Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    May not be just a dream, sometimes car makers will offer very good
    incentives to repeat customers. Keep your fingers crossed, if anyone
    can do it Hyundai can.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No, it's not a dream as Hyundai has historically had "loyalty rebates" on some models, and usually they appear on new designs before general rebates. And sometimes they have both. Kia does the same thing, but also has "competitive rebates" on some models, e.g. Optima, which I think is a good idea for grabbing buyers from other brands. Hyundai hasn't done that, to my knowledge.
    Too bad you let that one bad dealer experience turn you off Hyundai. Usually Hyundai prices are quite reasonable, with rebates and discounts available. It's just that some dealers mark up new models at the start, due to demand being higher than supply. Which I have no problem with, it's a free market, and I can always wait or look elsewhere if dealers try that kind of thing.

I think the 2011 Sonata will be Hyundai's hottest product in a long time, perhaps ever, so that's why I think we'll see the "ADM" stuff at the start. And we won't see $2500 rebates as there is now on the 2010 model for some time--if ever? Could be the car will be good enough to sell in big numbers even at higher prices than today--closer to Camcord levels. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out this year.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    I haven't looked at a Hyundai since....

--------------------------------------------------

Too bad you let that one bad dealer experience turn you off Hyundai.

------------------------------------------------

It did turn me off in 2007 and I bought a Buick Lucerne of all things. It's been a great car but I'm looking to downsize a bit this year. The Buick's paid off now (3 yr. loan) and I've got about $12K equity for my down payment on a newer model.

I might be more interested in the next gen Elantra coming out this fall. The Sonata is very nice but is more car than I need and will likely be selling close to MSRP all through 2010.

After working with a guy from Seoul last year, I'm ready to give Hyundai a shot.
  • dnbbdnbb Member Posts: 4
    The car is better in all aspects, it drives better, handles better and it is quicker. It's a beautiful car. Check www.hyundainews.com for the spec's.
  • keyhyundaikeyhyundai Member Posts: 1
    The 2011 Sonata is one nice looking car!! I think the new design really gives it a new edge. The Sonata is supposed to be around in the not to distant future!! Can't wait!! What do you think of the look?
    I like just about every angle except head-on. The combination of the elongated headlamps and huge grille disrupt the otherwise graceful lines of the car, for me anyway. Otherwise I think it's very sharp looking. Personally I prefer taller greenhouses for a more airy feel to the cabin (the current Sonata is very good there), but I haven't sat in the new Sonata yet to see if it feels claustrophobic. I love the new interior though--arguably the best design in its class.
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Backy,

I think(or should I say I hope) you will feel different about the front on angle appearance when you see one up close. I studied the car from every angle when I was at the factory during my tour and I cannot find an angle that I dislike. Of course this is subjective.

Your right about the interior...its fantastic! I sat in one fresh off the line(LITERALLY) and the design, precision and ergonomics(at least from the drivers seat) was excellent. The 2011's coming off the line right now have the same GDI 4 cylinder. Some have a "Sport" package on top of the "Limited" package that have Dual exhaust outlets and paddle shifters on the steering wheel. So...You can get a Limited with or without this so-called "Sport Package". The Turbo will be available later in 2010. When the turbo is available we will trade our current Azera.

Craig
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    i think the difference here is really what's more important to you either the resale value or long warranty.sonata has a much better warranty vs the camcords but then again chances are you won't be needing the extra warranty due to those cars reputations for reliability and dependability.however,it doesn't always work out that way.example.......i have a friend of mine who purchased a brand new 07 toyota camry a few years ago and recently at 38,000 miles the a/c in the camry stopped working.he took the car in and was told by the dealer service technician that the a/c compressor was defective and needed to be replaced at a cost of over $900.00 including the replacement of other parts that go along with it.since he was out of the basic 3/36 warranty the repairs were not covered under warranty.however,on the other hand if this was a hyundai sonata and this same thing happened it would have been covered under hyundai's 5/60,000 basic warranty.he fought with toyota to try and get them to cover the a/c repairs under warranty but to no avail.it was because of this experience that when the 2011 sonata comes out he will be tradeing the camry in asap.total repair bill including parts and labor for the replacement of the a/c compressor at the dealership was just under $1000.00....
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    Am I the only one who is wonderng why Edmunds is dragging their feet on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata review?? January 17th the last 2010 was assembled in Montgomery and the 2011 followed it down the assembly line. I have been anxiously awaiting Edmunds review.
    A friend who is a Car dealer had the pleasure of driving one in Fountain Valley Ca . Following is his email to me : [ 11/11/2009 ] Don - I just got back from southern California this afternoon. The vehicle looks great although the one they let us see and test drive was still not the 100% finished version. I did get to drive one but not on the freeway. It was very quiet and had great pick up and road feel. The car is very exciting and it looks much more expensive then its going to be.
    They have not disclosed the price yet, they are trying to bring it in as low as they can and I would guess that for an automatic nicely equiped the MSRP will probably be about $21,000- $21,500. They are going to come out with some incentives I think right from the begining and a super lease program.

I do know that they probably are going to introduce it at the L.A Autoshow ahead of schedule. The L.A autoshow is December 3-4. originally they were going to introduce it at the Detroit Auto show in January. We will not have them on ground to sell yet but the vehicle will be 'officially unveiled". That means that the specs, real pictures (not spy shots) and pricing should be available at that time. I will be flying down for the show and will take pictures and send them back same day: .
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Casey,

Actually, The first day of full production of the 2011 was January 4th....How would I know this? I did the factory tour that day. I promise you the 2010 stopped production just before Christmas.

Craig
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    as most everybody knows,the last few years sonata models have been plaqued by a "thunk" issue involving the sonata suspension.i hope for huyndai's sake that they have worked this problem out for the 2011 model sonata.
    Your knowledge is more reliable than mine. I based mine on Dawn Kent at the Birmingham News. She wrote an article ,stating that the 2010's were done and the 2011's were being assembled but were at 40%. There were photos of people checking the quality of the 2011 autos as they came down the line. You can go to the Birmingham News site and type in "2011 Hyundai Sonata" and it gives a lot of info along with photos. My favorite reporter is Cosby Woodruff of the Montgomery Advertiser.My Ca contacts still haven't received an order window although they expected one last week. Anyone heard any thing concerning prices [ except under $2000 ]. I am like a kid the night before Christmas.
    Casey
    Here is the article by Dawn Kent. I went back to check if my memory was correct and it was : Casey

http://blog.al.com/assembly-lines/2009/12/redesigned_sonatas_now_rolling.html
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    You just read the date in the article wrong. It was dated Dec. 17th not Jan 17th.
    No,actually the date of Dec 17,2009 is what I was basing my statement on. Dawn said the 2010 models ceased to be mfg on 12/17/09 and the assembly of the 2011 models was started. It really doesn't make any difference as to whet I said or meant. My question remains. What will the price be on the 2011 sonata. In my last statement, I wrote in the parenthetical citations , the price of the 2011 as under $2000 [a boo-boo] when I actually meant to write under $20,000

Casey
    Hold on another couple of weeks. Hyundai is making a big splash on the 2011 Sonata with the Super Bowl. At that point the cars should be trickling in to dealers. So I think we'll see pricing announced very soon. We'll also see the March car issues come out in the next couple of weeks, and I would be really shocked if we didn't see reviews of the car in some of those--again to coincide with rollout of the car in NA.
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    Hello, I checked out a 2011 Sonata sedan at the Detroit auto show yesterday. It was a pre-production SE model. I sat in it and looked it over. I'm very impressed and will seriously consider it as my next car. I'm looking forward to read the future road tests and comparsions by the auto mags and blogs. I hope it is sporty and responsive. That's what I like about my current 2007 Mazda 6i 5-door. :shades:
    I don't believe the Sonata will nearly as sporty and responsive as your Mazda, even the Sonata SE model. It may be more responsive than the current version of the Sonata but I'm pretty positive it won't approach what you're used to with your 6. I'm hoping it steps up a notch from it's current handling but I'm not expecting a sports car feel by any means. They have different marketing goals.
  • splxsplx Member Posts: 8
    2011 Sonata with a base engine (200hp) may not be sporty and responsive as your Mazda 6, but i'm quite certain that a turbocharged 2011 Sonata (coming end of this year) which produces around 280hp will be very sporty and responsive.
    It's only 198hp in the GLS/Limited, the SE has 200hp but who's counting. I was really referring to the handling not the power(my I4 is no speed demon) which you may be equating to responsiveness :confuse: . They may adjust the handling across the line for the turbo but I doublt it....it will probably just have more power like they did with the V6. They may tweak SE some more. This is all guesstimate on my part, I have no inside info.

I've read a lot of different numbers on the output of the turbo for the Sonata. I would think around 250-260 but anythings possible. If you have a reliable source that the 280hp is definite and that that they are going to up the "very sporty" factor in the handling department - please let us know.
  • rdm925rdm925 Member Posts: 46
    Hi m6user, you are possibly right. The test will if they concentrate on handling and response. I was impressed with the design and style. However with the fasback roof the trunk opening is small. They should consider a 5-door and Mazda should bring out a 5-door in the 6 line again. :shades:
    I really think they have concentrated on a lot of things and going all out on the handling doesn't seem to be high on their list. Styling, interior, powertrain, fleet mpg, middle of road ride(no pun intended here) seem to be where they spend their dollars.

They try to attract the average midsize family car buyer with the Sonata and they are trying to grow their sales. I don't think trying to be like Mazda is part of their strategy.

A 5dr would be nice but I think there are so many crossover vehicles now that have great hauling ability and are more carlike that people that really need something like that buy a CUV or whatever. I personally think that is why Mazda got out of building them. They would rather have people buy their CX7 with a higher profit margin.
  • jnrusjnrus Member Posts: 2
    On my invoice statement for the 2010 V-6 Sonata Limited I just purchased, it states the V-6 engine is american made. Anyone know who makes the Sonata V-6? I'm curious since my V-6 looks like a Chrysler Product In layout and location of attached parts. Any guess who makes it and if it is made to Hyundai design and specs or is it a Chrysler design and specs?
    This is not really on topic, since the 2011 Sonata won't have a V6. But the V6 in the 2010 Sonata is made by Hyundai in its Alabama factory and is a Hyundai design.
    the V6 (LAMBDA 3.3) is assembled in USA but designed and developed in South Korea by Hyundai.
    Thanks for the links. Like I said, I have not seen anywhere how much horsepower the turbo will have that Hyundai is going to use in the Sonata.....just guesses like the article says "perhaps".. If I had to guess, I would say around 240 to 250 hp. That would give some nice grunt from the torque and still keep MPG under control. They are not making an "Evo" type of car....it is a family sedan.
    http://paultan.org/2008/11/21/new-hyundai-20l-theta-gdi-turbo-engine/

Hyundai has developed a new turbocharged gasoline direct injection version of its Theta family engine. The Theta family is essentially a derivative of the GEMA World Engine project, a joint venture between Hyundai-Kia, Chrysler and Mitsubishi. It comes in 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 liter sizes.

Derivatives of the GEMA engine found in cars sold in Malaysia include the Kia Optima 2.0, the Naza Citra II Rondo, the Mitsubishi Lancer and the Lancer Evolution. There have already been two turbocharged applications of GEMA derivatives in the market, a 2.4 liter turbo by Chrysler and a 2.0 turbo by Mitsubishi found in the Lancer Evolution.

Hyundai claims their Theta Turbo GDI engine has a capacity for up to 286 horsepower so far. Other than gasoline direct injection, it also features continuous variable valve timing. Various states of tune will probably be available – perhaps 200hp, 240hp and 286hp versions depending on the car its installed in.
  • 8babies1dog8babies1dog Member Posts: 122
    This may be interesting to you, go to this site.

Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama; LLC.
    under it click on tours, by manufacturing plant choose (manufacturing
    process) and then scroll down and watch video.

I bought the SE V6 several months ago, nice vehicles!!

good luck with yours
    Hellooooh, that link was posted a couple of posts back but thanks for posting it again. Like I said, I know what the engine may be possible to produce and all that. All I'm saying is that, to my knowledge, Hyundai has not announced how much hp they are going to produce off this engine for the Sonata. I highly doubt they will put out 280+ hp. That would probably require premium fuel, get lower mpg than they want for CAFE and possibly suck some sales from their Genesis line.
    In its place is a turbocharged 2.0L GDI that will offer more power than the outgoing 3.3L V-6. That motor, under the hood of the current Sonata, generates 249 hp and 229 lb-ft of torque. "We're well beyond that," Krafcik said.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/6582100/auto-shows/2009-la-2011-hyundai-sonata-feature- s-turbo-four-price-under-20k/index.html#ixzz0dUKpIUGL

yeah, there is no clear evidence that the engine will produce around 280hp, but
    considering this article, the turbo charged engine for 2011 Sonata should be in range of 260 ~280.
    No, I the articles that were linked before definitively stated that they can produce 286 hp from the engine. The question is: How much hp will the Sonata end up having. I hadn't seen that quote before and if it's true then your estimate of 260-280 may be right on. Beating the torque of the late V6 won't be hard as the turbos always have tons of torque but I'm still am of the opinion that it will be no more than about 260hp, maybe 265 but that is just an educated guess as yours is. We'll see. If they do get 280hp and keep good mpg and still use regular gas that would be something unless they price it too high.
  • jaimesonjaimeson Member Posts: 9
    You may be right about the new Sonata's handling, but judging from reviews of the new Tucson you might be wrong. Many reviewers really like the new firm ride, others think it's a little harsh, but pretty much all reviews have agreed that the handling is quite nice, with great dynamics (e.g. body roll control, etc).
  • carbuntcarbunt Member Posts: 40
    As someone who recently toured Hyundai's Alabama plant and saw the 2011 Sonata, Hyundai is being real cagey about the final numbers but all I can tell you is that the 250-265 horsepower range with the turbo is right in the ball park. :)
    I would be shocked if the new '11 Sonata's handling is anything close to a Mazda6 from the 2003-2008 time frame. It may be closer to the new Mazda6 which has softened their ride a little bit but probably still will be slightly softer. If it's not, then I will have been wrong which has certainly happened before. We are all guessing here as nobody has driven one yet. I'm making an educated guess. Just because the Tucson may be a little tighter ride doesn't mean the Sonata is suddenly becoming a sport sedan. That's like saying the new Chevy Equinox rides firmer than before so obviously the new Impala will be a sports sedan now. Could be but highly unlikely. At least I'm willing to go out on a limb and state my opinion, wrong as it could be, and I'll be the first one to admit it if I'm wrong.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Thought I was "hooked" on a 2010 or 2011 Mazda 6 with the 2.5 as an second vehicle to my larger SUV. When I first saw the 2011 Sonata teasers (and off-shore sites) I wasn't sold on the styling but the powertrain certainly got, and continues to hold, my attention. I've seen several post saying the turbo would be 2.4 and I can't help but think that it would a better choice than a more high strung 2.0 liter turbo. Guess we'll have to see.
    Someone PLEASE send up a flare on here when you see on a lot and give the location. I certainly will!
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    I, too, believe there is a good chance the turbo will be the 2.4 simply because that engine (2.4) is made in Alabama. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to have an engine plant in the factory that assembles the cars, then import other engines for those cars. But who knows? I was initially interested in a sonata until I saw no V6 option and I wrote it off. With a turbo, I may hold off on purchasing until the 4 cyl turbo is on the market.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Guess we'll see Marvin.... I understand your concern but I can't imagine that with 200hp and a six speed automate--the new Sonata would be slow. I'd wager 0-60 in less than 8 seconds. Looking forward to seeing the tests when they come out!
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    My primary concern was not the 0-60 times. I live in a hilly area and was more concerned about the automatic constantly shifting in 5th gear (or 6th in the case of the new transmissions). I have written off 4 cylinders because it's like work to drive my 4 cyl accord and I was looking for something that could pull hills without having to "work the car". I know accords are horrible for road noise, but the other 4 cyl cars I have test driven were not even options I would consider as the engines were noisy. I swore off 4 cylinders, but will wait for the turbo 4 to come out from hyundai and give it one more try.
  • sonsosonso Member Posts: 1
    I'm hoping it has class leading HP like it base engines 198... 275 a great #.
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    275 hp with similar torque would likely have too much torque steer, although the Azera has very little at 263 hp and 257 lb/ft of torque (much less torque steer than any Maxima, V6 Altima, non-SHAWD TL, or Accord) so it could still be done.

according to Edmunds inside line, the new Sonata weighs between 3161-3316 lbs. http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/12/2011-buick-regal-vs-2011-hyunda- i-sonata-we-compare-the-specs.html
    FWIW, the base BMW 135 with the manual tranny is 3372 lbs per Edmunds. fully loaded versions will probably add almost 100 lbs more (navigation, more speakers, amplifier, power/heated seats). the 128 with manual starts at 3252 lbs.
    both versions (auto or manual) of the 135 have 0-60 times of under or right around 5 seconds. the 128 does it well under 7 seconds, some reviews even put it below 6 seconds or right around it. the Sonata shouldn't do that much worse than the 128 and do better than the first generation TSX which wasn't considered slow (at least in manual form). as for the turbo version of the Sonata, my guess is class leading performance.
    Interesting thoughts but I think the Sonata turbo will come in with less HP than some people are hoping for. I think they will be competitive with other V6s hp but not class leading. It may have class leading torque with the turbo though. IMO Hyundai isn't that concerned with 0-60 times as it is a midsized family sedan and they are trying to have their fleet maintain the hightest average MPG. That's why they are eliminating the V6. If they just wanted to win the HP battle they could put the 3.5 V6 they have in their stable and tweak it for a few more horses.(No puns intended) :D
  • mattydmattyd Member Posts: 21
    >I like just about every angle except head-on.

Man, I'm with you there. Looks great from every angle, but that front end is really busy. I like the headlamps, but it's the funny bulges below them that seem discordant. And the grille is a bit too big.

Anyhoo, I'm very, VERY eager to see it here in Canada. Hyundai Canada has had full 2010 Santa Fe info (including Build & Price) for ages at hyundaicanada.com, whereas the US site still has nothing. Perhaps the Canadian site will have 2011 Sonata info before the US site as well.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I agree that those wishing for class-leading HP will most likely be disappointed. To be class leading, you'd need to be up near 300 (Maxima could be seen as a competitor now that is is smaller and is 290). I'm not sure that I'd want to see it pumped up that high, not only because of the gas mileage but because getting that much out of an engine that size would raise reliability concerns IMO. I'm actually hoping for something in the 240-250 hp range with great MPG's when compared to mid-level V-6's in the same class.
    I think they will be shooting more for your scenario, around 250 would be my guess. Turbos have lots of torque so it would get the car moving likd a V6 which is what most people are looking for anyway. While I don't think Maxima is really a competitior of the Sonata, the Altima is, I agree that getting up over 265hp would probably push the mpg down and may require premium fuel. Don't think Hyundai wants to go there. You're probably also right about the reliability especially since they are guaranteeing the powertrain for 10 years.

If they can offer 250hp/250torque and 30-32hwy mpg that would be quite a combo.
  • akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    the base Maxima starts at around $11k more than the new Sonata (Sonata's is going to cost less than $20k per John Krafcik, CEO of Hyundai Motor America). i don't know how much more the base turbo version of the Sonata will cost over the naturally aspirated version but i doubt it will be anywhere near $3k, giving the turbo Sonata at least an $8k advantage unless the turbo is only available on the higher trims (SE, limited). even then the Maxima can be priced over $40k.

the Maxima is also around 300 lbs heavier than the Sonata, so the Sonata won't need 290 HP to have similar performance. 260 HP will give it similar power to weight ratios, and a better torque ratio. the base Sonata actually has a similar power to weight ratio as the first generation Infiniti i30 ('96-99) or the third generation (or fourth generation) Maxima, the original "4 door sports car".
    It's very simple. Sonata does not compete against the Maxima, it competes against the Altima. And anyone who thinks that the new Sonata is going to be a "4 dr sport sedan" is on mushrooms. The Sonata will be a very nice midsize family sedan as Hyundai has the Genisis line to compete in that neighborhood. Will it be a little nicer and a little better handling than the previous version? I'm sure it will but not anywhere near sport sedan territory.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    Guys, I was the one that brought up the Maxima and you're misconstruing my comments. I never said that the Sonata directly competes with the Maxima. Someone else suggested that they thought that the Sonata w/ turbo would provide best-in-class HP, and I simply used the Maxima as an example to say that I doubted that would be the case.

And yes, I consider them to be in the same "class" if not directly competitive in as much as I think of them both as midpoint trim-level, mid-sized sedans, albeit with somewhat different customers in mind.
  • jaimesonjaimeson Member Posts: 9
    Hyundai Announces Pricing for the All-New 2011 Sonata

Bold New Design, Large Car Interior, Best-in-Class Fuel Economy Starting at $19,195
    FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Feb. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America has announced prices for the all-new 2011 Sonata. The completely redesigned 2011 Sonata delivers best-in-class fuel economy, an EPA-designated Large Car interior, 198 horsepower and a starting price of $19,195 for the well-equipped GLS model. The 200-horsepower SE model starts at $22,595 and the top-of-the-line Limited model is available for $25,295.

"With the 2011 Sonata, our focus was a no-compromise engineering approach that would allow Sonata owners to have their cake, and eat it too. That focus led to a set of attributes that have not been seen in the midsize car category – attributes such as 35 mpg and 200 horsepower, bold design and an EPA Large Car interior, world-class quality and a class-leading value position," said John Krafcik, Hyundai Motor America president and CEO. "At Hyundai, we're big fans of resetting conventional wisdom, and we think we may have done it here with the 2011 Sonata."