Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg

2»

Comments

• bettebbetteb Member Posts: 11
    jeff is right...however, I have NEVER received an "excellent" value for my trade..most dealers offer somewhere below "good" if using KBB.
    This car has incredibly steep depreciation...when I looked into it some more, I saw that the Yahoo message boards are full of "Great car, but worth about 10k less after two years."
    Honestly, I'm not trying to provoke a fight, or even imply that I am in any way a car whiz, but...the depreciation on this car is incredibly bad. I have owned two VW models, and they held their value pretty well. I have no idea why this model doesn't. That, and the somewhat harsh ride are keeping me from signing on the dotted line.... :confuse:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    What are these actually selling for though...surely you are not looking to pay MSRP. Edmunds has reported that the average car sold for something like 20% off MSRP in Jan, IIRC. That would mean $4K off the average $20K car.

Of course, if you get 0% for 36 months that is probably costing VW around $2000. So maybe you effectively would pay around $18K ($20K plus $2000 savings from 0%) and trade in after a year is around $13K??? So maybe it's $5k depreciation?

Fitzmall has a couple of these listed with internet price of about $3K off MSRP.
  • bettebbetteb Member Posts: 11
    The best APR VW was offering was 3.9%. I was not financing.
    Of course I was not paying MSRP.
    This is a limited production model with an even more limited amount of buyers. Depreciation, no matter how you make up numbers, is very steep.
    Pass.
  • bartnj07bartnj07 Member Posts: 3
    First at just 500 miles the dealer had to replace the automatic transmission. Now at 29k miles, they just replaced the Drive Shaft. Unfortunately this does not qualify my car as a lemon. I'm under a lease, I'm about to call VW customer care to see if they can work something out with me. Anyone has any experience with them?
    What do you need to "work out"? Your car is under warranty and they are fixing it as needed, right? I'm guessing the warranty will continue to be in effect for the entire length of the lease as this seems to be the way lessors do things...so what is the issue?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am in a similar situation, though with a different car all together. Yes, the warranty will cover any of my issues. Such as a glitchy transmission, or engine problems. Dealer cannot duplicate the problem. To this day it is still doing it, but not on a 100%
    basis. Its also nothing that shows itself incredibly well either, but I know the issue is there and that its not entirely normal.

So, I will just drive it, deal with it. If it happens to show itself more, than I will show the dealer. I also know that I won't hold on to the car for the whole lease. But, doing so will force me to wait at least 2yrs in, then values and numbers will be much better for a way out. So less than a year, I could have a better chance.

They won't let you out, but they will honor the warranty, and if they want to do that, then I will use that in every way I can... such as rentals and any issue I have. Let them eat the bill. I have run up at least $2k bill I am sure with minimal issues already, including rentals.

This is their problem, their car, I only lease it. Let them do it.
  • bartnj07bartnj07 Member Posts: 3
    You are right all the repairs are covered under the warranty. I guess I was stupid to think that I could lease this car for three years and then buy it. I chose 10k per yr mile limit and now I know I'll exceed the miles and there's no way I'll buy this car after all these issues. I spoke to the service manager who referred me to VW customer care and I'm pretty sure that I won't accoplish anything with them. I got in touch with one of the lemon law firms and from they've told me is that even if the car won't qualify as a lemon I might be able to get some money from VW since the car depreciated more in value due to the mechanical problems.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    That is true! I completely understand. I keep trying, for the possibility of getting out. Perhaps with new car prices, and incentives now, I will be able to get out. Perhaps you could do the same.
    I don't see how you would be able to argue for compensation for supposed diminshed value. Since you are leasing any diminshed value would affect what the dealer can sell it for after you turn it in at the end of the lease. You essentially have already agreed to the trade in value as part of the lease arrangements.

That is not to say that the "lemon law firm" will not be happy to charge you some fees to argue this. As for buying the car, I don't know that the fact that you had a couple repairs means that it is destined to continue to have other problems.

There is always the option to buy an extended warranty. I don't think these make financial sense myself, but up until 4 years and 36,000 miles I had the option to buy one from my credit union for our Jetta, with coverage comparable to mfr bumper to bumper warranty. To go 4 additional years and to 80K total miles was $2241 with 0 deductible or $1911 for a 100 deductible. So I could have eliminated the risk of high repair costs during our first 8 years of ownership for about $2000.

Like I said that was not a deal I wanted to take, but if the alternative would be to trade cars at 4 years, paying the $2000 for the warranty would likely be a much cheaper option. This figure also tells me that the warranty company (who is planning to make a profit on these deals) is expecting repairs to be quite a bit less than $2000, on average, over the next 4 years and ~40-50,000 mi.
  • hdrodder170hdrodder170 Member Posts: 1
    On a 2007 JETTA WOLFSBURG. What's required on a 40k service? I know air, oil, and cabin filters. What is better synthetic or regular type? Weight and quantity? Also spark plugs?
    You can find your maintenance schedule at:

http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/findschedules/en/us/
  • skippytcgskippytcg Member Posts: 10
    I believe under federal law the engine block needs to be stamped with the VIN #
  • edppedpp Member Posts: 2
This discussion has been closed.