Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• pcgeek86pcgeek86 Member Posts: 72
    Hello raydahs,

You're quite welcome for all the videos! I just got done jacking up the car and shot a video of the oil filter location. It's currently uploading to Youtube, and I will post back with its URL upon completion.

Cheers,
    -Trevor
    Here's the video ... sorry I couldn't get a great view of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMCT3Jv_aM

Cheers,
    -Trevor
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for taking the time to show this Trevor! I know most people wouldn't appreciate this simple little feature, but I do all of the maintenance on my vehicles. It's nice to see they didn't stop at the Industrial design side of things...actually thinking of the guy who had to work on it!
    edited March 2010
    Just one reason I love Hyundai :)

Edit: Note, I don't work on my own vehicle.

-Trevor
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    There seems to be oil seepage from the filter gasket down the filter to the bottom. Best check the filter for tightness. Give it a twist by hand with a latex glove on.
    Thanks for pointing that out!

-Trevor
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    Yes, I forgot to say thank you to you for all your youtube clips. I really enjoyed them even though I have my own... :)

About the heated seat, I turned it on yesterday. This morning, when I jumped on the car and seat was cold. So when I tried to turn it on, I noticed light on the button was on and realized that I didn't turn it off yesterday. That means heated seat function is off when engine is off or when iginition is NOT in ON mode.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Edmunds full test is up but they decided to go with the GLS ..

http://www.insideline.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/2011-hyundai-sonata-full-test.html-

Sounds like the reviewer would have been more content with an SE.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    "Twenty-thousand dollars is too little to pay for this 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS.

This is a vast amount of car to be getting for such small money."

I don't think so. I think the competition is charging way too much.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    From Edmund's review; don't shoot the messenger:

Yet as we drive our 2011 Sonata GLS, that checklist is never far from mind. The drivetrain, steering and suspension all feel like separate elements that never quite unify into a whole.

"The steering is so isolated from what's actually happening, the slalom becomes a visual exercise rather than one of feel," says our resident track-test driver.

Hyundai now has an engine that goes toe-to-toe with Volkswagen's beloved 2.0T in both power and fuel consumption. First of all, this normally aspirated engine makes 198 hp at 6,300 rpm, close to the VW's output. It also has a similar collection of not-so-pleasant sounds at idle and under heavy throttle that are characteristic of direct-injected engines.

Ride Is a Bit Underdone, Too
    Of course, then you hit a bump and the suspension gets out of sorts. Maybe it's just the lumpy back road, but later you're on the freeway, and there's still too much movement over garden-variety seams and ruts. The damping just isn't quite right on our GLS tester. Ride quality feels less solid and sophisticated than on rivals like the Mazda 6 and Honda Accord.

http://www.carguideweb.com/articles/7125/

Sounds like the GLS drives just fine ...

Driving the Sonata is pleasant. While it’s not the sportiest ride, it’s comfortable and, above all, very quiet.

Behind the wheel, you’ll discover that the electronic steering is a little loose, as is often the case with this type of steering. However, it doesn’t seem to be so bad at higher speeds. In terms of the suspension, you’ll find the same configuration as the previous generation Sonata, except for somewhat firmer suspension springs. That explains why it’s more comfortable than sporty, much like its Japanese counterparts.
    edited March 2010
    But this site is Edmunds, and the review I listed excerpts from, is an Edmunds review.

I don't think it's a stretch AT ALL to state that Edmund's review of the 2011 Sonata was not exactly glowing.

They knocked the engine noise, numb steering, worse than Accord or Mazda6 suspension, and EVEN THE SOLIDITY of the Sonata, as well as the interior plastics quality.

At least NO ONE can credibly claim that Edmunds is bought off by advertising money.

In fact, Edmund's appears to have credibility, now more than ever, on auto issues, whether reviews of cars or analyses of Toyota UA complaints.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    They also said that it should cost more than it does. That tells me that they feel the positives outweigh the negatives.

Anyone concerned with getting sportscar handling out of a family sedan is shopping at the wrong places, anyway.

Looks like my Limited has finally arrived at the dealer. I should be picking it up tonight.
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2010
    Wasn't someone on here looking for a LTD w/Nav Black w/black?

Here's the deal, my dealer keeps trying to sell me everything but what I want. I want Silver w/black and my dealer said it couldn't be found but he found a Black w/black. I got an e-mail saying the car will arrive tomorrow.

I don't want Black, I want Silver, but they are not listening to me, so I called my credit card co. to charge back my deposit w/this dealer. So if someone is looking for this car let me know and I'll give you the name of the dealer and you can have your dealer call them.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    At least NO ONE can credibly claim that Edmunds is bought off by advertising money.

Can you credibly claim that any other specific auto site, magazine or newspaper autowriters are bought off by advertising money? If you can, do you have proof or does it just depend on whether you agree with them or not?

Just because this is an Edmunds forum, it's reviews don't automatically have more credibility. A lot of times two autowriters can come up with different feels based on their personal preferences. Is there anything at all that you like about the new Sonata?
  • ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    Did you also read the rest of the review: "The car not only feels more nimble, it feels more refined, too. Obviously it pays in terms of acceleration and gas mileage as well, but it's the overall feel that really impressed me.

I'd say it's as close to a Honda Accord as any Sonata has ever been, and that's no dig. Toss in other significant upgrades like the interior, the performance and the features and this Sonata really is a top-tier sedan."
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    What a bunch of bunk...... Why doesn't he test an SE?

Funny other reviews don't have a coronary over this.

Why doesn't he compare the warranties of Honda and Mazda to Hyundai!

Why doesn't he compare thePrices of Honda and Mazda to Hyundai!
    Yea, the second opinion sounded like a completely different review...
    edited March 2010
    Driving the Sonata is pleasant. While it’s not the sportiest ride, it’s comfortable and, above all, very quiet.

Congratulations to Hyundai. They achieved exactly what they set out to do with the GLS.

I don't understand why Edmunds tested the GLS, and critiqued the handling as though it should handle like the SE and the interior like the Limited. That's why they make the SE and Limited. :blush:
    My black/black w/nav arrived at the dealer today. I saw it on the truck and compared VIN numbers with my paperwork.

Should be picking it up after work today once it clears PDI.
    My black/black w/nav arrived at the dealer today. I saw it on the truck and compared VIN numbers with my paperwork.

Congratulations! You've waited patiently, and I hope you enjoy the car!
  • shuale_ejsshuale_ejs Member Posts: 115
    Congrats!!! Enjoy.
    I missed this from review but m6user posted this in the 2.0 sedan thread which I thought was relevant here .. nice to know the Sonata is fast enough.

Interesting that everyone was screaming about the 0-60 time when watching a video of the race between the '11 Sonata and the Camry. Here are some times that will probably put to rest any notions that the DI I4 is gutless.

Edmunds '11 Sonata 7.7 secs
    Edmunds 09 Accord LX-P 9.1 secs
    Edmunds 10 Kizashi 9.1 secs
    Edmunds 10 Legacy 9.4 secs
    Edmunds Fusion SEL V6 7.3 secs
    CR 09 Camry LE 9.4 secs
    Edmunds 09 Sonata LTD I4 9.8

I would say it gives a pretty respectable showing and certainly would beat a Camry I4 easily. Not that I personally care very much about 0-60 times(now 60-0 is a different story) but a lot of people were bashing the new Sonata because of those videos.
    Thanks! I hope I'm not disappointed.
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    edited March 2010
    I like the fact that Edmunds gave a critical reviews on where the Sonata can improve. I'm thinking specifically of their review of the new fusion in which they said Ford addressed all the issues they had with that car. Hopefully Huyndai can do the same here if necessary. Or, buyers can simply move up to the SE or Limited and maybe those concerns are gone.

Mike, you seem to be either the skeptic, overly cautious or the one to enjoy schadenfreude, not sure which. But you have what you seek, a critical review that points out that no the 2011 Sonata is not the perfect mid sized sedan. So maybe cross it off your list and move on to a car you feel you'd enjoy more if it exists.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes. It's really odd I think that the Edmunds review focused on the GLS, when they expressed a clear preference for the way the SE drives. They even made the strange remark that Hyundai should put $2000 more into the car. Yet they did that, with the SE version that Edmunds said handles fine. Kinda puzzling. If they wanted to compare like-priced cars, they could have compared the SE to the Accord LX-P and Mazda6i Touring and seen what the result was. Edmunds did that a few years ago with a like-priced 2006 Sonata, Accord, and Camry. But the Sonata was a V6 and the Accord and Camry I4s. The Sonata blew the other two away.
  • napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    I personally don't get too hung up on any critical comments in the reviews. That's what they get paid to do. And frankly, any car first year out will have some things to continue working on.

I've had my 2011 Sonata Limited for only a week and 300 miles driving so far, but I LOVE this car. The criticisms in the reviews don't bother me, as I don't really notice anything in my personal experience that bothers me. To me, this is A LOT of car for the money. If I wanted perfection, I'd go spend twice as much. In my book, this 2011 Sonata, as an affordable mid-sized family sedan, delivers VERY GOOD value for the money. And that's good enough for me. It's a great car in my book.
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    isn't the GLS the best selling model? Perhaps thats why they did a review on it. I'm eager to see some comparison tests done because like any new model, they all get great praise when they first come out, all of them are declared "standouts" or "game changers" until a comparison test is done. Same things were said about the Fusion in 05, Altima in 06, etc. etc.

I'm not saying that the Sonata isn't a great car, and I'm not saying that it isn't the best in class, I just want to see comparisons. Love the fact that the Sonata is loaded with feature content (especially the LTD models) so its definitely on my short list of sedans for consideration.
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    Two things to consider about the Edmunds review.

First, the reviewer drove the GLS with the manual transmission, which he didn't care for. He also said that the automatic transmission would give much better performance. I'll bet that 90% of the purchasers of the GLS will opt for the automatic transmission - I know I will.

Second, did you see that another Edmunds person did a second opinion? And it was very, very positive.
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    Not sure bashing was the right word for describing the earlier discussion on 0-60. Most people were just surprised by the slow 0-60 mark that one of the reviews turned in, given that the Sonata has a better power to weight ratio than any other I4 car in the segment.

While 0-60 is not a main selling point for cars in this segment, it's still an indicator of performance. I'm glad to see it's getting better numbers in other tests.
    My dealer found a black GLS with a gray interior and option 2 (power seat, auto headlights).

So I'm going to head over there tomorrow and pick it up!

While my first choice was harbor gray, black is pretty nice to my eyes.
  • napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2010
    This is just a small thing, but nicely done nonetheless. I notice that when I play my music over Bluetooth from my Blackberry Storm (which really works great, by the way), that I have to crank up the volume quite a bit higher than with the FM stations. But then it does indeed sound crisp and clear and great. But I was worried that I'd be blasted as I changed back to FM.

Nope. The audio system remembers your "previous volume setteing" for the AUX and the RADIO settings SEPARATELY, so it automatically sets the volume back lower for FM. So it plays both the FM stations and the MP3 music at the right volumes, respectively, and it is "safe" to switch between modes.

A detail, but a nice little piece of engineering common sense. I imagine other cars do the same thing these days, but none of the cars I had ever owned, that's for sure.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    From the Edmunds review :

"But with the new six-speed automatic transmission (which has no such throttle-dampening), we're betting the Sonata would close in on the Volkswagen CC as well as the VW Passat, which are good for acceleration to 60 mph from a standstill in 7.3 seconds and a quarter-mile of 15.2 seconds at 92.0 mph."

Also see my video in the SE - about 7.2 seconds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR9C0RXF9dY

"We had no such qualms about the 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE we've previously driven, so it may be that the higher-rate springs and extra rebound damping on that model offer a better overall compromise between ride and handling. The SE, you'll recall, also has a different wheel/tire package, with P225/45R18 tires on lightweight cast-aluminum wheels."
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    I tested it between XM Radio an HD Radio... It didn't work in that way on mine. Maybe because both were "Radio" stations? I will test it between Radio and iPod tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
  • pochirajupochiraju Member Posts: 19
    hello all,

i am planning to buy a new car and debating if i shud buy 2011 sonata. my main issue is the less resale value of the car. please can you advice more about the resale value of sonata.

thank u
    sandy
    please can you advice more about the resale value of sonata.

I bet the 2011 Sonata will have a higher resale value than previous versions.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Don't worry about mikemartin. He's a Hyundai hater that has been bad mouthing the 2011 Sonata all along.

Edmunds reviews are typically a joke and this one is no exception. They test a car that's widely available for $19K and totally spanks the competition in every respect, they have to find something to complain about.

Like has been mentioned a dozen times already, Edmunds should have tested an AT version with Option Group 2 (16" alloy wheels, power driver seat, driver's lumbar support, auto headlight control, chrome door handles and leatherette inserts) that STICKERS for $21.6K and can be had for $20K now!

It's really no contest. The Sonata wins hands down.
    edited March 2010
    Edmunds reviews are typically a joke and this one is no exception. They test a car that's widely available for $19K and totally spanks the competition in every respect, they have to find something to complain about.

That's just hilarious. Edmunds was objective in its review and now "Edmunds reviews are typically a joke and this one is no exception."

What other Edmunds reviews are "jokes" in your esteemed opinion?

Edmunds reviews are actually pretty comprehensive and objective, in reality, and they found MANY "SOMETHINGS" to complain about with the 2011 Sonata (read the review).

Don't be an Edmunds hater who badmouths Edmunds because you don't share their opinion.

Thanks.

Sandy - My best advice to you is that if you don't need a car immediately, wait for the inevitable rebates and incentives that will flow once the 2011 Sonata is in full production cycle, and DO NOT let many of the car salesmen who seem to hang out in these forums allow you to think that prices have anywhere to go but down.

This is a new model, with a lot of buzz, and the hype never lasts in these situations. History has proven this in every such situation.

1.5k off of MSRP is not that much relatively speaking, even at the 20k price level. Many cars sell for 2.5k to 4k off sticker in the 20k to 25k price range.

No need to rush.
  • pochirajupochiraju Member Posts: 19
    hello all,

i am planning to buy a new car and debating if i shud buy 2011 sonata. my main issue is the less resale value of the car. please can you advice more about the resale value of sonata.

thank u
    sandy
  • redhat381redhat381 Member Posts: 26
    The best estimate for resale value is published by ALG (Auto Lease Guide, I think), and they estimate that the 2011 Sonata will have 54% residual value after 3 years. That's excellent. I think only the Accord's higher at 55 or 56% if I remember correctly. You might want to trace some of the discussions that took place earlier, starting from post #322.
    What other Edmunds reviews are "jokes" in your esteemed opinion?

Most of them. Wait until the real reviews come out and find out for yourself. Edmunds picked a model very few people will buy and still found little to dislike. They were probably upset Hyundai wouldn't give them a car so the bought the cheapest one they could find. :P

You get on here and run your mouth about how bad Hyundai products are all day long. Your comments are worthless so why don't hang up keyboard and/or get a clue. It's clear you hate Hyundai. That has been demonstrated by every post you've made in this thread. :mad:
    Sandy: If you like the Sonata then negotiate the best deal you can get when you're ready to buy. You should be able to get close to 10% off MRSP.

And whatever you do don't listen to this mikemartin clown. His comments and advice are worthless. If you want to wait and buy a 2011 next year, then you could certainly get another $500-$1,000 off today's prices but by then the car will be a year old and worth much less anyway.
    edited March 2010
    A select few of you who are apparently upset about the Edmunds review that found a lot to fault with the 2011 Sonata should not blame me.

In fact, you shouldn't blame Edmunds, either.

You should politely state your objections and disagreements with Edmunds review like real men, and go about your business, rather than whine and cry.

Sandy, the 2011 later this year, and the 2012 Sonata will almost certainly have much higher cash on the hood for consumers.

Don't listen to salesmen trying to rush you. They don't have your interests in mind.

You should also test drive the 2010 Sonata, as it can be had for as little as $14,700 new, and some reviews state a preference for the 2010 model year.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2010
    The way I read the review is that they basically didn't like the manual transmission (only in 2% of the cars) and some minor complaints about the electronic steering. Why don't you ready the driving impressions from the Edmunds page (look for the link to your right)

Driving Impressions

With its well-balanced chassis, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata provides both a supple ride and sure-footed handling. In this sense, it rivals similarly sporty family sedans such as the Altima and Mazda 6. The steering is well-weighted at normal driving speeds and lightens up considerably at low speeds (to ease parking maneuvers) -- perhaps too much for enthusiasts, though this is a minor gripe at best.

With its spirited performance, the 2.4-liter four should be enough to make most people forget that there's not a V6 option; it pulls willingly and smoothly right up to the tach's redline. Gearshifts from the automatic are seamless and it steps down when needed for quick passing or merging. Shift quality with the manual transmission, however, is disappointing due to some jerkiness during upshifts.

Interior Design and Special Features

Fit and finish of the cabin is very good, even though the Sonata uses more hard plastic trim on the doors than most rivals. The controls operate with a feel and precision befitting a more expensive car. The Limited trim level is particularly upscale, with its wood grain accents and padded door panels.

Now classified as a large car, the Sonata boasts enough room to allow four adults to stretch out and enjoy the ride. As with most cars, five will fit, though the rear middle passenger won't be as comfortable as the others. The trunk's capacity is at the top of the class, with 16.4 cubic feet of capacity.
    Someone asked a few pages back about the voice command and changing radio stations. According to the manual, you can say one of these 2 things:

"FM Frequency 96.5" OR

"FM 1 Preset 3"

I'll be posting more about the car later.
    Now classified as a large car, the Sonata boasts enough room to allow four adults to stretch out

"Now" classified as a large car? The Sonata has been classified as a large car since 2005. :blush:

Makes you wonder what else Edmunds reviewers don't know.
    You should also test drive the 2010 Sonata, as it can be had for as little as $14,700 new, and some reviews state a preference for the 2010 model year.

I test drove the two models, the 2010 first and the 2011 directly thereafter. There's no comparison - the 2011 is better by far. Much better power, much better handling, much more comfortable front seat, much nicer interior. The only area where I found a similarity is in quietness of ride - both were very quiet.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    This one sounds pretty good to me!!

http://www.edmunds.com/hyundai/sonata/2011/review.html
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Also, although there are only 12 owner reviews to date, I don't recall seeing a 9.9 rating on ANY car here at Edmunds before. Of course, it's early... but most buyers find something to which to apply "buyer's remorse." ;)
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Sandy, while resale value of the new design should be higher than the last generation, you should determine how much the resale value factor actually matters in your situation.

For instance, if you tend to replace your cars every 3-5 years, resale should factor into the equation. But if you tend to hold onto your vehicles for longer, like 8+ years, it's much less of an issue and can actually work against you. My example: I bought a sedan in 1999. The comparably equipped Camry was $3,000 more. 10 years & 150K miles later and my sedan has depreciated a fair bit but the Camry had as well and the trade-in price difference was only $2000. So while the Camry had a higher resale value, it would actually have cost $1000 more to own over the life of my ownership.

The point is, resale value as a percentage of new car cost doesn't matter. What matters is how much the vehicle depreciates in dollars (and that depreciation should use the actual sale price - not MSRP - as a starting point). And even then, that's not the whole story. There will be differences in how much the cars cost to insure, how much maintenance they take, whether repairs are covered under warranty (i.e. warranty length), and so on. Use a tool like Edmund's TCO as a baseline and create a spreadsheet to tabulate the costs of the cars you're considering.

Finances aside, don't forget to find a car you can live with. Comfortable seats, adequate storage space for people and your stuff, the features you need/want (bluetooth, decent stereo, moon roof, leather, room for child seats, etc.), the fuel economy & safety ratings you desire, and so on. You'll never be happy with your ownership experience if you buy something that isn't quite what you need.

IMO, you should put the Sonata on your list of vehicles to look at. Compare it to the others in it's class; check out the Midsize Sedans 2.0 thread here in the forums and look at the messages for the other models you're considering. There are lots of good cars to choose from.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)