Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• jaimzjaimz Member Posts: 15
    Great weather???? Let me see....I live in Reno.....it snowed today. In fact, we'll probably have roller coaster weather for another month or better. Maybe SanDiego has all the nice weather...but the rest of us on the W. Coast have some goofy-[non-permissible content removed] weather and [non-permissible content removed] deals thank you.

Regardless, I love my Sonata. I keep getting "It looks like a Mercedes."
  • jaimzjaimz Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2010
    I don't know about you, but I'm pretty content with having an original on the road.

I can't stand the copies on the road....you know....every other car is a Toyota Corolla or an FJ Cruiser. My gosh, how many of those do I see about every block!?!

I'm sure the day will come when Sonatas are as commonplace as those cookie-cutter cars. For now, enjoy being unique.
  • syitalian25syitalian25 Member Posts: 303
    I agree, I do not really like seeing others on the road because I like having the nicest car other than things priced much, much higher. At least I can take solace in the fact that I have the SE, which has some visual upgrades, and I suppose the Limited people can brag about their turn signal mirrors and sunroof.

When the 2.0T comes which all have 18'' rims, duel exhaust, and panoramic moonroof, then I will be jealous haha.
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    The guy said he lived in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA , nice weather, you live in RENO Nev. which is not on the west cost, unless California had a resent earthquake and now Nevada overlooks the pacific ocean.Yes, it does look like a Mercedes
  • larry134larry134 Member Posts: 40
    The guy said he lived in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA , nice weather, you live in RENO Nev. which is not on the west cost, unless California had a resent earthquake and now Nevada overlooks the pacific ocean.Yes, it does look like a Mercedes
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Say, what? Darn. Guess I'll have to tell the kids that our beach vacation to Reno is now a mountain vacation. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• herbie10herbie10 Member Posts: 13
    My 2011 Sonata has been at my dealerships collision center for 6 weeks now. They are still waiting on the driver's side airbag. All the other parts have been received. I've talked to the dealership and the told me to call Hyunday USA. I have talked with them twice and they told me they have tried to expedite the airbag. The last time I talked with Hyundai USA was this past Monday. They're basically telling me there is nothing they can do. My new Sonata has now been at the collision center longer than I got to drive the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to do to try and get my car back?

Thanks....
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Talk to Hyundai USA, remind them you have been waiting for SIX WEEKS, and ask them why they can't have the plant in Alabama FedEx the airbag to your dealership by tomorrow. (Does the plant have no phones or email?) Also ask them what Hyundai will do to compensate you for your loss of your new car for six weeks (hopefully they have at least provided a free loaner during that time).
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    With it being basically a new design, major parts are probably scarce now due to them going to models being produced, that anyone will have trouble getting parts in quickly. There really isn't much you can do at this point it's all in the hands of the part supplier. I knew this guy that had bought a Dodge Charger R/T when they first came out and he had gotten into an accident after only having it for a month. He didn't get his car back until 2 months later mostly due to parts delay for such a new car. Needless to say he was not happy, but there was nothing he could do.
    The first day I had flats and they tried to scam me into getting new rims (later they said they were not necessary.. after I told them the rims were fine and it was just a pair of flat tires they took "a better look" and realized they just wanted to charge me a few grand for all new tires/rims).. but at first for the rims and stock 18'' tires they said it was going to take at least a few weeks because everything had to be ordered.. such a pain having to get everything shipped in. I just went with two replacement tires so I wouldn't have to wait.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    edited April 2010
    REF: 2509
    Are you hard on your SE? Did they pay for the tires under warranty?
    Do you regret getting the black color? I have an awesome lease deal on the table but the only colors in stock at the dealer are black/gray interior and i am wavering.
    edited April 2010
    - I ride the SE hard in terms of driving 80+ on the highway, passing people over dotted yellows, etc., but that time I was taking it out on a twisty mountain road and an over-sized rental truck ran me onto the shoulder, and thanks to the long, hard winter and no money for the town to do repairs the shoulder was apparently jagged spikes of broken pavement. Both passenger side tires went flat, which wasn't covered under warranty because it is road damage (although the towing was covered, thankfully). $530 for two new non-OEM tires and an alignment/balance - that dealer still ripped me off, but I didn't have much choice and they knew it. I will not be going back to their service department. FYI it is Curry Hyundai in Peekskill, NY for anyone in the area, I have had some good experiences with Healey in Beacon though where I purchased the car.

- I love the black color. It does take a bit more cleaning than my previous gray, but when it shines it is the most elegant and luxurious color IMO. The silver and pearl white are also nice if you are into that sort of thing, but I think the black looks closer to a Mercedes than the other two. After doing some review of online photos, I have found out that my dealer called the interior "gray" but it is actually the black, which I like a lot more than the gray (see pictures below). So I would recommend going with black/black if you can get it. The black exterior does tend to show small scratches and what-not a bit, so I would highly recommend some premium polish to get them out and keep it looking new.

Check out this site - http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Catego- - - ry_Code=QO - I ordered Z-5, Z-6, and Z-16, I will post pics when it is done :D

Gray Interior - http://images.dealerrevs.com/gtgallery/photo.php?id=26818223

Black Interior - http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=17527
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Member Posts: 210
    This is a gorgeous car. and I really really want it. Too bad my current ride is fairly new (2009 Mazda 6). Hey if anyone from Hyundai willing to exchange my Mazda 6 for a Sonata, I can give you some good advertising. But I just cannot afford to lose money trading in at the moment.
    Love the car; hate the camel interior on the GLS. What were they thinking? I am so limited to color combos on the GLS because the 2-tone camel interior is hideous (yes, hideous). Has anyone bought the camel interior? I get a headache just looking at it online in photos - am i crazy?
    Reason I am pissed is there are only 5 exterior colors with the gray interior and i don't want silver, black, or that boring harbor gray. That leaves the "flaming" indigo blue or the beautiful pacific blue pearl. Try finding a pacific blue pearl GLS with PEP1 in the Midwest - not too many available and they won't deal on them b/c they know people will pay up for that particular combo. Fortunately, I have a good Accord deal on the back burner BUT I really like the Sonata better.
    Love to vent on here sometimes ;)
  • schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    Received my mud guards from Shark Racing exactly 1 week. Installed today with offset ratchet philips screwdriver. They must be made by Hyundai because all the screw holes (3ea front 2ea rear) lined up perfectly with wheel wells. Paid $45. I wonder what the dealers will be asking when they get stock. I will try to take pictures tomorrow to post.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    edited April 2010
    I think these guys have 2. MSRP 21765. GLS With PEP and mats matches that price.
    http://gartnerhyundai.com/
    edited April 2010
    There have been some report on another forum about a glitch on the USB where playback hangs up if there are folders that start with the same name. Example; Eric Clapton, and Eric Clapton and Tracy Chapman. The unit will only see one folder, and then show the other folders songs in the first folder. It seems that the issue can be solved by renaming one of the folders. I just put an extra space between Eric and Clapton.

You can read more here:
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?showtopic=47402&st=20&gopid=315825&#entr- - y315825

(I hope posting another forum link is not a problem... my apologies if that is an issue.)
    There is another one at the dealer I purchased from.

http://www.elginhyundai.com/new/Hyundai/2011-Hyundai-Sonata-211383f77f00000101d7- 2a6c81b68429.htm

They were good on my deal.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I guess the color is more important to some than to others.

Everytime I've bought a new car I always concentrated on the deal first. Once a deal was struck I considered the colors available, picking the one I liked best. (One of them was always OK, usually within the first two preferences.) The only color "thing" I had was no real light interior color seats.
  • mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2010
    With wine interior. I haven't been able to catch a nice bright day for pics, but these will give you an idea.
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2039098870054091436CQYsRc
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2322349480054091436HyCXWG
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2137253950054091436dGXNlh
    http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2126869310054091436LLmDXE
    Everything about the car looks better in person than in pics!
  • moontrainmoontrain Member Posts: 83
    I picked up my Black Plum Pearl Limited Two days ago, this has leather camel interior. I think the leather looks better than the cloth. The only thing I don't like is the wood grain. It is to dark. I am taking it to a shop and putting in a different wood grain ( more of a brown color ). If someone can tell me how to post pics on this site I will. When the sun shines on this color is it nice.MSRP was $28200( NAV, mats and wheel locks) and I got it for $25500 plus all taxes. I LOVE THIS CAR.
  • ej2010ej2010 Member Posts: 12
    I got an offer of 20900 OTD for 2011 Sonata GLS with Pep02 and carpeted floor in Chicago.
    Is it a good deal?
    ref:2522
    Need more info to make a judgment on that deal: msrp? pep2? tax rate? fees?
    You can't just post OTD and ask if it's a deal; did you have a trade?
    Here are the details:
    2011 Sonata GLS Auto
    PEP02
    Carpet Floor mat
    MSRP: 21,765 (Invoice: 20,818) from edmunds
    Tax 7.5%
    No trade.
    odt: 20900-This offer includes everything above + doc fees.
  • rhodiumrhodium Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone,
    I'm here to share my joy of bringing home a new 2011 Sonata Limited w/Nav. It was like 60 mile drive back from dealer to my home and all 60 miles were exiting. No dull driving experience. It is Black Plum with Camel interior.
    I have a question for the owners. Some sites indicate that 2011 Sonata has 'Heated Side mirrors'. I couldn't see neither in manual nor controls. Do any of you has heated side mirrors?
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    I have a question for the owners. Some sites indicate that 2011 Sonata has 'Heated Side mirrors'. I couldn't see neither in manual nor controls. Do any of you has heated side mirrors?

According to the manual, they go on when you turn on the rear defroster.
    Thanks for the reply. How do I know whether they are heated side mirrors or not?
    I took pics of my car with self installed mud guards from Shark Racing but I don't know how to insert the pics. in a message.
    I test drove Sonata GLS Auto and Accord LX Auto back to back.
    Interior design of sonata is very upscale; the ambiance felt much more expensive.

Few cons noted:
    -seat is nice but less support for thighs
    -power, ride and handling are not as good as I expected (may be because of too much expectations)
    -exterior styling is overdone and exagerated, felt intimidating.

compared with accord:
    -much better ride and handling than sonata
    -felt more power than sonata
    -better seats
    -felt very ordinary inside and outside, nothing notable

Any thoughts???
    Was the Accord a 4 or a 6 cyl. I found just the opposite in handling. I thought the Sonata held the road better and had better turn and cornering. I also found the Sonata to be about $4k less with a better warranty. My 4cyl SE is fast enoughh for me.
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    if its an Accord LX, it had to be a I4, Accord V6 models only come in EX and EX-L trims.
  • shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    The current Accord has to be one of the most boring looking, generic cars out there, and I really liked a lot of the models from a few years back.

BTW, isn't comparing a GLS and a LX apples and oranges? Shouldn't it be Limited and LX?
  • midas69midas69 Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the reply. How do I know whether they are heated side mirrors or not?

According to the brochure on the Hyundai website, standard on all models.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The GLS and LX (Accord) are the base models of both, so that is an appropriate comparison. If the GLS had a power seat, then the best Accord comparo would be the LX-P.
    I like the previous generation accord (and TSX ) better.

Accord LX-P (4 cyl) and Sonata GLS with PEP 02 are comparable in my opinion.

I am getting following offers:
    Accord LX-P: 20,650 + ttl + doc fee

Sonata GLS with PEP02: 19300 + ttl + doc fee

So the difference would be around 1.5K, OTD in Chicago with no trade. I am little confused, most probably I will get a Sonata.

May the Sonata SE has better handling than Accord. I am not talking about 0-60 time. I felt ride is slightly better in Accord than Sonata. I am used to stick shift, which is better in handling.
    How do you compare the driver seat support?
    no it isn't apples to oranges unless you consider the Sonata GLS's higher level of standard equipment to be a bit above the low feature content of the Accord LX. The Accord LX is the base trim level and competes with the GLS. The GLS with the PEP competes with the LX-P, EX models compare more with the Sonata SE and the Accord EX-L competes more with the Sonata Limited. Traditionally the Accord DX has been base but with this generation the Accord LX is the base model. LX had always been the "mid level" trim before this generation. The Sonata wipes the floor with the Accord on standard equipment, we'll see what Honda does for the Accord MMC this fall.

For the sedan Accord comes in LX, LX-P, EX, EX-L, EXV6 and EX-LV6 trim levels. The Sonata Limited competes with the Accord EX-L.
    I'd take the Sonata GLS PEP over the Accord LX-P. Better styling, nicer interior, more feature content, etc. etc.
    edited April 2010
    REF: 2524
    Must be some other incentive there (military or loyalty?) to get to that price.
    msrp 21765
    sell 19303 (very low!)
    tax 1448
    fees 149 est.
    OTD (out-the-door) = 20900 is a steal of a deal (if true)

If it was me and i could get that deal here in OH, I'd buy it today. Sonata has 198hp while Accord LX-P has 177 - not sure why you said Accord felt more powerful. I have driven both and am still currently comparing leases on both. Honda dealers are dealing on the Accord while Hyundai, not so much. Lease terms are very favorable for the consumer this month. Honda terms are better with zero disposition fee (Hyundai's is $400) BUT you get more standard equipment for the dollar in the new Sonata.
    sell 19303 (very low!)
    This is regular selling price as per zag. I just checked the American Express/ZAG for the same configuration and it comes to 19276 (Invoice: 21027).
    I bought my limited for 25693 OTD based on zag. I don't know whether it is a good price or not but got the one me and my family like (Plum with Camel interior).
    REF: 2539
    I was going by truecar.com (20024 minimum) & usaa.zag 20025. How does the amex program work? Do i need to possess an amex card?
    edited April 2010
    How does the amex program work? Do i need to possess an amex card?
    It is same as usaa.zag. zag portal been used by Overstock, AAA, CapitalOne and Amex. No need to possess Amex card. I used amexnetwork.zag.com and got my price certificate.
    To other Sonata Limited Owners, is 24745 + TTL + Processing (25693) a good price or bad? What do you think ?
    edited April 2010
    REF: 2539
    I don't know how you got to 19276; posted below is copied from zag using either my Ohio zip code or one from Chicago (60616). In both cases, the lowest price is 20024; so 19300 is a great deal...

INVOICE MSRP YOUR PRICE
    Base $20,264 $20,915 $19,261
    Options $763 $850 $763
    Incentives $0 $0 $0
    TOTAL $21,027 $21,765 $20,024

Hope "ej2010" can get it for 20900 out-the-door.
  • petdogdfwpetdogdfw Member Posts: 26
    I am in the Dallas area and have been unable to get a Red Limited either. None in this area. I wanted one with Camel Leather.

However I found a nice Harbor Grey Limited with the Wine Interior. It looks really sharp.
    Ref # 2522

I got a Black Plum Pearl Limited with everything on it ( NAV,floor mats, wheel locks ) MSRP $28200. I got it for $25500 plus taxes. That was 9.5% off MSRP.
    The Limited has heated side mirrors.
    That is a good price. I got the Limited with Nav and the floor mats for 26K. The price on the window sticker was 28,215
    On my 2005 Sonata they work when you put on your blower and front window defrost.
    I too have a Black Plum Limited with camel and I am taking it to a shop and taking off the dark wood ( black ) trim and having a trim that is a brown wood look.
    QUOTE "... I too have a Black Plum Limited with camel and I am taking it to a shop and taking off the dark wood ( black ) trim and having a trim that is a brown wood look"

Moontrain.... please post where you got your trim, the style and PIX if you can!
    Originally I was set on the Limited with Camel Interior with the red exterior but none were anywhere near here in Texas.

I found the Harbor Grey with the wine interior and it looks awesome. I like it more everytime I get in the car.
  • mexjohnmexjohn Member Posts: 74
    Anytime you need to defrost the rear window, your mirrors are likely going to be fogged as well. When you turn on the rear defroster, you'll also see the mirrors are clearing. That's how you will know. Enjoy!