Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

All-New 2010 Legacy/Outback

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Pretty good review, though I felt like Edmunds was unusually hard on it, for some reason.

The numbers are phenomenal. Acceleration and braking beat not only the old spec.B, but also the MazdaSpeed6. And keep in mind those were both special edition tuner cars, this 2.5GT Limited is not.

Watch the video, then the video of the Speed6. vs previous Legacy GT comes up. Watch both.

The new Legacy has significantly less body roll in the slalom. Braking from 60mph is 13 feet shorter. They say the shifter linkage has improved.

Yet the tone of the article is critical. I don't get it.
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    Thanks Bob for telling me that you updated the post. I never would have seen that otherwise as it was relegated to the previous page.

I'd be curious as to how it compares with a Garmin. I think you may have mentioned that before, but maybe not in too much detail? Obviously any portable NAVI units will be significantly cheaper, and the maps may be more up to date, as with the POIs. Can you elaborate a bit more on the portable vs. in-dash Subie NAVI units? It's easy for those of us who have not "lived" with an in-dash unit, to scoff at it, but I believe you also have a portable GPS unit. So your hands-on experience with both would be very helpful. Thanks.

I have a 3-year old Garmin Nuvi 360. I couldn't possibly put in writing here every difference, and each person has different needs anyway, so I'll try to summarize....

First off, someone coming from a Garmin is going to hate the Outback nav -- at first. The user interface appears to be not as elegant or refined. After playing with it for a while (hours), what I found is that different is not necessarily worse. It's just, well, different. The user interface and menu structure requires a learning curve because it's not copied from Garmin, so Garmin users will at first feel it in unintuitive. Once you learn where everything is, and figure out how to program points of interests and waypoints, and decipher all of the meanings of the different icons on the screen, and learn the quirky way to set up your favorite destinations and select a state to search in, it actually works very, very well.

The Subaru nav excells at quick startup, loud and friendly speech, and a feature called "QuickPOI" that shows common nearby destinations on the screen that you can click on while driving, like gas stations, and get detailed info about them and even call using Bluetooth. It also benefits from the giant screen by having split screen features and a handy zoomed-in inlay for your next turn.

The POI database is extensive, consuming 3 DVD's, so there's more types of POI's than a Garmin. It's more like the yellow pages.

The voice activation capability is also extensive, but the instructions on use are really, really poorly documented in the manual so you just need to play with it to understand. The voice activation lets you do most functions even when driving.

So the only things I liked better with my Garmin are the text-to-speech (not a big loss since the road name is in front of you in the Outback), 3-D view (turns out I'm starting to like the 2-D view better anyway), and of course the portability.

Price remains a factor, but as I've said many times on these boards -- if you can afford the $2000, you'll appreciate the complete integration of audio with the nav, bluetooth, MP3, radio as well as the rear camera, all playing nice through the speakers and using the steering wheel controls. It's still expensive though but with technology trickle-down, I bet we start to see systems like this closer to $1300 in the next few years now that Bluetooth and rear cameras are starting to become standard equipment in many cars.

OK, I've said as much as can. I totally need to get back to my day job! :shades: \

Peace out,

Elliot
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I recently got a Garmin 1490T, with the larger 5" screen. This is my first GPS, so I'm still in the process of learning it. I've said all along that I really appreciate the fully integrated NAVI units, for the very reasons you elaborated on.

The 1490T is pretty good. It does have Bluetooth and free traffic. The Bluetooth is really appreciated—but there's no phonebook, which I find really frustrating, The free traffic is just so-so at best. I could subscribe to an MSN (?) traffic source, but I'm too cheap. ;) It's also got an "Eco Drive" function, which so far seem more like a gimmick than a useful feature. Finally, it's nowhere as elegant as having a built-in GPS, that's fully integrated with the car's functions.

I too just started using the 2-D viewing, and I seem to prefer that over the 3-D screen.

Bob
  • Options
    rkratrkrat Member Posts: 25
    Don't know how many people on this forum test drove the Toyota Venza. I did and I don't know anything about cars and the ride was horrible. The dealer explained to me that it was because of the 20 inch wheels, which are standard on the model I drove. You could feel every bump on the road and the ride was not smooth at all.

It was a shame because it was a nice-looking vehicle, the step-in height was perfect for me and the amenities inside the car were excellent, but all of that was diminished by the awful ride.

I came back to the Outback. Two more weeks until my new car arrives, just in time for the November incentives. Anyone know if Subaru will start offering cash incentives in November on the current model year?
  • Options
    I sat in the Venza, and yes, it was impressive—inside. Unlike you, however, I hate the exterior styling of that car. It comes off as a Dodge Magnum rip-off, with the huge wheels and chopped-look roof. Nope, don't like it one bit.

Bob
  • Options
    curvecurve Member Posts: 20
    I went to a dealer last weekend to check out the interior. We could not go sooner despite researching for months as we needed a baby sitter. Anyhow, my first impression from a "near luxury" Acura driver was that it was fine. The interior is slightly cheaper than my nearly 5 year old car but that is a badge issue. Some of the rubber at the bottom of holders were not properly glued so I can see how users complain of rattle noises down the line if fit & finish is so-so.

The surprise was that ordering navigation system is a 4 month affair. In fact they showed me an order from June that they still were waiting for delivery! In our discussions about lock-out features they were surprised that Acura does/did not.

I'll test drive soon, hopefully.

I have one comment for Elliot's remark: "It's still expensive though but with technology trickle-down, I bet we start to see systems like this closer to $1300 in the next few years."

I'm not sure this will happen...soon. In 2005 the Navi on the TSX was $2k vs. paying $800 for an after-market. I thought it was worth it for the looks, size and interface. In hindsight not worring about getting broken into for the portable ones was an added bonus. For 2009, the price for Navi is the same (Acura) but a good portable is down to $200-400. After 4-5 years auto manufacturers have not bothered to reduce prices. I'm sure it's high margin.

Thanks.
  • Options
    curvecurve Member Posts: 20
    Most of you might remember when the first Bush lost the re-election mostly beacuse the tag line "it's the economy, stupid!" was so true.

Anyhow, to answer so many questions/remarks about reduced features and cheaper finish on this and many other blogs, the answer (mostly anyhow) is the falling US$ as a currency vs. other mayor countries. The Japanese yen appreciated 30% since late 2001. This means J auto makers make little money from selling cars to americans due to our horrible currency. The euro is up over 65%.

Competition is tough and raising prices much is not an option, thus the cost cutting moves (eg. non folding side mirrors)

Anyways, not trying to insult anybody with the headline but sometimes the obvious escapes us, especially U.S. centric mentality
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    The bigger the wheel, the more jarring the ride (all other things being equal). I noticed a dramatic improvement in the ride quality between the stock 17" wheels and the 16" wheels (stock from a 2007 Forester) I put on my Forester recently. Granted, some difference could be the tires, too, as they are different brands, etc., but that extra 1/2" of rubber between the rim and the ground absorbs a lot of vibration.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I think almost every new car I test drove was nice - compared to my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan mommy-mobile that on a good day gets 15MPG around town, 18MPG highway with no acceleration to speak of. ( I am from NYC, my husband taught me how to drive when we were still young and he was a NY cabbie and I have a lead foot.) We were also stationed in Germany for four years so we got used to the autobahn speeds - or lack thereof.

I am hoping that with my new Outback and the MPG gauge right in front of me, I will learn how to be a better, calmer driver - except for the people in the DC area who don't know how to drive - except drive me crazy by going the speed limit in the left lane!

Some of the Outback consumer reviews complained about having the MPG gauge instead of a temperature gauge, but I think I will find it helpful. I am looking forward to computing my MPG after my first fill-up.
  • Options
    I didn't know any of that stuff when I was test driving. I just thought all new cars would have a smooth, quiet ride with all the improvements and technology since 1998 when my van was still new. Actually, my beat-up old van had a better ride than the Venza.
  • Options
    Elliot, couldn't agree with you more about reading and researching before posting.

CARS101.com (I found it by accident by typing Subaru Research) was the site I relied on most for my research, specs, options and comparisons to similar vehicles before deciding on the 2010 Outback Limited.
  • Options
    First of all, though I like Subarus a lot, That said, the Venza is one of the best looking station wagon-type cars I have ever seen. Secondly, if you tested it with 20" wheels, you did not test it. Try 16" or 17" or even 18", but never never go bigger, unless your priorities are looks first. I think 16" wheels do a good job for most people (and ride much more smoothly than bigger ones), and I remember easily when 15" wheels were the big ones. Looks have usurped both utility and handling, You did not give the Venza a chance, And neither did the salesperson by not offering you a drive in another wheel size.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    The Venza only comes with either 19" or 20" wheels as standard equipment. A dealer would have to go outside the Toyota standard equipment, option, and accessory marketing plan to use anything smaller. The dealer did exactly as Toyota intended which is sell the vehicle with one of the two standard wheel sizes. It appears Toyota did not give the Venza a chance at reasonable wheel size and customer ride comfort. Blame Toyota not the dealer using the Toyota marketing plan or the customer who came for a test drive.
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    The problem is Toyota, not the dealer. 19" and 20" wheels are TOO BIG for the car. Toyota is simply catering to the current big wheel fad to hawk its wares.

Subaru, OTOH, is intelligently utilizing 17" wheels on its Outback. They are acceptably large cosmetically and much more functional.
  • Options
    Let's cut people some slack here.

Subaru has 3 different engines (2.5i, 2.5T, and 3.6R) and 3 different transmissions (CVT, 5EAT, 6spd MT) and at least 3 different models (i, Premium, Limited) of each of those in 2 different body styles (sedan, crossover).

You need a PhD to keep it all straight, and that's just Legacy/Outback.

In Europe? It gets even more complicated. Add more engines to deal with (diesel) and one extra body style (wagon).

Toss in Forester, which many people compare, and you add 2 more transmissions (4EAT, 5 spd MT) and a different turbo engine (224hp) and a PZEV option on the non turbo (with differnet power ratings) and by the way they don't come in all combinations, only some.

It's tough to keep it all straight, so I can't blame people for coming for help, we should welcome them and try to help. :shades:

Toyota's Venza? You have one choice to make: 4 banger or V6. Period.
  • Options
    Inquiring minds want to know......

With that said, there is enough research material available on the internet to answer some, not all, of the questions posted. I guess you just have to know where to look. Sometimes it does take precious time and patience to find what you are looking for.

The CARS101 website was extremely helpful to me while I was researching the Outback. It was very clear in explaining what was new for the 2010 models, what options were available, and how they were packaged. There are loads of pictures so you can see what the different options look like before you decide to buy.

I am not sure that every car manufacturer has such a dedicated salesman as Subaru has in Joe Spitz for developing and maintaining that website. It was truly invaluable to me in making my decision.
  • Options
    I appreciate the car101 web site also, but it was someone here who pointed it out to me. I'm not sure I would have stumbled across it on my own.

Also, the on-line tools don't always make it simple to see what equipment each model adds. It will just list a huge, long list of equipment and features.

For instance, what does the Limited package add?

It's easy to list all of the features, sure, but what if someone wants to know just what it adds over the 2.5i model, to see if they think it's worth the difference?

Not to mention it changes year by year. It used to include a moonroof, but not any more. The Premium package always had the all-weather gear included, but that's not always the case any more either.

It's just a complex task to keep track of it all.

Changing gears...

In the Miata community, something funny happened. Mazda used to have a base model, then Touring, then Sport, then Grand Touring. They flip-flopped. Now the Touring model is better equipped than the Sport. It's confusing like crazy to someone shopping for used cars. An 06 Sport = 07 Touring, 06 Touring = 07 Sport.

Try keeping that one straight. :D

No cars101 for Mazda, either.
  • Options
    To answer that seemingly simple question, I started here:

http://cars101.com/

then went here

http://www.cars101.com/outback.html

then here

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2009photos.html

then here

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/outback/outback2009.html

and found it:

everything the 2.5i SE has, plus...
    new Dark privacy tinted glass (2.5i and SE have standard tint)
    new Power Passenger seat, 4 way
    new Passenger seat lumbar support
    new 2.5i Limited alloy wheels now the same 'turbo design' that has been on the 08 XT and 3.0R LL Bean models
    new Audio controls on steering wheel (also has cruise controls)

Automatic Sportshift 4spd transmission (no manual available)
    Leather interior, 3 spoke leather wrapped steering wheel, parking brake, shift knob

Woodgrain shift knob
    Woodgrain patterned interior trim
    Windshield dark shade band across top of windshield
    Climate control, dual zone front, 6speed fan, auto and manual functions
    Body colored door handles
    Body colored outside mirrors
    Rear seat center fold down armrest
    17" 'turbo design' alloy wheels that have been on the XTs
    Steering wheel, leather wrapped, with Audio Control and Cruise Controls
    Dual pane power glass sunroof with auto open/close (deletes sunglass holder)

Stereo: AM/FM/ 6 disc CD changer. Plays MP3, R/RW discs. Auxilliary input in center console. Pre-wired for XM or Sirius satellite radio. Panasonic.
    new Harman Kardon audio system, 440-watt, 9-speaker, 8 channel amp/equalizer, subwoofer under front passenger seat, subtle speed sensitive volume control.

Optional Navigation System (model code 9DH), Kenwood 7" touch screen, GPS
    Disc updates only available from store.kenwoodusa.com

It's a similar number of steps for the 2010, and then I'd have to compare. So more than double that much work.

Ask here and someone will say "pretty much the same except the moonroof is a la carte". You'll get an answer in seconds.
  • Options
    Ask here and someone will say "pretty much the same except the moonroof is a la carte". You'll get an answer in seconds.

I guess - only if someone happens to be on-line at the same time you are asking/posting your question.

Maybe it's just the way my mind works. I would still want to do the research myself to confirm any information I am given. Probably my suspicious NY nature. :-)
  • Options
    I think a smart shopper will use both.

First you do some general research on the models you like, and create a short list.

Once you have a short list, though, there's nothing like asking an expert on that particular brand/car for advice. They're the ones that can help you identify which model may be the best value, or one that may fit yours needs best. They can also tell you what to look out for.

For instance, I know plenty about Subarus, but I was new to Toyota when I went minivan shopping. The pros warned me about the run-flat tires, especially the cost of replacement after their short lifespan. You couldn't read that on any specs list.

So even if I thought I knew what model I wanted, I'd still ask in the Sienna threads for expert opinions.

Any how, cars101 is extremely useful and should not be ignored.
  • Options
    Okay, here is my ignorance about cars. What is a "run-flat" tire? Do you mean that the tires Toyota uses tend to run flat quicker than other tire brands?

Yeah, I know, it would serve me right if you told me to go look it up on the internet. :-)
  • Options
    Boy, do I feel stupid for not having looked it up before I posted my question.

Run-flat tire
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    A run-flat tire is a pneumatic vehicle tire that is designed to resist the effects of deflation when punctured, and to enable the vehicle to continue to be driven at reduced speeds (up to 90 km/h or 55 mph),[1] and for limited distances of up to 100 miles (160.9 km),[2][1] or even 200 miles (321.8 km) depending on the type of tire.[3] First patented in 1892,[2] run-flat tires were re-developed in 1978 and offered as an option in the 1990s mainly for two-seat sports cars with little room for spare tires and jacks. They have grown in popularity for other vehicles, such as high-end luxury cars,[1] because of their safety and convenience,[4] costing double the price of sports tires.[1][3]
  • Options
    After what I just said, I have to give you a pass, too. :D

Basically it's a tire with a reinforced sidewall, that can run without any air pressure, usually at limited speed and distance. But donuts also limit speed and distance.

The idea is you could limp home and make it.

Advantages? You don't need to pull over in that narrow shoulder and change a tire and risk your life. It also eliminates the need for an on-board spare tire, leaving more room for cargo space. You save on the cost and weight of the actual spare tire, as well.

Disadvantages? They tend to ride harshly. That same rigid sidewall can mean a hard ride. They tend to weigh more, and it's unsprung weight, too, where you want it least. They cost more, a lot more, and they tend not to last as long. Finally, only certain shops are equipped to change them, and may not even carry them at all, if you slash a sidewall and need one exchanged - you could be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

On the Sienna, they're $800 a set and last 20k miles, if that. I can replace my tires at half that cost and they last twice as long, cutting my tire budget by 75%.

Honda offers them on the Ody and it's the same problem - plus they come in 17.5" rim sizes so that really limits replacement tire selection.

I think they're a good idea, but I certainly hope Subaru waits until they iron out the kinks, and get costs down, before they start offering them.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem to me that the advantages outweigh the price and extremely short life-span. Are these tires standard on the Sienna and Odyssey when you first purchase the vehicle?

I would pull over and let my husband change the tire. :-)

If he's not with me, that's what USAA road-side assistance is for. If I can afford it, I always pay a professional.
  • Options
    Are these tires standard on the Sienna and Odyssey when you first purchase the vehicle?

On top-of-the-line models only, I believe.

Bob
  • Options
    surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for the info on the OB Nav system, that it indeed includes backup camera.

The saleswoman looked it up on the factory brochure and some other special dealer info package they had and all she could find was that it was voice activated with blue-tooth and I-pod control, but oddly it didn't mention the back up camera capability as it did on the Tribeca brochure. I'm probably going to go for NAV but it will be a special order. There are none available in the mid Atlantic.

The cars101.com site did mention that nav had backup camera.

http://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/brochures/2010_outback.pdf
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    It is one thing to know the makers stated tow rating. It may be another to know how does the vehicle actually handle the towing chore. I have been seeking an answer to the 2nd question for a month. Finally found an answer at subaruoutback.org:
    "We have a 2010 OB with the 2I.5 engine and CVT . We recently towed our pop-up camping trailer (GVW 2,600 lb) about 600 miles round-trip over some winding coastal mountain roads. Electric trailer brakes certainly provide a measure of confidence. The rig climbed well. I suspect that Subaru, like every other company, tries to manage their liability by posting conservative limits on something covered by their warranty."

I love the Edmunds Subaru forums - home of lots of helpful folks & information. However information freaks such as myself often check multiple forums. In addition to Edmunds subaruoutback.org is very helpful, especially lots of good discussions on the 2010 Outback
  • Options
    ingvaringvar Member Posts: 205
    Doesn't seem to me that the advantages outweigh the price and extremely short life-span.
    Amen. These tires good for European cities with short distances but PITA for US.
  • Options
    tee_el_ceetee_el_cee Member Posts: 20
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=159166?tid=edmun- - ds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

This is the best shift linkage ever from a Subaru, so our in-house Subie expert tells us, with more positive action and smoother engagement, and yet you still need help from the GPS to find the shift gates when you're going quickly.
    And shifts were so smoothly executed, unlike in past Subies I've piloted, I forgot what car I was driving.
    Shifter feels far better (with more positive action and smoother gate engagement) than any previous Subaru.

So they were generally happy with the 6MT? I thought most opinions of it weren't good.
  • Options
    I drove anew 2.5 GT a few months ago, and I found the 6-speed linkage to be fine.

Bob
  • Options
    sweetsoulsweetsoul Member Posts: 35
    I just ordered my new OB Limited and noticed that Subaru does not list many phones as being compatible with the harman kardon audio - which is what I am getting.

Have any of you used the bluetooth? Have you had any issues? Did it pair fine with your phones? Is it as easy as using a headset? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Was hoping to get a Palm Pre, but now I am not sure if it will work. Still can't wait til my new car comes in! :)
  • Options
    crb667crb667 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a Legacy Limited and was able to pair the H/K radio with a Palm Pre. I wasn't familiar with the process, but the dealer sat down and went throught voice commands to pair the device.
  • Options
    Correct, Bob, with one exception - all AWD Siennas have run-flats.

That's the main reason I got a FWD model. We still have a Subaru for snow days and my wife works at home, so I'm the only one that really needs to go out.
  • Options
    miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    If you look at the latest information on the JD Power website, the 2010 Legacy barely manages to stay at "average" across all the quality rankings. Which is truly not my perception of Subaru.

And if you look at the Nissan Altima which seems to be a disaster in terms of owner feedback, it scores well above average and almost twice as high as the Legacy.

What gives? Is the 2010 Legacy a a problem free or a problem prone vehicle?
  • Options
    sweetsoulsweetsoul Member Posts: 35
    Thanks crb667 that is awesome news! Was wondering since you were able to pair it with the Pre...Can you do voice dialing with the bluetooth system in your Legacy? I know the Pre does not have voice dialing, but wasn't sure how that works through the vehicle's bluetooth? Thanks Again!
  • Options
    Historically Subaru has not scored well on the JD Powers IQ study, which only looks at the first 90 days of ownership, but they do better in the 5 year Durability study by JDP, and in CR, and even with TrueDelta.

Join TrueDelta if you get the chance, they're very innovative and are coming out with new ratings methods soon. I cannot discuss due to a confidentiality agreement, but Subaru ratings there have been very promising.
  • Options
    cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    Interesting about the JD Power.
    What is "True Delta"?
    I've had two Legacy wagons and found both of them to have been really good in the short term, and over the three years I've had each of them (03, and 07). The only thing I've found is that at around 60000km, I've had to redo the front brakes. I drive a lot in a big city, but still the brakes are not a strong point, and really expensive to fix. Otherwise I've been very pleased with the cars.
    I doubt I'll get another one though since they've dropped the Legacy wagon. I don't want the sedan, and certainly don't want the OB. I also think they've cheapen the cars with the kleenex box sized sunroofs, hi/lo seat heaters instead of the dial, no turn signals or folding mirrors and such. I might go for a Forrester, but I don't think it's as solid as the Legacy was. So I'm looking at the competition seriously.
    Subaru hasn't left me mucy choice :mad: :cry:
    cdndriver
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Anyone shopped the new Outback 3.6R against the six cylinder Toyota RAV4?

How does the RAV4's AWD system compare to that of the Outback?
  • Options
    True Delta is a new site that measures reliability on an ongoing basis with members who belong to sites like this. He remains in touch with members quarterly and sends reminders and constantly collects and updates the data. Using that strategy produces results much sooner than CR's or JDP's surveys, which are annual and rely on lots of snail mail and long surveys.

I can't wait for the new scoring system to go public - I think it will be very well received when it does.
  • Options
    I don't think that's an area of strength for Toyota. Here's one article:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yp1PkXizeQ

I own a Sienna and it was the run-flat tires that made me shy away from AWD, but it's not thought of as a particularly strong system.
  • Options
    tdivertdiver Member Posts: 18
    I like the looks of the new Outback but what's up with that roof rack? It looks like a cheap piece of crap. Why could'nt they have designed it more like the one on my 04 FXT? I don't use or need a roof rack so the first thing I did was pull the crossbars off and no harm no foul on the looks of the vehicle. I see that in the Japan models you don't have to get them. I know there are those that use them (Kayak's etc..) but I would really like to know the percentage of people that really use them. I think they should be maybe a no cost option or a no cost delete. Am I alone out here with this? What do you'll think?
  • Options
    The roof rack opens to a fairly narrow cross bar, close together, I mean. Though some people say it shows holding a kayak, actual users sound more skeptical.
    I wonder how much stability there would be to a bike rack with a couple of bikes up there.
    The idea is clever to have one that folds away, and I'm sure it's their way of discouraging people from buying after market racks, which is what I bet most people do. But it's a clumsy large bulky fixture up there, not sleek like the past ones have been.
    I don't know if they hired new engineers there or what, but it just seems to me like they've cheapened so many things on this car. I'm disappointed, and checking out other makers more closely for my lease renewal in two months.
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I'm disappointed, and checking out other makers more closely for my lease renewal in two months.

Be sure to also inspect the Forester: Sleeker roof rails, same passenger space, shorter to park and folding side mirrors. Only chintzy items seem to be mouse fur headliner and thin carpet. The 4-speed versus CVT auto trans is a personal call; I drove the CVT Outback and the 4-speed Forester and preferred the Forester. The prices are not very different unless you would choose a stripper version of the Forester which could be a transportation bargain.
  • Options
    Sorry for the wrong link in my previous post, here is the one I meant to share:

http://www.automotive-business-review.com/news/display.aspx?alias=toyota_goodyea- r_sued_over_runflat_tires&
  • Options
    tee_el_ceetee_el_cee Member Posts: 20
    As someone who rarely uses a rack, I initially thought it was really clever. Only when I started reading the gripes and, coincidentally, started shopping for a cargo box for my WRX wagon, did I realize all the shortcomings.

I doubt it's "their way of discouraging people from buying after market racks". I'm not even sure it's cheaper than previous racks or other options. I think someone just thought it was really cool and didn't check it with real rack users.
  • Options
    I use the rack on my Legacy wagon with an aftermarket rail system. The idea has merit, but like you say, they probably didn't check with real rack users. which seems to be what they've done with alot of the design changes.

I will check out the Forester. that may be where I end up if I stick with Subaru. I don't think I'll go with the OB. I'll keep writing them and tell them to bring the Legacy wagon back. :P
    Going to another maker has its own set of problems: getting to know those cars, what their pros and cons are...and I don't have that long.
    My wife loves the Saab style, but I don't even know how long they'll be around, not to mention the service costs.
    :surprise:
  • Options
    tdivertdiver Member Posts: 18
    Now that's the way Subaru should have done the roof rails in the first place. Great looking and I would think well work much better for those that use them.
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I'd consider myself a pretty regular user of the roof racks on all of my cars over the years -- my garage looks like a Yakima warehouse sometimes. Anyways, carrying bikes, tandem kayaks, cargo boxes, etc. has always been priority with my car purchases, and from the looks of it, the 2010 Outback rack is just pathetic. Not only is there WAY too much plastic up there, the [non-adjustable] crossbar spread of less than 2 feet is just silly for carrying anything bigger than a couple of bikes.

My 2001 Outback and 2004 WRX wagon both had simple, elegant side rails with easily removed crossbars that your could configure any way needed to handle the load. The best part was how easily you simply unbolted the bars with all the accessories in place and stored it, leaving a clean, uncluttered roof. That's just not possible with the 2010 Outback design, and it just looks SO bulky and plasticy too boot.

The aftermarket solution (link above) certainly looks like it SHOULD have come from the factory, but at an additional $1000 it's a pretty steep modification. I'm a huge fan of Subarus, but this latest design is a big FAIL in my opinion.

Brian
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Thanks for the link! That was a great read.

I fully agree with you Brian. That new rack was change for the sake of change rather than improvement.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250