Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• tuckerdogtuckerdog Member Posts: 29
    Any reason the white paint has the additional cost?

Thanks,
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's not just white, it's a pearlescent white that has a lot of depth to it. I assume the reason for the extra cost is the manufacturing process costs more for that kind of paint. Hyundai has charged more for that color ever since it became available several years ago.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    I agree.... the standard kits are WAY too much.

I am considering covering the areas of the piano black:
    AC Vent areas, Door trim.
    Also the top of the center console where the cup holders and door switches are. and possibly the power window switch areas...
    but NO additional dash trim, nothing near the speedo, or radio etc...

I had a similar treatment on my Infiniti G35
  • alexupalexup Member Posts: 14
    Thinking about installing 18" wheels on my 2011 Sonata Limited....anyone know how much will it cost? Anyone else thinking of doing the same thing? :shades:
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Is it just me or do others think the color coordinated(with the leather color) trim on the steering wheel look tacky in anything other than the black interior? I don't recall if the cloth interiors are the same but I think it would look better just having the steering wheel all one color rather than wine and camel colored trim on it.

I would probably lean towards a black interior even though I know it would be kind of dark just to stay away from that look. The door trim doesn't look as bad but still too much contrast IMO. I know some of the pictures make the colors look a little off but wondering what others think. It could be just me as I really don't care for the multicolored leather seats in some other makes either.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Is it just me or do others think the color coordinated(with the leather color) trim on the steering wheel look tacky in anything other than the black interior?

I agree, but I'm not too concerned since I bought the black interior. My wife hates black. But after seeing some pictures of the other colors I wasn't going to get anything else.
    Thanks Backy,

I've asked the question of 3 different dealerships, and have gotten different answers. One told me it was some different type of paint that resists chipping better than the other colors. That would be a good thing around here ( lots of rock trucks on the freeway ). Another told me it was because it was 7 coats of paint ( but didn't know how many coats the other colors had ). The last dealer just didn't have an answer.

Tuckedog1
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    edited April 2010
    Most manufacturers have an additional cost for the Pearl White. I have a Rav4 in this color...Toyota adds $220 to all of their cars. I live in the desert and have minimal rock chips after 4 years of ownership, most other Rav4 owners are complaining about cheap paint..mine is fine, maybe it's the 3rd coat of protection. I found this Pearl Paint that explains it better...hope this helped. After 4 years of Pearl, thinking of going back to Silver for my SE.
  • wcw1wcw1 Member Posts: 44
    Travelers charges me $1.00 for GAP for 6 months. It is called Comprehensive Loan/Lease
  • googonabikegoogonabike Member Posts: 27
    Give a quick call to good and VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE people AT TIRE RACK or go to tirerack.com
  • ctyankee42ctyankee42 Member Posts: 2
    Please help me talk Hyundai into making the 6 speed manual transmission available
    in the sportier SE model, and the upcoming 2.0T(274 HP Turbo). Right now they're only
    putting the stick shift in the "base" GLS model. BORING!! I want the sport tuned
    suspension, the 18 inch wheels, and the sportier interior of the SE, but I don't want the
    automatic (even with the "paddle" shifter levers on the steering wheel - WOW!).
    If Hyundai put a crisp, close ratio "stick" in the SE and the 2.0T, I'm sure it would sell in
    sufficient numbers to be profitable.
    Let's put some pressure on the marketing gurus at Hyundai to make the fun of shifting for
    ourselves available to a wider range of auto enthusiasts.
    I came very close to buying a used Caddy CTS "V" from CARMAX last week. Big V8,
    400HP, 6 speed stick. The price was at the high end of "retail" and they offered too little
    on my trade. Besides, I'd rather wait and see if Hyundai will see the light and tap into
    another segment of the buying public.
  • meikmeik Member Posts: 63
    Thanks for the link. I checked their website and thinking of getting Carbon Fiber one for the same area you are considering of.
  • denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    After reading some reviews on the 2011 Sonata, they say the steering on the highway is a little vague. Has anyone had an issue with that. I have a Limited on hold when it comes in. I have an 06 now and that performs quite well. Trying to make sure I will be happy with 2011.
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    I bought a 2011 GLS and I am really enjoying it. I bought the $750 option package and the dealer threw in all the smaller options such as cargo net,Floor mats,Wheel locks,etc. I live 230 miles from nearest dealer. My keyless entry [fob] works every thing as it should "except" the horn doesn't sound when pressing panic button or when alarm is armed and you pull on door handles. Horn only sounds when horn button is pushed. The car also does not chime or "chirp" when key is left in ignition and door is opened or lights left on. Any ideas, other than driving the 460 miles round trip to dealers???
    to a wider range of auto enthusiasts

Feel free to try and absolutely nothing against the Sonata but it is not a car really meant for "auto enthusiasts". It's a very competitive, probably #1 value midsize family sedan with a version that is a little tighter sprung for people that like that sort of ride(SE) and that's about it. Even the Mazda6 with the V6 doesn't come in a manual anymore and that was always known as the drivers car of the midsize sedans. Same with the Altima I believe.

IMO, Hyundai is going to be selling so many of these cars that they won't be searching for a way to reach that 1-2% of people that may want a stick in the uplevel versions. However, it's possible they may just offter a stck in the SE Turbo down the road when things settle down. You have to admit, they have been pretty busy putting out some wonderful new product to do everything at once. Right now I think they are going to building these as fast as they can and probably don't want a burp in the steady stream of auto trannies moving down the line.

Why??? Because that "other segment of the buying public" that you think is out there just didn't buy it. Why would they want to cut into their models that are actually meant for driving enthusiasts like the rear wheel drive Genesis line? Especially when they see all the other manufacturers dropping manuals in anything other than their absolute entry price versions. BMW sells a small percentage of manuals and they bill themselves as the car for enthusiasts.

I feel for you but I think it's getting to the point that if someone really wants what you seem to be looking for, the price of entry is probably going to be higher than Sonata....maybe like the Caddy you were looking at.
    Check your owners manual. Sometimes certain things can be shut off. I have a car that you have to push the lock button twice to get the horn to chirp to tell you it's armed and I didn't discover that for about 6 months after reading some more of the owners manual. However, it doesn't seem like an emergency button would have that option. Wouldn't hurt to check the manual closely though.
    I read a quite similar issue on some other forum or this thread somewhere....
    If I remember correctly, "alert" feature uses different "speaker" located in somewhere around front fender. The poster said he had a bad speaker so that his dealer replaced it for him.

However, you might want to check car's system setting first. There is a way to "personalize" things using "trip" button on your steering wheel. You can find those information in your Owner's manual.
  • ethandouethandou Member Posts: 15
    My new 2011 Sonata GLS Automatic is still within its 600-mile break-in stage. Today when I drove out and stopped at a traffic light several minutes later, the engine stalled just before a full stop! The speed was from about 30 mph and I don't think it was a hard break. The car shook a while before the engine stalled, just like manual car shifted to improper gear. I changed to "P" and started the car again. It seemed nothing happened. Is this a severe quality problem?
    By the way, I often hear some noise like clicking mouse button 5 times per second from passenger side. It only disappears when the shift is at certain gear and I'm not stepping on the gas pedal. After a while after speed is down and shift changes, it sounds again. I don't know if this is normal or I'm too sensitive :confuse:
    Thanks for any suggestions.
  • norm8_lakesnorm8_lakes Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2010
    Well I finally got the Pearl White with camel interior this morning. Beautiful car.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    +1

I'm all for this! Hope it can happen~

This would be one way for Hyundai to steal sales from Honda. Honda is abandoning manuals. If Hyundai became the company that gave the option of a manual throughout the line of its sports sedan, it could become the affordable BMW--which is what Honda has sometimes been called.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    Does you camel interior have woodgrain or black accent panels,and if it is wood,is the woodgrain brown ( like wood ) or black? I too am waiting for a Limited with camel.
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    Wood trim inside Limited Trim level Camel interiors is black. I got to spend some time in new Limited models with Camel and Wine interiors. Dave Edwards Hyundai here in Spartanburg, SC had two Phantom Black models one with Wine, one with Camel. I definitely don't like the Wine in person...I'm a bigger fan of the Camel. But yes, the woodtrim is black, not brown.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I have the SE but the car has never stalled, even during the break in period. It is possible it was just a one-time sort of thing that will go away on it's own, but if it happens a few more times I would take it into the dealership. I also have not heard the clicking noise so I'm not sure what that's about. I know this is not too helpful but just didn't want you to put up with it if something is actually wrong (maybe a sensor?)
    I always thought wood was brown not black. I guess my Limited with the camel will have to go from the dealership to the detail shop. It should be in about the 10th of April.
    If you get a wood kit, please post pix... I am considering doing one.
    I have a Limited model about for a month but have not had any engine issue or ticking sound from a passanger seat.

I would give a call to service dept of your dealer and let them know and check if they have any idea about it.

They probably have no idea at this point but you can report it to them at least. When it happens again, you can call them right away and they might want to tow your car in.

I believe there is a sort of "black box" that keeps last electric signal about for 20-30 seconds. So once they tow your car in, they can analyze it to see what causes the issue. However, if you restart your car and move, those records will be overwrited with new data.
  • caseybrucaseybru Member Posts: 47
    While I was signing papers for my GLS , I heard about a lady's car doing same "stall". It turned out she had accidently shifted to the manual side and it flooded her engine. The mechanic that was sent to her , shifted to Park and everything was fine. She was just doin a test drive. Also, always make sure your gas cap is screwed on proper or your test engine light will come on. My problem with no horn sound when panic button depressed is still open for counsel. I have studied my manual very close. I called the dealer and they guess the "fob" has lost memory. I tried both my fobs and neither of them cause horn to sound but they open and close locks and lights flash for 30 seconds when panic button depressed and when theft is armed and I pull on door lever. I believe it is in the alternate horn that serves the keyless fob. Any ideas appreciated.
  • ethandouethandou Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty sure the gear was on "D" because I remember I pushed the shift stick all the way up to "P" when restarting the car. No lights were on in the panel until the stalling that caused 3 lights on. I only remember one of them is "ESP". Anyway, I'll report to my dealer on Monday. Hope it won't happen again. :lemon: :confuse:
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Is it just me or do others think the color coordinated(with the leather color) trim on the steering wheel look tacky in anything other than the black interior?

I agree and I want the camel interior. Is there anything that can be done about that? After market or request a black steering wheel? Cover or something? Although on second look I guess it's not as bad as I had remembered going by this picture:

Camel Interior
  • yoonnyyoonny Member Posts: 33
    I leased a 2011 Pearl White Limited with black leather interior to replace an Acura TSX. Here are some observations after 3 days of ownership.

Pearl white is beautiful.
    Eco light makes me want to drive like a grandpa. Been averaging 34 mpg in mixed driving per the trip computer.
    I and many many other people can't believe this is a Hyundai.
    Everyone thinks this is a luxury brand car.

Surprises:
    3 blink lane change signal
    Little light by sunroof button (but doesn't appear to be a mood lighting)
    Dimension stereo sound is great

Dislikes (nitpicking):
    Horn (supposedly being replaced with stronger horn for currently built sonatas)
    No light inside the center console
    No digital readout for automatic temperature

Things Hyundai should consider for 2012:
    Power passenger seats
    Auto up/down for passenger window
    Trunk cargo net
    Put instant MPG info together with average MPG info like Acura (it's more fun to look at both at the same time)

4 cyl engine noise is similar to TSX. It's got plenty of power and the car is very quite when driving, very little wind or road noise. Steering feel is good, suspension to me feels just right, not soft but not too hard. Overall, I am impressed with the new Sonata and this has to be the best value whether you lease or buy. More updates comings soon. Ask any questions you may have.
  • andyfromvaandyfromva Member Posts: 79
    I agree with power passenger seats.
    Again, when you report to your dealer, ask them if they want to tow your car to check the recorded information on your car when it happens again. I hope it won't happen again, however, if it will happen again, it would be better happen sooner.
    Its the woodgrain brown. I would send some photos, but I don't know how to send it on this site.
    Here is the photos of my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited Pearl White w/camel leather interior.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nba47/sets/72157623641980373/
  • dash5dash5 Member Posts: 421
    Says I have to log in to see them Norm. Can you make them public somehow? Congrats on the new car!
    try it now
    Great pix Norm. The wood is a very dark brown. I understand now how many thought the wood was black. I have a Pacific Blue with a Gray interior coming. I'm not sure if I will keep the Piano Black accents, or try to change to a wood of some sort.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Looks like Hyundai is borrowing more and more design bits from the European manufacturers. On the Sonata, those include the turn signals in the mirrors (although non-European cars increasingly have those too), the 3-blink turn signals, and the little light overhead that illuminates the shifter below. My 2007 Rabbit had all of those features. I really got to like the 3-blink turn signals--I wish all cars had those.
    edited April 2010
    There is a digital readout for the temperture built into the radio.
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    There is a digital readout for the temperture built into the radio.

No, that's for the outside temperature. But there is none for setting the auto temperature controls. It's a dial knob.
  • montag311montag311 Member Posts: 8
    I am also driving an Acura TSX and am strongly considering a Sonata Limited for my next car. I would be interested in hearing your opinions concerning the ride quality of the Sonata vs. the TSX. The TSX rides moderately firmly, in my opinion, and I'm hoping the Sonata is a little softer. I don't expect the Sonata to handle as well as the TSX but I'm willing to trade a little handling for a more comfortable ride.
    edited April 2010
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about outside temp.
    edited April 2010
    Hey everyone - I got a bunch of pictures at the Auto Show that I wanted to share in case anyone is interested. The Sonata Turbo looked pretty much the same on the outside as the 2.4L aside from the badge on the back. The one on display didn't have the outside turn signals so it appeared to be an SE.

The Hybrid was pretty different outside, with a much more feminine look (IMHO) than the regular Sonata thanks to the removal of the flashy grill and some other exterior changes. Overall I liked the look, but not as much as the regular Sonata's. I guess getting 37mpg city would be nice though.

The Equus is a beautiful car. Interior features and quality were superb, and hopefully Hyundai will be able to convince current Lexus/Mercedes buyers to consider it. Like the Genesis, there is little reminder that the car is actually a Hyundai from the outside.

Sonata 2.0T -

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs442.snc3/25392_545491633812_581033- - 87_32008211_8340383_n.jpg

Hybrid -

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs462.ash1/25392_545490236612_581033- - 87_32008081_2435053_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs442.snc3/25392_545490231622_58103387_32008080_75- - 72699_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs462.snc3/25392_545490241602_581033- - 87_32008082_4299362_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs462.snc3/25392_545491663752_581033- - 87_32008217_4164047_n.jpg

Equus -

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs462.snc3/25392_545491638802_581033- - 87_32008212_1018097_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs462.snc3/25392_545491643792_58103387_32008213_70- - 83195_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs462.ash1/25392_545491648782_581033- - 87_32008214_464814_n.jpg
  • 2011limited2011limited Member Posts: 30
    'and the little light overhead that illuminates the shifter below' ......

Where is this 'little light'?

TIA
  • gary045gary045 Member Posts: 81
    To anyone, I have a question about the drive with cruise control on since I take a long trip every yr.

Does the tranny shift down often while going up a minor grade or hill? Is there a control feature to not let the tranny shift down? I think the older Sonata had it.
    It seems like the 2011 Sonata would downshift more often now that the eng RPM is slower while cruising at 70.

The reason I ask is I had a GM that had a very stupid transmission that would downshift at the slightest grade, speed back up to 70mph, then shift back into overdrive before hitting the top of the grade, then it would downshift again. Needless to say it was very annoying to me.

That was one reason I bought a manual shifting car the last time, no more stupid transmission.. :)
    The transmission is pretty good about knowing when a shift is necessary. If anything, it will keep it in a gear with decent power (like 5th) until the slight incline is over, then go into 6th to save gas. But it's definitely not back and forth all the time. Of course you could always just put it into manual shift mode and the gears will hold until you change them or the engine is about to stall.
    Those Equus pix are sweet! I currently have a 2011 Sonata Limited on the way.
    It will probably arrive while I am in Seoul next week. It amazes me how far Hyundai has come in the last 10 years or so.

My work has me traveling to Asia 2x a year to meet with our Vendors. (Including Samsung, LG etc..) I have been traveling to Korea since 1991. When I would arrive at the Airport, I was always picked up in a Cadillac, or Mercedes sedan; never a Hyundai.

I watched over the years as the Korean cars evolved from smoke-belching jalopies, to their current state. In the late 1990’s I had the opportunity to ride in a few of the Sonatas, and noticed the improvement. In 2000, I got picked up in an Equus, and I was blown away! I thought it was a re-badged Lexus or something. My hosts pointed out that it was a joint venture with Mitsubishi, and that it was about a $80,000 USD car. I also had a chance to ride in a few XG/Grandeur, and was impressed. In 2001, I bought my Mother in Law a Sonata. In 2002 We got my Wife a Santa Fe, and a used 2000 Sonata for my kids. All of them were great vehicles with no significant problems.

This past summer, we traded my Son’s 2000 Sonata (With 155K miles) on a 2009 Sonata GLS. During that time I also test drove a 2009 Limited, and was pretty impressed.

I recently decided it was time to replace my 2003 Infiniti G35 RWD. It’s been a great car, but since I have moved back to the Chicago Area, it can be challenging to drive in our winters.

I considered buying several cars including; Buick LaCrosse, Ford Taurus, Ford Fusion, Infiniti M35X and G37X. I also test drove the 2011 Sonata Limited, and was very impressed. I came very close to getting the M35, but I got seriously low-balled on my trade. :mad:

On the way home from the Infiniti dealer, I passed a gas station where the price had just changed to $3.05 a gallon for Reg, and $3.25 for Premium, that the M requires. :confuse: It made me question why I should spend $15K more for a car, and then spend more on gas, insurance etc… No, it won’t outrun the G35, but after carefully weighing the value, I pulled the trigger on the Sonata. :shades:
    Doesn't look as bad in that picture but I still don't like it. It's obviously a personal thing but I don't know that there would be anything you could about it. I don't believe you can order anything out of the ordinary on Hyundai or many of the others either. I would be concerned with dirty/oily fingertips darkening the areas around the buttons on the camel.

Maybe it's something that just takes getting used to as this is a little different look than most cars have on the steering wheel.
    Montag311,

I've never driven a TSX, so can't give a comparison between that & the Sonata Limited, But did compare an SE vs the Limited. Two different sales people didn't want to oblige me with a drive in the Limited after the SE, both saying there was no noticeabe difference. But I insisted, and they were wrong ( or just lazy ). I mean how can one have a sportier suspension, 18' vs 17" wheels & lower profile tires and not feel different? The Limited did have a more comfortable ride. The SE was fine for a test drive, and everyday trips. But I'm getting older, and suspect if I took a longer trip and put 1K miles under my butt in a day, that stiffer ride would start to really get noticed. I prefer the look of the SE ( 18" wheels & dual exhaust ). But at my age, prefer to impress those on the inside, more than those on the outside.

Tuckerdog1
  • yoonnyyoonny Member Posts: 33
    07 TSX vs. 11 Sonata Limited
    TSX is certainly more nimble and suspension feels like a true sports sedan. Sonata however is not far behind in terms of stiffness of the suspension even on the limited model. It certainly doesn't feel like a Camry. The seats in Sonata are as supportive as those in the TSX. I have not gone above 3,000 RPM yet and turned corners fast so the true comparison has to wait. I find the Sonata just right in terms of ride comfort and handling. Hyundai may not have the true and tested Honda steering accuracy yet but I feel they are very close and something non professional drivers would notice. Brake feel is very good. Sonata is much roomier, has huge trunk space and feels $10,000 richer although it's priced a lot lower. Did I mention great stereo system? Also, Sonata's door closes with a thud whereas TSX feels cheap.

There is a little light by the sunroof switch. However, it's not strong and does not create any "mood" lighting by the console.

I uploaded lots of pics of my Pearl White Limited w/o Navi. One of the pics show where the light is:

http://www1.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=2340350017/a=7356081_7356081/ots- c=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

More wishes for 2012:
    Memory seats with separate key fobs for driver 1 and 2.
    Auto window open feature from the key fob