Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Mercedes E-Class

2»

Comments

• mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    Great deal; let us know when you get it!
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    My lease for a 2007 BMW 525xi is coming up shortly. I am interested in the 2011 5 series but meanwhile I have looked at the 2010-E class. I have mixed feelings about it. The front looks good, but the rear looks like a cut and paste job from a Hyundai. The interior looks classy, but the seats are low and just could not get a comfortable driving position like the 5 series. I tried a MB with leather seats, and felt it had better support than the vinyl seats. Does anyone out there share my opinion about the driver seating position?

The MB dealer is offering a very aggressive price. The MB may be a bit more refined, but the BMW 5 series offers a bettter balance between luxury, refinement and sportiness. I woud appreciate if current owners of the 2010 E class can share their observations after having driven it for a while.
  • jelmassjelmass Member Posts: 11
    I've had the the E350 4matic with sport package for 2 month now. Very happy with it. Very smooth and sporty. I highly recommend it. I also own a BMW x5, I think it has much softer steering than the X5 specially when maneuvering on low speeds.
  • sambo49sambo49 Member Posts: 47
    jelmass - thank you for your reply. Do you find the driver seat position comfortable when driving over a couple of hours?
  • jackmjackm Member Posts: 1
    I bought a E-Class coupe in Sept. Love the car with one exception. The Continental tires that came standard are very noisy. The noise level is really unacceptable for a MB. I offered to pay the difference between a set of Michelins and the Continentals....they said no. This is my fourth MB and I swear this noise just is not right. If you buy, take a long test drive.( I did not ) I sure would be interested if other 2010 E owners have experienced this.
  • jelmassjelmass Member Posts: 11
    Yes driving seat very confortable. The interior is high end. you can get an extra option with massage seat.
    the interior has the quietness of a Lexus and the spirit of 1980's mercedes.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    Forgot to reply to this earlier...

Was in Germany for ca. 3 weeks. Had a car rental for one day, then later for 9 days. The long rental was supposed to be in a class to give me an E350 CDi, but they were out of those upper-middle cars, so I got an upgrade to a new 7-series. I could have exchanged the car somewhere I guess...but I was comfortable with the big tank.

The first rental was for a normal (Mondeo or 1er) and they didn't have any of those either, so for that one I actually got a new E-class - but a lowline model that would never be seen in NA. I got an E200 CDi. It had cloth interior, and that somewhat loud and slow engine - but did have (small) nav, parktronic, bluetooth, moonroof, etc. . The car had about 2500 miles on it when I got it, and was meticulously assembled and performed flawlessly. I liked the design too...almost a touch of austerity to the interior, reminded me of a W124 - which I have seen the car compared to elsewhere. I think there's a touch of old fashioned MB soul in the car. Very solid car, based on the 200 miles or so I put on it, combined with the raves the car is drawing from the German press...I predict the W212 will be a winner.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. The U.S. reviews have also been positive, in virtually every respect. The only negative I've read, and this surprised me, is the steering feel.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    The lack of forward momentum my rental was able to attain (0-60 had to be over 10 seconds), along with its winter tires, didn't give me any memories of steering feel. It seemed to drive fine to me though.

IMO involved steering input has always been an issue for MB - the cars aren't tuned like BMW. I think the MB target market, who prefers luxury-sport rather than sport-luxury, prefers it, so MB doesn't really change things.

I hope we eventually get some of the diesels available in Europe. IIRC the car handily exceeded 40mpg, nothing to sneeze at.
  • vicvvicv Member Posts: 41
    We took European delivery of my wife's E350 Sport sedan. What a fantastic vehicle. We had to hold it back because of break-in, but it was still impressive. Handling was a delight, power more than adequate, comfortable and quiet in all situations and it felt like it had been carved out of one, large block of metal. And, even in Germany, it got some stares. However, we're very disappointed that MB doesn't offer the direct injection 3.5 in the States and probably in Canada. They have it in the E's for Europe. This will affect our decision when we replace this car in four years. If the arrogant decision-makers in Germany don't feel that Americans deserve the latest technology as their own buyers, then Americans' should not bother with their products. Had we known the DI engine was offered in the E elsewhere, we probably wouldn't have purchased the car. MB needs to think beyone the immediate sale and realize that each car they sell is an intro to the next. That said, the car is still wonderful. But, if you're contemplating buying one, contact MB and tell them you'll buy when they provide the best to us as well as others.

BTW, the European Delivery Program is everything they say it is. We were dropped off at the delivery center by taxi and I nearly tripped over the MB rep who suddenly appeared with a cart for our luggage. The paperwork went well and we really enjoyed the factory tour of the S-class line. There's food at every juncture and lunch was a white-linen affair. Also, you get the car at invoice minus the delivery charge (over $800) and they put you up for a night at one of their pre-selected hotels. We stayed at the Graf Zeppelin in Stuttgart, a five-star hotel, and got an upgrade to boot. It all helps with the cost of the trip.
  • mbusa1mbusa1 Member Posts: 2
    What do you all think about this?
    1) 2010 E350 - P1 option, metallic paint
    2) 39 months lease
    3) 10,000 miles/yr
    3) 3,000 down payment - dealer does not specify if the down payment includes DMV, first month lease payment etc etc
    4) monthly payments of $699 plus CA tax - which comes to about $761/month
    Surely some one is aware of a much better deal some place - willing to get into vehicle this weekend if better deal can be had. Thanks for your input/suggestions.
  • aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    I got my car couple days ago and here is my numbers. You compare for yourself.
    1) 2010 E350 4matic - which is $2,500 more than regular car.
    2) black ( no color charge ), P2 ($6K ), wheel package ( $750 ) , MSRP - $59,xxx
    3) 15,000 miles a year - $2,200 due at sign in ( includes bank fee, first payment and DMV)
    4) monthly payment $775 including NY sales tax.
  • mbusa1mbusa1 Member Posts: 2
    aeggroup:
    Thanks for your prompt response - the side by side comparison makes for an interesting encounter with the dealer. Have a wonderful weekend.
    know of any dealer in northern California/Sacramento area willing to match your numbers? No harm in asking etc etc - you never know!!!
  • aeggroupaeggroup Member Posts: 133
    I can't help you with CA, I'm in NY, but i'm sure you can do better than what you've got. Ask them how much off MSRP. In today's economy it should be no less than $6K off. Money factor ( interst rate ) is 0.00259 for 39 months.
    Good luck.
  • novaguy2005novaguy2005 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all,

Recently got a 2010 E350, and I believe the MPG on it is slightly worse than my 2007 E350 (both cars had RWD). Anyone notice a similar drop off? Thanks!
  • renrelrenrel Member Posts: 2
    1st - are u on the RAMBUS investor village site?

2nd - Did you end up with a lease. If so, what were the numbers? If not, a friend of mine is a car wholesaler that works with the entertainment industry and can definately help you with getting a car. The best part, they deliver to yoru house.
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    Probable cause is ethanol! In 2007, you were probably still running 100% gasoline and now it is up to 10% ethanol. Noticed significant decrease in my cars when they started putting ethanol in it.
    Write your Congressman!
  • retnavretnav Member Posts: 25
    Comment to post 57. I have a 2010 E 350-4matic Luxury model. I do not like the Continental tires either. I don't really notice the noise, but here in Virginia in the cold weather the tires develop flat spots if the car is not driven for a couple of days. I really liked the Michelins on my 2003 and will replace the Continentals when the time comes. I like this car, but it is a P-3 compared to an F-14 ( my 2003). I would like to be able to raise the drivers seat slightly more, and I definitely prefer real leather to the faux leather MB has moved to. My 2010 does not build the black brake dust on the wheels which is real plus. Overall I continue to be an MB fan.
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I understand the CLK replacement is an E350 Cabriolet (convertible) which I've heard will be available in May. Anyone have any ideas if it will be available in 4Matic? Thanks!
  • dkim1dkim1 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my 2010 E 350 4matic in 8/09 after considering 2009 model. I like the new sharper look in the front but the rear could be more defined . I had a chance to drive a C 350 during my last service and noticed that it looks and drives very similar to the new 2010E model. It almost seems that the new 2010 E is a recentl C 350 with little more gadgets.
    Does anyone know how to repair the uneven volume on the satelitte radio vs other functions such as am/fm/disc function? Whenever I change to the satelite station, I have to increased the volume by about 3 notches, then when I change it back to other functions, the volume gets so loud that my ears ache. any suggestions?
  • crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    I answered my own question. I contacted MB and they tell me that the car will not be available in 4matic. Boo Hoo! Who knows, maybe somewhere down the road, but now right away.
    Also considered the 2009, but then saw pics and features of 2010 and waited. Got E350 Luxury with P1, Palladium silver. Very pleased, especially with the features and styling-inside and out.
    Ironically, a lady stopped me in the grocery store parking lot the other day and said "That's the most beautiful car I have ever seen." Exactly and only had the car 10 weeks.
    Didn't get compliments from strangers when I owned Nissan 330Zx, Saab 900 Turbo, Mazda Rx-7 convertible.
    :)
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Sirius signal is weaker-therefore lower volume.
  • uchaczuchacz Member Posts: 1
    Did any one find a Mud flap that will fit on the E-350 sport
  • bacolodbacolod Member Posts: 24
    Yes, you are absolutely right. I show a drop of 2 mpg when I fill up my tank. Its a mix drive of 85% freeway to 15% surface street.
    My previous car was a 2007 E350 compared to my recent 2010 E350.
    Wonder why :confuse:
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Looking at a black E350 Sport 4 matic with Package 1, 5 spoke wheels.. Was able to negotiate for about $3500 under MSRP and the 3.9% financing currently available. Reasonably good deal?
  • golfhardgolfhard Member Posts: 16
    i paid 600 under invoice and i could have done better if i went to NYC...
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Thanks Golfhard...I'd say that was an exceptional deal but the fleet discount certainly added to that. How did you come by that? We felt reasonably good about the deal given we have one dealer in this part of Pennsylvania and didn't want to go Philly for a better deal. Last question of the night....do you find that it's TRULY necessary to use premium? I've always been skeptical of it being presented as a "need".
    edited March 2010
    "Fleet" discounts are available through insurance companies, credit unions and so forth according to posts on other sites. Got $2,000 off through my insurance company after I made my best deal. Often you don't know unless you contact your insurance company or credit union.
    Good luck!
    Two other very good sites are benzworld.com and mbworld.com. For 2010 E class, look under sedans and then W212 (M-B nomenclature for latest E class).
  • golfhardgolfhard Member Posts: 16
    i have always used premium gas and will continue to do so. that is just the way it is with mercedes....

enjoy yours...
  • dannye350dannye350 Member Posts: 30
    Can you post any of the companies, credit unions, etc you know of? Cant seem to find anything on the internet, except some USAA insurance for military.
    Don't recall names, but on another forum people posted their credit unions. Might call any credit unions, clubs or insurance carriers that you use.
    What insurance company?
    Can you tell me what insurance company you have that got you that discount?
    i got a lfeet discount but its only $1000 off
    I think i am getting a good deal. But i thought id throw it out here to see what other say.

MSRP:$59,075

Sale Price: $50,639, with 1000 fleet discount, and $4000 total out of pocket

Payment is $665.00 per month with Michigan Tax 6%
    Term: 39 months
    Miles: 10,000 per month

Money Factor: 0.00259
    Residual: 59
  • mbuster25mbuster25 Member Posts: 14
    I love my E-350 4Matic Luxury. Quiet, luxurious inside, very smooth ride. I don't think it looks bad on the front or side, but do agree that the rear styling is not the best.

I chose Mercedes E350 4matic, after considering BMW 528xi and Lexus GS350 AWD. I chose Mercedes because it was right for me. Each of these cars has some strengths and weaknesses. No car is perfect, and I've had my share of concerns and cost. I think Mercedes and Lexus will cost similarily to maintain or repair.
    I just dropped off my 2009 C300 after a very satisfying 2 year lease. The dealer called my lease 5 month early. He wanted to sell me a 2010 E350. I took the 3 yr lease with free service and negotiated a full 5 yr tire and wheel warrantee included. I have the White Ext/Beige Int - Premium 1 package with the wood steering wheel and the ipod package.

I totally love this car and it's a HUGE upgrade from the 2009 C300. It rides like my S class of 2000!

Mileage is better than I thought, actually looking like it's even better than my C300, I am getting about 21 in mixed driving and 27+ on the highway. That's better than the C300. It's far quieter and more powerful than the C300, the ride is firm and connected to the road yet smooth and comfortable.

The electronics are about the same as the C300 with some notable upgrades;
    - The bluetooth system imported all my iPhone contacts.
    - The ipod in the glove box now shows the contents of my ipod on the main screen. On the C300, it showed only on the dashboard smaller display. It seems to know it's connected to an ipod and has more controls as well.
    - The climate controls are different, not sure if it's better, I miss the "rest" feature from my S500 which would continue to circulate residual warm air for about 1/2 hour after leaving the car, keeping it warm inside while I was gone.
    - The rear shade is standard.
    - The rear headrests have a switch to raise them.
    - They switched from TeleAid to MBrace, which is a clone of TeleAid and a bit more expensive.
    - The FM radio now says "HD" on most stations. It still seems like the same FM channels, I don't see how to tune in separate HD stations, if possible, anyone know?
    - The shifter is gone, as you know, replaced by a control on a steering column stick, leaving an odd feeling of an empty center console.

I was surprised that the ashtray is standard. That whole area could have become an iPhone/Cell Phone holder and power port, which for me would have been a much better use of space.

The center console compartment is huge. It's big enough to fit a laptop.
    There are two new compartments on the front of each seat, under your knees, which are wonderful storage areas for gloves or anything you want, smart use of space.

Overall, this is a great automobile and continues the Mercedes tradition of outstanding engineering. It looks great too! The only negative I can find is the MB plastic seating covers which are "better than leather" I would prefer the leather and I would have liked the option of the ventilated seats which I also miss from my S class.

I have not taken a real road trip yet, in a few weeks I will drive a few hundred miles in an afternoon and I will report back if I find anything interesting.
    Congratulations on your new car. Have had mine about six months and still very impressed with it. Took on a 100 mile road trip in 100 degree/90% humdity and A/C worked very well.
    Have gotten as much as 31 MPG on interstate at 70 MPH with A/C on.
    You must have the Luxury version since the wood steering wheel supposedly only comes on that model. I think the compartments on the front are on the Luxury only as well.
    I've got the Luxury version and much prefer it to the Sports. The exterior styling and lines flow better, grill is more impressive and of course the ride is much better. Also think the interior looks better.
    The ventilated seats are available with the P2 package, but at quite a price increase.
    Try MBwworld.org and Benzworld.org for more forums and information.
    Supposedly the MB Tex vinyl seats are better. I have had leather and had problems and know others who have had durability problems with leather. Per articles in MBCA Star magazine, probably should be treated 2 X's per year with Lexol Vinylex.
  • abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    I have had the same experiences. I had a 2008 and 2009 E350 sport, and now have the 2010 E350 Sport. I get about 25-26 mpg on highway, 15-17 around town. ON my two previous E350's, I got about 28 on the highway and 18 around town. So there is a significant drop in mpg's, both highway and city. That's about 10% worse fuel economy. I don't understand why, since the engines were the same and the transmissions were the same. I believe the 2010 is a little heavier than the others, which may account for the drop in fuel economy.

2021 Genesis G90

• zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Have a 2010 E Class coupe with satellite radio active. Since owning the car for about 4 months, the satellite reception is spotty, frequently giving me the "no service" message on the display. I took it into the dealer and after working on it for 2 days, they told me it was an antenna problem, stating that my nav was not working either. The antenna was replaced and the radio has worked without getting the no service message.

However, tonight I got the message again about 6 times in a 10 minute period. I immediately checked to see if nav was working and found it to be tracking perfectly. So the diagnosisi that it was the antenna seems to be bogus.

Anyone else having similar issues?
    Z
  • gfr1gfr1 Member Posts: 55
    As for the "bogus" comment, it depends on how you determined the GPS antenna is working. Are you aware that OEM installations are normally equipped with vehicle inputs? Such as odometer, to keep you moving along the track and a gyro system to help it along turning maneuvers, etc., such as while you are going through tunnels, parking garages, tall buildings, etc. You might notice that portable units fail in many of those conditions, while installed units keep right on trucking. Then, most modern GPS nav system follow the displayed street/road track until you deviate from that track by a predetermined amount (such as leaving the displayed road). So, short term, as far as the unit apparently tracking, you need to see if it's getting a signal, or just tracking along. -- GFR1
    Have gotten as much as 32 MPG on interstate, some hills, using cruise on 65.
    2010 is probably heavier because all the comfort, technology, safety, emissions, etc. changes keep adding weight. Also depends on how much ethanol was in the fuel you used for prior testing vs. now. In a previous car, I lost almost 10% in MPG when I had to start using E90.
    BTW, feds have mandated all gas stations must start selling E85 in very near future. Up to them if they want to install extra tanks, extra pumps, etc. to keep selling E90. Also distributors would have to double number of tank trucks and drivers probably.
    So, expect your MPG to go down some more.
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    I took delivery of a 2010 E350 two weeks ago. I receive a call from the dealer telling me that the car has a major recall and I should take it back to the dealer ASAP. Has something to do with the power steering. Have any of you experienced this issue?
    Not yet - sounds like a recall to fix something so power steering works properly. I doubt that it's something to panic over.
    Z
    edited October 2010
    Not a major recall compared to ones for Toyota, Lexus, BMW, etc. Apparently the coupling where the the fluid line joins power steering pump may not have been torqued properly when assembled. Dealers will check and torque appropriately.
    If no fluid leaking out, you probably do not have a problem, but if concerned let dealer check it out.
    Visit MBworld.com for more detailed comments.
    Appears that most car companies have learned from the Toyota/Lexus situation. When in doubt, RECALL. Many of the current recalls would have been handled with TSB's in the past, IF a problem shows.
    Be grateful your dealer called you. Most M-B dealers wait for MBUSA to send out letters.
    BTW, congrats on getting a great car! :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter wants to talk with someone who is deciding between a new Lexus, BMW and/or Mercedes. Please email pr@edmunds.com asap with your daytime contact info, your city and state, and the vehicle models currently under your consideration.
This discussion has been closed.