Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• akeiyakeiy Member Posts: 22
    It's a pretty good deal. There's a lot of competition among car dealers in my area, Northern Virginia, so that may account for the lower price.

I am in Houston. Here are 5 dealers. But it seems that the dealer are not very eager to sell the 2011 sonata. Sigh.....
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    In reply to "There are plenty of Sonatas out there with camel cloth interior. Not so many/none with camel leather. "

Actually,,,, none at the moment. :(
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    The car looks so good with the black accents and the black leather it's just ridiculous. To each his own though, I guess.
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    Thanks!
  • lancep97lancep97 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the correction. The dealerships here in Houston have the camel cloth.. but no camel leather.. yet.
  • sanfromvasanfromva Member Posts: 14
    I've read thru this forum and found some very helpful info. Thanks for all the pictures and videos you guys have posted. I am in Northern VA and looking to buy a car. I was thinking for a compact due to mpg but then 2011 Sonata came along :)

I have few questions and may be some of you can help me.
    a) How rough SE is in terms of passengers experiencing every bump in the cabin. Keep in mind I have an infant, so would it be uncomfortable/unsafe for the baby?
    2) Based on what you guys have written about GLS, I am being inclined towards SE or Limited. In case of SE I may buy while for Limited I may lease. What are the monthly lease payments for people who have recently leased

I've seen some too-good-to-be-true numbers listed on a local dealer's website..pretty much 3500 to 4K below MSRP. Will check them out after I hear from you. Thanks!!
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    I am in Northern VA and looking to buy a car.

I had a good experience with Steve Choi of Fairfax Hyundai.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited March 2010
    So you're surmising that there could be a noticeable difference in the ride/handling of the GLS vs. Limited because the non SE suspension was really calibrated for the LTD''s wheel/tire package and that the LTD's drive should be better because of it? Interesting. Would like to know if this is an actuality.

I don't recall the difference in the older version of the Sonata being much between the GLS and the LTD. Maybe quieter due to some extra sound deadening int LTD but that's about it.
    IMO to your questions:

a) The SE would be a little less soft of ride but is certainly not a rough ride. Kids ride in pickups without a problem so safety is just not an issue unless you have one really fragile kid.

2?? really don't understand why about 2k would make the difference between buying and leasing but there is a "prices paid and buying experience thread here on Edmunds you could check. There may be some more info there.

The local dealer may be advertising 2010 Sonata's, not 2011s. I've not heard of anybody in the country advertising 2011s at anything close to that 3-4k under MSRP for 2011s. I think you're mistaken on that one.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I have an SE, and the ride is not rough. The Limited or GLS has a slight bit less road noise, but all three are excellent in terms of noise and ride quality. The SE also has a better handling, and nothing will keep your baby safer than staying connected to the road.
    I just saw my first commercial for the 2011 Sonata. As usual Jeff Bridges did the narration, largely quoting from car reviews, including Edmunds. The car they chose for the commercial was the black one - like mine.

Woohoo!

The commercial was very well done. Makes me want to go out and buy another one!
    Thanks, I will check prices paid forum. Reason I asked here because I thought I saw someone post lease rates here too.

Any more SE owners here?

In re to your comment re me being mistaken on the prices: Fairfax Hyundai has 2011 Sonata's advertised on their site 3500-4K below MSRP. Yes 2011. However, as I had said they are too good to be true. They have mixed reviews so it is hard to tell until I request a quote.
    edited March 2010
    I was just pointing out the "prices paid" thread as an additional place to look, not instead of.

You're right about Fairfax, just checked their site. Wow. That amazes me. People on here have been pretty elated to get 2k off. They have a Limited on their site that is over $4100 off MSRP. Does anybody know if they are on the up and up? OR do they charge like $900 dealer fee and are those price all inclusive, ie no add-on for "destination charge" or do they include rebates that most people don't qualify for. If they are on the level like Fitzmall....those are great prices for this new of vehicle.
    I didn't have a problem with Fairfax Hyundai and I thought they gave me a good price. But I wasn't interested in any particular car from the website.

I don't think the website prices include any options. Also you have to add tax and freight.
    Don't know what you mean by options. Do you mean like paint sealant, pinstripes, etc. etc or real Hyundai options like NAV and stuff. I do believe the cars are with different options or they wouldn't be different prices. Of course you have to add tax but destination charge is part of the MSRP. Never heard of freight, I guess you probably mean the "destination charge".

In in fact they are selling at these prices with destination included and no outlandish dealer fees, they are very, very good prices.

For awhile last year Fitzmall was selling Jetta TDIs for outlandishly low prices for about two months and then they raised their prices more in line with other discounters. Those people that bought during that time span got some really good deals. This may be a similar case. The dealer may be just trying to really blow them out.
  • ramkatramkat Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2010
    m6user, Yes surmising is the correct term. But lets think about it. Unsprung mass is one of the important parameters in a suspension design which has to be matched to a suspension in order to get a good balance between a quality ride and good road holding. In the SE they opted for a balance towards the sporty side. In the other suspension Hyundai opted for a balance towards the comfy side. Even though the difference may be small by just changing the unsprung mass, as a designer, who would you give the benefit of the difference, the buyer who is willing to pay a $6000 premium for his ride or the person looking for value for money.
    Fellow 2011 owners, what do you think about the blind spot on our car? I had to turn left across an intersection yesterday, and it was interesting to say the least thanks to the sloping roof and smaller back windows.
    Don't know what you mean by options

Like the popular equipment package (power seat, etc). Also paint protection and any other extra the dealer can convince you to buy.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    edited March 2010
    what do you think about the blind spot on our car?

Welcome to 2010, where that problem is very common in all cars. It's a price you pay for a sexy roof line and high tail lights. You'll get used to it, but I agree it's a problem.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Finally saw the GLS today when I dropped off my 2007 Sonata for some work. A black base model, no options except AT, was in the shop. I was glad to see that Hyundai made the plastic wheel covers attractive; in fact, at first I thought they were alloys. So no need for alloys (for me)--they just get scuffed up on curbs anyway. Second, I thought the body-color grille with chrome surround was sharp--not as prominent as the all-chrome grille. But the grey interior with the patterned inserts was cheap looking, which was my impression of the SE's seats which have the same cloth inserts as the GLS. So I would definitely need to go with the camel cloth interior. From the brochure it appears to be more monocolor than the grey interior--no cross-woven inserts. Can someone who has seen the camel cloth interior confirm that, and how did it look to you? I think the camel interior would brighten up the inside considerably also compared to the black/grey interior.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Just hit the gas and go. That's why we have insurance!!!

Seriously, it's no worse than other cars on the road, for me. For me is the key. The Sonata has a lot more head room than most cars. So, for me, I usually have to scrunch down to see out the side windows on any car I have. It's no worse in the Sonata.

But when you talk about the blind spot, you're typically talking about the area around the C pillar. It's not that bad. Again, no worse than almost any other car out there in it's class. I felt it was much worse in the Fusion I test drove.
    I may be alone on this, but I don't like camel-type interiors at all. However, I like it even less on the darker cars.

You have the dark exterior and the dark dashboard and side panels and then the camel cloth starts. It looks incongruous and out of place.

If you decide to get a GLS, pay the $900 and get aftermarket leather from the dealer.
    You're right about people being elated to get 2K less than MSRP. Some reviews that came when I googled their name mention "their website prices are bogus and include rebates you won't qualify for". I haven't tried them yet so can't form an opinion yet.
  • chronochrono Member Posts: 149
    Another good review, I'm not sure we need to keep a tally because looks like 99% of the reviews are positive.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2010-03-11-test-drive-review-- hyundai-sonata_N.htm

So were other key elements:

•Steering was firm, quite so in the SE, and kept the car pointed straight until the driver commanded otherwise. So simple; so rare among cars.

If you like over-boosted power steering, the front-wheels-on-ice steering feel, Sonata's not your car.

•Suspension also was generally firm, again very much so in the SE, and cornering response was commensurately satisfying. No sweat handling tight, twisting freeway off-ramps approached at high speed.

•Brakes were delightful. Push 'em a little, slow a lot. Nothing spongy, vague or tentative. Very nice.

Classy interior and smooth-operating, firm-feeling controls were more like you'd expect in a near-luxury car. Even just operating the turn signal stalk or pulling the shift lever into gear could generate a tiny shiver of delight.

---
    The 2011 Sonata accomplishes a mighty pair of feats.

It gives buyers a huge amount of refinement, driving enjoyment, comfort and style for not a lot of money.

And it forces other automakers to confront, and match or trump, Sonata's package of attributes, which may be the new benchmark for midsize (roughly) family sedans: four-cylinder engine with direct injection and at least 200 hp, 35 mpg or more rating on the highway, six-speed automatic (instead of the five-speeds most still use) and a $20,000 starting price.
    I like camel and especially camel/black if it's done right. It can look cheap if not done right. I got a ride home from the dealership today in a silver blue 2010 Sonata with the camel cloth interior and I thought it looked pretty sharp, with the contrasting black dash and other black trim. And it makes the cabin more airy feeling than a dark interior.

Another possible problem with camel cloth is it will show dirt (but not lint) more than black or grey. So I wouldn't have camel if I had small kids etc. I don't have that problem anymore.

I actually prefer cloth over leather. It's more grippy and feels warmer in the winter (bun warmers help of course) and cooler in the summer (and the Sonata doesn't have seat coolers). Plus I really don't need/want all the bells and whistles (and extra cost) of the Limited; the GLS is plenty of car for me. With aftermarket leather, I'd worry they'd mess up the OCS and side airbag system. Also I don't think $900 aftermarket leather would include bun warmers, would it? That is a necessity for cold climates as in MN.
  • napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    I've only had the 2011 for a week, but like you, I am still getting adjusted to the visibility which is not as good in the Sonata compared to my previous vehicle (a minivan, not a fair comparison :) Plus I am newer to bifocals, which doesn't help. I believe it is "not too bad" and that I will learn how to adjust. But like you, I do notice that the narrower roof lines does impact visibility a bit and will take some getting used to.
    As I always say, to each his own. To me, light colored interiors are for girls or rental cars. With the LTD, I don't have to worry about the seat being too cold--it comes with the heated seats.

The camel interior, the wine interior, cloth seats and the red/silver blue pearl exteriors aren't for me, but I'm glad they have something for every aesthetic sensibility.
    I'm not questioning the theory or the physics. I'm asking if anyone knows if there is a big difference between the ride and handling characteristics of the GLS vs. the Ltd. To my knowledge, there were no reported major differences between the previous version GLS/Ltd.

I totally agree that it would be nice(and logical) if the more expensive Ltd had better ride/handling. I'm just wondering if anyone can actually notice it.
    There WAS a significant difference in ride on the 2006-10 GLS vs. Limited if only because of the 16" vs. 17" wheels on the cars. I noticed a slightly firmer ride and more tire noise with the LX/Limited vs. the GLS with taller sidewalls. I've driven over a dozen of those cars over the years in GLS and LX/Limited trims. It's possible (likely?) there will be a similar difference with the 2011, but I haven't driven it yet.
    That's what I'm trying to determine from owners of the 2011. Is there a significant difference or a very minor difference? Obviously, if I were to be ready to buy something right now I would be test driving the heck out of both but for research I'm looking to owners.

I guess it can be different for different people. When I test drove the GLS and Ltd back in 2007, I didn't notice a major difference in the handling between the two. The SE was noticeably different and rightfully so. But that was on a couple of test drives and a salesperson gabbing so loud pointing out interior features it was hard to concentrate on the drive.
    I don't know how many people are going to be able to help you with your request, as it is unlikely that someone test drove both of those models. Cost conscious shoppers most likely test drove only a GLS and feature-oriented shoppers most likely test drove only the Limited.
    There was just someone a few posts back that was crossshopping the two of them. She was going to maybe buy the GLS or lease the LTD? I test drove both back in 2007 so I know there are a few people. But you're right, may not be able to get a definitive answer here.
  • darkhelmet16darkhelmet16 Member Posts: 13
    When I'm truly in the market for a new car (sometime this year, I think, but I like to drive cars more or less 'til they die), I'm 99% set on a 2011 Sonata Limited. I'm looking forward to seeing the Venetian Red / Camel leather in person :-D

As for cloth v. leather, normally I would agree with you that cloth grips better, but having sat in a Limited at the Chicago Auto Show I was very surprised at how grippy the leather was. Maybe that'll wear down and get smoother over time, but I definitely did not feel like I could just slide across the seat (like, for example, in my dad's 2004 A6). I look forward to taking a test drive to see how it holds one's body in place in turns, but I would guess the answer is "quite well."

Having also sat in an SE with gray interior and a GLS with the camel cloth interior, I definitely agree with others who have said the camel cloth feels much more upscale than the gray cross-woven cloth. It's firmer, smoother and doesn't feel like it'll lose its elasticity over time. Even though I'm set on the Limited (seat warmers are a very high priority for me as well, not to mention the better audio system), I agree that the GLS feels like a LOT of car for the money even in its most basic trim! :-D

Now I just have to wait for my '96 Bonneville with 146k miles to need a major repair.........
    edited March 2010
    You initially said "ride and handling". I was talking about the ride. The two trims have the same suspension, both for 2006-10 and 2011 (same between GLS and Limited I mean, not same between generations), so handling shouldn't differ much except as determined by tires.

As for a definitive answer, that will depend on YOUR preferences. And the only way to tell for sure is to drive the cars, when you're ready.
  • mprice78mprice78 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I test drove both the GLS and the Limited, and ended buying a Limited. Neither of us noticed a difference in handling between the two. We were originally interested in the GLS with a popular equipment package, but the dearship didn't have any GLS's on the lot when we first went to look. When we came back a few days later, after looking at various other cars, they had a GLS in stock. The handling and suspension felt the same, but since we didn't drive them on the same day it would be really hard to recognize a minor difference from the wheels.

We decided we liked the features on the limited enough to pay a little more than we originally wanted, plus I was able to get them down to $24k. I found another dealer in PA with a price of 23.3, but our dealer is in town and offers free oil changes and tire rotations for life.
  • ctandcctandc Member Posts: 2
    Purchased a 2011 Sonata SE two weeks ago for my wife's primary car. I've never seen her so excited about a new car, and she's had several. She absolutely loves it. I can tell you this:

We test drove the GLS. It's got a nice ride, but I don't like the vague input / feedback from the steering in the GLS. 99% of all people would never notice it, but as I've owned and built a lot of good handling cars over the years, I did. We also drove the limited. the only difference in ride quality / handling in the Limited vs the GLS that I noticed was the Limited had a bit harsher ride than the GLS..due to the wheel size difference I'm sure.

The SE, which we waited on to come in?

GREAT feedback and handling. Much tighter feedback and response and doesn't totally sacrifice ride quality. Great car. Hyundai got this one right.

Build quality, looks, power, economy and most important to us...interior and trunk room.

Can't beat it with a stick considering we paid a tick under $22K for a SE with floor mats, wheel locks and Ipod cable.
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    You not alone and I agree whole heartedly! I usually prefer "lighter colored vehicle interiors be it tan-beige or grey over black-charcoal. In the 2011 Hyundai GLS however, to me the Tan interiors looks like cheap after-market seat covers that will (snag & pill up) while the darker charcoal interiors looks more expensive and durable. You would think in the same GLS model line, the material look and feel would be identical except for the color, not so here. I don`t want Leather, too hot for SO FL. The color combinations of exterior vs interior in the GLS series eliminates unfortunately, the 2011 Sonata for consideration. Ordered a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with candy red metallic paint with light stone & charcoal grey interior.
    Well, if lighter color vehicle interiors are intended for rental fleets or women, guess its my (feminine side) showing. I for one am tired of drab black car interiors matched with almost every exterior color. Not much imagination color coordinating with being "always safe in black". I prefer matching exteriors colors with a similar shade of the same color for interior. Since that has become a very rare possibility, I`ll opt for a lighter neutral color like tan or beige or a lighter gray to compliment the exterior color. Dark charcoal or black is too drab plus shows lint,dust, dog hair, etc. The tan fabric in the 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS IMO is ugly and cheap looking compared to the charcoal color fabric used in the same series! That was a deal breaker for me!
    In addition, Hyundai will also launch a turbocharged Sonata sedan, equipped with company’s 2.0L four-cylinder turbo engine with horsepower rating ranging between 235-240 horsepower. Make sure you visit our blog on April the 2nd to find more information on the soon-to-be-released new Sonata models.

The above was copied from Hyundaiblog.com and is the first time I've seen a fairly reliable source state that the HP rating on the 2.0 Turbo to be in the Sonata is going to be around 235-240. Most estimates I've seen have been between 250-260. Even Hyundai execs in their press release video said something like 250+. Don't know what to make of it. I'ts possible they may be tuning this engine to return the hp of the previous V6 matched with a little less body weight to come up with even better MPG ratings than the DI I4. This would have the plus of having a lot more hp, much more torque and even higher MPG ratings! With a combination like that I don't imagine it would be hard to get people to pay a lot more for it. Just a thought.
    Since I have 3 dogs, I'll tell you right now that dog hair shows with any interior.

I just came from a vehicle with grey cloth, and it looks ok. However, the black accents of the 2011 just look better with the black leather IMHO.

As for your choices, more power to you. I know I would find myself personally shocked if I ever saw a candy apple red vehicle with anything other than a female driving it.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    If you like over-boosted power steering, the front-wheels-on-ice steering feel, Sonata's not your car.

I've heard that Sonata's power steering boost is adjustable with the right scan tool.
  • abigmuttabigmutt Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2010
    As for your choices, more power to you. I know I would find myself personally shocked if I ever saw a candy apple red vehicle with anything other than a female driving it.

"Shocked", eh? my first thought was "what kind of life does this person lead?" when they are so easily shocked.
    I am about to buy a red 2011 Sonata; at first I had other color choice but after traveling around town to the 4 dealerships so I could test and SEE all the colors/models, I changed my order to a red one. Based on the other available color choices, mostly. despite the nice new design, all the other colors still made it look like "an old man's car". But when i saw the red one, it changed my whole impression of the car. That color combined with the new styling took it right out of the "geezer" category for me. Maybe that's why the ads & commercials that emphasize the radical, sporty & youthful nature of the Sonata many times use the red colored model.
    I haven't bought a new, red car for many years but after many dark-colored luxury cars and numerous light-colored mini-vans & family sedans, the mischievous, risk-taking side of me is back, I guess.
    (or as shabadoo25 might opine) my feminine side is showing through.
    Thank goodness we all have different tastes, or else we'd all be waiting in line for that black-on-black or grey-on-silver color combo, eh? I could never live with black leather interiors, first because they seem conservative and in the summer, hot. Also because I'd always feel like I'm a chauffeur on my way to the airport to pick up a client. Or, if it also had black exterior, I'd feel like I'm part of a funeral procession. Other color combinations, especially with cloth seats, I feel like I'm driving a company car. But red ..... nothing about it says conservative, company-car, chauffeur or funeral. It just says "fun" to me, whether a woman or a man is driving it.
    Well, the Venetian Red in the Sonata isn't "candy apple." It's more muted than that. It sounds like you have owned a variety of other colors, and want a change of pace. As I always say, different strokes for different folks.

Now, as for any man that would buy the Silver Pearl (baby blue), that's a whole 'nother story! :P
    Well, since we are both Dog Lovers, I won`t be picking a fight with you...lol! I have two Golden Retrievers myself. As for my color choice, Candy Red Metallic, have you seen a new 2010 Ford Taurus in that color? Its not only an extra $180 premium paint color upgrade, but looks very sharp and expensive. Girly color? Anything other then a drab color maroon is feminine? Its not shocking Pink! I`ve seen a lot of hot fire red Ferrari sports cars that don`t look too sissy! Maybe its not too late to cancel the order and rethink my choices. Perhaps silver grey or battleship grey with black interior might boost my testosterone levels a bit.
    You'll be a real man then. ;)

I'll have to tell my dad who was wounded in the south pacific during WWII that he is a girly man for having a red car.
    As I've always said, to each his own. One man's picasso is another's pile of junk.

Heck, I don't even understand why they make this car in baby blue outside of North Carolina, but I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them.
    edited March 2010
    Medium red / cranberry / candy apple red is one of my favorite colors. I love it on the new Sonata. (Oh, look to the right--there it is!) I don't know I'd like it as much on the more boring 2006-10 Sonata though. And I would even get the tan interior in that red Sonata. Guess I won't qualify for "macho man of the year." Not that I care. I am pretty comfortable with my state of "maleness" to drive pretty much anything. I even owned a silver blue Jetta for awhile. It was used and was the right price. My oldest son made a remark about it being a "girlie" car. I wrote him out of my will.

(OK, I didn't do that... just told him I would.)
    Actually I think all the colors are pretty nice. :)

When I first saw pictures of the 2011 Sonata online I thought the indigo blue and red looked fabulous, especially the blue. But the closer I got to making the purchase the more I wondered whether the blue was "too much" since I'm going to be 60 in a few months.

The next time I was at the dealer, the salesman asked me if I was sure I wanted the indigo blue. I then realized that I wanted something a little less flashy, and indicated that Harbor Gray was my number one preference, with black and Pacific Blue if gray wasn't available. Two days later he told me he had a black with the options I wanted. I could have waited for the Harbor Gray but decided that black was pretty cool and went with it.

I have no regrets - I love the black color. I feel like I'm driving a Mercedes Benz.
  • swingmanswingman Member Posts: 54
    non-red 2011 sonatas look like old geezer cars? How do you figure? Just trying to fire a shot back at the guy calling the red one a girlie car?

Not sure what color has to do with it. I would think style would have more influence on whether or not a car qualifies as a geezer car.

Everyone has their own tastes in car color but unless it's pink or purple, I wouldn't call any color girlie. On the flip side, most colors (other than two tone brown) aren't geezer colors IMO