Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Could be a rusty part given the car sat around for a while, if they're changing it I wouldn't complain.

You can check the production date on the door jamb, then compare to when you bought it. It probably sat around for .... well, not long given the demand for Outbacks!
  • lasubeguylasubeguy Member Posts: 18
    :confuse: Last night I started my car and pulled out into a busy street and suddenly, out of nowhwere this god-awful sound started up....unlike any sound I've ever heard come from a Subaru (this is my 5th one) or any other car, for that matter. It was a kind of metal-on-metal rubbing sound and seemed to be coming from the movement of the wheels but I could not be sure. So I pulled over, put the car in neutral, and revved the engine, and the noise abated. Then, I put the car in drive, and sure enough, that awful metal-on-metal rubbing sound started up again. I stopped again. This time I put the car in neutral, then in reverse, backed up a few meet, put it back into drive and the sound stopped. It was loud and awful sounding; the kind of sound that if it had continued I would not have kept driving the car. I heard a metal clank just before it began, almost as if something made of metal had fallen off the car. I looked under the car, saw nothing in the street, and there was nothing hanging or dragging from the chassis. I am clueless to what this could be. I drove home--about 5 miles--through some twisty turning streets, up hills and down hills, and the sound did not recur. Anybody out there in forumland have a clue what this could be?
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Sounds like one of your brake pads binded up and was dragging. Driving in reverse re-seats the brake pads and may have reset it back in position. If this is the case, you should have the dealer clean and lubricate your brake mechanicals. Just a guess.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    That or a rock became lodged in one of your brakes are the most likely scenarios. Reversing the vehicle usually frees the rock, which then falls to the ground. It certainly is a horrid, unnerving sound... almost like nails on the chalkboard times ten!

Yikes.... I imagine there will come a time when that saying will no longer be understood! :cry:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    We have a brand new 2011 Outback 3.6.

I posted a problem earlier about a noise we get upon releasing the brake pedal. Now we have ANOTHER problem with this 3 week old car: the car jumps or skips when we accelerate - several times a day.

Has anyone heard of this and what could it be?

We are becoming increasingly frustrated with our NEW car'

Thanks for any and all advice.
    Thanks for the input, eps105. I will definitely check with the dealer on that. I went down to my car this morning strangely dreading driving it (which never happens!) and went about my usual drive about town to work, etc. and everything was back to normal.
    Thank you for that response, xwesx. It was as you very correctly described "a horrid unnerving sound." I was with a friend and would have thought I was having auditory hallucinations had I not had a witness to it. This is a 2010 Legacy Ltd. with 5100 miles and it is normally as quiet as a museum inside. Fortunately, it went away and as of today, after a normal day of L.A. driving, it has not made its presence known again. Fingers crossed that it will stay that way.
    Yeah, probably a rock. I get those fairly often (once every few months) but I drive on quite a few gravel/dirt roads.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    When you've had this happen in the past, have you ever had any kind of damage to the rotor or caliper or any other part of the brake mechanism? Just wondering if this is something I should have looked at by the dealer. There's nothing strange happening with the way the car drives now. Thanks.
    Minor damage to the rotor only. The rock will create a small groove in the face of the rotor, but I have never worried about it. I had the problem most frequently with a 1996 Outback (probably 2-3 times a year). I drove that car to 220,000 miles, and it was on its original rotors and second set of brake pads (both front and rear); the system worked just fine. The rotor surfaces were not glassy smooth, but they also were not warped and braked very smoothly.
  • frenchguy007frenchguy007 Member Posts: 28
    Now at 5,000 miles on my 3.6R Legacy. It has been a hot summer and so the A/C has worked overtime! When I turn on the auto climate control and it is hot out, the car automatically activates the recycled air feature on the HVAC system. Is there a way to de-program this feature? I understand the reasoning, recycle the air to cool the car quicker, the problem is that recycled air makes the windows dirty (puts a dirt film on them). Any suggestions on de-activating this feature?
    My 2010 Legacy Limited is now almost 9 months old and has 5350 miles on it. It is a city car, and despite its Subaru lineage, has never seen off road conditions. As you can see by my mileage numbers, it is not driven hard. So all that said, the cabin of the car is full of little creaks. I notice it when the radio is off, and the a/c is on...and mostly on the left side of the cabin, front and back. There is a distinct creaking noise that emanates from the left dash area, and from the rear left seat area, although I have not been able to pinpoint it. It is not leather creaking. I don't know what it is. It is the kind of elusive noise that is difficult to describe to the service guy and have him find it unless you go along for the test drive and point it out. But it is annoying and it suggests to me poor workmanship or something not fitting just right with something else. When I accelerate, it creaks. When I brake, it creaks again. I'm just wondering if anyone else out there in Legacyland is experiencing anything similar. For the most part, I love the car. I've had a few minor issues with it, but let me emphasize minor.
    Welcome to Subaru ownership! All three of the Subaru's I have owned in the past few years have been creak/rattle boxes.

Do exactly what you already suggested - drive it with the service manager and point out all the noises.... and keep on them until the rattles/creaks are gone! Warranty work hits SOA in the pocketbook, so it gives them incentive to better their factory fitment policies and procedures.

Judging, though, by how many cars have these rattles, I'd say not nearly enough owners are addressing the problem. ;)
    Also, make sure it's not something you put in it.

I had some rattling and it turned out to be a coin holder that I have. Oops.

Some self-adhesive velvetty liner took care of that.
    Thanks for the input, xwesx.

This 2010 is my 5th Subaru (and my 4th Legacy) and the first one with this amount of creaking or irritating interior noises. I had a 2006 Legacy and the frame/springs of the driver's seat (also leather) squeaked from the first day I had it until I traded it in! Again, minor annoyance, but annoyance still the same. They never were able to fix it.
    Good suggestion. Thanks.
    edited August 2010
    I had no problems with my '96 Outback until it got older (>120,000 miles), then some things, mostly the dash, started to develop rattles. I can forgive an older car for that, though!

Afterward, I had two Outbacks, a 2007 and a 2008, and both of them had identical rattles: dash, B-pillars, glove box, rear gate. They fixed the dash and gate rattles, but never did fix the glove box or pillars. On the glove box, they replaced the one in my 2007 but it did the same thing afterward, so I didn't even bother addressing it on the '08. I did not have either car long, so I don't know how they would have aged.

The 2010 Forester I have is very quiet after addressing the from-new door rattles. I have 16,000 miles on it now and it is still quiet; I hope to be able to say the same thing at 116,000 miles! :D
  • rschleicherrschleicher Member Posts: 79
    My 2010 OB is basically rattle-free. One thing I have noticed, however, is that the seat-belt buckle for the passenger seat sometimes bangs around a bit if it isn't hanging right.

So far, at least, every little rattle noise has been something trivial, like the above example, or else something left in a cup-holder.

The "plug" for the 12-volt output behind the shift lever also seems like a loose fit. And whenever I am using that outlet I have a hard time figuring out where to stash the plug so that it isn't rattling around....
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    From cars101.com

8/31- Fold-In outside mirrors are now available for the 2010 Outback and Legacy The non-breakaway power outside mirrors on all 2010 Outback and Legacy were a source of concern for many people. This was fixed on 2011s, and now these fold-in mirrors are available as replacement for the 2010s, in all the colors so no painting is required. Mirrors kits (including left and right side) are MSRP $199.95 from your local Subaru dealer. Standard unheated mirror kit is part #SOA635985, Heated mirror kit is part #SOA635086
    Not cheap, but anyone's breaks, replace it with this part # for sure.
  • wired1wired1 Member Posts: 45
    Dear Crew;

I'm finding that building an Outback has gotten more complicated in the last 8 years since I purchased my 2002 L.L.Bean. Guidance please:
    1. Moon Roof: Used to have two standard. Now a single moonroof is an option?
    2. That nifty sounding internet "hot spot". Any idea as to how well it works? Is there a separate monthly charge, or does it somehow piggyback as part of my cell phone plan?
    3. Any other items that were part of the "Bean" package that are now "options"?
    Thanks in advance.........">
    Single moonroof is a-la-carte now and only offered on some models.

I think they did that because some tall folks wanted head room first and foremost.

If you like lots of glass check out a Forester. Most models come with a huge one standard.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    I don't currently own a Subaru, but am considering the Legacy. I've driven V6 sedans for many years (Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima), and have enjoyed the reduced vibrations and noise and lower RPM on the highway compared to I4 versions, as well as the increased HP.

How does the H4 Subaru with CVT feel on the highway at 70 mph? Is there much vibration and noise? What RPM is the engine turning on a flat road at 60 or 70 mph? I have never owned a CVT car (in fact my current Maxima is a 6MT), but it seems this would be one of the strong points of that transmission - low RPMs when power is not needed.

While I will certainly miss the HP of a V6 if I go with a 4-cyl car, I think I can live with that since I so seldom put my foot into it. But I'm pretty hesitant to accept more NVH (noise, vibration and harshness), even for more MPG.

Any feedback regarding both the 4- and 6-cylinder Legacy is appreciated.
    You may be happier with the smooth-as-buttah H6.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Tim, I came out of a 2003 Maxima, automatic. I had similar concerns and I went with a 4 cyl Legacy. I did extensive road testing first and I find the Legacy to be as smooth, or smoother. I was suprised to note the size of the '10 Legacy is within 1/10" on just about every dimension as my Max was. The only thing smaller is the trunk but I'm not in sales any more so that doesn't matter.

I really like the CVT, it's great for mileage. To see some of my numbers on that please go over to the thread on mileage with the CVT.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    The four is slow in highway driving, esp. passing and on long upward grades. It is OK in town.

The CVT makes a loud, objectionable droning noise. I did not like it at all on the car I test drove. Some folks say they can't hear it but it is definitely there.
  • nedlyjnedlyj Member Posts: 89
    Our 2011 Outback has just developed a high pitch whine/whistle noise in the front that begins around 2500 rpm and increases/decreases with rpm (rpm not mph/speed). Very audible under acceleration beginning at 30 mph and sounds similar to high speed wind noise of a nylon lawn trimmer (but it's not car wind noise). This has definitely not been there for the first 1000 miles, and just started in last few days. Any ideas what to have service look at? Thanks.
  • etan797733etan797733 Member Posts: 8
    The noise could be coming from the alternator.
    I thought about that but I can't replicate the noise when "not moving" and I would think if it was the alternator I could replicate it when in Neutral. It's very prevalent when going 30-40MPH, but can't get it when in Neutral sitting still. Even my kids say it sounds like wind noise, but rises and falls with rpm (if I rev from low rpm while driving). Could an intake leak or the fans cause this?
    edited October 2010
    If the sound is not there at all when the transmission is disengaged, it is most likely coming from the transmission. Does the noise persist if you put the transmission in neutral while you're going 30-40? In other words, you're accelerating and you hear the noise - put the car in neutral... does the sound immediately stop?

When you test it in neutral while standing, there are a lot of parts that are not turning (from the transmission onward), so it could be the transmission itself, a differential, etc.
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    edited October 2010
    Drive at the speed you hear the noise but have all the windows down and the sunroof open(If you have one). If you still hear the noise have a passenger try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Roll the sunroof closed first then the opposite rear passenger window then the driver side rear window then the passenger front and then the driver side front. Make sure the inside air vents are open and the fan is off. Possibly the noise might abate during one or more of these trials.
    Failing that I would ask a service manager to go for a ride and see what s/he might be able to figure out.
    OK, I've done the Neutral test... here are my results.

Where the noise can be heard the best is when it's traveling around 35-40MPH (even though it doesn't seem to be wheel speed related) and is amplified when depressing the accelerator as rpms rev.

Today I drove and then dropped the car in Neutral around 40MPH and revd the accelerator - noise is still there, and is actually much more pronounced now in neutral because you don't have the engaged transmission noise. Again, the noise gets louder (and higher) right along with engine rpm (meaning, you depress the accelerator and the noise increases). Once you hear it, you can then identify it even at lower speeds and rpms, but you really hear it the loudest around 40MPH for some reason. Also, again, it does NOT make the sound when stopped and revving in Neutral, and the noise does NOT change with wheel speed.

To those asking about isolating the noise inside the car - ummm... it's coming from the engine compartment, so unless I stick my wife up under the hood while I'm driving... can't get more specific than that.
  • seabrook7039seabrook7039 Member Posts: 44
    What transmission do you have? CVT or 6-spd manual?
    It is the CVT (4-cyl).
    I don't know enough about how the CVT works to narrow it down further, but it sounds to me like the problem is something in the transmission. Given it is under warranty, I would take it to a shop and have it examined.
    Well, yes, it is going in to the shop for investigation tomorrow - but I was hoping to gain a little knowledge here before hearing the "it's normal" response from the dealer (which I won't believe because it wasn't there for the first 1800 miles).

I'm still a little vague though on how it could be the transmission when it's still there when I drop into neutral - and gets louder/higher with rpm when I rev it in that condition. Transmission is disengaged at that point, so engine rpm shouldn't be transferring into the transmission (except for the clutch, but I'm not sure about the mechanics on a CVT), right?

Of course if it was just related to the engine, then I would expect the noise to still be evident when standing still and being in Neutral.

I'll probably have to drive another 2011 at the dealer if they say it's nothing - to prove (to them or myself) whether it's a real problem or not.
    edited October 2010
    Well, that's the point at which it becomes vague for me too, because I don't know enough about how the CVT works. It is not like a manual transmission, wherein you literally disconnect the transmission when you press the clutch pedal. In that regard, I *think* it is more like an auto tranny where the torque converter and front end components of the transmission stay connected to the engine at all times.

So, when you're going to down the road, you have the drivetrain and everything up to the point in the transmission where it disconnects from the engine in neutral spinning with the wheels, and everything on the other side of that point spinning with the engine. There's something about that operating speed that is causing the noise, yet when you place the CVT in neutral and rev the engine, the sound changes with the engine. So, it is speed and RPM dependent, but independent of transmission engagement. ?

Seems the problem must be in the CVT, but where... I just don't know.

We already know it's not normal, so take it for a drive with the service manager and show him/her the problem first-hand.
    edited October 2010
    We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'll report back - hopefully with some level of answer other than "no problem found" :(
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Subaru Legacy who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Okay, after 4 months and 16,000 km (10,000 miles) here are my thoughts on this car (hopefully someone from Subaru is watching). Take into consideration that I change every two years (company car) and that my last two were Altima's 3.5SE.

I hate the bluetooth, it is useless at highway speed and since I do a lot of work calls on the highway it is a major inconvenience. Put the sound through the car stereo speakers please (like everyone else).

After you remove the bluetooth speaker out of the center console move the HVAC and emergency flashers up in its place, maybe then I won't turn on the four ways every time I put the car in park (hit the 4 way flasher switch with my knuckles). Use the space that you get back to make the center console storage under the HVAC system bigger.

I would like to control for myself the recirculating air switch, it goes on all the time on auto, making the windows all slimy and therefore collecting dirt from the humidity in the recirculated air.

Add one or two reading lights in the back, you have now made the car a family sedan so make it so that the kids can read in the back when coming back from their evening activities.

The bottom part of my power seat goes up or down, can we get it to tilt front to back as well?

Get a sixth gear or CVT transmission to reduce rev's at highway speed (costly on gas).

As much as I think the storage drawer under the trunk carpet is a cool storage area, I prefer to get the trunk space (again now that the car is family size it is attracting a broader audience that needs the space).

On a final note, I absolutely love the handling, hands down the best thing on the car, corners like a pro. The power is almost as addictive as my 3.5 Altima's were. Despite the comments for improvement I really like the car, in two years I would buy another Legacy on one condition that they fix that bluetooth system, this is way behind industry standards for a family sedan in this category.
    Not that this is any consolation, but the Bluetooth that is built into the H-K sound system does play through the sound-system's speakers, and sounds pretty good. Your's must be the add-on Bluetooth accessory?
    Dropped the Outback off today after taking a ride with their lead service tech and confirmed the noise. As expected, I learned later, Subaru says this is normal for the CSV 4-cyl (although my wife swears, and I also think, it wasn't noticable prior to last week).

However, with tha said, the Service Manager is giving me his Outback tonight to drive home and confirm that yes indeed we hear it in his as well. So, a nice offer and I'll be picking ti up tonight to do just that. I'll report back later :)
    My bluetooth has the center console activation buttons in the middle with a speaker on one side and microphone on the other. I believe that with the Nav system you get the bluetooth through the H-K audio system speakers and you also get a button on the steering wheel to accept and end calls (the non nav cars only have the center console button to accept and end calls).

What gets me is that the capability is there but they have added this lousy ten cent speaker (at extra cost to them) to run the audio for the bluetooth on the non nav equipped cars.

Two other things I forgot to mention about the car, my 2010 does not have an exterior satellite antenna, I have an after market antenna glued to the interior of my front windshield (top passenger side). For the price I paid I would expect an exterior mounted antenna like all others in this category (I understand that this is no longer the case on 2011 models). The other thing is the weak air conditioning, it takes forever to cool down on hot days, I have noticed several comments of this nature in other blogs so seems to be a "to do" project for Subaru to make it better.

They are so close to having an industry winner here, some minor adjustments and this car would sell by the boatload. Subaru, I hope you guys are listening.
    I agree abotu hitting the 4-way flashers when putting the car in park. I don't use my phone much and this is my first car with bluetooth so I don't have anything to compare it to. I think the A/C is adequate for the size car but I leave my sunroof open a couple of inches when it's really hot and I don't live in Texas any more (yay!). Mine is black though so it does get hot inside.

My main complaint is that the seats just don't seem to give enough back support after an hour or more of driving. I try varying the lumbar support occassionally and even have a small rolled up towel that I tuck in. My wife's Lexus (RX330) is better, but not by much. Nothing can compare to my old Grand Marquis or the older Infiniti Q. My back aches severely when I first get out to stretch on the road, but it's better a few minutes later. Anyone else have this compaint?

14,400 miles in 11 months.
    for the seat I think the best solution is if the bottom section pivoted front to back, something I noted in my original post of my four month review. That would allow for the raising of the thighs and thus put more backwards force on the back. That would make it more comfortable in my opinion.

BTW, I drive 200-300 mile routes all the time and at first could not find the same comfort that I had in other vehicles but seem to be used to it now.
    I'll try putting the front of the seat higher and see if that helps. My next couple of long trips are in our sport ute so it'll be a couple of months.

Thanks
  • thor14thor14 Member Posts: 17
    I have a new 2011 Outback. Not sure if this has been addressed in other forums. But does anyone know what the twang noise under the car is from after I begin to move forward upon starting my car. It almost sounds like a spring releasing something back into place.

My sense is that this is a normal operation for the vehicle, but I'm curious as to what it actually is.

I've heard various reports that it could be the ABS running a test, or the brake booster. Any ideas here?

Thor
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Does it only happen once and right after starting up? If so, it is probably the ABS self test.
  • thor14thor14 Member Posts: 17
    Yes. Thanks.

I was guessing its normal, but just wanted to know what was going on.

Thanks.
    Actually, I have a non-Nav H-K audio system (car is a 2010 3.6R Limited, without Nav), and my Bluetooth is built into the H-K system, with the dialing and hang-up buttons, etc. on the steering wheel, and using the speakers of the H-K system.

Perhaps it is different as a result of being a Limited.