Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

Comments

• vehiculusvehiculus Member Posts: 4
    hi,

i am about to pull the triggers on an 2010 outback. my wife and i test drove it last weekend. we felt the 3.6 drove a bit more aggressively. it was 'funner' to drive.

i don't like that the sunroof is so small. and i don't like that the mirrors don't fold in. but neither of those are deal breakers.

that said, what can you tell me about the navigation? is there any way around the grayed out functions while driving? or are you really able to control everything with voice commands? also, are there traffic updates? does it work thought the satellite radio? is the navigation satellite based or is it dvd based? do we need to get updates? or will it update itself?

i know those are a lot of questions, but i am unable to find the answers and the dealers seem to know less that i do. thanks. :)
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    Hi,
    Here in Canada, to my understanding, the PZEV is only available on the base model of the legacy, or outback, so if you want any options: no PZEV. Most people up here don't have any idea about it, or what it is, while I would think they'd have commercials blowing their horn about it. It's a great idea.
    So I would have two or three years on a lease with no PZEV. :-(
    I also don't understand the tiny sun roof! What gives with these steps backwards! Mirrors that fold, turn signals on mirrors (both great safety ideas) small sunroofs,
    and then there's the cost. The Outback was more than the Legacy wagon, so if I want a wagon the choice is more expensive for something I'm not really wild about with fewer things than I had before.
    The Forrester is much different for me. Just grab the door handle: it slides and rattles, it's loose. Grab the back seat, it's also loose. Not even a cargo cover for the base one; again, it's a safety thing, you can't conceal anything back there unless you buy the cover. That's cheap! Make people pay for things they used to get, but tell them the cars are cheaper.
    It's like the old joke about the guy who goes to the farmer and says he wants a wagon, and the farmer says, "ok, that'll be 100.00." The city guy says 'OK'. The farmer then says, "do you want wheels with it?" "Oh yeah, I'd better get some of those, How much?" "50.00." "OK", he says. "Each." says the farmer, and so on.

I still think they need to work on the back seat, too: ventilation, heated back seat, etc. Where did the cup holders go from the center?
    cdndriver.
    I'll have a closer look this week. The wiring harness blew on the steering column, so the airbag light is on. I spent three hours there while they looked for the problem and the sales guy didn't even show my through the cars. He did try to sell me an 09 Outback though, for 32,000 cash....
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I see.

Yeah, the '09 Outback is the last of the wagons. I agree that it would be very nice if Subaru added the Legacy wagon back to the lineup now that the Outback has taken such a leap into SUV territory. It certainly places a hole in the lineup.

The Outback's sunroof is a joke - it is just as tiny is most other offerings out there; it does not even hold a candle to the Forester or prior offerings on the Outback/Legacy.

I'm not sure about the comments on the Forester. The seats and handles are solid in mine, though I do have a rattle inside both front doors. Not sure what it is, exactly, but both rattle and it can be heard just by closing the door. I will address that with the local dealer in December when my wife does not need the car for a couple weeks. The rear cup holders in that car are now built into the back seat. It is a nifty little setup, I think, but obviously would not work well if there were three passengers in the back!

I agree about the de-contenting. I think it is quite silly that the rear cargo tray and cover are not included as standard equipment. While the cover isn't all that necessary on the models with tinted glass, if one puts in the effort, the cargo is still visible without the cover. They even go so far as to mold a storage area for the cover into the space underneath the cargo floor, but still do not offer the cover standard. I think that storage space would be much better suited if it was molded to store the crossbars (on the Forester - the Outback's bars store themselves now), but then again those do not come standard either. In fact, the base model deletes the roof rails altogether! :sick:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I went to a Subaru dealer yesterday and picked up a small sample size of Outback Detergent, plus a sock puppet of Stinky the Skunk. :D

Very, very funny marketing campaign.

My wife even got a stain remover pen. Cracked us both up.
    anyone have much experience with the navigation on the 2010 outback? can it get traffic updates? does it work via satellite, or does it work off a dvd?

and how about satellite radio - i see you can get an xm or a sirius kit. but aren't they the same now? as far as subaru, is there a preferred kit?

and what's the harness? i'm thinking about getting the interior lighting package, but it seems you also have to get some sort of harness.

anyone?

thanks.

ps. is $400 over invoice a good price? anyone having better luck in this economy?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Stinky the Skunk...

I guess it was too expensive to call Time Warner and license Pepe LePew... :D

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • nes2nes2 Member Posts: 14
    I agree with most of your comments except the part about the roof racks. If you are a outdoors enthusiast and are used to putting a couple of kayaks or a long canoe then the factory rack sucks. Yes, it looks cute but its flawed in that you cant move the cross bars and the bar spread is minimal and so longer cargo(even a ladder) would not be well supported. The 2009 side rails were long and could easily support an off market rack such as a Thule but with the 2010 you would have to use the factory bars which wouldn't help - you still have lousy bar spread.
    very disappointing.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Page 19 of this Outback brochure PDF shows the 2010 Outback carrying a kayak on the roof. So it can be done.

http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/brochures/2010_outback.pdf

Bob
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you are a parent and drive a new Legacy, please email pr@edmunds.com to be interviewed.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Can't you tie down the ends to a hitch and the front bumper? I imagine there are ways to compensate for that.
  • eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Vehiculus, Despite many functions being locked out while driving and an arguably mediocre user interface (including lack of 3D view and text-to-speed found on even $100 Garmins), I am finding the system to work pretty well and be pretty robust even while the car is in motion.

For example, you can still access your Bluetooth phone speed-dial list while driving or even use the voice command to dictate a phone number. You can use the voice command to find the nearest POI's while driving, and you can initiate guidance while driving to your list of 5 favorite destinations. You can also change albums from the USB/iPod sequentially (previous/next) while driving (but you can only view the full list and jump to a specific album while stopped.)

So while many functions are locked out while driving, I find I can still do most everything I need to do while in motion within limits.

I did not purchase Siruis or XM, but I am 99% sure that there in no support for traffic in the Outback.

Sirius and XM are merged to one company, but they are still separate offerings and programming.

I think you have your tech jargon confused. "Satellite based navigation" simply means it uses GPS signals from the GPS satellite located all around Earth. All GPS systems are "satellite based". That's how they work. The software that uses those signals and displays your location on a map is always locally based. There's no such thing as the GPS signals updating your software. The GPS nav in the Outback has the maps and points of interests on DVD, which plays in a 2nd hidden DVD player behind the bezel of the nav system. The only way to get map/POI updates is to buy them from Subaru through Kenwood at about $250 a pop. If the nav software itself is updated, that can be flashed into the nav system's memory, but I'm not sure if that is free.

Hope this helps.

Elliot
    http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/suv/112_0912_2010_suv_of_the_year_winner/ind- - ex.html

Kudos to Subaru, but did you see the the list of vehicles in this group? How can you compare a 4-Runner (a BOF traditional SUV aimed at off-road customers) with an Outback (raised unit-body station wagon aimed at going to the shopping-mall customers), or a Venza, etc.?

Forget comparing apples-to-apples, or even apples-to oranges; no, you're comparing apples-to-hamburgers here. The current SUV-of-the-Year and Truck-of-the-Year awards are a joke, because there's no way you can objectively cross-compare the vehicles involved. Now the MT editors said they were grading these vehicles by certain objective standards, and that they weren't cross-comparing these cars—but customers will!

Bob
    Elliott: thanks for the detailed feedback.

No 3D is ok with me, I think that's gimmicky anyway. You sort of lose space on the screen, as things get smaller as they get farther away. I use 2D mode, the direction I'm traveling facing up.

No text-to-speech? Yet it takes voice commands? What an odd combination.

For the Tribeca the pair of updated DVDs costs $230, but you can split it if you find someone on the other coast to share the cost. That would cut the price to $115 plus the shipping (twice).

How's the 8" screen? That's a nice size. Garmins go up to 5" or so now.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    They explained that they were not comparing each of the vehicles to each other directly. Rather, they were comparing each to six specific characteristics: engineering excellence, advancement in design, performance of intended function, efficiency, safety and value.

She Outback is clearly a step apart from all others and a tremendous value.
    Consumer Reports agreed - they rated the 4 cylinder model above even the V6 Venza.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I am still researching the new Subaru 3.6 and have some questions about the Navigation system in the car so equipped. I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra cost to buy the 3.6R Limited with Navigation or simply the 3.6R Limited without it and subsequently purchase a portable navigation system such as the Garmin instead.

Can you tell me a bit more about the Navigation system? I know that it is made by Kenwood for Subaru. Does it use more than one disc for both the U.S. and Canada? Does it have any text-to-speech capability? Does it have lane assist, as does the Garmin Nuvi portable unit? How up-to-date is the data base?

Thank you for any information that you can provide.
    I believe it uses 2 DVDs like the Tribeca, but Elliot can confirm that.

It do not believe it has text-to-speech or lane assist.

Garmin's way ahead of them, being a GPS pioneer. Problem is the screens only go to 5" and they're not built-in.
  • tee_el_ceetee_el_cee Member Posts: 20
    Torn between the LGT's stick shift and the utility of the Outback, I'm thinking about racks and cargo boxes for the Legacy. The Subie site doesn't list any yet.

Has anyone put a rack on their 2010 yet? Yak or Thule?

Does Subie generally re-sell Yak or Thule or roll their own?

The Thule website didn't have anything for the 2010 Legacy yet.
    The Yakima website did, but it also listed a 2010 Legacy Wagon,
    so I'm not sure if I trust it.

What's it like driving a sedan with a cargo box on the roof?
    Which brand do you like?

Thanks,
    tlc
    Does Subie generally re-sell Yak or Thule or roll their own?

The Forester stuff used to be re-badged Yakima racks.
    elliot,

thanks for all the info. VERY helpful.

-v
    Had my WRX in for the 15K service today, and the dealer gave me an '09 Outback as a loaner. After I got my car back, I thought it might be a good idea to drive a new Outback, while my memory was still fresh regarding the '09 model. I had already driven several 2010 2.5 Outbacks, but that was when they first hit the showrooms, and very briefly drove a 3.6 as well.

The '09 Premium (I think it was a Premium, as it had the H&K audio, but cloth seats) was only a tad quieter than my '09 WRX, which was a surprise. I thought it would be much quieter than my WRX, but it wasn't. Where the WRX is noisier is with the tires. The high-performance summer tires are just very noisy, plain and simple. The '09 had a bit over 9K on it, and it felt tight and rattle-free, which it should. It was also quite comfortable, but strained a bit for power on the highway.

The 2010 3.6 Limited (w/o NAVI) is in a whole different league. It was very refined and very quiet—and I mean quiet! The extra power from the 3.6 was also much appreciated. This is a very, very nice car, er... SUV thingy. Other than the well-documented decontenting, Subaru did one heck of a job with this car. I could easily see this replacing my wife's Forester. It would be a great car to take trips with, for sure.

Bob
    While at the dealer, they were unloading some new Outbacks. The cars were delivered in those fully enclosed car carriers, with the rounded back end, like what BMW uses.

http://floridaboatexports.com/images/563_G42480_3_.JPG

This one caught fire.

http://www.allamuchyfire.org/images/car%20carrier4.jpg

Bob
  • oceana143oceana143 Member Posts: 38
    Hello. I noticed in the Legacy brochure that fog lights are shown on the last page as a dealer installed accessory. What is the price generally charged for this? Also, is there already a place in the dashboard for the switch? Thank you.
    Don't know the price, but the switch is on the steering wheel column stalk with the headlamp switch. You may have to get a new stalk that includes the fog lamp control switch, but I'm not sure about that?

Bob
    anybody know why the europeans get a legacy wagon and why they also get a better version of the outback?
    Maybe its because nobody would buy the north american outback if they could buy the legacy wagon instead!
    check out
    http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/163_news091014_euro_spec_2010_subaru_out- back_and_legacy_tourer/index.html
  • tee_el_ceetee_el_cee Member Posts: 20
    That's a good looking wagon. It would be an easy choice over the OB for me. I'd love to see a 3.6R Limited version of it here, ideally with a good 6M.

With my luck, I'll finally pull the trigger on a 2010 OB and they'll bring the Legacy wagon over mid-year next year.
    All right, now I'm really p*** off! After being told by the dealer that the Legacy wasn't selling here in Canada, and also being told that the tiny sunroof was for safety reasons (what, did they have a rash of people being crushed by collapsing roofs, or being thrown out of them???) and also being told that the non-folding turn signal clad rear view mirrors were also discontinued here, you have to go and show me this article that shows that in Europe, they DO get the Legacy with the turn signals in the mirrors and lots of extras we don't get at all.
    I'm writing Subaru a letter with that picture in it. I urge those of you who like the Legacy wagon to do the same. Let them know you're not happy with the double standard.
    My legacy wagon comes off lease in December, and I don't want the sedan nor the OB. I may go elsewhere for something else.
    Oh, and another thing that gets my knickers in a twist: in Canada, if you're environmentally conscious at all, you can ONLY get the PZEV on the BASE model OB. So if you support the environment: no options for you.
    Way to go Subaru, alienate your loyal legacy customers! :mad: :mad:
    cdndriver
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Check out the Euro prices. The British prices in dollars are significantly higher and range up to $55K for a 3.6 OB Ltd.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    I'm hoping you can help. I've read where the OB NAV does not include a back up camera (like Tribeca), and then I've read where it does. The dealer doesn't know as they've never had a 2010 nav equipped OB. The backup camera would add some usefulness (and safety) to the NAV system that can't be easily obtained with an add on system. Thanks.
  • xhcxkidxhcxkid Member Posts: 4
    anyone know what they're going for 2.5's with auto transmission
    sorry if this is in the wrong forum
  • udhoopudhoop Member Posts: 5
    $270 US for the fog light kit. It's ridiculous that fog lights don't come standard IMO.
    that burned one must have been from someone who found out they aren't selling the Legacy wagon anymore. ;-)
    cdndriver
    I'm hoping you can help. I've read where the OB NAV does not include a back up camera (like Tribeca), and then I've read where it does. The dealer doesn't know as they've never had a 2010 nav equipped OB. The backup camera would add some usefulness (and safety) to the NAV system that can't be easily obtained with an add on system. Thanks.

Of course it does! It's one of the main reasons I got the nav, and it's worth every penny. A simple look in the Outback sales brochure would have answered that question. Shame on your dealer for not being able to answer a simple, well-documented content question.
    Does it use more than one disc for both the U.S. and Canada? Does it have any text-to-speech capability? Does it have lane assist, as does the Garmin Nuvi portable unit? How up-to-date is the data base?

Please search for some of my recent posts in this thread, I already answered many of these questions and gave some more insight.

The system comes with 3 DVD's. Each DVD has every street in the US and Canada, but the points of interests are divided by region. So if you're driving from PA to CA, you can do it with any disc, but to find a gas station or restaurant along the way, you'll need to insert that region's DVD.

There is no text to speech for regular street names, but it does announce highway numbers. This doesn't bother me as much as I thought since the name of the street to turn on is displayed in large text right at the top of the screen along with a zoomed-in inlaid map of the intersection, including what appears to be a simple lane guidance. All in 2-D though.

Don't know how up to date the database is, but version 2.2 is the latest available from Subaru, IIRC. A new interchange near my house that was just completed a little less than a year ago is not shown.

Spending the extra $2k (+$1k for the moonroof if you didn't want it) is a matter of opportunity cost to each person. For me, it was worth it because I'm getting the backup camera, integrated Bluetooth with visual display, USB, and voice activation all working in integrated harmony. For example, the POI's in the nav have an option to call the listed phone number using the Bluetooth phone. And music mutes when you get a new call, are reversing, and when nav directions are given.

I actually like it better than I thought I would but you can get a great Garmin for $150, so the choice is up to each buyer.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    eps105: I hope to order an new OB this next week. I was not going to get the nav system (have a portable Garmin); but after driving the 10 OB & realizing that my 60 year old neck does not crane as well as it used to I am considering the Nav system. Since you have the this on your OB, I am hoping you can answer a few ignorant questions from on of the uninitiated masses :confuse: :
    Does the backup camera give a good view of the corners?

How is the visability at night with the standard backup lights?

I have never used the bluetooth & am interested in how that works I assume one just turns on their cell phone & pushes the bluetooth icon on the Nav system. Then what do you do when your phone rings?
    IF the radio is on, does it automatically mute?
    How do you end a call?

I have read some posts that suggest that some of the Nav system functions don't work if the car is in motion. What is that all about?

Many thanks! :D
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    Anyone gotten the Side cargo nets and all weather floor mats from Subaru? Are they worth the cost? Thanks
    Does the backup camera give a good view of the corners?

It has a very wide-angle lens that allows you to see about 30 degrees to the sides, but since the lens is recessed next to your license plate, it cannot pick up the very corners of the bumper. That is what your side mirrors are for and a good reminder that the rear camera supplements, not replaces, your other mirrors. That said, the backup camera is super-awesome and my #1 favorite tech feature on the car. It also shows colored lines that perfectly gauges the path and distance of your car from objects behind you. It's awesome for backing up in tight lots. You can tell down to the inch when you're about the bump into the car behind you.

How is the visability at night with the standard backup lights?

Yes, it gains up nicely enough to still be able to see what's behind you.

I have never used the bluetooth & am interested in how that works I assume one just turns on their cell phone & pushes the bluetooth icon on the Nav system. Then what do you do when your phone rings?
    IF the radio is on, does it automatically mute?
    How do you end a call?

Wow, that's a lot of info you're asking for. I'm can't go into all the details here; you're going to have to educate yourself on the basics of Bluetooth, including making sure you have a Bluetooth-capable phone. As far as the integration with the nav, you can pair up to 5 BT phones with the nav system and tell it which phones you want it to AutoConnect to every time you turn on the car (only one phone can be connected at a time). Once set up, it's quite seamless -- you don't even have to take the phone out of your pocket. Even the caller ID shows on the nav screen, and if the number is programmed into the nav's address book, the name will show too.

When your phone rings, you answer it from the steering wheel controls, the nav screen, or your phone. Same to end a call. And yes, all audio mutes while you're on a call.

My only niggle is that audio MUTES, not pauses, so if you're listening to a CD or MP3, it keeps playing at 0 volume, which stinks if you're listening to an audio book, you'll need to rewind after the call or pause manually before you answer the call.

I have read some posts that suggest that some of the Nav system functions don't work if the car is in motion. What is that all about?

Yes, this is common with most integrated navs. You can't manually program many POI's or browse your phone's address book, or jump to different albums from MP3. You also can't play DVD Video while in motion. But you can still dial using the SpeedDial list, program POI's using voice commands, on-screen QuickPOI's, and your favorite 5; and you can jump to previous/next albums in order. In fact, I've found workarounds to just about everything that most of the lockouts don't bother me.

Hope this helps.
    Anyone gotten the Side cargo nets and all weather floor mats from Subaru? Are they worth the cost?

I have all of those and they're worth every penny (and they are actually very reasonably priced as well). Rubber mats are great to keep the car clean -- just wash and hose off with the rest of the car. They blend in perfectly with the dark grey carpeting.

Side nets in the Outback are a little quirky in that 1/2 of their length is pulled snugly along the wheel well, so while you can fit something like a gallon of milk in the net in front of the wheel well, you can only fit thinner items in the back 1/2 of the net.

I also have the rear net, very useful for shopping bags. I had the rear-seat net in my previous Forester, but found it too far of a stretch to use frequently, and they got in the way when I folded down the seats, so I left that disassembled most of the time. Therefore, I didn't order that on my new Outback.
    Thanks for all the very detailed info that you're sharing here, especially regarding the NAVI. It's much appreciated. While still expensive the new NAVI, now that it comes with Bluetooth and a rear camera, is a much better deal than before.

I'd be curious as to how it compares with a Garmin. I think you may have mentioned that before, but maybe not in too much detail? Obviously any portable NAVI units will be significantly cheaper, and the maps may be more up to date, as with the POIs. Can you elaborate a bit more on the portable vs. in-dash Subie NAVI units? It's easy for those of us who have not "lived" with an in-dash unit, to scoff at it, but I believe you also have a portable GPS unit. So your hands-on experience with both would be very helpful. Thanks.

...And good luck with your new Outback 3.6. :)

Bob
    You're welcome!

Oh, and the only luck I need is to not get a speeding ticket. ;)
    I updated my post, while you were responding.

Bob
  • perritoperrito Member Posts: 66
    OK, sounds nice, apart from the larger,flabbier proportions. The GT is just now...a little too big. The other aspect I really miss from Edmunds reviews is the "old" Stereo Review theme -- why did that ever get dropped? A minor point, but man it just bugs me!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    I debated getting the nets and eventually decided against it. I figured they would be in the way more than they were used. The floor mats are pretty good; definitely worth the cost (even at retail) because they are quite inexpensive and are contoured to the vehicle. That said, I have purchased MacNeil WeatherTech FloorLiners for my last two Subaru vehicles. These offer much better protection of the floor area than can be done with a floor-only mat. The front liners are especially well-done; while the rear liner works but tends to move around (at least with a five-year-old using it) a little, thereby allowing rocks, etc., to get between the back of the liner and the front of the carpeted area below the rear seat. The drawback is that the Floorliner costs $160 for front and back; I think the fronts are $100 if purchased separately.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Very, very nice.

So it has trajectory lines, that would have been my next question. I don't think the Tribeca got those, so this system is better than that flagship's. The screen is also an inch bigger, 8" vs. 7". I think the Forester's is 6.5".

Finally Subaru is truly offering some value for the money.
  • wtd44wtd44 Member Posts: 1,208
    I am quite interested in the OB for 2010, and am wondering if the factory equips them for towing. A visit to a really big dealership on a day when they were closed gave me the idea that towing may not be available. :confuse:
    Of course it can. Bob will have the details on the capacities...
    Forgive me for editorializing, but doesn't anybody read the sales brochures or look at the Subaru websites before posting questions on message boards? :sick: There are so many questions on these boards with people asking about availability of options and specs for things that are clearly laid out in the official literature.

(End rant)

Sorry about that... :blush: Anyway, the Outback is rated to tow 1,000 pounds without trailer brakes and 2,700 lb with brakes, with the 4 cyl engine; and 3,000 lbs with trailer brakes with the H6.

I ordered the hitch from the factory, it's a 1.25" hitch. It is nicely integrated into the bumper. If you want 2", you have to go aftermarket.

It's very uncommon for the cars on the lot to be equipped from the factory. My dealer was willing to let me order my Outback without a deposit until I told him I wanted the hitch, then he said I'd have to give him $500 nonrefundable deposit. So not seeing hitches at a big dealer doesn't mean they're no available.
    2700 for H4 and 3000 for H6, if you have trailer brakes. No trailer brakes and it's 1000 across the board; which is a restriction that's typical for most brands, be it car, SUV or truck.

Bob