Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Insight Prices Paid and Buying Experience

2»

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    All Honda leases have $595 acquisition fee..

The advertisement on the website may have had it included in the payment...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    Duh! Wrong place. I was the info in the lease forum so please disregard.
  • jett456jett456 Member Posts: 50
    Yeah, I had to pay the fee. The lease deal turned out ok. I basically got the leather package for almost nothing. They priced the EX with nav at 22600. Payment is $279.00 If I got one without leather it would have saved me $20.00 a month (720.00) Not worth it to me.
  • car1shopcar1shop Member Posts: 8
    Just picked up my Insight EX w/XM, $20,200 (pre-taxes,gov't mandatory fees & tags). So far content, always stressful buying car even though all the negotiation via email was a no drama, dispassionate experience. I sense from Honda due to Toyota's recent recalls, they feel they have an advantage. However, they STILL are not offering special financing on the Insight or any other consumer incentives. I thought February was usually a bleak month for car sales? Well, I'm happy with my price, especially since it included floor carpets/mats, cargo cover, tank of fuel and of course XM radio installed. :D
  • arch85arch85 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2010 Honda Insight EX -- no nav or xm or any of that jazz; just the regular EX model for $19000 + tax and other state fees ... Was also able to snatch 0% financing for 3 yrs! :)
  • benmbenm Member Posts: 8
    Wow!!! Do you mind giving the dealership name, city and state?
  • capplacappla Member Posts: 29
    Anyone purchase an Insight recently? If so, please post your purchase price (before tax, tag, title) and whether you got an LX, EX or EX w/ Navi.
  • eric_jreric_jr Member Posts: 1
    Just got two certified 2010 Honda Insight EX(s) (2K and 5K miles, no Navi) here in Fayetteville, AR. for ~18,400 a piece on March 24th, 2010. They didn't really compromise on the price any more, but after getting a trade-in of $7500 on our 2004 Honda Element (w/ 108K miles), my wife and I walked away with a combined note of $550/month (60 months). Not too bad I think and we're loving our decision more and more everyday. While we do miss Ellie (pet name of our former Element :), hybrids make the most sense these days in our opinion, especially with our impending move to the DC metro area. Can't wait to get more familiar with the car and the driving experience ;)
  • arch85arch85 Member Posts: 3
    Sorry -- didn't see your message until just now.

We bought it at Herb Chambers of Boston -- Jasmine was the kind lady who helped us get the deal.

Hope you guys have luck!!
  • countyslavecountyslave Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    Why does it have to be a So. Cal dealer if you can get it shipped for free from another dealer?
    I'm in San Francisco area and I wouldnt buy ANY parts or acc from a local dealer as they are far too expensive and have the idea they have the only game in town. Most have no clue that they are being undercut by smaller dealers out of state that really want your business. Insights are dirt cheap here but as for the "Extras" forget it.
    Try "pattypeckhondaparts" on ebay, might have to google it.
    Price is more then right and shipping on mine was free. Also check other listings from them as when I got mine I bidded on it and got it for less then $130 free shipping as no one else even bidded on it (from PattyPeck).
    Only wish I could have leased my insight from out of state on Ebay without being hit with Calif tax laws. Probably be too big for UPS or FedEx anyway ;) .
  • dsmkid95dsmkid95 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at taking advantage of Honda's current lease offer they have going. Have been negotiating through emails which helps and makes the process much easier. This is what I have been quoted for just the price of the vehicle (not including tax's and other fees:

LX: $17,238
    EX: $18,649
    EX w/ Nav: $20,341

We are really looking at either the EX or EX w/ Nav. Wondering is this a good deal?
  • lnchbx13lnchbx13 Member Posts: 10
    Does that include destination? If so then yest they are better than my quotes were.
  • dsmkid95dsmkid95 Member Posts: 3
    no this does not include destination charges
  • lnchbx13lnchbx13 Member Posts: 10
    These are the quotes I received that include destination. Yours are better. I would think they are pretty good.

Insight LX - 18357.00
    Insight EX - 19768.02
  • tomm_nctomm_nc Member Posts: 1
    Cary NC
    EX Nav - 21,249 + doc 398 = $21,627
    +tax&tags
    Purchased from Matt Ball - Cary Autopark
    Also - had priced accessories online - they matched price of accessories, I paid rack rates for installation of anything that required tools (eg mud flaps) but none if it didn't (eg Floor Matts).
  • 0beron0beron Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just finalized my purchase of a new 2010 Honda Insight LX from Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA.

Overall the experience was good... not great, but good.

Price I paid:

Selling Price $17,794.20
    Tire Fee $8.75
    Doc. Fee $55.00
    Sales Tax 9.25% $1,651.05
    DMV (Estimate) $291.00
    Total $19,800.00

Experience:
    Sales Guy: Luiz
    Very good experience with Luiz. He was patient, answered all my questions, went above and beyond in helping me feel comfortable with my purchase, and didn't play games with the price we agreed upon.

Finance Guy: Sanjay
    Very unpleasant experience with Sanjay. He spoke WAY too fast and sold us overpriced extended warranty (returned the next day).

Notes:

1) "Honda Care" = "extended warranty"
    Like everything else "Honda Care" (aka "extended warranty") price is negotiable. I purchased it VERY reluctantly at $2100 for 7 years / 100,000 miles from Sanjay but only after he said I could return it within 60 days. I didn't know anything about it so I wanted to look it up. Returned it the next day.
    You can buy extended car warranties from your car insurance and even from your finance company. Both options were cheaper than the Honda option Sanjay sold us.
    Sanjay used the "We'll give you your money back!" argument to sell us. Yes, Honda will return your money if you don't use it, but good luck not falling into one of the categories that causes them not to return your money. But, as always, don't take any one person's word for it, just look it up online.

2) Don't buy GAP insurance from the dealer until you've looked up other options. I asked about it from my finance company and it turns out they can't even ask you if you want it because the car company has first dibs. So YOU have to ask for it. Please ask, I'm still researching it but it seems pretty cheap (~$240) for what you get.
  • tn072tn072 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone bought in Charlotte area? could you share what was the Out the Door Price for an Insight?
  • matthewhartmanmatthewhartman Member Posts: 1
    Folks,
    Please reply with the best prices you've found for Insight LX and EX (no Nav).
    I want "out the door" prices, everything included.
    I live in So California.
    thanx!
  • motorhead69motorhead69 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    Next to New
    2010 Honda Insight Ex
    500km.
    Crystal Black with gray cloth interior
    With Nav and extras
    $22000.00 CDN no tax, no fees have pictures.
    In Alberta, Canada-private No accidents, or problems.
  • tdinsighttdinsight Member Posts: 4
    Just for people shopping, seems Honda anxious to move 2010 inventory so I picked up Insight EX w/o navigation for $18499 and got KBB plus $300 for my 2002 GMC minivan trade in. Insight did not seemed singled out for discounts, Accords and Civic hybrid also had attractive mark downs.
  • byronchicagobyronchicago Member Posts: 3
    Received price quote as follows:

2010 Insight LX MSRP $20550
    Upfront price $17785.95 including destination and handling charges
    Not including tax and fees.

Above seems a good deal, but am I missing something? Any suggestions or things to watch
    out for?

Thanks in advance for help.
  • heathert391heathert391 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased one of the 3 last remaining insights in my state @ $17587 including doc and destination fees so that is inline with the quotes I received as well.
  • hybrid711hybrid711 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like u got a great deal on a new 2010 Insight.
    We are right now looking at also an offer of $2100 for a 7 year Xtended
    new car warranty from an East Bay dealer. When u are advising us to buy instead from our
    car insurance, does that mean from Allstate or AAA?
    And, could u explain what is GAP?

Thanx.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is interested in talking with recent owners ( within the last month) or people who are considering purchasing a hybrid or a pickup truck. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 12pm PST on March 1st, 2011 and include your name, state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and your phone number.
  • steve190steve190 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2011
    I test drove and bought my first hybrid this past Saturday and took advantage of Honda's 0.9 interest rate plus got what I think is an excellent buy on the car. Got a 2011 Crimson Pearl colored base for 17300 plus tax and tags in upstate NY. Pick the car up on Wed. this week! Will post MPG and what I think of the car after driving it for a month or so.
  • ericson578ericson578 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2011 Honda Insight base model in the San Francisco Bay area. The price was $18,430, with an out the door cost of just over $20,000
  • steve190steve190 Member Posts: 12
    Wow, what a differance from what I was able to get my car for (17300) in upstate NY to your price! I guess my sales guy was correct telling me what a great deal he was giving me. So far I am loving this car and averaging 50 MPG according to the gauge in the car. Hope you enjoy yours as well.
  • patterdaleozpatterdaleoz Member Posts: 1
    California consumers BEWARE: I received an email offer from Stockton Honda Internet sales (Molida) offering a"Special Internet Price" for a 2011 Honda Insight for $19,719.00 with the price in RED size 48 font. After 3 phone calls and 3 emails, and 2 hours into a 4 hour drive on my way to the dealer for this "special 48 hour" deal they called and said "Sorry, it was all a mistake. We have to sell it for sticker price." Of course the sweet sales girl fronting the deal sounded innocent and apologized that her sales manager said there was no way they could sell it for this price. My assumption is that they could probably do this because in the fine print at the bottom of the offer was a disclaimer saying they were not responsible for "typographic" errors.

I'd believe it if the same scenario did not happen the last time we drove to buy a truck. We said we'd go to dinner and think about it and they called and said the manager "okayed" the deal.

Is there any reason to trust car dealers when they do this to the public?
  • dnatechdnatech Member Posts: 25
    Just got a 2012 base model !
    The business manager pushed for me to buy the extra warranty for $967.00 -7year/80.000 miles. His reason (besides the financial gain for him) was that there is a lot of electronics that can go wrong after 3 years.
    I declined and, after reading the manuals, it seems to me that there is a lot covered beyond the 3 years, 50,000 miles (in Rhode Island).
    Was I right? Also, isn't the purchasing of extra warranty offered before the 3 year limit?
    Thank you for the answers
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    how much did u pay? any discounts? did u drive both 2011, 2012, any diff
    I only tried the 2012 because that was the only one available & I bought it. (base model =what I wanted). I paid $18,315.total (including doc. fees but not Rhode State taxes).
  • tastecklertasteckler Member Posts: 14
    I have an offer for a Insight 2012 LX out the door for $21,927...this includes a $499 doc fee and 7% sales tax. Anyone wnat to comment on if this is a good deal?

Thanks.
  • shady_treeshady_tree Member Posts: 3
    $16,857 in Southern California + $55 doc fee,tax,title,license
  • ccwusaccwusa Member Posts: 1
    that is pretty good deal. are you willing to share where did you buy your 2012 insight in Southern Cal? I also live in Southern Cal and thinking of buying one in the beginning of the year. thanks,
  • shady_treeshady_tree Member Posts: 3
    This was at metro Honda, though I also got good quotes from some dealers in the inland empire. However it was before the truecar fallout and I used that to my advantage
  • sparker3sparker3 Member Posts: 2
    Any help with what is a reasonable price for a '12 EX (no NAV) would be appreciated, as well as recommendations for Northern CA dealers. Thanks. I can share that I got a quote of 19,900 (not including tax and license) for the LX, before I convinced myself to move up:>
  • eddy5678eddy5678 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought the 2013 honda insight base last 2 month 12/12 2012...with the price 21500..is that good?
    Hi,
    It's hard to answer to your question, if it's a done deal, you don't want to have regrets, right?
    I find this excessive for a base model. I have a 2012 base model I bought in Nov. 2011 for aprox $18,200.00. I went with the AAA printed quote they have to go with. I don't think they were happy and asked for my AAA card but I got it that day brand new, no haggling.
    Maybe the car prices went up, it is a very good car and still cheaper than the Prius and the dash board makes sense.
    Enjoy the car!
  • twartedtwarted Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 Insight with 99950 miles with full kit (Nav the works) and extended warranty and all service records and no scratches. I went to Pompano Honda to trade in against an Accord last night.... and Guess what? I discovered the error of my ways.
    Its worth maybe $7,000 after paying $24,500 for it new.
    Had I not listened to the Honda Sales Pitch I would have bought a Toyota Prius which with the same mileage would have been worth a LOT more. Perhaps Consumer reports might like to take a look at depreciation between the two?
    I no longer drive the car in case the battery dies and BTW the fuel consumption has been between 35 and 37.5 MPG. Is it true Honda have been sued in a class action law suite for lies about fuel consumption claims?? Have I a case?
    Better they be sued for a pretend Hybrid system that has a massive loss in value as a result. Any Lawyers reading? - Look at my records if you wish!
    As we say in Ireland it has not got the power to "Pull the socks off of a dead man" and the only redeeming quality is I can drive it in the HOV lane!!!
    Reliability was excellent but for a full assembly replacement of GPS - CD-Radio at 41,000 miles. Service department at Pompano Honda puts my Lexus Department to shame - They are excellent in all ways.
    Silly me for buying one - All you happy owners .... Your time will come! - The car was rushed to the market and "Under Engineered" (Never saw so much painted metal since an Alfa in the 60's!) and you will pay the price in resale value.
  • co772erco772er Member Posts: 1
    The experience you've had with your 2010 seems to mirror the general consensus- that the earlier models were duds. They were indeed under-engineered and rushed to the market. However, most people will agree that the 2012 and 2013 models are excellent. It brings the MPG up to 41 city and 44 highway, although if you check another very popular, general car web site (you can probably guess which one), people say they've been getting even high into the 50's for highway. I really have never seen a vehicle rated as highly as the Insight, with an average of 4.9 out of 5. That's quite an endorsement, in my opinion.
  • trusaleen1trusaleen1 Member Posts: 98
    There is a dealership here that has a 2013 NEW Insight EX, I realize when this vehicle is driven off the lot it becomes a used 2013. What do you think would be a reasonable price to offer, I was thinking around $19k?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,253

There is a dealership here that has a 2013 NEW Insight EX, I realize when this vehicle is driven off the lot it becomes a used 2013. What do you think would be a reasonable price to offer, I was thinking around $19k?

You can use the pricing tools at the top of the page to get an idea of what a low mileage used Insight EX would sell for, then adjust for the lack of miles.

How much is a new Insight? $22K? $19K seems pretty high for a car that is now two model years old.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• trusaleen1trusaleen1 Member Posts: 98
    great thanks