Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Freestyle keypad code

carolmfcarolmf Member Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Ford
We purchased an '06 Freestyle Limited, but did not have the keypad code. Were told we could go to a dealership and, for a fee, have it retrieved from the vehicle computer. Also that the code could be found on the computer module. Where is the module, and is the code easy to find on it? We opened the access door under the steering wheel thinking it might be there, but not sure. Could not find any information in the owners manual...

Comments

• Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I have no idea whether the Ford Explorer uses the same system as the Ford Freestyle but it may be worth a look at Ford Explorer Keypad Questions.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "We purchased an '06 Freestyle Limited, but did not have the keypad code. Were told we could go to a dealership and, for a fee, have it retrieved from the vehicle computer. Also that the code could be found on the computer module. Where is the module, and is the code easy to find on it? We opened the access door under the steering wheel thinking it might be there, but not sure. Could not find any information in the owners manual... "

Hopefully this is not too obvious, but I kept the card listing the code with my owners manual, in the folder supplied with the car. Did you get the folder and OM?

This is from the OM:

"KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM
    You can use the keyless entry
    keypad to:
    • lock or unlock the doors without using a key.
    • activate or deactivate the autolock feature.

The keypad can be operated with the factory set 5–digit entry code; this code is located on the owner’s wallet card in the glove box, is marked on the computer module, and is available from your authorized dealer. You can also
    create your own 5–digit personal entry code.

When pressing the controls on the keypad, press the middle of the
    controls to ensure a good activation."

If you didn't get the OM, there is a forum on Edmunds for online owners' manuals.
  • Options
    carolmfcarolmf Member Posts: 5
    Yes, we have the owners manual , but there is no card with keypad codes on it. We were hoping someone could tell us where the computer module was and where the code was listed on it. The only other option is to go to a dealer and pay $$$ to have them hook it up and retrieve the code.
  • Options
    barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    I don't think the code is written on the computer module. Instead, it's stored IN it. In other words, the dealer has to hook up a computer to it in order to read the code.
  • Options
    schanceschance Member Posts: 1
    The computer module is located under the steering wheel. The code is on the back of the fuse box thing. I retrieved my code by taking a mirror and flashlight and looking behind the fuse box ...The code is on a white siemens sticker. It is kinda behind the front left corner. It is hard to get to but I got to it in about 10-20 minutes. I laid on my back under the steering wheel. Put the little mirror behind the black box that has pull on it. used the flashlight to shine towards the mirror. Kept moving it around till I found it. Had my daughter write the number down then figured out what it was because in the mirror its backwards. You could also try to take a picture with a small digital camera but, that didn't work for me....good luck.
  • Options
    ragtopmannragtopmann Member Posts: 2
    Yep, i did basically the same thing as #6. Except I used a small digital camera. Put the camera in Macro mode and just started taking a bunch of pictures on the upper side of the keyless entry box module located just above the pedals on driver side of course.Took less than 5 minutes! :- ) good luck.
This discussion has been closed.