Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Durango Computer and Smog Test

ruokruok Member Posts: 1
edited September 2014 in Dodge
My check engine light had been on, needed a smog check done to renew my registration, and procrastinated. I unplugged my battery, got the light off, and was Rejected for the smog test. I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get it reset and was told if I drive it a certain amount of miles I can get the computer to reset itself. Anyone know how many miles? I am short on time.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    An auto parts store should be able to pull the codes and give you an idea of what may have triggered the light.

If it was just a loose gas cap, then a few driving cycles should clear it (depending on the car, a few driving cycles could just be 3 separate trips around the block).

It's also possible that the parts store could clear the codes for you. But if there's a bad sensor or something, the light will probably get triggered again quickly. And if something's wrong it could be costing you mpg and performance.
  • Options
    mcpryormcpryor Member Posts: 2
    75 miles is what you need to reset.... but be carful, drive to much more than that and you engine light is back again, right before the inspect!!!!
  • Options
    88bonz88bonz Member Posts: 1
    2002 DODGE DURANGO,check engine light was not reset by previous owner when heads were replaced.I need a smog check in order to register(CA>).Are there any temporary solutions?
  • Options
    thunderchildthunderchild Member Posts: 18
    Not a solution to a possible existing problem but you could do a SEAFOAM treatment to do a little cleaning of carbon deposits if that is part of the problem. Put some in your gas and do the upper valvetrain by using the brakeline intake method. Be careful and read the directions for proper usage though. If you do not know how to do it you can look on Youtube and Google it. Some one here can help you also. I am not saying this is the cure for your ill's but it may help with a litle cleaning of your internals.
  • Options
    bderegobderego Member Posts: 1
    I have a Dodge Durango, and recently had the heads replaced as well as fuel pump and an 02 Sensor. The car is running great however I have not been able to pass smog because the commputer is reading when they pretest it.. I was told to drive it and have driven over 100 miles but it still won't read. Wasting money on gas is killin me. does anyone have any suggestions on what I might be able to do. Thanks Bernie
This discussion has been closed.