Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

Comments

• gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    edited February 2010
    But my order is for a 2.5 limited in ruby red pearl w/o nav or sunroof. Seems like that is a rare combo.There is a scarcity of Legacys like that at least in the NE area.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Here's the full scoop.

Basically the Tribeca was built on that assembly line, and Subaru had hoped it would do enough volume to justify a dedicated line for that model.

Tribeca did not meet sales targets, so SIA started making Camrys on that line, and moved the Tribeca to share a line with the Legacy and Outback.

Of course, if Toyota sales drop due to all the bad press, it's possible Subaru takes that line back and builds enough to actually meet demand.

Who knows how many they could sell if they had enough 3.6R models. I don't think they can get more 5EATs from Japan quickly enough to expand production significantly.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Here in NE SoNE orders the vehicles they want from Subaru 6 months in advance. So, if what you want, including model, color, and factory stuff like moonroof or no moonroof, is not in the forecast you CANNOT get what you want in that 6 month timeframe. If it is, the order can get bumped up to a "sold" status and the build is escalated. However, here they didn't plan for many 3.6 Outbacks figuring everyone would want the 2.5 CVT combo.

The dealer "ordered" a silver 3.6R Premium, no moonroof, for me on Dec 1. Just this week they got confirmation that it WILL be built, and MAYBE it would show up in April. I decided I was tired of waiting, and that in conjunction with the fact that if you get one with the shakes they don't seem to know how to fix it, I bought another Forester instead. So far I am pleased with my decision, and saved a bunch of money.

After 3 Foresters I wanted something different, mostly so my old back can get in and out easier. The increased size of this generation Forester is nice, and I don't bang myself on the B post anymore. It isn't easy being large... and old.
    5 months, and then MAYBE?

Time to kick the Camry out of SIA...
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    There is a scarcity of Legacys like that at least in the NE area.

Blame Ernie Boch - you know his company owns S of NE.
  • dleonard1952dleonard1952 Member Posts: 1
    I just took delivery of my '10 Legacy 3.6R Limited with Nav. I paired my iphone but can't figure out how to upload my phonebook to the car radio. Can anyone help? Also, if I want to simply adjust the treble and bass on the radio is there a simple way. I honestly don't understand the equalizer settings. Thanks!
    dleonard1952
    Check this site out they have been posting thir findings with the HK with nav settings.
    http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92
  • britgeezerbritgeezer Member Posts: 95
    Fortunately for me our new 3.6R limited which we picked up yesterday has no such issues. I would be collecting the information required for a claim under your states lemon laws.
    Yes their color options are strange, with OB they don't even offer a red ....
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    They haven't offered a red on the Outback in many years, despite having offered various shades in the late '90s and early last decade.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    That had me going as well I think he is talking of a Legacy.
    your refering to, yes my order is for a 2010 Ruby Red Pearl 2.5 limited Subaru Legacy.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    ...and it is such a stunning color. It is too bad they do not offer that one on the Outback, opting instead for a myriad of drab and/or off colors.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    with my salesman. He said that a car like the one I want would be here in 2-3 weeks. Something about the allotment had one comfirmed today through their Subaru rep. Only problem is that it will have a sunroof. Oh well if I must then I must. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. (LOL). He threw in the electrochromic mirror and splash guards. If I wanted one with out the roof it would be a longer wait. I told him go ahead put my name on it and keep me posted. How quiet are the sunroofs in the 2010 Legacy when they are closed?
  • lasubeguylasubeguy Member Posts: 18
    You need not worry about the noise from the sunroof when closed. I'm on my 5th Legacy....ALL with moon/sunroofs...and I am now in a 2010 Legacy Ltd with moonroof...and when you close it, my experience has been that :) it is as airtight, quiet and solid as if you didn't have the option. Never had a leak, never had wind noise on any of them. When spring comes, open that baby up and enjoy the rays and some vitamin D!! :)
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    With almost 5 feet of snow upstate New york the Outback did very well in the snow. There was however a strange thumping from the tires at 30MPH. I brought it in for that and the steering wheel vibration. I was told that there was a lot of snow in the wheel wells and that they should be cleaned and that was the cause of the noises. They cleaned it and it was ok.
    As for the Steering vibration, the tires were balanced as one was off a bit. The service manager took it out at 70MPH and said it was fine. I took it out , and again at speeds above 65, my hand feels a vibration and actually shakes slightly . There does not seem to be good isolation between the road and steering wheel. I will return again to service later this month. has anyone with the issue as well found a fix. i do like the car very much in many ways over the 2009 Forester that I had.
    Thanks for any comments and help
    Keep those wheels and wheel wells clean. Ice loves to stick there.

I actually wax my rims to keep ice from sticking and throwing them off balance.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    On the Subaru site, under the description of the OB Ltd. it says a "tire pressure monitoring system" will be "coming soon." Anyone know anything about that?
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    TPMS has been standard on all Outbacks since 2008.

2010, 2009, 2008: all models
    2007: all expect Basic (steel wheel) model
    2006: 3.0R models
    TPMS and rear window defroster are mandatory in all states now. PZEV is becoming mandatory in all states pretty soon too.
  • ctkatctkat Member Posts: 4
    Waited 14 weeks for my 2010 Legacy to arrive and it doesn't have the XM radio because the salesperson thought the new model "came with it." He has apologized and says I can have it installed for "about $500 plus discounted labor." This seems unfair, not to mention expensive. The Subaru website lists it for $398 when ordering the car. They strongly suggest that a Subaru tech install because I also have the navigation system. Comments?
    The XM radio is an accessory and is typically dealer or port installed.

The Subaru website shows it as a $398 accessory.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2010
    They should sell / install it for you for not more than $398.

And make sure they note the purchase / installation on the original sales invoice so that it's covered under the full factory warranty. I believe items installed after delivery (not included on sales invoice) normally only have a 1 year warranty.

It's the salesman / dealer's fault ... someone has to pay and it shouldn't be you.

Good Luck.
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    edited March 2010
    I would want confirmation from SOA that the radio was covered under the 3/36 warranty. If coverage for that period is written on the invoice by the dealer, that would likely obligate the dealer to cover any repairs during that period, but the dealer can't bind SOA.

If you purchase an extended warranty from SOA, you have the same concern, as the extended warranty only covers accessories installed at purchase. Again, SOA would need to sign off on coverage under the extended warranty.

What a PIA for you.

If you haven't closed on the deal yet, (not clear from your posting) have them order the radio and install it before you sign the paperwork. Ask for a free loaner if you need a car.
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    I haven't been reading posts for a while, but there were some previous posts about a mysterious residue eminating from lugnut wells in rear wheels; Has anyone gotten a final diagnosis regarding this substance? Ours now has same symptoms.
    Thanks for your comments. I did already pick up the car and discovered when I got home that there was no XM radio installed. Basically the salesperson was unfamiliar with the bluetooth and the navigation system, and although we couldn't find the XM he insisted it was there. I told him I would take the car home and figure everything out myself. The next day, when I told him there was no XM he thought I was wrong, and told me he would call back after asking one of his advisors. As I said, he was apologetic, but now after I've looked into this more, it is amazing to me that he could get this so wrong. Anyway, I plan on resolving this tomorrow, and will let you know what happens.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    "The next day, when I told him there was no XM he thought I was wrong, and told me he would call back after asking one of his advisors"

This guy is a sorry excuse for a SALES man! I mean come on people, this is a car manufacturer that only sells FOUR MODELS in the US-5 if you consider Outback/Legacy as two models, and their options/accessories are pretty much "stand alones", not "packages" as many other mfgrs do. How hard is it to learn what is what in your offers?

This particularly frustrates me because I spent my working life in SALES. Customers always consdered me to be knowledgeable and honest, because I would often tell them; "I DON'T KNOW, but I'll find out". It didn't happen often because when I saw something in my manufacturers' catalogs that I didn't undertand or thought MIGHT be a customer question I would FIND OUT before I started calling on customers. If I were the sales manager at that store I probably be cutting that guys final check right now.

BTW, when I picked up my new Legacy a few months ago the sales guy (knowledgeable but young) told me to bring my car back during a day the shop was open so they could "program" my Homelink for me! I told him he really should study up on Homelink before he cost himself a sale by saying something stupid BEFORE the sale!

Not bad mileage for a new car and in-town driving.

easypar
    It is interesting that you mention the homelink, because he told me he wasn't sure how to do it. I tried the vague instructions he told me with no luck and scoured the book for details. When I called him about this he told me there should be a brochure that explains it. Guess what? No brochure. I went on the homelink website and found the instructions there. I still have to mention this to him.

I agree with you about the need to look things up or admit if you don't have the answer. I would not have thought less of him for admitting during the purchasing process that he was new at this.

The gas mileage is great and a smooth ride.
    2.5 Outback Limited, 1,000 miles on it, have a steering wheel vibration at speeds between 55-75. the faster I go the more pronounced. Even on relatively smooth roads. I am very concerned. Last service the tires were balanced, this did not help. Today I was informed that SOA is aware of the issue and has gotten complaints. I was told by service to wait 4-5 thousand miles for the tires to wear as that is the problem. I have never in all my car ownerships, and there have been many, heard of such a thing. Furthermore, I have read the nhtsa complaints and several owners have replaced their tires and it did not fix the problem. I called SOA to report my issue . I then googled it and found that there have been complaints already filed by other 2010 owners regarding this with national Traffic and Highway Safety association. Given the recent Recalls with Toyota , I am concerned and hope that Subaru will come up with an immediate fix. if you are experiencing this issue, please be proactive and file a complaint wit SOA and NHTSA for the safety of all of us . Aside from this issue, the car is excellent in all other aspects.
    edited March 2010
    Birdboy,
    I was reviewing the outback reviews on Edmunds (If you scroll over to the three vehicles on the side of this page click on the 139 reviews of the Outback and scroll down to a review by HDN valley you will find this:

"After 3200 miles an alignment is the only warranty service performed. The toe-in was off both front and rear and caused the car to wander a lot at 65-70 MPH. "
    Not sure if this is your problem but thought I would included it here.
    Thank you. I read the review, I am not sure what toe in means and will look it up. My car does not veer off to the right very much, however the constant steering wheel vibration at higher speeds and feeling the road through the wheel is my major concern. I am not sure that an alignment will remedy that, however whatever Subaru wants to do to rectify the issue is fine with me.
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    Reference the automatic speed-volume feature, my reading of the owner's manual for the Limited model (HK audio) is that it is not present on the high end audio system. If anyone knows better, please clarify.
    Thank you. For reasons unknown, speed volume is not a feature on the limited radio. I can not for the life of me, figure out who and why these decisions are made. I am still trying to figure out who made the decision to change from folding mirrors. A very poor decision in my opinion.
  • lasubeguylasubeguy Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2010 Legacy Limited and I had the same problem...a black, oil-like goo that seemed to be oozing from the lugnuts on all 4 wheels. Last time I was at the car wash (4 weeks ago), I had the guys there clean the lugnuts/rims thoroughly and there's been no goo since. (I checked to be sure that all the lugnuts are tight.)Prior to having them clean it, I did it myself but the goo returned. Not sure what to make of it. I'm watching to see if it returns or not and will post if anything changes. No other wheel related issues here. Good luck.
  • metro3metro3 Member Posts: 6
    I own a 2008 Accord EX-L sedan and cannot tolerate the road/wind noise any more. I am considering a Legacy or Maxima. Would someone please give me their consideration of which one is the quietest ride and best overall ownership experience?
    Now that the Legacy has full window frames it should be just as quiet.

Have you test driven them? Car mags can measure the amplitude of noise (decibels), but not the quality of the noise. That's more subjective.

Make sure you test both cars on the same highway in similar conditions.
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    The 2010 Legacy I have--individual cars do vary--has very low wind noise but the road noise is much more evident on our rough-textured Oregon roads. By comparison, my wife's 1990 Cadillac has more wind noise but very little road noise. MacPherson-strut front suspensions as used on the Subaru do tend to transmit more tire noise,but my neighbor's Camry has very little road noise.
  • matt1320matt1320 Member Posts: 20
    I was browsing the dealer staock while our '10 OB was getting its first oil change/service. The discussion with our sales rep. turned to likes and dislikes of the car now that we've driven it for a while. One thing that came up was the lack of folding mirrors on the '10 Outback and Legacy. He explained that the reason behind non-folding mirrors was to help reduce wind noise as much as possible.
    Sounds more like an excuse than an explanation.

Plenty of cars with folding mirrors are quiet.

Having said that, I saw a new Legacy sedan, Premium model I think, in that white pearlcoat, and it looked fantastic.

My buddy's dad got one.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Bingo....they made the mistake and they should correct the mistake. That means full factory warranty and you owe only $398.

I wanted satellite radio too but I wasn't willing to pay the after fact accessory cost plus installation. You ordered yours and you should get it. Nothing more or less should be acceptable if they are a reputable dealer. BTW let us know the dealer and salesman's name if they do not make this right. I will go out of my way to acknowledge good and exemplary service, and will do the same in reverse which means extra effort but it is always worth it for others.
    These forums are great as sources of info and also to vent, but sending a direct complaint to SOA works best.

It is easy to let them know what you like and what you dislike. Your complaint will carry more weight than the 10K customers who didn't bother.

I complained too about the lack of folding mirrors and external turn signal indicators and the removal of weather band radios that could save lives, as well as the lack of map net behind the the driver's seat. Why cut corners? $100 would have covered everything. Car manufacturers are foolish to be penny wise and pound foolish.
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    It is strange to see only the map net on the passenger's side but not the driver side :confuse:
    It is strange to see only the map net on the passenger's side but not the driver side

The presumtion is the driver would be the one reaching for a map most often so not having one on the back of the driver seat (where the driver couldn't reach) makes the most sense.
    Your presumption may be correct. My original point was that by eliminating some very practical and useful features was penny wise and pound foolish. How much more could a seat back net or folding mirrors cost?

In my case even though I have the navigation, the co-pilot (often my wife) is the one normally reaching for maps or literature, and not having the net behind the driver makes it more difficult. Another thing needed is for the nav system to have an interlock override that allows it to be fiddled with when the vehicle is in motion when the passenger seat is occupied.
    The new ones are bigger so they probably felt like they had to cut costs in other places to balance it out a bit.

The alternative is to raise prices, which I'm sure would have been just fine with some folks here.
    edited March 2010
    My original point was that by eliminating some very practical and useful features was penny wise and pound foolish. How much more could a seat back net or folding mirrors cost?

Your original post noted the mirrors, weather band and a couple of other things at a guesstimate cost of $100. In reality, those items would probably add $500-700 at retail. Keep in mind when discussing cost - it's more than the cost to make the item. Add in design, transportation, part support, computer space, order processing, et al. It adds up.

Car makers (just like all manufacturers) have to cut things in order to meet price targets. Heck I love the standard trip computer on my Passat but AFAIK, no VW comes with it anymore.
    I bet yours is Audi-based, the new ones aren't IIRC.
    IIRC, the platform is related to the previous gen A6. But I don't believe the computer is related to the platform. The previous Jetta had one and IIRC, it didn't share a platform.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    The folding mirrors are already designed and in use in other markets. Subaru just wanted to see what they could get away with. A map pocket on the driver's seat back probably would cost another $2 per car (I'm not a fan of those nets that stretch out of shape, anyway). Weather band? There's already a radio going into the car, so how much difference could the price be?

I can understand these deductions on the lesser models, but even on the top model, you don't get them.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Probably a tire out of balance. Also check your tire pressure. Veering is sometimes tire pressure. Vibration at certain speed is usually a wheel out of balance. Alignment could cause either but usually more to the veering one way or the other.