Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    For the first time in my memory, I got an example of the sulfur smell from a vehicle. I had a V8 Sequoia stink on me when I was behind it at a stop light. Ewww. That was nasty, for all of a second. I followed it for a while and it never happened again. Strange. Sounds like a good tailgater weapon. :)

Wouldn't stop me from buying one though...
    I was looking at 2003s with the cladding at my local dealer. He had a V6 SR5 and V8 SR5 left, both with cladding. They both had JBL, moonroof, side air bags. Stickers were around $34K. I wonder what a good price would be for them... Any opinions? I'm not too far from Cliffy1.
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    <<Stickers were around $34K. I wonder what a good price would be for them... Any opinions?>>

Rogers12,
     I know all this is very regional, but....The ads in the recent Sunday papers here (Northern CA) have dealers listing new '03 4Runners at $5000 off factory sticker. One ad claimed they had one available at $5600 off MSRP. Mine was $5000 off MSRP, which included a $1000 Toyota rebate on '03 trucks. Sure, you give up color choices, etc. but there are still some good deals left out there. Good luck.
    Larry
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Thanks for putting me in my place, even though I was only joking about the spelling error. Tidester, I was hoping no one would catch my typo b/c I noticed it after I posted it. Haha, all in good fun.
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    martin45: You sign off with 'peace' after a tirade like that? My V8, build date 2/03, smells just fine and the vehicle overall is fantastic!

Wouldn't trade it for anything on the market.

Looks like you lost BIG money, not us.
    In regards to your comment martin, there actually hasn't been much talk about the sulfur smell here in a little while now. One person just asked about it on their 2004, but other than that it's been quiet for a while (much to your dismay I'm sure).

Like we said months ago to you when you were constantly flooding this message board with your disgruntled messages, get over it. You said your peace probably a 1000 times now. Once again, it's kind of ridiculous for you to call this vehicle a piece of crap, when so far the problems have been minor problems that have are accepted by most for first year designs, except for the sulfur smell of course. Granted that problem is big for many people, but to label the whole truck a piece of crap is just ignorant. That problem is again the result of an emissions system which is rated a ULEV and its catalytic converter. With high sulfur contents, you will have some problems with smell, that's life, but I think on the whole, their decision to make this vehicle a ULEV was a good one. That's my .02. I don't wish to start another flame war, but I just didn't want martin's constant barrage to start up again.

-Jared
    Were these quotes for cladded or painted vehicles? I am hoping to do much better on a cladded vehicle. I half kiddlingly offered a roving salesman $27k for the V8. He seriously doubted that was resonable, but I pointed out that they are loosing money on these vehicles every month they sit here (and they have been there for a while, no doubt).

PS, the V8 was a dark grey and looked really sharp, if you can get past the cladding. :)
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I have the 03 Sport in Titanium with the gray plastic cladding. That makes it extremely rare and is much sought after by collectors of exotic vehicles. I believe one similar to mine was recently auctioned at Sotheby's for a substantial amount.
  • martin45martin45 Member Posts: 51
    Do you know if the 4Runner recently auctioned had the the smell problem? If it did, the collectors may put it next to the Ford Pinto they purchased a few years back.

Peace
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    I just bought an '03 V8 Sport in silver with the roof, 6 disc and other minor stuff for $29,400. The sticker was $35,363. That's $6,000 off!! I think I scored a pretty good deal. BTW it has the cladding unpainted and doesn't have the smell. Silver is one of the colors that I don't mind the cladding on, black is the other one.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    Hi all! I am new to the hall and have a few questions.

First off I am a long time Toyota owner and have owned many different Toyota cars and trucks.. Just recently I traded in my '97 4Runner in on a '03 Sport V8 and got it for 6k off the sticker price ($29,400)

My questions are:

One of the few options that I didn't get that I wanted was the side airbags. Can I get these afterwards? I think they are in the seats so maybe it is something that can be done. And in my experience Toyota wires the cars for everything even if you don't get an option you can usually get it and just plug it in.

Also I would love to have a dog barrier made out of stuff like the cargo net. I have a metal one that uses pressure to mount but I don't want to put the marks on the floor and headliner. Plus it is noisy and not really easy to remove and store if I need to. I see alot of other suv's with this type of barrier lately like the Volvo. Any idea on where to get something like that?
  • hnavarrhnavarr Member Posts: 5
    I would never purchase a domestic over a Toyota 4runner. I'll take my chances with a Toyota. A true player.. always plays the odds.
    I'm also losing faith in Consumer Reports. They now reccomend the Ford Focus. This car has more recalls than Gray Davis.
    I love my 04' 4runner with a third seat.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Somebody in this area still has 2003s? That should be telling you something about the ability of that dealer to... make deals. If they had the gray cladding, there is $1400 in dealer incentive money. If not but it is still a 2003, there is $700 coming back. Considering you are getting a year old vehicle, you need to aim pretty low. Without getting into specifics, there is about $3500 mark-up between invoice and sticker. Take another $1400 for the incentive, then another $600 or so worth of hold-back and then see if they are willing to take a net-net looser to get rid of a "lot rock."

For those of you who know me, you know this is not my typical answer. I believe in paying for value and I firmly believe the Runners have more value than the price they normally command. Further, I normally don't get into holdback or "cost" for a variety of reasons. The fact that this dealership still has 2003s laying around tells me the dealer is not on the ball and most likely is not the type of place I would patronize were I a consumer. With that assumption, I say go for blood.
  • hotrod051hotrod051 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks to everyone who responded about the door grips. I think its a little odd that some come with and others without the handles. The next question I have is whether the lights that are in the rear bumper of the truck are in fact lights or are they just reflectors?
  • 2003help2003help Member Posts: 23
    My original Post #8318
    I should have clarified my reason for asking it.
    I live in sunny Southern California.
    A set of snow tire wouldn't be very cost effective when I have to drive 75 to 100 miles just to get to the snow.
    For recreational (emergency) purpose of owning snow chains.
    Should I go down to the local Pep Boys or K Mart and buy the stuff they have off the shelf.
    Has anyone used chains on their 4Runner they could recommend.

Much Thanks
    I'm in Rockville, MD. Maybe out of your area a bit. This dealer is great for used vehicles in that they have a large selection of very new to older Toyotas. I bought my current 4Runner there (2000 SR5). Never bought a new vehicle there.

For a $34K truck, sounds like I was not too far off when I offered $27K. I will keep an eye on them. Like I told the salesman, they don't seem to be going anywhere quickly. :)

Actually, they had three 2003s. Two with cladding SR5 V6 silver and SR5 V8 dark grey. Both SR5s were loaded. Another Limited V6 was "used" and they claim was driven by a manager - a gold Limited V6 (with no cladding of course). Salesman claimed the Limited had 5K miles or more on it. He was pushing me toward the used Limited for some reason.
    I'll bet he has a spiff for selling the Limited. In VA, it isn't "used" unless it has been titled or if it has been "transferred" to more than 5 dealers. In MD, it is used if it has more than a certain number of miles, even it it has never been titled. These are called demos here and it is normal for a dealer to offer bonuses to the salesman who sells it. Typically $250 to $500 is what is offered, but I've seen them as high as $1000. That is likely the reason for the push to the Limited.
    One thing that bothers me is that both the new vehicles had the sticker removed. The grey V8 had is sitting on the seat. The V6 didn't even have a sticker in the interior of the vehicle. Not only does this give me pause about the history of the vehicles, but in the case of the V6, it is difficult to tell the installed options.
    That most likely means they have "prior use" statement. That means they were purchased once and returned, usually due to financing problems. If they are new vehciles, it is illegal to sell them without the Monroney label. If you want to get the price down, ask them how much the fine is from the FTC for not having this. IIRC, its about $10,000.
    you asked:<<Were these quotes for cladded or painted vehicles? I am hoping to do much better on a cladded vehicle.>>

One dealer (the one I bought from) offered $5000 off on all the '03 V8 4Runners. Some of those were clad, some weren't. I chose a factory painted one. He even had a brand new blue truck that had the cladding painted locally to match the body color. The giveaway was that the fender cladding is of a different shape (it has brawmy "bumps" around the wheel wells) than the factory painted trucks. It still hadn't sold, though. Good luck.
    Larry
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Does anyone know what CR actually found wrong with the 4Runner v6?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    In some states it's illegal to own snow chains. I have no idea why. Check with your local/state law enforcement agencies. They should know.
    I'll have to stop down there and figure out what the status of these vehicles are. They had a red and white small sticker on the rear side window. I don't remember seeing anything else. What does this Monroney label look like? Does it have to affixed to the truck? or is it just a matter of disclosure before sale?

likalar - Thanks for the data. :)
  • micksdad1micksdad1 Member Posts: 32
    Motown, I'm looking at the August 2003 issue of Consumer Reports in which they rate mid-size SUVs. The Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 was a "recommended" model. It found the V6 to be "lively, responsive" with "effortless acceleration" but gas mileage that wasn't all that great (16 mpg). I think the information that CR found the V6 model to be not acceptable is erroneous. For further info, check out the issue at your local library.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    1. What does "SR5" stand for?

2. What is the meaning of the Toyota logo? Chevy has a cross/bowtie, Ford has "Ford," and I don't even know how to describe what Toyota has, but it has to mean something, I think

Thank you all in advance!
    A recent post asked about tire chains. Here in the Sierra Mts., I see more and more of the "cable" type chains on light trucks/cars. These are lighter, thiner, quieter than link chains, and may be right for your application. My wife has used them on her small SUV, with great results. Below is an address to a Edmunds aricle and pictures of such a product. Tirechains.com also has info on these, including info on several State chain laws. http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/articles/45790/article.htm- l
    Larry
    SR - S-Runner; a 2WD Tacoma option model equipped with a V6, 5-Speed transmission, and lowered suspension.

SR5 - An optional trim level code found on many Toyota models.

Toyota Emblem - Stylized representation of the constellation Taurus, (basically the letter "T")
  • stephend2stephend2 Member Posts: 21
    Had a set of Michelin 4 x 4 alpin on styled silver steel rims(oem from Toyota) 16 inch installed. I have a 03 sport with the larger rotors and they fit fine. The rims look better than I anticipated and the tires are great. Super on ice, snow and slush. They have a really decent ride on dry pavement and are hardly louder than the stock Dunlops. I recommend this for anyone interested as in the 265/70 x 16 you have a good choice of tires to fit your needs and they are the identical diameter to the 265/65 x 17. For our climate I really had to have the ice/snow tires. I will use the remaining tread on the Dunlops for next summer and hopefully for the summer after that there will more choices in that size. But for anyone in the colder areas you will not be dissapointed in this michelin. f.y.i. better off to buy the toyota wheels as to be sure to fit as I found the aftermarket "multifit" wheels often do not clear the calipers.
    Cheers steve
  • grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    Folks, my V8 4x2 Sport is an incredible vehicle...the power is more than I deserve, the quality is top notch, the looks are flattering and my ego is inflating. I have had the truck for less than two weeks but it has been more than I expected. Looking towards the future, who has opted to go with the platinum warranty and why?
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The cable chains work great & fairly inexpensive at Walmart.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    The Toyota emblem is a bunch of ovals that contain all the letters. T-O-Y-A

Man I think people freak out over a typo from CR. Someone even starts a whole new subject about it in town hall!
    Thanks for clearing it up micksdad1.
  • harryoneharryone Member Posts: 3
    For what it's worth, Consumer Reports current website report on the 4Runner 2004 states:

"The V6's reliablity has been poor, the V8's excellent."
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    I received my 2004 CR buyers guide in the mail yesterday. What coincidence of this topic! Looking up the Runner, all categories were marked 'above average'. It had a recommended check, all Toyota models had a recommended check though, says something about Toyota!

I have heard of ticking noises emanating from the V6 as voiced by members of other Runner forums I frequent, but the noise has been determined 'normal' by the Toyota dealer, factory rep and service technician. The people with the ticking noise are not happy, but again, is this ticking noise considered unreliable data, or just a minor annoyance, as all cars have, due to the newness of the engine design and application?
  • amheckamheck Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone heard anything about the DVD entertainment option on the '04 4Runners? I had originally thought there was no DVD option available, but recently I've seen this option on a few trucks in the SET inventory.

"Dvd Entertainment System (w/srat & Rsa) - ED40 $1,589"

Aaron
    The V6 has a timing chain. The chain is noiser than a timing belt.
    The chain will last indefinitely while the belt has to be changed.

A good trade off considering a belt change costs hundreds of dollars.
    No that's not correct.
    It has a timing chain. Consult your owners manual
    I would recommend against the snow chains that are just the metal strips. Yes they are cheap/quiet/easy to put on, but if you are in a SUV with enough clearance in the wheel well for normal chains, get them. Those stupid strip chains were invented for the folks who were driving lexus or bmw sedans out to aspen or mammoth, I've seen plenty of those cars slip-sliding around town. I haven't bought chains for my 4runner yet, but I have them for my blazer which also has 4wd and snow tires, and trust me, when I've felt like I needed chains, the last things I would've wanted are those strip chains. Usually chains won't be required for 4wd vehicles with snow tires, but when they are, it is usually a serious situation and you want some real chains.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I am old enough to remember when all engines had timing chains. I remember solid lifters, too. I still have feeler gauges I used to set solid lifters, adjust spark plug gaps and set timing points. There were no catalytic convertors, V-8's had dual exhausts that sort of rumbled at idle.
     You could tell by listening what engine the guy next to you had under his hood.
      Timing chain noise gets complaints. Oh my.
  • k2rmk2rm Member Posts: 205
    I agree with Jared completely. I once had a brand new set of cable chains break and take out my brake line of my old truck within the first block after I put them on. What a mess, brake fluid was everywhere and of course the truck wouldn't stop. I have been using link chains ever since without a problem and will never skimp again and will always get a good set of quality chains.
  • amheckamheck Member Posts: 37
    What are those? :)

Aaron, from Tampa, FL
    Apparently, you and Edmunds have to settle this
    It doesn't look like they confused the schedules for the V6 and the V8, since they estimate correctly on the relative cost of spark plugs for these two engines.
  • hnavarrhnavarr Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how I can get information on why the v6 4runner is "unreliable?"
    Where can I find information about reported complaints/problems with this SUV?
    Thanks.
    I OWN THE V6 4 RUNNER. THERE IS NO SCHEDULED MAINTAINENCE FOR THE TIMING CHAIN.
    THERE IS A 90,000 MILE TIMING BELT CHANGE FOR THE V8 ONLY.

rodgers12,
    I don't have to settle anything with edmunds because I don't care if they say pigs fly. I consult my owners manual for proper maintainence. Did you ever think that of all the car info they have on this site they could have, I don't know, missed something???

The V6 has a timing CHAIN with NO maintainence. The V8 is scheduled for a belt replacement at 90K miles. That is per TOYOTA, you know the company that made the truck?
    Chill out. You can do what you want. Personally, I don't give a hoot.

I only quoted Edmunds which is a much more reliable source of information, in general, than you are. Don't forget, you only said that the V6 had a timing chain without any data to back you up. Take you on your word? Not bloody likely. Why don't you state the source of your information in the first place instead of just spouting facts like god. On the internet, facts are as nebulous as the names people hide behind.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Assuming there's no TSB correcting the Owner's Manual <g>, I gotta assume it's correct. Can someone please send in a Feedback Form so our data people can fix it? (I would, but I'm confused and would surely mess it up).

Steve, Host
  • swu12swu12 Member Posts: 11
    My car has become losing control in the rainy day when I hit the break hard or make a quick turn on the stop sign. This makes me realize the ABS seems to be no longer working.

What is the procedure to dignose and fix this problem?
    The owner's manual is correct. There are three timing chains according to my local Toyota part man. Also, previous vehicles with the V8 have 90K timing belt replacement recommendations.
    Look back at your posts. You sourced Edmunds as "gospel" and told me flat out the V6 has a timing belt and I am wrong.

What was my very next post?
    I said THAT IS WRONG. LOOK in the OWNERS MANUAL.

I was very clear and upfront about the information. What is annoying is that you continued on with this without looking in the OWNERS MANUAL.
    Now you claim I'm "spouting facts like god"?

I just read the owners manual on my truck, thats all!