Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Prius - Next Generation

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Wow, $22k for a Pkg 2 is quite reasonable given the improvements. That seems less expensive to me than a comparably-equipped 2004 Prius, since features like SABs and VSC were optional on that car.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Model / Pkg 2010 vs 2009 ( after $1000 rebate )

1221 .... $21750 vs Not Avail

1223 .... $22750 vs $23300 Pkg 2

1225 .... $23750 vs $24500 Pkg 4
    1225 .... $25500 vs $25200 Pkg 5 ( w/ Navi )
    1225 .... $27300 vs Not Avail ( Navi + SR )

1227 .... $26500 vs Not Avail ( Leather No Navi )
    1227 .... $28300 vs $26300 Pkg 6 ( Leather w/ Navi )
    1227 .... $30100 vs Not Avail ( Leather, Navi, SR )

1229 .... $28000 vs Not Avail
    1229 .... $19800 vs Not Avail
    1229 .... $32500 vs Not Avail

The high volume lower priced models are ultra competitive vs the 2009s....not to mention the Insight II. Currency issues have mostly disappeared it seems.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I'm struggling with this decision. I like the idea of the new 2010 model so the 2009 is not on my list even though it's about $3K off MSRP right now. My dilema is that the 09 TCH is about $5K off and that would make it cheaper than the 2010 Prius, both being comparably equiped. I'm not really worried about the money, but I'm always wanting the best deal.

The TCH was a very roomy economy car. I think I would miss power seats as me and the Missus are different heights. The 35 mpg vrs 50 mpg is not really that big of a deal financially, even if gas goes to $3.50.

But I know I like having the latest technology and like the "smugness" of obtaining 50mpg. The Ford Fusion would give me the technology. Possibly reliable, but I KNOW the TCH is reliable from past experience.

My dealer is trying to line up a 2010 Prius V like I spec'ed as their first delivery

Decisions, decisions.....
    I keep mine a bit longer than you do, Joe so the '10s are not in my view at all. I'm at 111,000 miles now and I'm expecting to go to 250K+ after 8 yrs or so. I 'might' catch the last MY of the Gen 3's in '13 or '14. That sounds weird.
    I'm changing little by little but so far 70,000 is my top limit for keeping a car. The TCH is the first new car in 39 years of driving that I had kept past 50,000. I really didn't have a reason to trade other than I was tired of the light gray interior. (I've traded for lesser reasons :blush: )
    Bob, do you know if the 2010 will have the bladder? Is this really anything to be concerned about? One of the things my wife misses about the TCH is the tank range. If the Prius, even at 50 mpg only goes 300 miles because you can't fill it full, then that would be a real negative for us.
    No it will not have the bladder. That gladly will be retired with the last of the 09s, That was one of the first questions asked to the Chief Engineer at the NAIAS in January.

I consistently run mine down to the last 'bar'. At that time there is a 2 gal reserve. So at that time I fill up with 9.5 gal or so. That means on the trip meter that I've gone between 400 miles ( winter ) and 525 miles ( summer ). 47.9 lifetime average in 111,000 mi. You know the terrain and the route I take.
    Thanks, A $20 fill up sounds nice :)
    Yep it runs from ~$16.75 to $19.00 depending. For that I get about 450 miles of driving on average.
  • dkrellerdkreller Member Posts: 5
    I couldn't agree more. That salesman is an outright liar. A 'rattletrap'? WTF? My 07 Prius is the quietest, smoothest driving car I've ever owned. I haven't owned any particularly expensive/luxurious cars, and there are probably even smoother driving cars on the road, but the Prius is great. My car just went 503 miles on a tank of gas. It is running better now that I have found a reliable source of NO ethanol gas. Who are you going to listen to ? One ridiculous salesman who will probably say anything to make a buck, or the hundreds of favorable reviews on the Prius? I just hit 30 k miles and not a single problem. Even people with older Prii haven't been reporting serious problems after hundreds of thousands of miles.
    Even people with older Prii haven't been reporting serious problems after hundreds of thousands of miles

To many this is shocking but accurate. The current Gen 2 might be the best built vehicle that Toyota has ever sent here. Several hundred thousand miles seems well within the capability of any of the Gen 2's.

Maintenance is minimal. The brakes may never need replacement. The vehicles over 200,000 miles are still slip sliding away at 47-52 mpg day-in and day-out. The batteries and the electric motors are better than the Energizer bunny ever imagined.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    As Shakespeare once said "Ditto." I have almost 100K and not a single problem. I average 48 MPG's in Summer and 43 MPG's winter. On my 2nd set of tires but due soon to try Michelins for 3rd set. (by fall). I've owned over 50 cars thru the yrs and never...NEVER.. seen a car with more satisfaction to the owner. I hope to purchase a 3rd Gen Prius this fall to compliment my "04 Prius. 6 yrs plus and a believer. It just doesn't get any better than this. Thank you Toyota for building one impressive hybrid. ;);)
    Hey Bob, looking for some expert interpretation of Toyota Literature.

On PriusChat they are saying the JBL and NAV versions of the 2010 will be satellite radio "ready" with a 90 day trial subscription to XM. I believe they are even quoting "Team Prius". I'm new there so I don't really know the various members yet. There is a lot of knowledge there but there is also a lot of BS speculation that is passed off as fact (like the huge benefit of nitrogen in tires).

I don't see this anywhere in the literature. In fact the 2010 literature reads pretty much like the 2007 and 2009 literature from my TCH and HH and that is:

New literature says "integrated satellite radio capability" and the old literature simply says "satellite radio capability".

Am I missing something or did Toyota take this an extra step in 2010 and add the XM actually built into the radio? Past experience is making me skeptical of their claims, although I'm hoping they are correct as I plan to have NAV and would like XM if all I have to do is pay the subscription.
  • feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    I clearly do not know for sure, but my 06 Dodge truck came satellite ready. I called (Sirus in this case) gave them the code that displayed on the radio, and we had satellite radio .... but we did have to subscribe.

That is what I am expecting with my new vehicle.
    I'll double check tomorrow but I believe that the two different terms are ..
    satellite radio 'capable' - means that with the addition of an antenna and receiver that XM can be added.
    satellite radio 'ready' ( 90 day trial ) - means that the antenna and receiver are already installed and that there is a very limited 90 day trial of a few stations.

I think that all the JBL systems in the future will be satellite 'ready'. Some such as the new 2010 Camry have a USB port installed also.
    Thanks

Someone on PriusChat today did show specs that showed the tuner was included and that there was a 90 day trial. However I don't know where they got the info, though it looked official. One article from the preview mentioned it as well. But the Toyota website brocheur simply called it capable, which is the same terms used in the past and I know those radios required the tuner being added.

Seems like Toyota is missing an opportunity by not pointing this out if true. Many people complain about the JBL and NAV costs but if they add the tuner they become more reasonable in cost.

I see the USB will be available in Sept on the new Prius.
    Yesterday, my wife and I spent an hour as passengers in a friends 2009 Prius with leather seats. Afterwards, my wife said she would not consider a 2010 because the seats were terribly uncomfortable.

Has anyone read anything about improved seats in the 2010 Prius?

Might cloth seats be more comfortable than leather?

Might an upholstery shop improve the seating comfort?

Has anyone else found the same complaint?
  • bela1bela1 Member Posts: 3
    1. After I opened the automatic electric garage door and waited in my 2007 Prius for my wife to enter from our home and to seat herself in the front passenger seat, I started the vehicle, geared it into reverse to prepare to back out of our attached indoor garage.

2. Instantly as I started to back up and not proceeding more than about 18 inches we heard a loud explosive sound accompanied by a tremor and shattering glass. I immediately shut off the engine and we both exited the vehicle. We discovered that the right rear pressurized gas strut catapulted with such force through the rear hatchback trunk lid window shattering the glass on its trajectory towards the garage door, the impact of the strut damaged the metal railing of the door making the garage door inoperable. Had anyone been in the path of the strut they could have been killed. The rear trunk lid did not collide with any part of the garage door - the back of the vehicle was at least two feet inside the open garage door. There were no injuries but it was a close call for us. We had both just moments before and moments apart passed in front of the same path from where the strut exited the rear trunk lid window.

3. Upon my insistence the vehicle was towed to our Toyota dealer's garage for inspection and eventually repaired. I have most of the old parts at my home.

Note: There was no fire involved in this incident but the damage caused by the strut is identical to ones caused by struts being involved in a fire. I was informed that this never happened before.

The complaint listed above is to warn automobile consumers of a potentially dangerous incident that could possibly happen to owners of any make of vehicle that has a hatchback with pressurized gas struts controlling the movement of the rear trunk lid door. The complaint has been posted by me for the purpose of obtaining feedback from vehicle owners who may have had a similar experience. Your collective feedback could help save lives or serious injuries.

Bela 1
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Wow, glad you're both okay.

I look with interest to see if this is largely an under-reported or erroneous incident.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    As it was pointed out to me on I think another forum that it isn't wise to mess with the factory seats and some have side air bags plus most have sensors built in to tell if anyone is sitting in the passenger seat etc. May void your warranty in a crash if they find you have messed with the seats. Don't know this for a fact but I hadn't thought about that when I too made the suggestion of redoing the seats but it does make a lot of sense and I'm sure in a law suit that will be at the top of Toyota's list.
    It's good no one was injured.

What is particularly remarkable about this problem is that the struts that support the hatch, when the lid is closed, are parallel to the hatch glass. Also the struts are nearly horizontal, since the hatch is so steeply raked. And the struts are locked down by bolts at each end, plus are constrained within the metal channel between the hatch opening and C pillar. So the amount of force exerted by these struts must be incredible, to launch the strut out of its restraining bolts and out of the steel channel, and somehow push through the glass hatch. I never knew these struts had so much power in them. I own three vehicles with such struts now, so I will pay more attention to them in the future.
    ONe of the common complaints about the Gen 2 Prius is about the seating. It's essentially unadjustable, ditto the steering wheel. Both have been 'fixed' say the early reviewers of the 2010.

That being said it's absolutely a personal issue/preference. The Prius is not a luxury vehicle so it is not as smooth and quiet as say an Avalon or any Bimmer or Caddy, but it is quiet in its own way. The seating is definitely personal because each of us had different strains and pressures. I find this Gen 2 to be the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had after a Chrysler LHS, 4 Camry's, a Solara Convertible. I can ride for hours with no adjustments, it just fits me perfectly.

Our Highlander is more comfortable though.
    Ditto on the Highlander. I find my Highlander Hybrid as the best of both worlds. Very comfortable, roomy, and excellent mpg's for what you are driving (24 mpg so far for us through winter. Already seeing 26 now that warm weather is here)

As for the 2010, one reviewer called the ride a "substantial" feeling. Solid and Lexus like and he noted the vastly improved seating as well as the new vertical adjustment and the tilt and telescopic steering wheel to further help with driver comfort. I found the 2009 as a "marginal" nice ride but consider it an economy car so it is as good as any in that class. I'm really expecting the 2010 to at least equal my satisfaction with my Camry Hybrid so I am looking forward to my new ride to arrive!
    To carnaught: That's what we are trying to find out - whether other similar incidents did take place. We were informed that for an incident similar to the one that had happened to us only occurs when a fire or heat is in contact with the pressurized gas strut. In our case there was no fire involved. Nevertheless it was a harrowing experience.
    Your desgription of the mechanics of the strut placement is accurate but when heat is applied to the strut it is known that those incidents caused serious damage, injuries and even death. Struts are known to hsve been found over 200 feet away from the incident. What we would like to find out is what caused the strut to catapult with the same force as if heat would have been the factor. If anyone has any thoughts on the possibility why this happened the way it did please inform us. Thanks for your input.
    As reported here a couple of buyers took delivery of their new 2010's yesterday , Sunday 5-17. These appear to be the first ones in N America.

Allegedly Toyota has 75,000 preorders on the Gen3 ( mostly Japan I'd presume ).
  • tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    I have my car on order. Dealer says early June for delivery. Price is MSRP.
    I can't wait! :D
  • tyler70tyler70 Member Posts: 82
    do you know how much they paid ? MSRP? over or below MSRP? I like the new Prius and I dont hear much if any problems with this vehicle, however, i saw on other website & chat rooms about this vehicle and lots are complaining about the costs to replace the battery, and they are a lot of prople that need to replace the battery after apprx 120k miles. the battery replacement costs apprx $3000 - $6000. it is great to save money on gas now, but thinking about having to come up with $3k - $6k to replace battery really discourages me.
    do you know how much they paid ? MSRP? over or below MSRP?

There seem to be plenty of dealers selling at MSRP. A few in CA reported asking well over but no one on Prius Chat so far (will admit to) paying over MSRP. Some dealers are adding options at high fees, but it doesn't appear that is wide spread.

I looked at Fitzmall today and they have the new Camaro marked over MSRP so it appears everyone will try what they can get for a new introduction.

I like the new Prius and I dont hear much if any problems with this vehicle, however, i saw on other website & chat rooms about this vehicle and lots are complaining about the costs to replace the battery, and they are a lot of prople that need to replace the battery after apprx 120k miles. the battery replacement costs apprx $3000 - $6000.

I'm guessing you saw those comments on chat rooms NOT about the Prius. Non-Prius fans / Prius Haters (and there seem to be a lot for some reason) are still telling this same old story even after years of reliability on record. If you go to the Prius chat rooms/blogs you'll see that NO ONE is complaining about the costs of replacing the batteries, especially not at 120,000 miles, because no one is needing to replace them. In the CAFE states the battery is warranted for 150,000 miles. Others is 100,000. However as Bob will probably soon respond the batteries in the Taxi's for Prius and Ford are lasting well over 200,000 miles with no noticible loss of charge.

I have a 2010 on order. I currently have a Highlander Hybrid and had a Camry Hybrid before that. I plant to have the HH and a Prius for my everyday use. May or may not keep the Expedition for towing and travel.
    It's MSRP for now.

Your info on replacing the battery is about 5 yrs old. And .... there are NOT 'lots of people complaining about the costs to replace the battery.'

Either you are misreading the posts or you are intentionally misrepresenting what others have said. This subject was put to rest 3 yrs ago. There is so much misinformation in your post with no actual correct info that it appears that you're being a troll. Trolls belong under bridges.

But in case I'm wrong, and I apologize, and you simply haven't done any research at reliable sources:
    The batteries NEVER need to be replaced.
    If you had done research on the subject then you would have found that Toyota told the public that they had replaced 0.0025% of the batteries. That's ONE in 40,000.
    In addition the cost of a replacement is published all over the internet...$2588 at full retail cost.
    The warranty in many states is 10 yrs or 150,000 miles...so where did you get 120K from?
    Interesting.... Fitzmall last week lost both its Chrysler franchises and then it lost its GM franchise the next day.
    I heard on the news that the GM dealers that lost out only sold about 30+ cars a year. If that is correct I'd get rid of them too. GM's paperwork on that dealer must have cost them more money than the dealer made GM.
    Interesting.... Fitzmall last week lost both its Chrysler franchises and then it lost its GM franchise the next day.

Wow, I would have thought they sold enough GM's to stay in the family. Their pricing is sure a lot better than the Cadillac dealers around here (who won't even talk with me half the time). I have noticed lately though their selection of GM is low and they don't seem to be adding to it. Maybe I'll still be able to pick up a CTS cheap ;o) The last three cars I bought I started at the cadillac dealer, usually get ticked off and come to my senses and buy a Toyota.

I've used their pricing as a negotiating tool for my dealer, although he knows I want to deal locally. I've told him I want him to stay in business but he does have to deal with me fairly. He's only got about half the normal level of Toyota's right now and they are moving a lot of used cars currently.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    As far as price, my father has a 2010 Prius II on order for $500 below sticker plus tax tags and license. No other charges.

With a recession, low gas prices, and the Insight, it is a great time to get a new Prius.
    Hello All,

I know we are all keenly interested in the arrival of the 2010's. Anyone with information, please share same with us all.
    They are already being delivered on the W Coast and being driven. The rest of the country is waiting, waiting, waiting.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    All the comments about having to replace the traction batteries are nonsense, pure bull.
  • 107main107main Member Posts: 33
    I took a look at the prices and could not justify the Prius..loaded nearly $35 K!
    I have driven several of the 2nd generation ones and did not like them near as well as a Honda Civic Hybrid and I have driven many of them doing dealer transfers. Prius does get a little bit better mileage. I wonder did Toyota get rid of the dumb bladder type fuel tank on the new 2010 ones? That was just one deal breaker for me. Having been interested in Hybrids, I bought a 2005 Civic Hybrid after trying both and have never been disappointed in my buy, absolutely no trouble in 40k. Soon be time to get a new car and am looking, but not in a hurry, I still have 3 years left on my never used extended warranty. I am NOT one of the misinformed tree huggers like Algore who will lie for money..you know cap and trade, the sky is falling clown who just happens to stand to get rich with his ponzi scheme(carbon credits). I do like not buying gas though, even if I do spend a little more for my vehicle (was the case with Honda) Not the case with the more expensive Prius..too much more money there!
  • 107main107main Member Posts: 33
    Dont know about Prius, but battery replacement on Civic Hybrid is nearly non existant so far. My son worked at a Honda dealership and only mabye one or two were ever replaced by that dealership, and in most cases, Honda will foot the bill. Batteries were a non issue at Honda.
    Something's wrong with that data. There is no $35K Prius. The top model Prius V with all the high tech toys is ~$33000.

The new Prius II starts at $22750.

Yes the bladder is gone on the 2010s
    I took a look at the prices and could not justify the Prius..loaded nearly $35 K!
    Maybe in California will you have to pay 35K for a loaded Prius but that would be well over MSRP. Besides, why complain about the Prius being overpriced when you're obviously looking at a car with options not even available on any other car for less than $50K. Price a Prius with the options you want and compare it to the Honda or whatever interests you. The fact that it offers some high dollar options is not a bad thing. You simply don't buy one with those options if they don't interest you.

My 2010 will be a shade over $30K with leather, Nav and the 17" wheels and LED lights. If I thought that was over priced I could easily forgo the wheels, LED's and NAV and get the car considerably cheaper. The options make this a more widely accepted car to the masses. Not everyone wants a stripped Insight.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The Prius starts at $22,750 and has way more features than the Insight. The base Insight does not even have stability control.
  • yerth10yerth10 Member Posts: 431
    May-2009 Hybrid sales,
    Ford - 3,906
    Honda - 4,857
    Toyota - 14,846
    GM - 1,739

Total - 25,348

I guess its the highest in this year. Probably Hybrids captured 2.8 % share.

For Ford, this is the record, seems Fusion/Milan Hybrids have sold very well.
    Also Ford retained #2 share in US market pushing Toyota to #3 place.

For Toyota, Prius was launched only on May-18 and so its only a partial month, expect more stronger sales in June.

Honda sold 2,780 Insights, not as much as expected, although in Japan, they are selling well. As the gas prices increase, its sales may increase.

Nissan's hybrid sales are yet to be published.

Conclusion : Ford learnt to make and sell Hybrids.
    Insight is not a match for Prius in USA, but its a match in Japan.
    Curious to see same report for June since that is when most of the new 2010 prii will hit our shores.
  • gasoutgasout Member Posts: 1
    We traded 2005 Prius for 2010 Insight. We loved the Pruis but Insight is a great car. It gets over 53 MPG (mostly highway) very consistently. I don’t know why the EPA rating is so low.

We were getting close to 50 MPG with 2005 Prius and I can’t wait to get the new Prius for my wife so we can compare the two over the same route. The Toyota dealer said mid July but I hope it is sooner.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Can the new Prius carry 4 male passengers of average size and 4 golf bags? Thanks.
    Car and Driver also didn't rate it very well in their 600 mile loop. Don't have the mag here now but 36 comes to mind and 42 for the 2010 Prius which was the same as the third car they also tested along with the Honda and Toyota. What was the 3rd car. A 12 year old Chevy Metro with over 100+K on it.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    No.
    If two of the gents know each other pretty well, and depending on their girth, it might be possible to fold the "40" side of the back seat down, put one bag there, and the other 3 under the hatch. Also depends on how far away the golf course is. Next time you go golfing, take your 3 friends and your bags to your local Toyota dealer and do the "proof of concept." :)
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Thanks all for the replies. When it is my turn to drive my golfing buddies currently ride in a Cadillac DTS which if you believe the advertisement for roominess showing the 4 basketball players and their 4 bags, is going to be a tad more comfortable than a Prius. The feedback I get on the Prius might not be too positive.

Seriously I've been in the old Prius and they are fairly roomy. The luggage space on the 2010 is supposed to be about 21+ cu ft which is 2 cu ft bigger than my existing trunk.
This discussion has been closed.