Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2010 VW Polo

hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
edited March 2014 in Volkswagen
The new model displayed at the Geneva Auto Show and the description of it are very promising.

Comments

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    makes the old one look positively frumpy! Check out the gallery here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/03/geneva-2009-2010-volkswagen-polo/

And 62 mpg for the 88 hp diesel! I don't know what a BlueMotion Polo will sticker at, but it will be on my watch list for sure.

This article
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswagen-polo.html
    mentions that the other prospective engine for the U.S. is the 103 hp TSI, tentatively rated at 43 mpg. That's the twin-turbocharged one. With weight down from the previous model, it ought to be a real hoot to drive with more than 100 hp. :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "Volkswagen plans to sell two versions of its Polo compact car in the United States: a sedan smaller than the current Jetta and a four-door hatchback roomier than the one shown this month at the Geneva auto show.

Both versions would be designed especially for the United States, said Volkswagen Group of America CEO Stefan Jacoby. Sales could start in 2011, he said.

Jacoby spoke to Automotive News at the Geneva auto show, where VW unveiled its redesigned Polo hatchback.

Though larger than its predecessor, the fifth-generation Polo is still too small for the American market, Jacoby said.

He said a U.S. version would be taller and sit on a longer wheelbase than the European model.

'It's more like a cross between a compact minivan and a hatchback. In other words, it's more like the Honda Fit,' Jacoby said.

A 2009 Honda Fit four-door hatchback with a base model 1.4-liter engine starts at $15,420. The similar-sized Toyota Yaris four-door hatchback starts at $14,025. Both prices include freight. The Yaris also comes as a sedan.

Jacoby said the Polo must be priced between $13,000 and $15,000 in the United States. For that price to be possible, VW will have to produce the car in North America, he said, probably at VW's factory in Puebla, Mexico.

On pricing, Jacoby said: 'We have to come in at the sweet spot of this market or else it makes no sense — and we come too close to the Jetta.' "

Although VW probably understands the American market, I'm disappointed that the smaller European Polo hatchback (the one displayed in Geneva) won't be among the models offered in the U.S., to compete more with the Yaris hatchback.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    neil733neil733 Member Posts: 9
    I'm very interested in the 105PS 1.6TDi.
    It's available in France and Germany, but here in the UK VW refuse to admit it exists.
    Looks like I might have to try the Seat Ibiza instead.
  • Options
    hugo_diego007hugo_diego007 Member Posts: 2
    VW's small strong engine is fantastic. In us it still need some time to check the reliability i think.
This discussion has been closed.