Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Sometimes Edmunds changes their policy in mid-stream. Last year everyone was excited about the new 03 4Runner. Their was a bet made seeing who could get a picture of the first 03 4Runner, even the moderator was in on this. But, when an individual posted some pictures that he took of the 4Runner, Toyota freaked out and then Edmunds freaked out. The pictures were banned, but the ban was not based on policy. The pictures were not the property of Toyota or Edmunds and yet they were banned. Conversely, other 4Runner sites had no problem with the pictures, they even congratulated the owner of the pictures. The pictures even started showing up on Toyota Dealer sites, but Edmunds banned the pictures.

My take on Edmunds is that it is a great place to start looking for a new car. Lots of good tips from people in the Forum. I used this Forum to buy my 4Runner. If you want to talk about a good/bad dealer or company search elsewhere, but if you are looking for a new car this is the place ot be.
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    Hi Everyone,

I have been off the boards for a while. Has anyone either made the switch or have information on upgrading the earlier 5000 pound hitch to the newer 7500 pound one?

I have a 2003 Limited V-8.

Thanks,
    Morry
  • coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    I know there have been a lot of questions about the two suspensions, with very little information to be found in the forum. So, for what it's worth, here is my two cents.

I test drove two Limited 4X2s - one with X-REAS, one without. I spent about 20 minutes driving each truck, over smooth and rough pavement, twisty and straight roads, speed bumps, you name it. IMO, the X-REAS suspension is far more to my liking.

The standard suspension is nice, much better than any previous 4Runner. It gives a comfortable ride, pretty smooth, but...somewhat jiggly and a little bouncy. There is noticeable body lean in the turns, and there is definitely more than enough bobbing motions over small road imperfections, dips and bumps.

The X-REAS suspension definitely provides tighter handling and flatter cornering. Less body lean, less bobbing motions. In fact, in some hard cornering during the test drive, the truck hardly felt like it was leaning at all...not nimble like the G35 I currently have, but much much less than the standard suspension. Now normally, the tradeoff for the improved handling is a harsher and less comfortable ride. I did not find that to be the case at all here. The ride was just as comfortable minus the annoying pitch and roll. To me, there is absolutely no disadvantage I could detect with the X-REAS.

My guess is that if you are going to be doing a lot of off-roading, stick with the standard suspension, as it gives much greater articulation. If most of your driving will be on pavement, I would highly recommend the X-REAS.

Hope that is informative to most.
  • 4runtexas4runtexas Member Posts: 31
    hello all!

it's been a while since i've posted!!!

first for my update on the service of my SR5.
    no more clicking, ticking, screeching, squeeling or anything in my V6, absolutely perfect!

as for my headliner, after another recent visit to the dealer, they finally fixed it for good!

for the first actual time, my 4runner is in the condition it is supposed to be, perfect.

speaker sizes:
    does anyone at all know the speaker sizes for the 2003 4runner for the front and rear doors (i have the stock radio, no jbl)
    i THINK they may be 6 1/2"s or something of that nature, but i really need some help in finding thse exact numbers.

i searched the manual and found nothing, any help is great!

also thinking of adding a flowmaster dual exhaust, any thoughts?
  • jagsdadjagsdad Member Posts: 56
    Hey all: I got the call (voice mail message) today from my dealer, South Bay. My special order is in their inventory (on a computer). They said it has been built and is at the port, but did not mention if the port is in Japan or the US. I'll find out tomorrow. Please Please Please almighty 4Runner be here soon.....
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Speaker sizes for most vehicles are listed in the Crutchfield catalog or their website.
  • saarkazmsaarkazm Member Posts: 11
    Hi 4runtexas,
    I had the exact same problem as you when I was looking to upgrade my stock speakers. Don’t even bother with Crutchfield because they haven’t measured anything for the ‘03s, yet. I have the non-JBL audio setup in my ’03 Sports. The fronts are 6x9 and rear are 6½. I was surprised when I took out the fronts and found they’re 6x9’s, so I had to put a bracket when I installed the replacements. I installed the Infinity Kappa 60.5cs 6 ½" components up front and Kappa 63.5i 6 ½" 3-way in the rear. Great sounding speakers at a pretty reasonable price. Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    Generally I think that refers to the US port the vehicles arrive at. Probably a couple of weeks to get it from there to the dealership.
  • ltc9024ltc9024 Member Posts: 11
    I have posted this question on another Board but sure want opinions and idea from people here.
    I have a 03 Limited V8 with the 17" Dunlops. I am coming up to my first winter. Here in southwestern Ontario Canada we do not have much deep snow but can have a lot of slush and ice mixed in with considerable bare pavement in the winter. I do mainly highway and back road driving.
    Can anyone tell me how their Dunlops are in snow/ice/slush?
    I am looking at getting an "ice radial" and am considering Bridgestone Dueler DMZ-2(3) for the winter time(3-4 months here)of the same size P265-65 R17.
    Comments and any other suggestions? Maybe I do not need to get any tires as I am looking at over $1000(Can $) approx $700(US$) just for the tires!!!!!!!!
    Any suggestions or ideas from other members would be appreciated especially from any fellow Ontarions!!!!!!!

• nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Why do you say that XREAS will reduce articulation? That isn't clear to me.

I do agree that if you plan major off-roading, then you don't want XREAS. That's simply because if you want to do major off-roading, you'll want to lift the truck, and if you lift the truck, then you'll have to replace the shocks, so your expensive investment in XREAS will be thrown in the trash...
  • rkymtnhghrkymtnhgh Member Posts: 14
    Saarkazm,

When you replaced the speakers, did you add an amp and/or replace the stock headunit? I'd like to upgrade the speakers and leave everything else alone, but don't know whether the stock headunit has enough RMS power to drive a set of components for clean sound. Also, the stock rear speakers sound really muddy and muted when isolated with the fader.... when you changed them, did it make much of a difference? How is the overall sound of your setup? Any distortion? Do you like questions? :) Thanks
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    Downey suppossedly has a 1" and 2.5" lift that is XREAS compatible.
    The only reason XREAS is not working with lifts is because the 03 and 04 4 runner is all-new so off-road companies have to develop all-new parts and that takes time.

XREAS doesn't hurt off road articulation as far as I can tell, I don't know why it would anyway.
    Rkymtnhgh,

Yes, I did add an amp (5 channel) because I wanted it to power all my speakers + sub. I opted for only one amp due of lack of space. Unfortunately, I don’t know how much RMS you can get to your speakers from the factory HU. You’re right about the rear speakers, that’s why I upgraded it. I originally only planned to upgrade the front speakers and remove the rear completely, but wanted to install a video/gaming system in the truck….which I finally did over the weekend. The sound quality is great, but then again…this is the first audio/video system I’ve ever installed in my ride. Hope this answer some of your questions.
  • john_dodejohn_dode Member Posts: 15
    Just a couple quick questions -

1 where'd you put your amp?
    1.5 low level or high level inputs?
    2 what HU did you put it your 4r?
    3 any aux inputs on the stock HU?

And if anybody has taken apart their JBL option HU or speakers, any info on inputs or driver materials would be appreciated

thanks
    JD
    Vodgut was right. My dealer confirmed my build order is in the Los Angeles port. They wont say how long it will take to make the 10 mile trip to the dealer.

Brian
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Just think how much it would cost you to fix a wrecked 4Runner, and then a grand for quality ice-rated tires would seem like a great bargain
  • klaudnycklaudnyc Member Posts: 36
    Will it fit under the rear seats?
    JD,

1. I had a buddy of mine create an in enclosure in the back, not the box for the sub, but where the box sub is in. Flash mounted the amp on top of that. Kinda hard to explain, but I do have pix if you’re interested in seeing them.

1.5. Yup

2. Alpine CDA-9815

3. No, but I did buy an Alpine KCA-410C, which gave me 2 auxiliary inputs. :)
    > Will it fit under the rear seats?

It sure can, if you buy one small enough…but there’s a vent under each seat. Haven’t really checked what each vent is for. Anybody with info?
  • aroutharouth Member Posts: 45
    Hello,

I'm the guy that was asking about side curtain airbags on a sport model a few days ago. Thanks for the information. It doesn't seem that they are building them like that, so i'm probably going to have to special order.

HOWEVER.....I did see a link to a website on this forum which seemed to be a version of buyatoyota.com

http://setbuyatoyota.com/home.asp?dealer_code=09154

This site was for the Southeast and allowed me to build my own 4runner and then search the region for what I wanted. I found a 4runner with everything EXCEPT the damned airbags. lol

My question is...are there other sites out there for different regions. If there are it would be extremely helpful to me b.c. if I do find one with the airbags I won't have to special order it and risk loosing the rebates offered at the time.

If anyone has the links to ALL the other regions in the county it would be great. However, if you don't then the Regions containing Mississippi and Nebraska would work too b/c I live in NE and my family lives in MS.

Thanks again
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My guess is the "set" in that url stands for Southeast Toyota, and it'll likely only give you inventory in that distributor's states. Gulf States is another Toyota distributor, but I think the rest of the US distribution is by Toyota Motor Sales.

I think the upshot is that you're going to have to try searching by zip on the main Toyota site or use a quote service like the one here on Edmunds.

Steve, Host
  • kscotttkscottt Member Posts: 18
    would love to see pictures.
  • whitney8whitney8 Member Posts: 31
    I put BFG "All Terrains" on my Toyota 4x4 Xtracab, (which was traded in on my '03 V8 Sport). I was very happy with them, I live in the NW, and at the time I was driving up to the ski areas every wknd (snowboard instructor). The tires performed flawlessly in the rain, slush and snow. They are aggressive yet still quite on the road.

I plan to pick up a set of P265/70R17s on the 4R before this winter. I am thinking of putting them on a set of 17" steel rims, in black, just for the winter. This will keep those cool 17", 5 spoke, SPORT rims in good shape for the summer months. :-) Quote from COSTCO was under $800, not including rims.
  • azrunnerazrunner Member Posts: 16
    Whitney,
    Have you found black rims that fit? Word of warning, we ordered black rims for our '01 Tundra and had a problem with the front wheels. Back wheels went on beautifully, but front wheels hit the brake somehow. I am curious whether or not the Runner will have the same issue.

By the way - I have a Sport with side curtain airbags, X-REYS, moonroof, etc. ,etc.
    azrunner,
    No I have not located rims yet. Your tip makes sense.. those are good sized rotors and callipers.. Thanks for the heads up.
  • willie24willie24 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 forerunner . The transmission had to be rebuilt after only 84 thousand miles. Has anyone else had a similar experience ?
    Sure thing, I can take some new ones this weekend because I just installed a dvd player/tv tunner.
  • suvnewbesuvnewbe Member Posts: 1
    jagsdad ... was just wondering how long it took from the day you asked your dealer to place the special order to where you are today with the car in the LA port.

Looking to do the exact same thing with SR5 V8 with the side air bags and am getting run around ranging from ... 'Toyota does not build to order .. you just get lucky if one rolls out like you want' .. to those dealers who claim they do it all time but can not confirm when i would actually have paperwork to confirm Toyota is going to build my car and just want me to plunk down a deposit for a handshake.

Be real interested in how the special order process worked for you .. or anyone else who went through the same that reads this post.

Thanks a bunch
  • jayexjayex Member Posts: 1
    I am extremely disappointed in the new 2004 Sport 4Runner I just traded my 2002 Highlander for. In the Highlander, to utilize all of the rear cargo area, all you have to do is lower the backrests of the rear seats and you have a great cargo area with room between the front seats and the rear seats folded down. In the 4Runner I have to move the front seats forward so that I have room to fold the rear seats up and then lower the the rear backrests. I then have no room to move the front seats back again. I am 6'1" tall and this makes for a very unsatisfactory ride. Why didn't they use better forethought in this design? You have to unbolt the rear seats from the floor to remove them to make enough room for the front seats to slide back. In the Jeep Grand Cherokee you can at least easily remove the rear seats to fold the rear seatbacks down. Has anyone else experienced this design deficiency? I regularly use the rear cargo area and would have never bought the vehicle if I had known of this problem.
    I'm 5' 9". I have no problem at all folding the rear seats and do not have to move the front seats to do so.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    I am 5'10" and have no problem with folding down the rear seats without adjusting the front seat.

Also, you can remove the rear headrests. You might then be able to fold down the rear seats without adjusting the front seats. This is hardly a "design deficiency."
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Did you test drive or explore the virtues of the vehicle before purchasing? If that factor is the single most important item to you on the new Runner, I would have made that my first item to check out. My arm is only 32" long, I can't quite reach the volume control knob, what a deficient design! :)
  • akgakg Member Posts: 85
    I know, I know, if I look back in this forum my questions will be answered....but I just don't have the time. What is different in the 2004 model? Did they get rid of the plastic fender covers? Anything new? New colors?

Also, what kind of gas mileage are folks getting for a V6 4x4? Thanks!

PS. Still love my 2001, just thinking ahead.
    Basically there are a few new options available:

* Camera back up system (part of the NAVIGATION system)
    * Tire pressure monitoring system
    * Third row seating (for Limited models)

Mileage is unchanged. The v6 gets 17/20 while the v8 gets 16/19.

There are no new colors available.
    The gray fender flares were phased out in favor of body-color flares as a running change in the 2003 model year.
  • rosietimmorosietimmo Member Posts: 4
    The headrests in the rear seat block my rearview
    when backing up, and I wanted to know if there was a source for smaller/shorter headrests.
    Thanks
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Among those of you owning 4Runners with the DVD/navigation system, have you noticed that the plastic bezel framing the DVD/Nav module tends to "buzz" in response to road vibrations, particularly when the outside temp is quite warm? Mine does this, and I find I can stop this annoying buzzing by gently pressing on the top edge of this plastic bezel while driving, thus forcing the bezel into direct contact with the DVD/Nav module. Of course, there is a small gap between the bezel and the DVD/nav module, and it seems that when the outside temp is high, the bezel is probably expanded more due to radiant heating, and this introduces more slop in the fit, leading to the buzzing in response to road vibrations. (This past week in Ohio, it was pretty chilly and daytime temps were in the low-mid 50s until the past two days, when it warmed up into the 70s and 80s. Well, darned if the bezel's buzzing sound didn't return until it got really warm again!) Thus, I don't have this noise when the outside temp is quite cool, and at those times it seems independent of the temperature of the cabin as well. Am I making any sense here?

If I press the "open" button and then inspect the DVD/nav module from its "horizontal" position, I can see a 2mm gap between the bezel and the nav. module, and this is of course where the problem seems to rest. The manufacturer of the DVD/nav. unit should have placed a soft "gasket" or perhaps a rubbery type of caulking here to prevent this sort of noise and buzzing. Will discuss this with my dealer in the near future, but wanted to know if anyone else is noticing this minor but nonetheless annoying noise.

And speaking of minor annoyances, I would like to know if anyone else is a bit bothered by the fact that the 4Runner has license plate mounting screws for only the top half of license plates? Because of this, license plates thus mounted are, of course, free to buzz, vibrate, resonate, and DAMAGE the underlying finish as they freely strike the underlying finish, since the *bottom half* of the license plates are not able to be securely bolted to the vehicle! I saw (and heard!) this silly design flaw when I first purchased my truck, and solved it by first sandwiching each license plate between clear acrylic license plate covers. Next, I placed 1/2" square, clear vinyl (self adhesive) "bumpers" within and without the bottom aspect this license plate sandwich (you know, where there are no license plate mounting screws...) in order to prevent the inadequately secured license plates from acting as vibrating metal reeds capable of not only making lots of noise, but far more worrisome, also quite capable of quickly damaging the underlying paint finish. It seems to me that unless you institute this sort of fix (especially for the rear license plate) the result will be that the flapping of the rear license plate against the underlying finish will quickly gouge said finish down to the bare metal. In fact, you may recall that the new 4Runner has a rear tailgate that features a self-locking mechanism. We are not supposed to ever slam the tailgate shut, since this could eventually damage the expensive electronic, self-locking mechanism. Rather, one should gently return the tailgate or rear hatch to its nearly closed position, and then allow the electronic self-locking mechanism to finish the closure. But if you forget this step (easy to do) and slam the rear hatch closed, the license plate (which is only bolted-on along its top margin, right?) will, by the resulting force, strike against the underlying finish, and will do damage. This is another reason why I feel the vinyl bumpers are a very good idea. Am I making sense here? Of course, one could tap a few drill holes in the truck and create some lower screw inserts of the license plates, but I'm not keen on this idea. Your thoughts are appreciated.
    Thank you for your post! I hate the front Licence frame mounting screws. It drove me crazy when I received my plates. I can't believe that Toyota would make a design flaw such as this, considering that they have been importing cars into this country for many years.

My solution was pretty much similar to yours. For the front and rear license plates, I used some felt on the rear of the plates to prevent scratching instead of the bumpers you used.

I don't know of any other solution, but there must be many others out there with this same problem.
    I have no problem folding down the rear seats without changing the driving position.

I am completely floored that you would buy a new vehicle without checking to see if it would meet your needs.
    Folding the rear seats is a 10 second job that could be done in the showroom without a test drive or even a salesman.

The 4Runner doesn't have quite as much space as a uni-body suv because it has a tough truck frame reinforced with fully boxed crossmembers. It is designed to be rock solid and strong. The 4Runner can take on terrain that would beat the Highlander or any other unibody suv into submission and cry all the way home.
    If you need a minivan, the Honda Pilot has tons of room.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I fold mine down alot and have gotten used to scooting the seats up a hair to accomodate the folding process; then get back in the front seat and put the front seat back in position. I'm 6', and there at least three inches of room left with the rear seats down. This design is a dramatic improvement on the '02 by the way.
    Could anyone describe the way it works? I know it's just a warning light, but is it possible to set the tire pressure which you (the driver) consider normal, and then get the warning only if your pre-set parameters have been violated?

4Runner is designed to be taken off-road, where it makes sense to deflate the tires for greater traction. I would imagine a steadily lit tire pressure warning light would drive some people crazy...
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Use weatherstripping at the base of the license plate. It keeps the plate off the paint. Eventually of course its going to fall off, but check it each time you wash your vehicle & you'll be covered. I'd suggest sizes 5/16, 3/8, or 7/16. I've been using it on my '99 Accord with no problems, & of course my 4Runner.
  • rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Easily spaced from the body with small round rubber bumpers with adhesive on the back (Radio Shack). Clean the body and stick two behind the plate on the body. No big deal.
    I was disappointed in the design as well.
    For mounting, I took two thick (1/8") rubber grommets, and used them like washers between the car and the plate. Then I used weather stripping for the bottom edge of the plate, as mentioned earlier. Now there is no metal to metal contact.
    SUVNEWBE:

Hey what a coincidence! I got the call yesterday that my 4Runner is on the lot. I'm going in to pick it up this morning. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm not sure excactly but I think I placed my order the last week in June. So it took about 3 1/2 months. I'll provide exact details on my next post.

I placed my build order at South Bay Toyota, in Gardena, CA ($500 over invoice). I too got the run around from a bunch of Dealers. Most just don't want to do a build order, or maybe they really don't know how. I was suprised how many dealers let me walk away. Carson even played games with me. They told me on the phone they could do a build order. I went down, told them what I wanted, and made a credit card deposit. Then they started to "look" for my vehicle in the regional inventory, and, when they could not find what I wanted, said it might take a couple weeks. I let them know I was there to place a build order, not to wait for them to look for something in the inventory. The general manager then told me they cannot do a build order "because they come from Japan." I left frustrated, and called back the next week to get my deposit back--left a message. I then got a return call from the fleet/internet salesperson, who had been on vacation. She told me sure they would do a build order and she seemed to know what she was talking about. So I went with her and she has apparantley come through as promised with my order. She had said it would take anywhere from 3 to 5 months.

Another So. Cal. dealer that does build orders is Carson Toyota in Carson, CA. They also want $500 over invoice. Prior posts on this site gave Carson a big thumbs up for build orders.

Brian
  • claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    May I ask: did you order the Limited or the Sport? I remembered that you wanted a NAV system, XREAS and rear/side air bags, right? Did you get all of that? Thanks for your experience!
    I'm in So. Cal too.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    From Tirerack.com:

"Indirect System...
    use the vehicle's antilock braking system's wheel speed sensors to compare the rotational speed of one tire vs. the others. If one tire is low on pressure, it will roll at a different number of revolutions per mile than the other three tires, and alert the vehicle's onboard computer..."
    Sooooo Sweet!

I put my order in 7/1/3 and drove it home today. I got exactly what I wanted: 04 V8 Ltd, 2WD, with NAV, X-REAS, Sunroof, Airbags, Daytime Running lights. Galactic Grey Mica with the tan leather, not the stone, which usually comes with grey paint. I also did not want and did not get the spoiler. I did not pay for the floormats or cargo net, but they put them in the truck and I did not complain.

I paid $200 for toyota guard (paint and interior). Is this a sucker move, waste of money, anybody? Don't be shy.

I also paid $750 for 4 years of scheduled maintinance. I also go to the dealer for my maintinace, so this seemed like a good deal.

I declined on the extended warranty (additional 36 mo), which they offered down to $650.

The experience was good, fairly quick. One thing I would do different though is to consider these service options in more depth prior to picking the vehicle up. I'm comfortable with my decisions, but I do wish I had more information, and input from this board, prior to making those decisions.

Brian
    taken 3 additional years of warranty for $650. As service and parts get more expensive, 650 bucks to cover you bumper to bumper for 6 years seems like a sweet deal. Maybe you can still get it?
    Toyo Guard- sucker move :)

You can always buy Genuine Toyota extended warranties online for alot cheaper as long as you are within the factory new-truck warranty period-plenty of time to decide.

The spoiler actually does a really good job of keeping the tailgate clean. I would recommend the spoiler- it is one of the few that is actually functional.

If you take your car to the dealer anyway, the service sounds good.

Enjoy your ride and welcome to the club!

Oh btw, GREAT color combo you picked! Nice!