Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Power Steering Noise

gungagunga Member Posts: 16
In the last few weeks my power steering seems to have gotten a lot louder. Only have about 8k miles.

Fairly loud gronning during low speed turns. I can hear it over the radio.

Have yet to take it to dealer.

Comments

• chumsterchumster Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem.

After 3 steering pumps were replaced, GM finally recommended to change the whole steering rack. That seem to take care of the noise, at least 95% of it.

Good luck!
  • gungagunga Member Posts: 16
    Well the dealer found the following:
    1. Fluid was low
    2. Had a small leak of PS fluid
    3. There was a bracket loose

Dealer did not explain what was the cause of the bracket being loose and if this
    caused the fluid loss.

Everything seams to be OK now.
  • inlinesicksinlinesicks Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the dumb question but where is the power steering fluid reservoir?? Im not new to working on cars, I've rebuilt a few engines and done multiple engine swaps and countless hours of other repairs, but when I look under the hood of my moms Enclave Im just confused, it doesnt look like there is a real engine under there, it definitely makes me thankful for how easy my BMW 3-series is to work on! (and the build quality lol)

Oh also makes me even happier to have a manual transmission, what a piece of crap auto in the Enclave! :lemon:
  • myrtlemanmyrtleman Member Posts: 14
    I've got a 2010 Enclave with 400 miles on it. I've been enjoying the quiteness of the vehicle riding around with the A/C and radio on. The other day I turned both of those off and wow! did that allow me to hear the circus noises going on from the clanking and clicking and popping in the front end to the hissing noise coming from the steering wheel when turning it left or right. When it's centered it's quiet. I'm not going to say it's very loud, but once you hear it your ear is tuned into it. Has anyone experienced this issue? I'd like to know what I'm up against before I take it to the dealer. I had a 1993 Regal for 16 years and never heard a peep from the suspension or the power steering. In fact I never had to take it in for warranty work ever. I checked the fluid level and it was full.
  • murano6murano6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2010 Buick Enclave and was surprise fine out that the Gas Compartment didn't lock. An as, of this date there is not a after market Locking Gas Cap. Does anyone know where I can find one? :confuse:
  • mondial1mondial1 Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2008 GMC Acadia (turned it in early on lease and bought a 2008 BMW 328i)and still have a 2008 Buick Enclave. Both vehicles have the steering noises. Last week the power steering pump went bad and the vehicle was taken to GMC dealership to be repaired. It is still there a week later as the gearbox was also bad and GM cannot get one to the dealer and may not for another week.

To inlinesicks, the power steering fluid filler is under the engine cover, You have to take off the oil fill cap and pull the plastic cover up from snap in pins in 3 places. The fill unit is to the middle left.

The dealer told me that the noises from the Acadia and Enclave were "normal" and could not be gotten rid of! I had an Escalade for 5 years and traded it in with 140,000 miles and NEVER had these type of noises nor any problems with the power steering. I should have spent the extra $30,000 and got a new Escalade (the main reasen we didn't was because we thought we would get better gas milegae with the Enclave...don't get me started there!) and avaided these problems.
  • washington2washington2 Member Posts: 10
    edited October 2010
    I am on my 2nd power steering rack at 66,000 and seem as tho I need another one now. I took it to the dealer a month ago because of whining and knocking noise going on under the front end. They said that my power steering pump was leaking and the control arms under the front needed replacing. I paid them almost $700 to replace the power steering pump, and the whining noise is still there worse than before. Have not replaced the control arms yet. Trying to get the steering noise straight. I sounds like a little 1980 honda civic with 200k. I ordered this vehicle new I can't believe Buick is letting this type of quality represent them. Lets don't mentioned the Navigation been freezing the whole radio system for a couple of months now and the dealer said I need to replace the radio unit at a price of $1600. Not Good. I have a Used 2005 Jaguar XJ8 L the nav is still working fine a matter of fact it gives me less problems than the Buick as a whole with 50k miles. Oh I forgot the Transmission went out 2 times as well this year alone.
  • buckb4buckb4 Member Posts: 2
    I took my 2009 Enclave to the dealer today with the same type of noises that all of you are talking about. My power steering pump was replaced 18 months ago. After telling the dealer this he told me that there have been lots of complaints of this nature the last couple of weeks, and that GM does not have a fix for this problem yet. Replacing the power steering rack will do nothing to help this problem, and may even make the noises louder if the pump and rack are not a match or synchronized.

Bottom line: have your dealer open up a "case number" for your problem with GM. GM places a high importance on the case numbers, so the more case numbers that are opened for this problem; hopefully the faster GM will fine a solution to the problem.
  • jacksparrow2jacksparrow2 Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2008 AWD Enclave, that has a strange problem.When it rains and I drive the vehicule, the steering wheel seems to lock up, and stays this way for a few seconds. The vehicule cannot be turned. It has happened to me a few times and my wife just had the same experience. I have mentionned this problem last time I was in for service, and nothing was found wrong. I have seen on another forum that the inside wheel wells were replaced for a redesigned model. I've mentionned this to the dealer and they have never heard of this solution. I love my Enclave, but do not want anyone getting killed by it, especially my loved ones for whom I bought the vehicule. It is a scary feeling driving a car that does not turn, just think of the results if this should happen in a curve at highway speeds.
    Don
  • inlinesicksinlinesicks Member Posts: 2
    Most likely if it only does it when its raining its probably due to water getting on the belt and causing it to slip and lose power steering.
    With the engine off I can turn the front wheels without any problems, but when running, I cannot. I have a good set of arms, and up to now I have always been able to turn a steering wheel without any problems, even when the belt is slipping. This car is very dangerous and I just hope that GM will be able to find their problem. I am not the only one with this problem. Many cases with NHTSA.
  • mrsrobinson2mrsrobinson2 Member Posts: 1
    We've owned GMC products and have never had the whinning noise which sounds like it's coming for the power steering. Only have 7K miles on the Enclave. Just doesn't seem right. Noise happens mostly driving slowing through subdivisions. It happens when we turn the wheel and even when we are not turning but just excelerating at speeds from 10-30 mph.
    First time the dealer said it was a little low on the steering fluid. Fluid and a special additive were suppose to fix it but it didn't. Please add my observation to those others already posted. Are others losing fluid at such low mileage?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Can we follow up with you through email? We’d like to work with you and yoru dealer towards resolving concerns like yours. Please email Christina with your name, VIN, involved dealership, and contact information.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Yes you can, I'll give you the info when I receive your E-mail.
    Don.
    It's: socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rocdriverrocdriver Member Posts: 9
    Last month we had the transmission replaced (under warranty) on our 2008 60k miles Enclave. Immediately after that the windshield washer transmission for variable speed wipers went and needed to be replaced costing us between $300-$400. Today we found that the power steering pump/rack is leaking and is expected to cost $1000 to repair/replace as we are now out of warranty. Three major problems within a few short weeks at around 60k miles does not give those trying to stick with American autos lots to be impressed with. I caution those approaching this mileage threshold to be aware of issues. I expect more than this from a car that cost over $42k new 4 years ago.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Can we follow up on you with your vehicle concerns? Please email us your name and contact information along with the last 8 digits of your vehicle’s VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rocdriverrocdriver Member Posts: 9
    Yes I would appreciate any assistance in followup. Where do I find an email address for you? We are picking up the vehicle today as they have repaired it. I am anxious to see what the cost of this repair will total.
    You can find an email address under my profile.

Look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mrsmith60mrsmith60 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Buick Enclave. The vehicle has always had a high pitch noise in the steering (worse when a/c is on) and now I have knocking when turning the wheel. The dealer says no danger in the noise but it would take $700.00 to fix. I have been so disappointed in this car. Many noises, problems with stabilitrack, brakes, etc. and when I take it to a dealership there are no answers for the problems.
    Thank you for posting your concerns, mrssmith60,

I’m sorry to hear that you have had so many arise with your Enclave. If we can be of any assistance (looking into warranty or recall information on your vehicle, assisting in working with a dealership towards resolving this concern), please email us with your name/username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • davec40davec40 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this groaning and squealing noise in the power steering for some time as well. I just now have turned 50k and two dealers have each told me that Buick was aware of the problem, was not a recall and working on a fix. I, too, experienced low P/S fluid at one time but was told that this was not the cause of this noise. It sounds more like a rubbing sound as if a bushing was bad or needed a shot of grease. Does not interfere with overall drive, but worrisome and annoying.
    I have spoken with two other owners of Acadia/Enclave who have same problem.
    If Customer Service can be of any assistance in working with a dealership towards addressing the concerns you're describing, please email us more information (including your name/username, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dcc7616dcc7616 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same power steering problems on my 2008 Enclave. Have you had any luck with getting this fixed?
    Customer Assistance is available to help you work with your dealership towards diagnosing what is behind steering concern you're describing. Or we can even check to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle. Please send us an email with more information, including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN, the name of your involved dealership, and information on your visits to the dealership.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kkunzler64kkunzler64 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased this car in October of 2009, and shortly after I purchased it they replaced something in the steering that was making a load clanking noise. Everything has been ok until this fall, and since that point I have replaced the power steering pump, water pump, and now the rack & pinion needs to be replaced. I paid a lot of money for this car to have these types of major issues on a car that has less than 80K miles on it. I put anywhere between 35K & 45K miles on this car a year, and I can't afford to keep shelling out 500 to 1K every month on this car for repairs on top of the monthly pmt. I need for Buick/GM to step up here and admit that there are serious issues with the steering on the Enclave, and fix this car free of charge. I had one of the dealership's service people rid with me in the car to hear some issues with the steering earlier this year, and he told me that the noises were just part of the normal noises on an Enclave, and now 9 months later it needs a rack & pinion. I need to get at least 150K miles out of this car before I replace it, and right now I seriously doubt that will happen.
  • buckb4buckb4 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    I reported over a year ago that all of you should be having your dealerships open up a "Case Number" with GM for your steering noise problems. Have any of you done this? I also see that GM Customer Service has contacted some of you; has that helped you? To date GM still has not contacted me regarding my case number. Reference: I was respondent #9 on this topic last year.
    Kkunzler64,

If we can set up a customer assistance case for you, which are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, please email us more information (include your name and contact information, your involved dealership and an account of your visits there for these concerns (if applicable), and the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage).

Bbuckb4,

I apologize that your post was overlooked. It sounds as though you do have a Service Request open - would you like for us to look into this further? Please email us your case number and we would be happy to share its progress with you.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • badgm1badgm1 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2008 buick enclave CXL, and have experienced the same exact issues. The car crossed the 100,000 ,mile mark and has completely fallen apart. Transmission went up at 104,000 that GM agreed to cover only half after i had brought vehicle in complaining of transmission problems at 94000 miles $2100. Now vehicle power steering rack failed about 2 weeks ago, quick $1000, only to be followed by power steering pump failing yesterday and another $600.
    I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience and frustration you are experiencing. Has your vehicle already been repaired, or is it still in at your dealership?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • badgm1badgm1 Member Posts: 2
    it is in the dealership now, repairs were to be done today..
    They did fix my car on Monday of this week, and to my surprise they did pay for the repairs. I am happy that GM did stand up and take care of this problem, however I would really like to see them do a recall on this issue. When my power steering pump started having issues, it would totally stop working for a few seconds. The first time that issue happened I had 5 customers in the car with me turning out of a restaurant to a very busy street, and we were inches away from a bad wreck. To me these steering problems are a serious safety hazard, and should be replaced under a recall. Your transmission problems at 104K miles scare me, as I most likely put 150K miles on this car.
  • topgun4topgun4 Member Posts: 5
    jacksparrow....we had trouble with our Enclave electrical system as a result of water saturation of a (GM Tech told us..) water-logged connector under passenger side floor mat. We live in Michigan and the car had been outdoors for several weeks in the snow and ice...freezing and thawing. Apparently the seal around the sun roof allowed moisture to seep into the sun roof drain channel which has a drain-line that sends moisture down "A" post and out...the drain either plugs or disconnects and allowed water into/around that connector. this causes lots of weird electrical stuff to happen. The DIC shut down...radio shut down...wipers failed...if shut engine off...would not re-start. Once the tech replaced the sun roof seal, dried out the connector...things were fine...BUT then when summer arrived, we were caught in a very heavy down-pour (rain) and it happened again...I took it back into the shop...they dried it out and put some "goopy" stuff on it and fiddled with the drain line...it's been over 9 months and things are fine. I just suggest checking this out as a solution...might be your problem.
    MIKE
    Badgm1,

Have you gotten your Enclave back at this point? If so, how did the repairs go?

Happy Holidays,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jessy4jessy4 Member Posts: 1
    I had the power sterring noise of my enclave 2008 right after a simple oil change at the dealership. well i left it alone for a bit but this noise was getting louder at times. i took my enclave back so they can take a look at it . come to find out it was some part in the wheel system. whats worse after they replaced a whole major part ,the noise was still there. left with frustration because after i explained on how this was not normal they brushed it off by saying u need to drive the vehicle for a while so the parts can lubricate. i even asked to see the oiginal part to make sure they did change it. there explaination was o we packed it up already to send it back to manufature. hmm didnt sound right. well next thing you know there was no change. i took my enclave to anothor gm service provideer explained what i was hearing and they took the time to listen. they even drove it around when i was there, something thery didnt do at the dealership. he knew what i was talking about .at coming back to pick up my car he said there were air pockets and not enough power sterring fluid and now it is running smoothly and quietly. he even let me know the wrong things the dealership did. he said when the dealership tech filled the power sterring fluid after changing the part they did not let it run to take out the air pockets it had. makes me wonder if it needed that major part in the first place. the problem with some ,they dont take the time to listen. im glad this other place did and fixed that problem. now i really hesitate to take it back for check ups at where i got the enclave. from one simple oil change to who nows if they messed up the powersterring over it.
    I am glad to hear that you were able to have the noise taken care of in your Enclave, and sorry that your initial dealership experience was not satisfactory. Is the alternative service provider you went to convenient? If it's a GM dealership, any warranties on your vehicle would still be honored. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ernie61ernie61 Member Posts: 1
    I have worked for ford for 30 years and have seen too many problems,know i work for myself.This past year i worked on a few cobalts and 2 G6s,I have never seen so many issues in my life all the same prolems ,suspension,injectors power steeringnthese cars have 50000 to 85000 on them.I am working on an Enclave now it has 83,258 on it struts are gone,they leaked all over and links are shot,now it came back with traction,abs,and check engine light on and on start up internal engine rattle.I look for tsbs and there are at least 50 or more.I have seen Hondas and toyotas with 100,000 on them with still know problems.American companies are about bottom line not quality of car after 50,000.I drove ,Ford,chevy,and doge truuks,guss what I bought the toyota,guss what it has more American parts on it than the big 3,so whos the fool????It is very sad greed ruining are country and the consumer
  • crayjencrayjen Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I bought my 2008 Enclave in April of 2011, I know this sounds strange but we liked the wheels better than the big blingy ones on the newer models. HOWEVER, I'm thinking we need to get rid of it. The steering noises posted here are awful, and I have a loud whistling noise if the wind is blowing across the vehicle while running down the road. The 2/3/R ? plate in the transmission had to be replaced at 43,000, and I just got it back from the dealership yesterday because there was a leak in the evaporator core. AND of course the bumper to bumper, has expired, not because of miles, but because of time. Get in the car today and the driver side window doesn't work right, and the right side mirror doesn't either. Before this I drove a 2002 Chevy Venture, and didn't have a single problem until well after 100,000. I'm worried this is a piece of junk that I'm paying for every month!! NOT HAPPY! I'm going to try and call customer service today, but I'm not sure it will do any good?!? I have a cousin who was thinking about an Enclave...asked me what I thought, I honestly couldn't recommend an Enclave to anyone right now!
    Customer Service will get you set up with a Service Request and will help you work through what options may be available. The first step in the process is going to be a visit to your dealership to have them diagnose what the cause of the concern is.

Please keep us posted as to your progress!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I know that I made a mistake with this car, and I am actively looking to replace it. I am going to take a bath on this car, as the trade in values are terrible. When I purchased this car in Oct of 2009 consumer reports recommended it, and they have now pulled that recommendation. While I was very happy that GM took car of the last repair, I am very much concerned about what will break next. The A/C has been making some noises and not working as good, so I am sure that will be a serious issue very soon. The transmission is now very slow to shift when the car is first used after a cold night. I have owned a lot of cars over the years, and I put a ton of miles on them for my field sales job. This car is by far the most comfortable and nice car that I have owned, however it is also the biggest lemon that I have ever owned.
  • mgmd11mgmd11 Member Posts: 4
    I am reading this thread after finding out my 2009 Buick Enclave will have to have its rack & pinion replaced at 61,000 miles and out of warranty. My mechanic said this is a common problem with this model and there is no quality recall. It will cost me $1100. The local dealer has done 5 of these repairs in the last month. The power steering just started not working at low speeds. GM may be making a comeback but not with this customer.
    I'm sorry to hear that the rack & pinion needs to be replaced on your Enclave.

If we can look into any additional options that may be available, please send us an email with more information (include your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). My coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails, will set up your Service Request and advise you further. We can't guarantee the results of this inquiry, but will be thorough in our investigation.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • tigfittigfit Member Posts: 7
    I guess I should have learned my lesson from my last 2002 Buick Rendezvous but i guess I am a die hard Buick fan! I bought a 2008 Buick Enclave 3 months ago with 116,000 miles on it 2 previous owners. Mileage has never bothered me if I figured it looked like it was maintained well by previous owners! After 3 months now I can say Great riding auto but seems like it has bugs in electrical and the same whinning power steering unit everyone else complains about! Yesterday I got inside auto and decided to get something from back seat and I could not open door power door locks would not operate until I started car then radio went crazy with no display but played fine. First I thought battery went dead but it started fine! Next day my wife said all dash displays went off while driving! Oh boy! Had a problem like this on Rendezvous BCM module ! Well looks like I am in for it Again I will watch all your post . I learned a lot about the Rendezvous here and any time I took it to the dealer I heard the same thing " never heard of that problem " ! Sound familiar!
    I'm sorry to hear about these electrical issues with your Enclave. Have you already visited your dealership? We're available to follow up with them, if you like. Please get in touch via the email address located in my profile and we'll look into this further (include the last 8 of your VIN and the name of your dealership).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • paiceskaterpaiceskater Member Posts: 1
    While I love my 2008 Buick Enclave AWD, paying $1800 for a repair to the power steering unit right after it was out of warranty(55,000 miles), didn't sit well with a retired individual.

Reading the number of postings on this issue has me convinced there is a major problem here....
    How do I start a case number and have this issue become an official recall....?

I had considered buying another Enclave, but if this happens again or I have to fork over more money, why......especially if GM isn't going to stand behind their product.
    Hello paiceskater,

I'm sorry to read about the recent repair you had done on your Enclave, and apologize for any unease this caused you. The repair has been completed, correct?

We can get a Service Request set up for you if you wanted to email us at socialmedia@gm.com (please include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership). Or, if you're more comfortable discussing these matters over the phone, you can also contact our Buick Customer Assistance Center at 800-521-7300.

Setting up a Service Request will not generate a recall, but that database as well as the database that our dealerships use are used by GM to make decisions along those lines.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mgmd11mgmd11 Member Posts: 4
    Buick does have a serious quality issue with their Enclave power steering pumps and the cascading problems it causes. Just replacing the pump does not fix the problem because the metal chips from the pump get into the rack and pinion gear causing it to fail as well. Both parts have to be replace. Buick will only consider resolving an out of warranty issue if the repair it done at a GM dealer. I had my repair done elsewhere after finding out it was out of warranty. So Buick chooses to ignore the issue and not resolve a serious customer satisfaction issue. This customer chooses to never buy another GM product and share my experience with others.
  • tickedownertickedowner Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Buick Enclave that was purchased new and as of today I an labeling it a lemon! First the sun roof leaked so frequently that the head lining is now ruined, but apparently the leak is repaired. Then the water pump failed and had to be replaced. Next the power steering pump failed. Then the main seal on the transmission failed and it took two weeks to be repaired. All that was under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Now at 63000 the steering is once again an issue. First the dealer said the noise was caused by the power steering pump but when I reminded them it had been replaced once they decided to check further and now they say it is the rack and pinion; apparently the "steering gear" has failed and repairs will run $1300 or more. But they say it is perfectly safe to drive as is and is not in danger of failing on the highway - its just noisy??? How can that be? I bought this GM because of all the prior GM vehicles we owned. The last was a 3/4-ton van that had 250,000 when we traded it in. We never had these problems with it and expect the same service from this vehicle. I though that our government did the right thing in bailing out GM. Now I seriously wonder. We purchased an American product and our own manufacturer won't stand behind it. With all the bailout money GM received I think their customers deserve much better service."> I intend to complain loudly to every consumer organization I can think of and unless GM fixes this at their cost I won't recommend GM vehicles to anyone else - and I've done that lots of times in the past. And next time I will seriously consider buying a Lexus!
    tickedowner,
    I apologize for your frustrations and concerns. Can you please email me directly? Please include your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, as well as a description of your concerns. I look forward to hearing from you further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • tickedownertickedowner Member Posts: 2
    I would be happy to send the information to you. What is the email address?