Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

Comments

• gtbdevsgtbdevs Member Posts: 19
    Not sure if you have seen this link, if not check it out.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20843

I am one of many who are going thru the same issue, SOA has offered to buy back our OB, because they can't fix the problem.

Have had numerous road force balances done, did the spring fix, none fixed the issue. Our 1st OB has a build date of 8/09, the dealer got us another OB, this one had a 1/10 build date, the shake/vibration on this OB, way so much worse, then on our 1st OB, before the attempted fixes.

Our dealer is going to find another match to our OB, we are going to try once more.
    If no good, SOA has agreed(we have it in writing), to repurchase our OB.

Good luck to all that have this problem.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Thank you. I hope that SOA will come up with a fix for this steering wheel vibration. Aside from that I really like the car a lot and would not like to part with it. They could not possibly buy back all our vehicles affected, could they? would they??
  • mkmc1mkmc1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2010 3.6 Limited without Nav. WHen I try to transfer my contacts the phone says 'Cannot locate Object Push Server'. Everything else works fine - Ican send and receive calls, load some 'dial by name' numbers, etc...Can anyone help?
  • cliffcliffcliffcliff Member Posts: 1
    Hi

i just purchased a 2010 legacy with nav system. I have it mostly figured out but the instructions on the voice commands are written very poorly. Can someone explain the exact voice command sequence to enter in a destination by voice and also to enter in a destination by voice using preset memory points
  • pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    I was wondering if anyone has found out if SV is on the OB Limited? Book shows it on the single CD radio but not on the upgraded system. That would not make sense not to have it on the upgraded system...
  • mike1944mike1944 Member Posts: 16
    These tires are atrocious on snow and ice,I fished tailed coming out of a parking lot and almost did a 180,before the vdc and steering took over. The 2010 Legacy 2.5I Limited sedan,is my 4th Subaru, and the first that behaved so badly on snow/ice.My prevoius cars were a 2000 GT Limited,2005 GT Limited and a 2008 Tribeca limited.

Has anyone replaced the EL400's,or can recommend a replacement all-season tire. If you changed tires, any adverse affect on the MPG.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You might look into the tire used on the 2010 Outback, but in a size to fit your car? Not sure if these tires are any better or not, however? I don't know what tires they are, but a quick trip down to your local Subie dealer will answer that. :)

Bob
  • jtny1jtny1 Member Posts: 18
    mike
    i did not think my 10 subi legacy was that good in snow this year either and it slipped more than any subi i remember

i hope thats all it is is the tires?????????
  • ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    I don't believe in all-season tire for Midwest & other regions with Snow and Ice. Those regions must implement German's law required winter rubber at winter time and summer tire when whether isn't cold. There no such thing like all season buts.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    If you plan to use them year-round and really want a capable tire in all conditions, I recommend the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jtny1jtny1 Member Posts: 18
    i understand your thoughts on winter tires but i had many all season tires with awd that did great in the winter driving condition in upstate ny! I find these tires or its awd system not to be as good as older subi's period! I hope its just the tires or it will be going bye bye next year
    It is definitely the tires; ironically, Subaru puts rather worthless tires on its cars while touting the safety of AWD!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I think the Lexus ES model uses the EL400 tire. I wonder if they have the sametrouble?
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 Member Posts: 51
    The Bridgestone tires apparently come in more than one version. Mine are EL400 followed by the numeral 2. Perhaps there are quality or performance differences among the various sub-numbered tires.
  • jlengjleng Member Posts: 5
    I recently got a price quote of $23934 for Subaru 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium. I wonder what the best price you got for the same model. How about the best price for Subaru 2010 Outback 2.5 limited? Thank you very much!
  • gus_h_nogus_h_no Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    I just picked up a limited at the dealer yesterday. Test drive was only 45 mph max. Noticed a little steering wheel vibration, not shimmy, a.lmost like the vibrator on a massage chair. It became more prominent as I went faster on the highway. also..the car drifted significantly. I originally thought the drift was the wind, but after this morning I think it is the issues discussed here.

How do you file complaint with regulatory agencies?

If not many people are impacted by this problem is it realistc SOA will find a remedy?
    I believe there are a lot of us affected. There are 23 complaints to date at the National Highway traffic and Saftey Admin. Go to their site and register the vehicle as well as the specific complaint. Be sure to call SOA as well to report this complaint and get a complaint number should you need it down the line.Aside from this issue , the car is really sweet, however we do not know what specifically the cause is .I want to believe that SOA is working on a fix . We all must however report this if it pertains to your car.If anyone out there has any recent information regarding the steering vibrations especially at higher speeds, please share.
    Thanks
  • ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    It's the same junk. I drove just 1 day on those tires and changed it.
    What tire did you change to.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    I've got the same tires on my Legacy, about 4500 miles on them and I don't understand the hate. Maybe 800 or so miles of mine have been in the snow, either here or in ski areas and I don't expect any combination of tires and AWD system to give me the same traction or feel as on dry pavement.

So, I adjust my speed and driving style accordingly. I've never noticed any problem with traction, not even laterally. I've read a lot of reviews on these tires that complained about short tread life, so I expect the manufacturer might have tried to save a few $$ per car on the tires. I expect they'll outlast the OEM tires on my wife's Lexus RX, about 22,000.

In my experience people who expect their tires and AWD to give them the same roadability on snow/ice as dry pavement are heading toward a serious disappointment. They can generally be spotted sitting in the median or in a ditch in their Audi!

easypar
    My 2010 Legacy is my 4th Subaru, so I've had a great deal of experience driving on snow and ice with AWD.I learned with my 2000 Legacy GT that the OEM tires sucked, and replaced them . I did the same on my 2005GT and will probably do so with the new car. I don't tear up the road in snow or ice conditions,and making a modest turn out of a parking lot, should not result in a 180degree rear end drift. I'm glad you're happy with your tires, but read the survey at tire rack and compare the el400 to other tires in its class,its rating from them and consumers indicate they are no good on wet,snowy or icey roads.
    That's right.

The issue is not expecting tires to perform as well on icy or wet conditions as in dry. The OEM tires can certainly get one around with a good AWD system, but it does not make up for the fact that they perform very poorly - period. When an emergency situation arises, that can make all the difference between avoiding a collision or making a call to the insurance company....
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Or the undertaker!
    Hahah; okay, I was trying to keep the discussion light... :P
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    My OB Limited (& all that I have seen) come with a 225/60 x 17 Conti- Procontact 98T tire which is ranked fairly well by CR, but so so at Tire rack. I replaced mine with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 H rating which is the higest rated tire by both CR (including lowest rolling resistance) & Tire Rack.

The Michelins were not available in the 225/60 size so I got 235/55 x 17 with H rating. This is slightly shorter (1.5%) & wider then OEM size. Since drove the Contis < 500 miles I can't say I noticed much difference, but have not complaints about the Michelins - did not have any snow this winter, but again, CR & TR give them higest marks for any all season tires on snow & ice. Thus, based on the ratings from both CR & TR, I'm confident these are about as good as it gets for a AS tire. :D

My MPG has been spot on to the EPA so I can't say comment on how they affected mileage. Being slightly wider & shorter, it may reduce MPG slightly, but I am hoping the fact that the lowest rolling resistance balances that out.

Discount Tire matched the Tire Rack price (with shipping) and gave me $40 each for the OEM take offs (I felt this was very reasonable if not generous.

On subaruoutback.org, a number of owners indicate they like the Triple Treads.
    This has no bearing on the tires at all, but, for your own knowledge, the 235/55 tires are 1.7% smaller in circumference than the stock tires. As a result, any distance recorded by your odometer is slightly off for the purpose of computing fuel economy, etc. The difference is very minor, though. Over 36,000 miles, your car will record 600 more miles traveled than the distance actually covered.

It sounds like you got a great deal on the new tires, especially given the salvage value they gave on the OEM tires.
    Any of you 2010 Legacy / OB owners who would like to tame the body roll on your new buggy. Turns out the rear sway bar for new Leg/OB is same as on 2008 & later Imprezas (whodathunkit)! So you can simple bolt on an OEM Impreza STi or after market RSB to flatten the corners with your OB. Cheap too, about $95 from discount Subie stores.

Or consider the Ralitech 19 mm solid RSB @ $179 w brackets & bushings. - click here to get in on group buy: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=078d92d9c5ed42f751a50978e54- d4739&postid=230222#post230222

Gonna get me some of dat! :shades:
    For any of you 2010 Legacy / OB owners who would like to tame the body roll on your new buggy - turns out the rear sway bar for new Leg/OB is same as on 2008 & later Imprezas (whodathunkit)! So you can simple bolt on an OEM Impreza STi or after market RSB to flatten the corners with your OB. Cheap too, about $95 from discount Subie stores.

Or consider the Ralitech 19 mm solid RSB @ $179 w brackets & bushings. - use this link to get in on group buy: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=078d92d9c5ed42f751a50978e54- d4739&postid=230222#post230222

Gonna get me some of dat! :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That is wild. I know my 98 Forester would fit Impreza sways from that era, but Outback? I'd expect it to be wider.
    If you have been considering taming your 2010's body roll, there an excellent deal via a group buy over on subaruoutback.org. Deal ends April 23.
    There are many posts on the subject starting here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24159&perpage=20&- pagenumber=3

You can contact RalliTeck directly: If anyone is having problems placing the order via the site you can email or call me directly and I will place the order personally. If you email me, I will need your complete billing name and address along with what option you want. Please include your phone number and I will contact you ASAP to collect payment information. We can in fact do Paypal that way as well. My number is 888-773-1212 and my email is ron@ipdusa.com

Ron

Call us @ 1.888.773.1212
    I guess I should have checked the specs on ground clearance before posting this question, but does anyone else feel like their 2010 Legacy sits a bit low to the ground? There is one parking lot in my town that I drag going into every time. It feels like it's right around the firewall.

easypar
    The steering wheel on my 2010 Legacy doesn't appear to have a spring assist to bring the steering wheel back up when I disengage the control lever under the steering wheel column. Is this normal? Previous cars all had a spring assist.
    No, mine doesn't either, it's kind of annoying. Neither our old Forester nor my Maxima had it. To me that's more annoying than the lack of folding mirrors.

easypar
  • arpeearpee Member Posts: 7
    I've got numbers on a lease and wanted some feedback. It's a 2010 legacy 3.6R limited, msrp is 31146. Got them down to around 28,800. Lease offer was for 36 months, 15K miles, residual of 54%, and a money factor of .0012.

Do these sound kosher?
    I have an LG envy touch phone. It does not read or syc with my contacts, otherwise all works fine. Can anyone offer some guidance as to what I am doing wrong or need to do. Thank You
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Does that phone have Phone Book Access (PBA) listed as one of its Bluetooth profiles? If not, contacts are usually not accessible to the in-car device. An exception seems to be certain hard wired Parrot systems that work with my non-PBA Motorola V3.
    Received a call from SOA in response to my letter inquiring as to whether or not the steering wheel vibration at speeds of 60 and beyond are in any way a safety issue. I was told that it was not. They have also contacted my dealer who scheduled a Road Force Test for my vehicle . I already had a wheel balance and that did not help. Does anyone reading have any additional information or fix for the issue..Thanks
  • nornetnornet Member Posts: 24
    How does the CVT perform in the mountains? Are there any issues with it not being able to find the "right gear" when the grades are constantly changing?
    Although I've only got 4500 miles on mine I've been pretty impressed with the CVT. I live in the Colorado Front Range and have driven it to various ski resorts as well as over to Salt Lake City for skiing in the Cottonwood Canyons. It's actually much less annoying than an "old fashioned" automatic, even the newer "electronic" ones.

I think the reason for the lack of a "search" effect is that by constantly seeking to find the optimum gear ratio it's changing gradually. That sentence may sound counter-intuitive; i.e. "search" vs "seek", but it's a matter of incremental change. On the order of going from 2,000 RPM to 2200, then 2300, then 2600 to arrive at point of balance. Automatics would jump from the 2,000 to 3400 RPM if that is the ratio that the next gear down would be at a given speed.

At the salesman's recommendation I loaded the wife, golf clubs and some other weight in the trunk and drove up a narrow canyon to a nearby town. This was actually because of her concern that I might not be happy with the power of a 4 cylinder after years of V8s, powerful V6s and a turbo or two. We bought the 4 cylinder Legacy.

easypar
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I understand that the AWD on the 4 cyl is a different system than the usual Subaru system. How has it done in the snow?
    I've liked it in the snow, but I grew up driving in snow with RWD cars and I've never had a problem.
    easypar,
    Didn't your wife complain about being in the trunk? Where can we find a woman like that!!!
  • new_outbacknew_outback Member Posts: 3
    Just got a Brand New car last week. This Saturday while I was driving, Check
    Engine light comes on, and several other lights came on or started blinking. Called sales at dealer since the service was closed. I was told most likely it would be caused by loose gas cap. I then added more gas and tightened the cap. After several trips, short and long, the light are still on or blinking!!

I got really frustrated now! :mad: :mad: What should I do except for having the car
    checked at the dealer tomorrow? To file a complaint? Anything else I can do?

Thanks,
    I may take several fillups to turn the light off if it is the gas cap. I can understand your frustration. Keep this forum posted as to what the dealer finds.
    A blinking light is a more serious warning, you're supposed to park it and call a tow truck.

New Subarus include roadside assistance, so call the number on that card and have it towed to your dealer. I'd ask for a loaner as well since it's a brand new car.

Good luck and keep us posted.

PS You cross-posted that complaint in several forums, there's no need to do that and it's against Edmunds' rules.
    I didn't know there was a magazine called Family, nor that they tested cars. :D

Any how, it never hurts to win more awards. Best Family Cars of 2010: Subaru Legacy.

http://www.parents.com/parenting/money/car-buying/best-family-cars-2010/?page=4
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a new Subaru in the past few months, a reporter may want to talk with you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 14, 2010 with your daytime contact info and the make/model you traded in.
    The interview was very interesting. Hopefully I was able to assist in the review process of the new Legacy and Subaru products in general.
    I like my new Legacy, but liking it does not blind me from seeing things that I would like changed. 1) Put a spring-assist on the tilt steering wheel, like the much cheaper car I sold after buying the Legacy. 2) Get rid of the audible gear noise. Modern engineering makes quiet gears easy to achieve. 3. Add a sixth gear, like major competitors. Heck,get a marketing edge and install the excellent seven-speed automatic from Jatco, which is not far from the Japanese plant. Include the speed-volume audio feature from the cheaper standard audio system. Why pay more for the Harmon Kardon system and get less? Reduce front end tire and road noise. Yes, MacPherson struts tend to transmit more noise, but other brands are doing better. with similar suspension. Quiet down the exhaust. It is power that I want, not more noise, when accelerating hard. Can you make the engine idle smoothly? It has been many years since I had a six-cylinder engine that vibrated the steering wheel when idling. Delete the economy-gauge. It is useless. Make the center-dashboard section data display twice as bright in daylight and display 50 percent larger numbers. And make the AC fan less noisy, like on some lower cost cars. The tilt steering wheel simply doesn't tilt far enough for my preferences. The cost to fix would be small. Why am I complaining? Because this is an excellent car that merits the best of engineering refinement.