Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    My wife has no problem adjusting the manual seat to her liking whenever she gets in, but the first thing she hits is the heated seat.

Even if the temp isn't that low, she loves the feeling on her lower back. That's a far bigger selling point to us than power.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited March 2010
    A power passenger seat is just not a player for me. My wife never adjusts her seat hardly at all(most have recline feature which is enough for her). To tell you the truth, I don't even know if one of our cars has a power passenger seat or not. I know one does and one doesn't but the third I don't even know. Heated seats(even though we live in Chicago area) are simply not a big deal for us either. Like em but don't really care that much.

When we have looked for new cars I can't remember once that we even checked for that feature. I understand that it is a major issue for a lot of people and also understand that it is perfectly logical for them. But for me and probably a lot of other people it's not an issue at all. I don't what the percentage breakdown might be but I have to believe that if the majority of people were really hot about it the automakers would be listening.

In the old days just about all these things could be ordered optional but since the "package system" came into being you have to kind of take what you get to a degree. I realize that this makes manufacturing faster and cheaper and the cars can offered for less MSRP but it certainly limits your options(no pun intended).

I personally like the Homelink feature and it can be a dealbreaker for me. That probably sounds silly to most people but it is just something that I really like so I understand about the power passenger seat completely.
  • Options
    jerryk33jerryk33 Member Posts: 6
    I am in complete agreement that the Limited Model should INCLUDE passenger power seat. Other Model (SE) optional! Any news yet about the Turbo 4?? I am still leary of the 4 and its "freeway power"!
  • Options
    meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    For me, bluetooth, auto-dimming mirror, heated front seats, and auto-climate control. I really love them.
  • Options
    Most likely late summer for the turbo and fall for the hybrid.

As a 2011 driver, the car has plenty of freeway power.
  • Options
    syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2010
    The power from the regular 4 cylinder is very good. I have only driven V6s before getting my SE and have been very impressed with getting so much power out of so few cylinders and so little fuel. Aside from the extra HP, the engine has good torque and feels almost like some of the turbocharged engines from a few years ago without the turbo lag. And since the compression ration is 11:3:1, the output is not technically that far off. Its not a race car, but I do a lot of passing and drive at 75-85 mph. most of the time, trust me the car goes to 100+ with no effort at all. This was one of my most important considerations when I bought the car - the other 4 cylinders I've driven (like the Accord and Malibu) were just too weak when you really hit the gas.
  • Options
    mgw1mgw1 Member Posts: 11
    I must say I absolutely love my new Limited -- looks, performance, economy, special features. Can anyone clue me in on mounting the front license plate without damaging the finish? I don't see any holes or other obvious way to do it.

Thanks!!
  • Options
    I don't have any holes, either. Front plates aren't required in this state, so maybe they just drill them where they are needed?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'm surprised your dealer didn't mount the front plate for you. The dealer did that for me for every new car I've ever purchased, when I picked up the plates. It's especially important if hole drilling is required, as it is here. There may be certain places to drill--are there any "dimples" on the bumper showing where the bolts should go?
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Does anyone know when they are coming out with the camel leather interior on the Limited?

I understand that they are installing them now at the Montgomery plant and should be at dealers in one to three weeks.
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Back in '01 in Illinois the dealer would order your plates & install them when they arrived. I think the install was done just for the free advertising plate frame. :P

Anyway, it has changed and now the dealers have a supply of plates on hand. So as long as you aren't doing vanity plates, you drive away with real plates when you buy the car. That's one improvement I can get behind.

As to where to mount the plates, I'd say RTFM and if it isn't there and your dealer isn't being helpful, call the customer service number in the manual, or in Hyundai's case see http://www.hyundaiusa.com/contact-us.aspx If it isn't in the manual and is info you need, complain so that it stands a chance of being included in future manuals.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    chalirebrownchalirebrown Member Posts: 38
    Well I am not married anymore and so I have no one to influence me but it was an added extra that was included in the price along wiht all the other features-a really great deal and next year they are coming out wiht a hybrid and a turbo version-
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Here in MN we are still in the Dark Ages, and dealers have to send away for plates, takes a week or two to get them. At least the free plate frames keep the front plate from bending all to heck in car washes.
  • Options
    midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Back in '01 in Illinois the dealer would order your plates & install them when they arrived. I think the install was done just for the free advertising plate frame.

Very strange because I just waited 17 to get my plates and I'm in Illinois. My last car, 3 years ago, I also waited about 2 weeks.

You sure you're not buying your cars from a chop shop :confuse:
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    http://www.carsdirect.com/dmv/how-to-get-illinois-license-plates

See #1. It depends on the dealer's sales volume. (I didn't buy from Cars Direct but this is the only reference I could find)
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited March 2010
    REF:1628
    Sorry for the delay but i actually had to work a bit.
    My dealer in Indiana is bob poynter and i only talk to the sales manager Ra*dy:
    http://www.bobpoynterchrysler.com/hyundai-sonata/
    FYI, they have been so aggressive on pricing that they sold half their Sonatas and are down to eight 2010's and two 2011's for now. i live in Ohio but will drive the 110 miles to avoid the local OH dealer BS and "mandatory" $250 doc fee.
    Hope they get more in soon.
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Yeah, that must be the case. My last car was from a small dealer in IL about 2 years ago and it took 2 wks+ for the plates to show up. They put a plate holder on the front of the car when I bought it but I screwed the plates on when I picked them up. They would have but I didn't want to wait.
  • Options
    craigsamuelcraigsamuel Member Posts: 10
    Hey guys,
    I found this forum when I was searching for this question to be answered. I have to agree that the manual doesn't seem to make sense. It states you should drive for the first 600miles/1000km from between 2000-4000RPMs.
    The only way is by using the manual shifter and many people I have talked to mentioned not to rev it this high.
    Has anyone asked Hyundai about this?
    Are they telling us to use the Manual Shift in the first 1000km to ensure the revs?
    Thanks
    Looks like a great forum.
  • Options
    Are they telling us to use the Manual Shift in the first 1000km to ensure the revs?

Considering mine does 2000RPM @ 70MPH, I would assume so. I can just see me trying to tell a cop I was just doing what my owners manual said when he clocked me doing 75 in a school zone.
  • Options
    craigsamuelcraigsamuel Member Posts: 10
    lol,
    I guess what I am asking is "did you guys all manual shift for the first 1000km to keep it in the stated 2000-4000rpm?"
  • Options
    I guess what I am asking is "did you guys all manual shift for the first 1000km to keep it in the stated 2000-4000rpm?"

Not me. I'm more concerned with full throttle starts and driving at the same RPMs for an extended period. But I'm a firm believer that you should break in a car the way you plan to drive it.
  • Options
    lbg2lbg2 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone had any luck yet with finding accessories for the 2011? I'm specifically interested in a rear deck spoiler, mud flaps, and possibly a wind deflector for the sunroof. The dealer I purchased from still does not know when these might be available.
  • Options
    Hey everyone,

I know some people were concerned with the road noise on the new car so I decided to upload a quick video from my digital camera. IMO it's a pretty quiet and smooth ride, even in my SE, but let me know if other people's ride differently for some reason since I've heard a few complaints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYthDsKgHo
  • Options
    the_pillthe_pill Member Posts: 9
    Very nice video. Love that engine. It sounds sweet and you're right except when you're putting your foot into it, the Sonata sounds quiet. In my opinion, some who are grumbling about the sounds as noise are hypersensitive to the cabin's quietness.

Most of us ride with our radio or music on anyway. Thanks for the video.
  • Options
    norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    I just got some great information from the Corporate Headquarters in Fountain Valley Calif. Production just started on the Sonata LIMITED camel interior, so the cars could be arriving in dealerships by mid-April. Now, that is going to vary by location. :)
  • Options
    raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2010
    When I got one of the first 2006 Rav4, Ebay had the most accessories popping up from dealers and other manufacturers. Here's a spoiler that appears to be for the Korean version. Rear Spoiler

Here's a Carbon Fiber grill too Grill

Keep searching, more things to come :D
  • Options
    mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    syitalian25

Hey everyone,

I know some people were concerned with the road noise on the new car so I decided to upload a quick video from my digital camera. IMO it's a pretty quiet and smooth ride, even in my SE, but let me know if other people's ride differently for some reason since I've heard a few complaints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPYthDsKgHo

syitalian25,

Thanks for the video.

What I don't get is that the road you're on appears to be billiard table smooth, yet I hear what seems to be a lot of tire thumping. Is that correct?

I am not mentioning what appears to be wind and road noise because I realize an open microphone may be catching things like other ambient noises, or more specifically, things such as air flow from the ventilation system, but the tire thumping has a very distinct sound that is hard to mistake for anything else.

Has anyone noticed any of the 'kathunk' sounds from the suspension that some complained of in the previous generation Sonata?

Thank you.
  • Options
    moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I am looking for the limited in black plum pearl with NAV. I have no idea were to look for this car. I wish Hyundai had a site we could look on for info on the production of these cars..If anyone has info please pass it on to me Thanks
  • Options
    I am trying to get info on when production for the 2011 Sonata Limited with Nav in the color Black Plum Pearl will begin. If anyone can help I would like that. Thanks.
  • Options
    I live in New York and I too am looking for that same package ( 2011 Sonata Limited with NAV ) only in Black Plum Pearl.I was told it is not in production yet. I hope I can get one soon.
  • Options
    Troll post.

This poster only pops up now and then to denigrate Hyundai suspsensions and road noise, fyi.
  • Options
    maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    According to the brochure the Black Plum Pearl color is only available with the Camel Interior of Limited models and since Camel won't be available until mid-April, I'd say you might be able to find one then...
  • Options
    patrick159patrick159 Member Posts: 1
    I love how they design the 2011 Hyundai Sonata

Patsco
  • Options
    dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Ha, subtle. :lemon:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There has not been any unusual noises coming from the suspension. I live in suburban New York and we are at the end of a long winter - the "kathunk" noise in the video is breaks in the pavement, small potholes, etc., and are quite mild in real life. You can hear how loud my blinker is to get an idea of how much basic ambient noise was picked up by the microphone. The small pavement noises are actually pretty well dampened I thought, mostly being quieter than the blinking noise (which is barely noticeable at times). The engine can make a bit of noise only when I really rev it up, but I prefer it that way :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There has not been any unusual noises coming from the suspension. I live in suburban New York and we are at the end of a long winter - the "kathunk" noise in the video is breaks in the pavement, small potholes, etc., and are quite mild in real life. You can hear how loud my blinker is to get an idea of how much basic ambient noise was picked up by the microphone. The small pavement noises are actually pretty well dampened I thought, mostly being quieter than the blinking noise (which is barely noticeable at times). The engine can make a bit of noise only when I really rev it up, but I prefer it that way :)

Thanks, sy. I appreciate the video and the explanation.
  • Options
    the_pillthe_pill Member Posts: 9
    Replying to: shabadoo25 (Mar 24, 2010 10:47 am)

Troll post.

"This poster only pops up now and then to denigrate Hyundai suspsensions and road noise, fyi".

I know. I have him marked permanently on "Ignore" :D
  • Options
    podpod Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2010
    I agree that the seams in the pavement could clearly be heard in the video suggesting a tight suspension which would be expected in the SE variant of the car. Those who dismiss discussion of indisputable thumps from the road seams are either deaf or fanboys. That is to be expected in the sports tuned variant of the car. You can't have a tight suspension for aggressive driving and a quiet suspension; at least not at this price point. It is not a criticism, rather an observation that might steer some to the non-sports tuned models of this car. I suspect that the Limited is sprung more softly and that the sounds would be relatively damped. Open minds folks and open ears.
  • Options
    I agree that the seams in the pavement could clearly be heard in the video suggesting a tight suspension which would be expected in the SE variant of the car. Those who dismiss discussion of indisputable thumps from the road seams are either deaf or fanboys. That is to be expected in the sports tuned variant of the car. You can't have a tight suspension for aggressive driving and a quiet suspension; at least not at this price point. It is not a criticism, rather an observation that might steer some to the non-sports tuned models of this car. I suspect that the Limited is sprung more softly and that the sounds would be relatively damped. Open minds folks and open ears.

I appreciate your candor and your objectivity, and I also genuinely agree 100% with you.

Honda Accords in the past were well known and admitted even by owners to have more road noise and a firmer ride than their Toyota Camry counterparts, and this was the trade off for their better handling than the Camry.

It wasn't a question of god or bad, as you've stated so eloquently, but rather one's preferred tastes; those who preferred a softer ride at the expense of numb steering and less sharp handling went with the Camry, while those who desired better handling and more steering feedback went with the Accord despite the higher road noise and ambient noise.
  • Options
    chrisk10chrisk10 Member Posts: 19
    I am looking for a new air filter. Would like to get a K&N but they don't make them yet for the '11's and the '10's are a different size, which makes sense since its a new engine.
  • Options
    rk2329rk2329 Member Posts: 2
    Hi....i am planning to buy 2011 Sonata limited with Navigation...in making my decision, i found lot of good information in this site...can someone help me with answers to the below question :

1. bluetooth - does the bluetooth that comes in the Limited has music streaming capability ? Can i play the mp3 songs in my cell phone through Bluetooth ?

2. I have decided to buy the car but have not yet decided on the colurs - light colours are my preference...i saw the colors in Hyundai website and in the manuals but when i saw a grey it was less appealing than in the manual. so i have decided to see all the colurs in daylight photos or in person before buying but the dealers have very limited option...if anyone has dayligh photos of camel pearl, iridescent blue, black plum...can you pl send me a link? also i would like to see the leather limited interior with wood trimmings.

3.How is the map updates done for the Navigation?

thanks
  • Options
    napsfannapsfan Member Posts: 23
    1. bluetooth - does the bluetooth that comes in the Limited has music streaming capability ? Can i play the mp3 songs in my cell phone through Bluetooth ?

You bet! One of my favorite features. You just hop in the car and your phone automatically connects, then you hit "play" on your phone and you've got great sounding digital audio! Better than the XM, I'm afraid (I will not be keeping that once the trial expires. At least in Ohio, XM audio quality isn't impressive.) The other cool feature is you can just pop in a USB thumb drive and play a folder, or random within a folder, or random across your whole USB stick. Again, absolutely great sounding digitial music quality.

If you like good audio and enjoy high-tech, you're in for a treat... :)
  • Options
    capplacappla Member Posts: 29
    Question on the bluetooth for new 2011 Sonata owners. Do you have the ability to transfer numbers from your phone or program contacts into the system or is this feature only available when you also have the navigation system?
  • Options
    The replacement OEM style filters only add 1-4 HP max, cone air filters add 10+. I would measure the opening circumference of the existing intake hose and then shop for cone filters for other vehicles that would fit (maybe an Accord or Impala?)
  • Options
    The contacts automatically downloaded when you start the car and can be used for voice dialing automatically, but they are not saved into the system. They re-download each time you get in, which takes about one minute depending on how many contacts you have. After that, just press the button and say the name.
  • Options
    1. Already answered.
    2. The light colors with leather have not hit dealer inventories yet.
    3. These nav units are too new to have needed any updating yet.
  • Options
    bneuman542bneuman542 Member Posts: 10
    We are waiting on a SE with Navigation and Sun Roof package. Hopefully in a week or two. I just read an article on iGuida.com and wondering if anyone else has the same view. I know there aren't many Nav packages out yet but wondering if you have one can you comment on the following?

But by today’s standards, its screen is small and its graphics fuzzy. More problematical, the system seems reluctant to recognize voice commands and delivers some directions with a mush-mouth pronunciation that’ll leave you guessing about your next turn.
  • Options
    Mostly utter nonsense. I haven't used the voice command with the navigation much, but it works fine for phone and radio. The screen is bright and easy to read, and the robotish voice of the guidance is not hard to understand at all.
  • Options
    shamrock13shamrock13 Member Posts: 8
    I test drove a GLS and a Limited. When I drove the Limited I noticed that when you take your foot off the gas, there isn’t a smooth deceleration. The speed dropped off very sharply. This made for a jerky feeling ride. I didn’t notice this in the GLS I drove. Just wondering if it was specific to the car I drove, or if anyone else has experienced this? I love this car and was hoping to go with either an SE or a Limited. The dealership did not have an SE available to drive.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I haven't noticed this in the SE or in the Limited/GLS models that I tested. Maybe the shifter moved into manual mode by accident so it held an unusual gear? Otherwise it must just be that particular car. You could try another test drive on a Limited and see if it does it again - but my guess would be no.