Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Can't see Mazda CX-9 Nav screen in the morning

tml0701tml0701 Member Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Mazda
Just bought our new 2008 cx-9 GT with Nav and I can't see crap in the morning on my way to work. I tried switching the display from night to day and visa versa plus turning the brightness up and I still can't see. In the afternoon I can see it fine. I don't get it??? I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem before I read the entire manual and call the dealer.

Comments

• Options
    howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    The NAV is definately darker first thing when started on a cold morning. However it does warm up and get brighter. So you are pressing IN (not turn) on the illumination button to switch to day mode right? You can see the brightness toggle dark and light correct? or not at all? how about at night time? Do you see a difference?
  • Options
    This morning I was trying everything and noticed the dimmer button near the speedometer and pushed on that and it worked before I was going into the nav system and switching it from day to night to auto on the actual nav screen. I read the manual last night and it didn't say anything about it WOW! Thanks for the reply this really would have annoyed the heck out of me after only having the car for 5 days!
  • Options
    howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    That button is buried in the user guide but it is not obvious.

However, If you use the auto-lights you'll find yourself continually pressing this button (just like the NAV Accept button) all the time. And the senstitivity of the auto-headlight sensor will drive you nuts if you park in a garage.
  • Options
    I noticed that headlight thing when I pull in the garage :) I am just happy that I can actually see the freakin nav screen on my way to work so hopefully I won't have too many more annoyances. As I was reading on this board I thought I better stop reading these pet peeves because now I am going to look for the problems instead of just enjoy the car.
  • Options
    rshoresrshores Member Posts: 4
    One thing that I finally got used to is just turning the screen off. I drive to and from work each day, and I know how to get both places. I listen to the same station every day, so I don't need the audio display. I've found that I can just turn it off, and not have to deal with the display being too bright at night (even in night mode) and meaningless during the day (unless I'm listening to MP3 CD's). It turns back on at the press of any of the buttons on the left side of the screen.
  • Options
    jnunes7750jnunes7750 Member Posts: 8
    I'll likely be doing the same thing, how do you turn the screen off? We have not purchased yet, bet we are looking at the forums for input. Thanks, :-)
  • Options
    rshoresrshores Member Posts: 4
    On the left hand side, if you press the (I believe) display button, in the top right hand corner you'll see "Display Off".

Other thing to keep in mind, if you get one with the nav, and want to hook your Sirius up, you will lose the ability to plug in your MP3 player. It's a documented issue that may have been solved with the '09 and '10 (I haven't checked), but it's an issue with the '08.

Overall, I love mine... nothing major I'd change.
  • Options
    jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    that problem is solved in 09...my iPhone works fine with Sirius satellite radio.
  • Options
    jnunes7750jnunes7750 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply. It really looks as if many people do not like the nav system on these cars. I could do without it but because Mazda bundles the Liftgate, Bluetooth, and rearview in the GT Package I'm thinking of getting it in spite of the difficulties folks seem to be having with nav. I'm also wondering if the 2010's may have any upgrades worth waiting for....we'll see. I'm in RI and the GT stock seems to be limited to Black, Black, and more Black.....These look great but I'm not looking forward to keeping it clean...
This discussion has been closed.