the internet is the ability to share information and experiences with so many people.
  • mapleleavemapleleave Member Posts: 25
    It is now going to be end of this year for 2011. Since it was launched early 2010, that is almost two years for 2010 MY.

I am wondering, with Nissan Leaf and GM Volt coming out, will Toyota add Plug-in to 2011 as a surprise?!
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    I've had my Prius for 10 months and only drive in ECO mode for best gas consumption. Can anyone tell me their experience with gas consumption between the two modes? Does the power mode really give better mileage?
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Have 2500 miles on my 2010 IV and wondered why there was no warning chime if you left your headlights on. Seems there is an auto shut off. Couldn't find a reference to it anywhere. Also figured out that the rear headrests fold forward to facilitate lowering the seatbacks. This a great ride and fun to drive.
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    Hi - yes the headlights will go off automatically. I think it takes about 15 seconds from the time you turn off the car.

If you have navigation, have you figuered out how to eliminate the split screen and only have the map portion show? Thank you!
    No nav -- only option was the mat kit which is very nice.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Have you tried touching one side or the other to see if that screen becomes the full screen? I have seen that on other cars with nav.
  • sthogesthoge Member Posts: 28
    I rented a 2010 out of Denver this last week and I discovered that if you push the lock button on the key twice, it will shut off the lights immediatly. I wish my 2008 had the delay option for the lights to stay on as they shut off as soon as I open the drivers door. The delayed headlights are a nice feature to have when parking at night and you have to walk to the house. That way your aren't in the dark when you unlock the house door.
    Thanks sthoge, didn't know that either.
  • rebdrebd Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010
    I am shopping for a 2010 Prius IV. And I'm considering the factory installed Navigation, only because I want the rear view camera. If I don't get the Navigation system, the dealer has also offered to install an aftermarket rear view mirror which will include a camera, a homelink and compass. Any thoughts on putting these kinds of aftermarket options on the Prius? Any recommended brands? In addition to the camera it must include a homelink. Thanks ahead of time for any opinions.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    It sounds like a plan,but your rear view picture will be quite small.I have the factory rear view camera on my Prius,but I don't use it at all.I would rather turn my head around and use the mirrors.
    I test drove a Equinox with the camera in the mirror and found the camera was like the outside passenger mirror giving you the look that what ever was behind you was way behind you when in fact it was very near. If theirs is that way, don't waste your money as it sure won't help in backing up.
    edited November 2010
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Mickey, Yes, I have the factory camera on my 2006 prius, so I've gotten used to having one.

Dmathews- I agree. Even the camera image on the regular size monitor seems farther away than it really is, so I'm already used to that. I back out of a 53 foot long driveway everyday and any image (near or far) would be helpful for me to see what's directly behind me.

I guess my main concern is if putting aftermarket stuff on the Prius (like this) could cause some kind of electrical problems.... So that's my only hesitation.
    My IV already has homelink -- bet yours will too. Go to priuschat and read about folks who are unhappy with the factory nav. If you really need the back-up camera you have fewer options. There are othe cameras avalable with bigger screens that mount on the dash.
    My wife has a Fusion Hybrid with Nav built into dash on about 7" screen. It is great with actual camera image like it should be not convex like right mirror. It even has the lines in differt colors so you know how far away you are. When it gets to the red line you are about one foot from the object. Great system.
  • rogue9rogue9 Member Posts: 8
    You should definitely get the factory navigation. It works well with the other functions of the vehicle such as the phones bluetoothe and rear camera. You can pull up lists of previous calls incoming and outgoing while driving and make a call with one easy touch. The phones voice recognition also works through the nave system. I wouldn't purchase one without the factory nav. I don't look at the backup camera but I do have the kids watch it when I'm backing up. The nave system adds to the vehicles overall ease of function and convenience.
    edited December 2010
    Purchased my 2010 Prius IV yesterday without the Nav. Instead the dealer will be installing an aftermarket (50genk3545) self dimming mirror camera which also has a homelink and compass. The camera screen size on this one is much larger than the factory mirror camera, so it will be quite sufficient.

I seriously considered the NAV, for the reason rogue lists, but decided the Package V with an aftermarket camera would be adequte for my needs, not to mention I do have a gps system and family locator in my cell phone, which I believe is more user friendly and up to date than the Toyota Nav. Thanks everyone for your input. I'll be posting more details in the prices paid discussion.
  • greenwannabe1greenwannabe1 Member Posts: 3
    Still mulling over a Prius purchase so I rented a 2010 for two days to help make my decision. When I test drove a 10 at the dealer, the EV mode was good until 25 MPH---this rental goes to gas mode at 10 MPH. I was able to drive over 10 on one occasion in EV mode however. Anyone have input, I am worried this is one of the electronic issues I have been reading about (although I have not read of this specific issue) ??
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    I have been driving our 2010 Prius IV since August of 2009. The EV mode is there for publicity purposes only, IMO, The Ni-metal Hydride battery can sustain a drive at about 20 MPH of maybe a mile. When the plug in hybrid with the Lithium Ion battery is put on the market the EV mode will have a significant range upgrade. The car has met or exceeded our expectations. This is especially true since I removed the ugly plastic wheel covers hiding aluminum alloy wheels. Mileage has been in the mid to high 40's with an occasional 50+ MPG tankful. The electronic issues you have been reading about concerns an issue involving the ABS and the the switch over from battery regeneration mode to the mechanical braking system, This problem was fixed with a software upgrade in Jan 2010. It affected cars that were made in the early production runs of the 2010 Prius.
  • greenwannabe1greenwannabe1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply, I just drove it to lunch and was able to drive twice to 25MPH----once to 10 MPH. Dont really get it but I have not read the manual. Also was able to switch fro ECO mode to EV mode whilst moving at 22 MPH, go figure. Also unable to use EV when just starting out after the car has been sitting, I suppose that has to do with the battery. I have a 3000 foot driveway and would like to get out to the road on EV as I do that four times every work day. Glad you like your Prius, this is a very tough decision for me as I have always been a truck/suv guy. Happy Priusing ! :)
    Took my covers off as well. Filled the hole with a 1.5 inch fuse box plug for 95 cents each. Painted them blue -- really like the look.
  • jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I have found the EV mode is only good up to 25 mph with a light foot. If you push for more speed, it will switch out of EV mode assuming that you want more power. I have coaxed my Prius up to 42 mph in ECO mode on electric only with a light foot. Go figure. EV mode won't work until the engine is warmed up. I too have long driveway and would like to use EV mode until I get to the street, but the engine turns on by the time I back out of the garage. Thankfully the engine warms up quickly and by the time I get to the exit gate for my community, the engine shuts off.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    And I thought I was the only one. I was somewhat shocked to find alloy wheels behing those cheap covers. Not the most attractive rims, ok, but better clean than the cheap wheel cover look. Why did they bother? I could understand if they were full covers to remove drag, but that's not the case.
  • biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    I know what you mean about "tough decision". I went from an 1999 Explorer, in great shape, to the Prius. The hatchback does allow me to carry lots of stuff that would fit in the Explorer, but there are limits. I think about those limits each time I put gas in the Prius and I look at my credit card receipt. The limits just fade away. I still have access to the Explorer because I sold it to my neighbor who is using it for one of his kids.
    The wheel covers are there to minimize drag. The engineers try to save 1/10 of a gallon.
This discussion has been closed.