Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Rondo Gas Tank overflowing

kierstenhmkierstenhm Member Posts: 3
I have a 2007 Kia Rondo that has had a gas tank overflow problem ever since I bought it new in May of 2008. When I pump gas I cannot set the pump to automatically click off because it will not go off until about 1/2 gallon of gas has already overflowed out of the tank, down the car, and onto the ground. Not only is this not environmentally friendly, I fear it is bad for the car as well. I asked Kia about it and they said they have had no other complaints and it just must be the pumps at the gas station I use (though I told them it does it at every station I use). I don't mind pumping the gas manually, but the tank holds 15 gallons and I have to slow the pump to a crawl at about 13 gallons to make sure it doesn't overflow. Anything faster and it just bubbles out. I can't even wash my windows anymore at the pump because I have to be vigilant about pumping. Anyone else out there have a similar problem?
Tagged:

Comments

• ramblinmoramblinmo Member Posts: 38
    If there were any thing wrong, it would have to be a hole or a separation of the fill tube. I would think it would be obvious as gas would be pouring out below the car if this was the situation.

This was interesting.
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/230/how-does-a-gas-pump-know-to-shut-it- - self-off
  • kierstenhmkierstenhm Member Posts: 3
    It is definitely not a hole or separation of the fill tube. There is no gas leaking out under the car. It is all coming out the hole where the gas nozzle goes in. I thought it was probably just poor tank design and that somehow the orientation or shape of the gas tank in these cars did not allow the automatic release on the pump to trigger at the right time. I can't imagine other people with this model are having the same problem, though, since I can find no other complaints. This is a significant enough problem that there would be other people complaining if it was a common occurance in other 2007 Rondos. I'm wondering if somehow my gas tank was installed wrong. Is this something the mechanic at the dealership would be able to determine if I took my car in?
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    certainly a problem as I've never encountered such a thing on my Rondo. My first thought would be to take it to the dealer and get them to fill it up so they can observe it in operation.

came across this article that may help clarify how the pump works:

"How does a gasoline pump at a filling station know when the tank is full?." 01 April 2000. HowStuffWorks.com.

This mechanism has been around for a long time, so it is safe to say there is not a miniature camera inside the nozzle hooked to a microprocessor. It's purely mechanical -- and ingenious.

Near the tip of the nozzle is a small hole, and a small pipe leads back from the hole into the handle. Suction is applied to this pipe using a venturi. When the tank is not full, air is being drawn through the hole by the vacuum, and the air flows easily. When gasoline in the tank rises high enough to block the hole, a mechanical linkage in the handle senses the change in suction and flips the nozzle off.

Here's a way to think about it -- you've got a small pipe with suction being applied at one end and air flowing through the pipe easily. If you stick the free end of the pipe in a glass of water, much more suction is needed, so a vacuum develops in the middle of the pipe. That vacuum can be used to flip a lever that cuts off the nozzle.

The next time you fill up your tank, look for this hole either on the inside or the outside of the tip.
  • vwtobmwvwtobmw Member Posts: 1
    I sympathize with you. I was searching this problem and found your comment. I have a new BMW (2009). The second time I got gas, I heard the nozzle on the pump click as though filled and when I started to take the nozzle out, the gas was overflowing down the side of the car and on my shoes. I drove 2 blocks and the car died. The gas wet something in the fuel line. They towed the car . The service dept. ignored what I told them about the gas overflow (I'm a woman, what would I know?)and kept saying they didn't know what the problem was. Eventually they asked me if they tank overflowed, because the fuel line was wet!.....After that I also watched the pump when I got gas. Yesterday, I had a 1/4 of a tank and went to get gas. It took 4 gallons, the nozzle clicked as though done and when I took the nozzle out, the gas started gushing over the side of the car. The gauge in the car says the tank is half full. Now I'm terrified to get gas. I know everyone says the sensor is in the nozzle but is it possible there is a sensor in the car that could be broken? The first time it happened the dealer said they've never had this problem before. I have also gone to different gas stations. Have you gotten anymore info?
  • colej2colej2 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out what the problem was? My 2005 Titan has the same issue and it used to only be a problem when my gastank was full, now it started doing it when my tank is empty making it difficult to fill my tank up w/Gas and not spill half of it on the ground. :mad: :mad:
  • kierstenhmkierstenhm Member Posts: 3
    No, I have not found out what the problem is. Kia is in denial that there is a problem. I actually took one of the mechanics with me to a gas station neighboring their service center and it did not overflow because the gas at that particular station pumps very slowly (it only does it when it is filling quickly). I asked them to go with me to the Sheetz station (the next closest gas station) the next time I went in, but it was 4 miles away and they said they didn't have the time or manpower to go. I'm pretty frustrated with Kia right now. Let me know if you ever find a solution and I'll do the same.
  • colej2colej2 Member Posts: 2
    WIll do. Mine has done it for the last 3 years but the recent turn for the worse has me searchign for a solution. Seems like a ventalation issue, will dig through online forums until I get a fix.
  • jojo77jojo77 Member Posts: 2
    I have heard that this is due to new regulations with Vapor Recovery Systems installed on the pump itself. There is a micro switch or a sensor depending on the manufacturer, that senses when the tank is full. If this switch connection is not tight the pump will stop filling the tank so you have to move it around and push it back in the filler neck tightly. - This is the reason for it shutting off prior to being full - If you are using an autostop function and the flow is too fast, it may not detect when to stop, hense the overflow - it will take longer to fill up because u need the slower flow, try holding the trigger at medium setting rather than full speed ahead - but you shouldnt have any more issues. The Vapor Recovery system is to help regulate vapors in the air - Government required I believe and is moving slowly across the country -
  • wenceswences Member Posts: 1
    Many thanks to all these replies. Most are from last year, but the last one is from April, and I want to add myself to the list. I just had this happen to me a few days ago, and my Rondo is 2007. I've had it about 5 mos without any problem. I still don't know if it was the pump or the car or both that caused the overflow, but the gas was being thrown even up in the air! And after I got the mess cleaned up (the station attendant insisted it was rain!), the car stalled. Now I'm worried that something is not working properly on the car, or maybe something has been damaged by the overfill. Everything is working fine now, but this may happen again when I go to refill the tank. Is the answer just to fill it more slowly, or did I read it right?
  • rotagrotag Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar issue with my 2008 Hyundai Sonata (Kia is owned by Hyundai). I have owned 2 Saturn's previously and never ever had the pump overflow. When I set the pump on auto and let the car fill at most gas stations the pump will click off and then the car will "burp" and gas will come out the fill area and flow down the side of the car as well as the overflow and come out the bottom of the car. For some reason it does not do it at one local gas station, but does at all others almost every time. I have been bringing it to a Hyundai dealer that has great service however they can't seem to figure out the issue. I just brought it in for the 3rd time tonight, picked it up drove directly to my local station and it overflowed again. Unfortunately, when they tested it themselves after the 2nd repair it was fine. They have replaced the fuel fill lines, the overflow sensor and one other part I can't remember. Each time they are confident that they have fixed it, then I bring it to the gas station and it overflows again.

Not only is it a waste of a highly precious commodity, but it is bad for the environment and my wallet.

Oh and I have 42,000 miles and this started about a year ago at 29,000.

When they solve the problem. I'll post the solution.
  • atlkia2006atlkia2006 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Kia Optima 2006.5 and I have the exact same problem. I am just past my 60,000 miles (just by this weekend's trip!!!). Any word on others who may have resolved this problem. How much did it cost? What did they do?
  • tylerd303tylerd303 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 chrysler and I am begining to have the same problem. It is not spacific to any make or model whats hapening is pressure inside your gas tank builds up and forces the liquid out. One way to temperaraly fix it is to start your car and let it idle for a few minutes with the gas cap off, this will remove some of the pressure if anyone has any other tips please post this is a horible waste of time and money...
  • tylerd303tylerd303 Member Posts: 2
    Got gas again today without spilling a drop on myself or my car, and my soloution was leave the car running while you pump gas, while not recomended by gas stations it is perfictly safe and stops pressure from building up since the gas cap is off and fuel is flowing through the engine. If this does not work there is most likely a problem with your evap control unit or other device that fuel flowes through before reaching your actual gas tank. Hope this helped as Im sure you all know this issue is verry anoying to deal with and getting gas stinks as it is $$$...
  • sleepraidersleepraider Member Posts: 1
    Hey Rotag-
    My soon to be wife has the same issue with her 2008 Sonata. At first, I admit I was thinking "girl at a gas station, geez". I promise I'm not usually a misogynistic dude.
    Anyways, pretty soon there after, my 2007 Jeep Liberty started doing it. Im relatively certain that one car didnt "infect" the other (its not a disease) and its pretty odd in terms of probability, so I started searching. IMO, there's no way its the car and these dealers are doing what dealers do-- ripping everyone the crap off.

IMO, its likely a pump issue not a car/user issue.