Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Forester XT vs Outback XT vs 3.0: who is faster?

vlad12vlad12 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Subaru
Hi
I am new in Subaru but I am looking now for car to replace my 6-old Isuzu Rodeo.
I have actually two important criteria: performance and enough space behind my back.
Off-road possibilities is very appreciated but not critical, since I am living in TX.
Subaru fit very well in all three requirements. I even have got drive test of Forester XT.
I was very happy but later, when I compared specs of Forester XT and Outback, I noticed that turbo-engine of Forester is "underpowered" comparable with same engine on Outback (224hp vs 243hp) and Forester has missed H6 (245hp) engine in line that could be suited very well for him.(when direct competitor RAV4 has V6) And Forester has 4-speed auto transmission vs 5-speed on Outback. Why? Will it worth (in term of performance) to by Outback (XT or 3.0) instead of Forester, specially when Outback is mach more expensive?

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Well, 2 things.

* the Forester is lighter

* the power in that engine is under-rated, big time.

Here is a HP/torque curve from a tuner, before and after. Note that the "before" is 265hp with 91 octane gas and 270hp with 93 octane.

All these engines have plenty of power, but I'd lean towards a turbo. Then drive the two to see which ones handles more to your expectations, and pick that model. You won't regret it.
  • Options
    vlad12vlad12 Member Posts: 2
    Could Outback's engine be tuned same way? Or Outback's engine is on the peak from the stock? For example COBB unlocking an additional 35 HP (power) and 40 lb-ft (torque) from a Legacy GT and increases boost to approximately 15psi. http://www.cobbtuning.com/images_products/3733.jpg

In that case Outback is more powerful again (but you are right more heavy) Probably I need to try to drive both again (and Impreza, by the way)
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That curve says STI, so that's not for the Legacy GT, AFAIK.

The Legacy's turbo has more boost so it probably does make a little more power, one would expect.
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4318

is the location for the '09 Forester maps and the PDF's that explain them. It was explained to me that the Forester is "riding the edge of detonation", and that increasing the richness helped overcome this issue.

The big questions are:
    1. when the user remaps the engine, is it possible for user to __completely___ reverse the mapping back to the original stock mapping?
    2. what will Subaru do if they discover the engine mapping is changed (I assume they will void the engine and possibly entire power train warranty).

My apologies to Edmunds if posting this link raises any issues.
This discussion has been closed.